Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
What does expedition organization do in Anbennar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Staltran posted:

It's the expedition version of discipline, reducing casualties and such. It even starts at a level determined by your national discipline level. I don't recall if it directly influences things like event outcomes or the likelihood of pulling bad ones.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Staltran posted:

Improves your chance at good outcomes in the events you get once embarked. Like if those spiderwebs have trinkets and baubles or live spiders that make a meal of your scouts. IME you don't need to buff it much for bronze dififculty, but should probably boost it as difficulty increases, especially if the dungeon's big. Your starting organization is based on your Discipline, just as starting morale is based on, well, Morale.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Anbennar/c...nt=1&utm_term=1

Dev explains the expedition system

tl;dr organization makes you explore faster, reduces morale and supply loss, and improves your event chances. You always want it to be over 100

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

it is too easy for major powers to just, completely subjugate cultural groups that aren't in their group regardless of "acceptance".
If you own the entire netherlands/italy as austria, they probably should be trying to revolt into their own state unless you're giving them frankly absurd levels of autonomy that no player actually would accept

are there any mods that make it harder to control provinces outside of your culture group/religion?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hmm. This province seems bugged

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
It's either bugged or something like: the province was in range due to some colonial range bonus when the colonist was 'sent' and then the colonial range bonus dropped and it was 'out of range'. I know there are like colonial range advisors, but there might be events for it too?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah you gotta full annex whoever is sending the colonist

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Nah the province is f*cked

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

This is due to them forgetting to assign it a port. So the port ended up at the debug province off map. I think you should be able to recall the colonist then let a colonial nation colonize it because they'll have a land connection to their capital.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Not gonna lie, these were 2 of the funnest achievements I've gotten in a while thanks to Riga's Mission tree.

The Orders and Novgorod are Vassals.

As you can see the mission tree supercharges your capital as long as you have less than 6 provinces in Europe, it also enables 2 very loyal vassals by giving them historical friend status (-50% liberty desire), allows you to gently caress with Lubeck's trade league and make your own, and you can also propagate your non-catholic religion via trade which is normally a Muslim-only feature even.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Double post, double cheevos.

God drat this was a mess. No economy, GARBAGE troops, constantly out of mana, no good allies outside the Ottomans for a long time (and then it's a coinflip whether they send troops), just the worst, lmao it was fun.

These are 1683 numbers and going full privateering doesn't feel worth it, you need literal hundreds of ships to get these numbers (admittedly im still missing a few buffs but still), and the treasure ship raids, while great (150-600 ducats per raid), murders your inflation way worse than Gold ever does.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Detheros posted:

Double post, double cheevos.

God drat this was a mess. No economy, GARBAGE troops, constantly out of mana, no good allies outside the Ottomans for a long time (and then it's a coinflip whether they send troops), just the worst, lmao it was fun.

These are 1683 numbers and going full privateering doesn't feel worth it, you need literal hundreds of ships to get these numbers (admittedly im still missing a few buffs but still), and the treasure ship raids, while great (150-600 ducats per raid), murders your inflation way worse than Gold ever does.
I had a lot of fun with that. I'm not your level of good at the game but I feel like my economy wasnt that bad, I just didnt have much of an army (was never at forcelimit) and cheaped out on artillery (only had one army with inf width of artillery, all the other just had enough for siege bonuses). I pirated protected trade in the Genoa node most of the game with my main privateer lightship fleet and had a secondary one privateering Seville for smaller treasure fleet raids. By the mid 1600s I had full cheese on the privateering income, too - every modifier possible, and did funny poo poo like turning the Seville node's trade power pie chart black. It was silly and fun.

edit: I think I went economic early since I had a couple gold mines and didnt want to conquer too much so planned on devving up all the drylands, and it worked fairly well, I think? Once I had Sicily, Sardinia, and Corsica, I forwarded all my trade to Genoa and made big cash money there. Also people in Europe kept declaring on me and I would sink their navies then just sit on the crossings to Gibraltar and Sicily then laugh all the way to the bank.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 3, 2023

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does anyone here use marines

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I keep forgetting that they exist. But they're slightly weaker than regular troops and you still need a full stack of them to be any useful I think?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Jay Rust posted:

Special units are too buried in menus I don't visit for me to use 90% of the time.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
This is one of the things that makes me wait for a sequel. Marines and special units are so unnecessary, it's a spaghetti design.

