Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Question, Barbenheimer or Oppenbarbie? (Which one should I see first out of the double feature?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

orange juche posted:

Question, Barbenheimer or Oppenbarbie? (Which one should I see first out of the double feature?)

OppenBarbie

You want to end on a sweet note not a dour one.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

orange juche posted:

Dr. Strangelove

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Soul Dentist posted:

America: eh two outta three ain't bad

More like zero out of three.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
buddy any copay is pretty low if you remember what you're getting: the best god drat healthcare in the world

don't get me started on the guns'n'ammo but you just plain don't have that freedom in most of these shithole countries

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nystral posted:

OppenBarbie

You want to end on a sweet note not a dour one.

Oppenbarbie it is then lol, they luckily had times at my local theater that line up for it. 3 hours of dour introspection about nuclear bombs and then 2 hours of "I work at Beach".

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the nice thing is that with how hot it's been, seeing barbie second means you won't be stuck standing outside in some sort of Barbie-queue.

:dadjoke:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
quote from someone I know at universal - 'please see oppenheimer. we put so much money into it. you don't even have to watch it, just buy a ticket. it cost us so much, please just buy a ticket'

they've been concerned about oppenheimer for like a year. lol, lmao

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

the nice thing is that with how hot it's been, seeing barbie second means you won't be stuck standing outside in some sort of Barbie-queue.

:dadjoke:

Boo this man

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This video is truly :staredog:

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/no-sense-of-urgency-man-who-captured-crack-on-roller-coaster-says/

quote:

popular roller coaster in North Carolina was closed after a video went viral showing a huge crack in one of the ride’s support beams.

quote:

He said it took the fourth person he encountered after he got into guest services to do anything about the situation.

"There was no sense of urgency,” Wagner said. “That was what really concerned me.”

The woman who helped Wagner asked if he could airdrop the video of the crack moving to her phone. She reassured Wagner that she would send the video to someone and then she walked away.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I went to Carowinds as a kid. I shuddered when I read this story. :stonk:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

OppenBarbie style to leave in an upbeat mood is my guess.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1675986290985299968?t=BoadxD5W9TdvEnIeoEyFbA&s=19

Uh there's going to be Acting in this Barbie movie that's probably tougher than whatever Oppenheimer is doing

please don't lose fingat today

Whoever is in charge of the props and set designs for this movie should get an Oscar. Also see the yellow roller blades that are like spot on life size reproductions of those cheap little toy ones.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

quote from someone I know at universal - 'please see oppenheimer. we put so much money into it. you don't even have to watch it, just buy a ticket. it cost us so much, please just buy a ticket'

they've been concerned about oppenheimer for like a year. lol, lmao

I don’t go to movie theaters anymore and barely went even before Covid

Maybe don’t spend a fortune on a niche bio-pic?????

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
as oppenheimer once said, "i am become death, the destroyer of box office numbers"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wrong Theory posted:

Whoever is in charge of the props and set designs for this movie should get an Oscar. Also see the yellow roller blades that are like spot on life size reproductions of those cheap little toy ones.

The set designers apparently bought the entire world stock of certain paint pigments because that was the exact specified fluorescent Pantone pink or whatever and that’s not a very commonly used color for construction.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don’t go to movie theaters anymore and barely went even before Covid

Maybe don’t spend a fortune on a niche bio-pic?????

sir i don't think you understand, christopher nolan was VERY UPSET with warner brothers about Tenet being released to HBO Max and cinemas simultaenously during a not contained global pandemic. when your studio has an opportunity to work with a visionary like nolan after his last studio scorned him, you give him a blank check to make a high-concept, ambitious historical picture. And you sure as h*ck release it in july against light-hearted, fun films that aren't going to require you to go to the theatre with your 'christopher nolan film checklist and association map so you can piece together what you watched after you leave the theatre' kit. this is film industry 101

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’m going to a mix of Nolan and summer light movies in theaters, but I really like going to the theater. And if you’re wuick, you can catch all kinda of foreign films for the 1 week or sometimes 1 entire showing they’re available. Probably hit the theater 2-3 times per month, at least.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I really like it in ideal conditions. Even without worrying about getting sick it was always a crapshoot whether you got a good audience, good equipment, good seating, etc. I remember checking out a matinee of the Interstellar IMAX and having to sit in the very front row, which shouldn't even be an option. Before we moved out of the Denver area we really liked going to the theater restaurants a few times a year, but shortly before we left the one we went to (Movie Tavern) got bought out and jacked the prices way up.

I was just thinking in the shower about how all these conservative entertainment groups flipped their poo poo at once about moving to streaming media. Directors complained it ruined their vision, even though they probably haven't had to watch a movie sitting with the general public in decades. Studios were put in a position where they had to negotiate with providers that weren't as desperate as movie chains. Big-ticket actors had contracts that wouldn't pay out as much if their movies went to streaming.

Nolan is definitely one to talk. He can't edit his movies for poo poo and the best experience is probably some hacker cut that boosts the vocals.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

US Berder Patrol posted:

Low Prices, my fellow Americans. I wish you all low prices on gasoline, rifle ammunition, and on your health insurance copays.

How many cents cheaper is the president’s meal this year, and what did he have to make it come out that way?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah I really like it in ideal conditions. Even without worrying about getting sick it was always a crapshoot whether you got a good audience, good equipment, good seating, etc. I remember checking out a matinee of the Interstellar IMAX and having to sit in the very front row, which shouldn't even be an option.

