Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Skarsnik posted:

I withdraw my appeal

As is the morally correct thing to do

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
International incident is on :siren:

https://twitter.com/albomp/status/1676004264454541312

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Australia have been relaxed and all smiles so far this series. Except like, Smith who's a batting Robot who doesn't have emotion other than sadness he can no longer bat when he gets out.

The English reaction to that of "Its a new aggressive form of cricket" through tear filled eyes while snivelling and sobbing is quite the treat.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
stop posting loving tweets, no one can read them

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I can read them, but videos or poorly cropped photos that just click through to Twitter are useless for me. And it's only all the cricket videos about hypocritical dismissals that make me want to see stuff from twitter. It's broken at the worst time, because after this blows over I'll go back to never clicking on tweets again.

Edit- Dickheads always complain when sports people speak up about political or social issues and talk about keeping politics about of sport. The main thing that should happen is keeping politicians from talking about sport instead.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 4, 2023

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I love the internet. Some legend on reddit dug this up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVmiw2O_vsY&t=651s

Bairstow held onto ball, and did nothing with it, for longer than it took Carey to release the ball at the stumps.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Windmill Hut posted:

Bairstow held onto ball, and did nothing with it, for longer than it took Carey to release the ball at the stumps.

god bless whatever obsessive trawled through hours of clips to find this

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

cagliostr0 posted:

Thinking of this every time McCullum calls Ben Stokes an inspirational leader and good role model

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-45111213

Stokes seems like a bit of a twit, but I'm also quite an advocate for punching bigots, especially as someone who's been in similar situations to that couple. Life is indeed filled with contradictions.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I can't think of any fans with longer memories than cricket fans.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Actually, soccer I guess.

That poo poo is generational.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

a real chump posted:

Actually, soccer I guess.

That poo poo is generational.

My dad consolidated this by buying me a World Cup Encyclopedia multimedia CD-ROM thing when I was a kid. Each year had fitting stock music midis, so Chile 1962 had panpipes, England 1966 had a shameless Love Me Do ripoff, etc. Fun times. My brain has degraded rapidly over the years (I know that's a huge shock), but I've retained some knowledge of pretty much every WC tournament somehow.

I could have had cricket instilled into me instead, but I grew up in '90s UK, so cricket wasn't something we talked about often, lol.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Windmill Hut posted:

Ah well but in that case he was being very smart, which is a good thing and totally different to this case in some way

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Bairstow should apologise if you think about it

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lol Baz is insisting this has fired up the English team.

You know, because an Ashes series where you're down 2 nil on home soil (lol, lmao) isn't enough to get you up for a game.

Shambles.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

serious gaylord posted:

I'd rather be an Aussie than a Tory.

Why not be Brett Lee, and be both?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

iajanus posted:

Ah well but in that case he was being very smart, which is a good thing and totally different to this case in some way

Splendid fellows, brave heroes risking life and limb for Blighty!

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/07/03/baristow-lords-shame-mcc-long-room-members/

quote:

"What surprised me was that it wasn’t better policed, especially given the military career of the chief executive,” reflected one member of Marylebone Cricket Club, before adding: “I mean, he can sort out Afghanistan but he can’t sort out the Long Room.”

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
lmao, famously "sorted out" afghanistan

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

cagliostr0 posted:

Thinking of this every time McCullum calls Ben Stokes an inspirational leader and good role model

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-45111213

quote:

During the trial, which started on 6 August 2018, Stokes said he was defending a gay couple from homophobic abuse from the other two men.[103][104] He was acquitted on 14 August.[105] The couple thanked Stokes afterwards for defending them, saying that he "didn't deserve being put through a trial".[106]

cagliostr0 is pro-homophobe

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Paracausal posted:

stop posting loving tweets, no one can read them

@albopm

I’m proud of our men’s and women’s cricket teams, who have both won their opening two #Ashes matches against England.

Same old Aussies – always winning!

Australia is right behind @ahealy77, @patcummins30 and their teams and look forward to welcoming them home victorious 👏

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Hyperriker fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 4, 2023

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

So the response to the braying of le brigade du pantaloon rouge*, is to blame the help.

:monocle: loving cunts.

*That website was great.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/jomboy_/status/1676061439214366720?s=46&t=NC1Zlm7T4GmzkmF8I1LGRA

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
lol if this forces them to close the long room to members or provide new rooms for the players that don't involve them waking in close proximity to a bunch of drunk tories.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Lmao

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Sorry Jonny, your wicket is in another tower

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Scotland have some dude bowling 152 :dogstare:

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 4, 2023

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That's a lot of mph.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/bbctms/status/1676185880329961472?t=tcvPzw-8KpYoUldR0Bkg9Q&s=19

Not calling up a replacement is bold.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Ratios and Tendency posted:

the power of haggis.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Foakes is right there!!!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

notaspy posted:

Foakes is right there!!!

He must has shagged the wrong person.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

To be fair, he’s missed the first two games as well really

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Imagine the parallel universe where Alex Carey didn’t give up on his first love

England would’ve had to have come up with something else to whinge about, I suppose…

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Good news Cameron Green fans, they've changed the Bairstow wicket to st †Carey b Green

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Seems reasonable. It's just like bowling a guy who didn't play a shot.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Of course we do: not much else to do in Aberdeen.

Zimbabwe out of the World Cup: means that the Scotland-Netherlands game is key: if the Dutch win by more than 36 wins or chase down a target with six overs to spare they qualify; otherwise Scotland do. Honestly it feels like the appropriate end for a World Cup format designed to keep smaller countries out to prioritise test teams: Ireland not close to advancing, West Indies barely any better; the last spot between two teams that if they lose are currently scheduled to play a grand total of 0 ODIs in the next year. They’re going back to 14 for 2027 which is progress: removing the ODI Super League (which guaranteed the Netherlands a bunch of full member ODIs and would have guaranteed the winner of this game) less so.

It’s the not so good thing in this: Cricket isn’t designed for teams to decline or rise up: West Indies next set of internationals is a big tour of India with England coming up at home: Scotland have T20Is against Ireland, Germany, Italy, Austria, Denmark and Jersey as part of the T20 World Cup qualifiers and then they don’t know when their next games are.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The money imbalance is crippling. I don't know how they can fix it short of telling India to get tae gently caress, and India would almost certainly take their ball and go home.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
As an aside, as someone who very much goes in and out of cricket depending on the seasons, I only just learnt that the massive stadium in Ahmedabad (which will host the World Cup final) is now called the Narendra Modi Stadium because lol of course it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

As an aside, as someone who very much goes in and out of cricket depending on the seasons, I only just learnt that the massive stadium in Ahmedabad (which will host the World Cup final) is now called the Narendra Modi Stadium because lol of course it is.

It gets better, at the final he will get driven around in a big gold golf cart.

Both at the start and finish of play.

And probably during the innings break.

And between wickets.

And overs.

Sometimes deliveries.