I also thought that I'd like new government reforms and estate privilieges, but now there are just too many of them and they don't feel impactful or thematically interesting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah special units should be handled via ideas/traditions etc. When I'm thinking about Marines as units I often think that they'd be really good for a country that has lots of sailors and lower manpower, but then yeah I just forget that they exist.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I built marines for the angevin missions that require them

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
special units are the dumbest single feature bloat thing of EU4 dlc

you customized your army via ideas? you know, like the whole point of EU4 where you guide your nation instead of being locked into history?

lol cool but same ideas, some countries still better. a bavarian can never be a swede.

it's like we're rocketing back to EU2 where an Austria game was "speed 5 till your free land rolls in" and Spain was "you own 7/8 of the globe and have 0% inflation? sorry, you just went bankrupt from horrendous inflation, your richest 100% catholic provinces just became a new country that's state religion protestant, get owned lmao"

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 3, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I feel like the new Muscovy tree/update makes use of all of that.

Your entire army can be made up of special units between streltsy and cossack regiments.

You're also kind of forced to work with the boyar estate, and are expected to use several of the cossack privileges but are not forced to.

But like as far as the game goes the spaghetti design is everywhere. The entire UI is a mess crammed with buttons and icons that do or not do stuff depending on a bunch of different things, and if you don't already know about them there's nothing in the game that tells you they exist or what you should be doing with them.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 3, 2023

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Man they really need to make forts bankrupt a nation more (or just loving remove em), getting to level 6+ forts in my current Kazan -> Golden Horde -> Mongol Empire (got the Khaaaannn cheevo :toot:) game and it's just insufferable poo poo that makes me just wanna speed 5 at peace until 1765ish for the Turn the Tables achievement.

This is with regularly rolling 3+ siege generals and a bunch of siege modifiers, the poo poo's just not fun.

Detheros fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 3, 2023

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Detheros posted:

Man they really need to make forts bankrupt a nation more (or just loving remove em), getting to level 6+ forts in my current Kazan -> Golden Horde -> Mongol Empire (got the Khaaaannn cheevo :toot:) game and it's just insufferable poo poo that makes me just wanna speed 5 at peace until 1765ish for the Turn the Tables achievement.

This is with regularly rolling 3+ siege generals and a bunch of siege modifiers, the poo poo's just not fun.

have you ever seen how the AI fights if you have no forts? Forts are the lesser of 2 evils by far, trust me.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

the AI is bad regardless of forts

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
in europe at least, historically, forts should be nigh-impossible to take before cannons, then just collapse instantly for the next hundred years, before the siege mechanics become how they work now (with it being like 6-36 months) after star forts are invented

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I never mentioned how my not mongol/chinese empire game ended, because I dropped weeks ago out of boredom in like 1650.

I tried to game it out on saturday, but I just sat around and did nothing for 100 years besides taking more bites out of whatever was left of the command.

The big disaster is also incredibly trivial if you just read the one government reform you have. Overall fun if you want to paint the map, but bad pacing, and uneven since a lot of it depends on when your ruler dies.

Anyway, dominating the region gives me a bigger trade note than anything in Cannor. Military hegemon seems nearly impossible or really stupid though, like amassing a million sized army is a gigantic pain in the rear end. Also I guess you can have a lot of artificer capacity if you play long enough, but I never do.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Detheros posted:

the AI is bad regardless of forts

it's not bad, it's infuriating. if you have no forts it splits off dozens of 1k stacks to run around and siege everything that you have to manually swat down. it completely loving blows

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Special units would probably be cool if the UI supported them better. As it is you can only build them from the macro builder, not e.g. from the army screen, and there's no easy way to separate special units from non-special units in an army. E.g. revolutionary guard are really strong, -50% drill loss means capped drill loss (-90%?) with 100% professionalism, and they have -20% fire and shock damage received, so -45% at full drill. But actually using them is just such a pain. It would help a lot if there was a button to replace all non-special infantry in a stack with special units, and you could click the plus buttons in the army screen without the new regiments always being normal units. Also would help if most of them weren't tag-dependent.