I wear a mask every time and 99% of movie going now I reserve select seats. If someone tries to take the one(s) I paid for, I have them move.

I also am not big on movies as evening activity (evening is prime outdoor walking/running time), so I like to hit the first showing of the day of that’s an option. 10 AM old folks club.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Universal - "Uh Mr. Nolan, we've been getting kinda concerned about some of the bills you're been submitting..."

Nolan - "I told you, how do you expect me to film an atomic bomb test without a full scale enrichment cascade? Calutrons don't grow on trees you know!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Universal - "Uh Mr. Nolan, we've been getting kinda concerned about some of the bills you're been submitting..."

Nolan - "I told you, how do you expect me to film an atomic bomb test without a full scale enrichment cascade? Calutrons don't grow on trees you know!"

For some reason the Treasury was not interested in lending him four hundred and thirty million troy ounces of silver for those calutrons.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I get why but I still can’t get over how the Oppenheimer trailer is cut like it’s a sequel to his Batman trilogy.

Maybe its just a trick and he turns into Dr. Manhattan at the 30 minute mark.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just got buzzed by two F-35s flying real low over Wisconsin Dells :911:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I love the dells, only been once. Are you going to the House on the Rock this weekend?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Fun fact about this one: Rollercoaster track is slightly springy and flexes to dissipate vibrations. What you're seeing here is that the lower part of the support is out of position from where it should be when the train passes by.

The most likely explanation here is that the concrete footer for the angled support was affected by some ground movement so now it ended up too short to reach the outermost position that the train could be. This isn't that unusual of a problem since roller coaster foundations consist of large amounts of long and thin footers, which are susceptible to comparably small shifts in the soil. Any coaster built by a reputable manufacturer is built with this in mind and will have enough redundant supports for the track to bridge the gap if 1-2 of them fail like this.

The most dangerous situation that anybody was in in this story is the attendant walking around a parking lot full of distracted drivers fumbling with their tickets, satnav, etc, or dealing with hyperactive children in the back of their car all day.

Continuing to operate the ride in this situation will make the park's bean counters very unhappy though, as wear & tear on the track increases exponentially with longer spans and getting a retrack done is orders of magnitude more expensive than casting a new footer and ordering a replacement support beam. With changes in manufacturing costs, Bolliger & Mabillard's most recent full retracks(The Incredible Hulk at Universal Orlando and Nemesis at Alton Towers) ended up being more expensive than the original ride.

What makes this incident notable is that it happened in a very visible spot on a high profile ride, I know of at least three rides local to me that had similar issues in the time that I've been keeping track and none of those made it beyond the park's ride closure announcements page and coaster nerd chatter.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Steel flex so what

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Soul Dentist posted:

Steel flex so what

Since when? Next you'll be trying to tell me jet fuel melts it

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Iffy sourcing on this one, but the patch they put in to keep the water/poo poo out while they actually fix the thing is visually excellent:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Cordobond solves all problems

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

facialimpediment posted:

Iffy sourcing on this one, but the patch they put in to keep the water/poo poo out while they actually fix the thing is visually excellent:

America, visualized.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Infrastructure Week

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Infrastructure Weak

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Discussion Quorum posted:

Infrastructure Weak

Infrastructure? Weak.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
My local film festival / non-profit theater chain is selling BarbenHeimer tshirts: https://siffshop.net/collections/siff/products/unisex-t-shirt

The showings are technically at two different theaters, so a proper double-feature isn't possible, though I'd probably not mind the walk after sitting through 3 hours of Oppenheimer.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

fake as hell, every single town in the carolinas over 500 population has it's own hyperlocal version of The Onion and this is one of them

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Well, Iran is doing weird poo poo again.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1676629087719227398?t=FlijI1Xr2sCJtmNzVZvlIw&s=19

quote:

The US Navy intervened to stop Iranian Navy ships attempting to seize two oil tankers in separate incidents in the Gulf of Oman early on Wednesday morning, according to a US defense official.

An Iranian ship opened fire at the tanker in the second seizure attempt, according to the official.

In the first incident, an Iranian Navy vessel approached the TRF Moss, a Marshall Islands-flagged oil tanker, in international waters in the Gulf of Oman at approximately 1 am local time, the official said. The tanker was through the Strait of Hormuz and heading toward the Arabian Sea when the Iranian vessel approached.

The Iranian ship had no reason to be there or approach the tanker except to attempt to seize it, the official said. A US Navy destroyer, along with maritime patrol aircraft, approached the ships to prevent the oil tanker being seized, the official said, at which point the Iranian vessel changed course and left the area.

But only a few hours later, a second Iranian Navy vessel approached a different oil tanker, the Richmond Voyager, which was in international waters approximately 20 nautical miles off-shore from Muscat, Oman. The tanker was also heading for the Arabian Sea and was even further away from Iranian waters than the first tanker.

As the Iranian ship neared the Richmond Voyager, the tanker issued a distress call, the US official said. The US Navy destroyer received the distress call and sailed at full speed to the scene, the official said. The Iranian ship had already hailed the oil tanker and was in the process of attempting to stop and board the ship when the US Navy destroyer drew closer.

Iranian personnel on board the Iranian Navy ship opened fire at the tanker with small arms, the US official said, hitting the side of the ship near crew living spaces. No one was injured on board the Richmond Voyager, the US official said, and the Iranian vessel left the scene as the US Navy destroyer approached.

Some state-sponsored Somali pirate poo poo.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

oh wow has christmas come early for john bolton and the chickenhawks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
terrible band btw