Also I'm not sure if there's a way to make declaring war not stop all of your armies from drilling, that's really annoying in the late game if you're using drilling (which, honestly, you probably aren't).

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

cock hero flux posted:

it's not bad, it's infuriating. if you have no forts it splits off dozens of 1k stacks to run around and siege everything that you have to manually swat down. it completely loving blows

yeah but when you get big enough, and you're big enough when level 6+ forts show up, you just ignore that poo poo and siege the ai down because it doesn't matter at that point

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Jay Rust posted:

They are v.nice for pirate republics especially. After the nerf to slacken recruitment everyone struggles with manpower. But marines use sailors and pirates recover tons of extra sailors from raiding.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Detheros posted:

Special units are too buried in menus I don't visit for me to use 90% of the time.

they're on the same menu as the other units...? what the heck!

marines are good bc they land faster so you can send a few onto a province to snipe a landing point for the rest of your army.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Having to keep track of differences between armies is more trouble than its worth. Like optimally you should be constantly splitting and merging stacks but I can't be bothered so I make everything the same template and that means marines aren't that great cause I'll never have an army that's entirely marines

Special units that just have an ordinary combat buff, like hussars, are fine, they just mean some of my armies are stronger than others, though I can't be bothered to keep track of which

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You either know about it already or need to scour through every part of the menu and tab to see if there's something you can interact with.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

I don’t for the life of me understand why special units are exclusively in the macro builder.

…With the exception of Banners, right? You still recruit those from the state screen?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tbh what I'd like is a button which is "build this template, using as many special units as possible". Like, you don't always want that, but that's why it's a separate button. Right now it's annoying if like, I'm Poland in the midgame building 6/9/15 stacks and I have to include hussars by manually huilding them, merging them, then clicking conform to template

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

marines have a lot of advantages and you should use them if you have them. a single marine unit salted into an otherwise normal stack reduces landing penalties to -1 (equivalent to a river crossing) instead of -2. marines also don't take any attrition at sea at all, so if you have a stack that cruises around your overseas possessions smashing rebels and small tags (which you will, usually) spending your marine force limit on that stack will save you an enormous amount of manpower in the long run, both from no attrition and spending the always-abundant sailors on rebel suppression instead of manpower.

they are never going to be great in a straight-up fight but that's not really the point of them

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
also the disembark speed is cool if youre trying to land, capture an unfortified province to scorch it/force hostile fleet to disembark, and bug out before the enemy can even walk there
or if youre trying to block a straight and dont have land army superiority, you can just send the marines to capture one side and use your navy to block without having to actually win a land battle

limited usecase for sure; if youre poland marines are probably not helpful

Also not for nothing the detach special unit button now exists and you can hotkey it just like anything else (but the UI for this game is rear end, generally)

Mr. Grinch fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 4, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lostconfused posted:

Anyway, dominating the region gives me a bigger trade note than anything in Cannor. Military hegemon seems nearly impossible or really stupid though, like amassing a million sized army is a gigantic pain in the rear end. Also I guess you can have a lot of artificer capacity if you play long enough, but I never do.

Eh it's not too hard to get if you get big enough, I had 3.5M last time I played till the end in Anbennar, controlling somewhere between a quarter and a third of the world. Maybe bit over a third.

e: It did include all of Cannor + NotIndia and everything between, to be fair.

In general I don't think you're the undisputed number one with that little bit of land to count as a real hegemon. Even looking at the development Lorent clearly isn't far off.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 4, 2023

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
When they've added the first special unit (I think it was Streltsy for Russia?) I expected them to just add 4th type of unit eventually. Generic nations would call it Guards or something, and they'd work as elite troops that have some political power and therefore affect stability cost but also have different name and property depending on the government or culture.

But instead it's, like, the worst. It makes very little sense that only very specific nations have special units, and they often make little sense. These TAG-specific mechanics are both immersion-breaking and arbitrarily limit gameplay. And yeah, they're buried in the UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wait people recruit via the state screen?