Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nuns with Guns posted:

I've seen a lot of people saying they're moving to Bluesky now, and the current big barrier to mass adoption there is that it's still in a "beta invite" stage. If it can roll out publicly soon though it might actually become the main Twitter alternative. Which is funny but also depressing because it's just "Jack Dorsey's Twitter 2.0" with even more insufferable tech bro impulses. Cohost is going to go bankrupt very soon and Mastodon will never be able to replace Twitter because you can't really cross-promote or search across federated instances easily, so it'll never be a useful platform for self-promotion or networking.

Wait, what's going on with Cohost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

It's financially not sustainable because it's a programmers' coop made up of people who hate Silicon Valley and app monetisation and therefore will not, for ethical reasons, do all the things social media websites do in order to generate revenue (selling their users' data and putting ads everywhere).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
that's the best pitch for cohost i've ever heard, which is unfortunate under the circumstances

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The problem Bluesky has is that fundamentally it's just not quite ready yet. It has decent but basic functionality for a few hundred thousand people, but unless they either have serious redundancy or open the doors as slowly as possible, a flood of people from Twitter would hit them like a wave hits a candle.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's financially not sustainable because it's a programmers' coop made up of people who hate Silicon Valley and app monetisation and therefore will not, for ethical reasons, do all the things social media websites do in order to generate revenue (selling their users' data and putting ads everywhere).

Guess I'll just have to enjoy it while it lasts, because those are all solid reasons to support it. Glad it's not at immediate risk of falling apart.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

I've seen a lot of people saying they're moving to Bluesky now, and the current big barrier to mass adoption there is that it's still in a "beta invite" stage. If it can roll out publicly soon though it might actually become the main Twitter alternative. Which is funny but also depressing because it's just "Jack Dorsey's Twitter 2.0" with even more insufferable tech bro impulses. Cohost is going to go bankrupt very soon and Mastodon will never be able to replace Twitter because you can't really cross-promote or search across federated instances easily, so it'll never be a useful platform for self-promotion or networking.

Also Bluesky is apparently run by another right-wing doofus but apparently it's not as obvious about it?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Also Bluesky is apparently run by another right-wing doofus but apparently it's not as obvious about it?

It's run by Jack Dorsey, previous CEO of Twitter, who has always been a fascist piece of poo poo.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

King of Solomon posted:

Like Lemon said, they're hemorrhaging money:
https://cohost.org/staff/post/1690393-h1-2023-financial-up

Dawgstar posted:

Jack, the Twitter creator, is on its board of directors. It was a Twitter initiative originally that spun out of it when a bunch of the Twitter executives walked away from Elon with sacks of money and started fiddling with it instead. Jack is one of those affluent libertarian tech bro types who mostly spends his time getting obsessed meditation retreats and enchanting Web3 catnip like NFTs.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's run by Jack Dorsey, previous CEO of Twitter, who has always been a fascist piece of poo poo.

No, it isn’t. The CEO is Jay Graber, Dorsey sits on the board but isn’t running the company.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://twitter.com/b0tster/status/1675208359018913793?t=kP0wEyQEd5kjBCTffRt-Xg&s=19

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

This is a very sad, but not understandable post. I hope they can figure things out because a site like cohost should exist, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up about something that unrealistic. Well, like I said before, I guess I'll just have to enjoy it while it lasts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thank heavens for Tumblr, which famously doesn't have bigotry embedded in its algorithms.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly, it's an improvement over the usual, where the bigotry switch is locked to 'on'

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Halloween Jack posted:

Thank heavens for Tumblr, which famously doesn't have bigotry embedded in its algorithms.

They ever get rid of all those female-presenting nipples?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the sentiment there seems to be "the platform is capable of detecting hate speech, but actively decides to limit its response to a toggle that can prevent you from seeing it, if you want to"

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
IIRC, cohost is also being written by amateurs and rife with technical blunders (in a way that doesn't inspire confidence). Also, I thought I heard about some bad eggs on staff.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

they’re definitely not amateurs

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Whatever replaces twitter and facebook and reddit will probably look very different from twitter and facebook and reddit

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Being able to turn off nazis is actually a pretty great solution assuming they're switched off by default.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

IIRC, cohost is also being written by amateurs and rife with technical blunders (in a way that doesn't inspire confidence). Also, I thought I heard about some bad eggs on staff.

You're almost certainly thinking of Hive.

moths posted:

Being able to turn off nazis is actually a pretty great solution assuming they're switched off by default.

The Nazis shouldn't be there to be turned off because they should be banned.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Lemon-Lime posted:

You are absolutely correct. My mistake/apologies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah that would be cool, but never loving works.

I'll take the imperfect solution of shoveling them into a shadow ban where nobody can hear them except feds.

It's better than Twitter's no solution.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Are you saying banning and deplatforming doesn't work? Because we have plenty of evidence that it works extremely well.

Letting them have an echo chamber on your platform is an incredibly bad idea.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
to be perhaps more charitable than they deserve, the issue might be more "we're using an automated heuristic to tag accounts/content and it's convinced that 'cis' is a slur and Peppa Pig is nudity"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Are you saying banning and deplatforming doesn't work? Because we have plenty of evidence that it works extremely well.

There's also plenty of evidence that it doesn't.

They were getting banned and deplatformed pretty aggressively through 1945, but they're still everywhere.

Inviting them into an obvious watchlist is about the only way to keep them off your platform.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

moths posted:

They were getting banned and deplatformed pretty aggressively through 1945, but they're still everywhere.

Yes, and the efforts to do so were so effective nazi apologist were unable to publish reams of material enshrining the nazi-german military as a heroically outnumbered band of elite soldiers in the eyes of the west.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

to be perhaps more charitable than they deserve, the issue might be more "we're using an automated heuristic to tag accounts/content and it's convinced that 'cis' is a slur and Peppa Pig is nudity"

Sort of, yeah. There’s an automated classification tool for individual posts, and the moderation team (which is too small and makes mistakes) can and does also ban people.

Probably worth keeping in mind that it’s intended to be a distributed service so there’s only so much value to a ban. Distributed is a problem in this sense because it means you can’t stop people from reading your posts in any meaningful way.

Current proposals are here: https://blueskyweb.xyz/blog/6-23-2023-moderation-proposals

Also worth noting that Jay Graber used to be a crypto dev which makes me a bit less trusting of her judgement.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Pakxos posted:

Yes, and the efforts to do so were so effective nazi apologist were unable to publish reams of material enshrining the nazi-german military as a heroically outnumbered band of elite soldiers in the eyes of the west.

We didn't really deplatform though, we put them in charge of Berlin, because those dastardly communists were right next door.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

By the laws as written Hitler should have been executed for the Beer Hall Putsch. He was given preferential treatment and imprisoned instead. This is literally the opposite of deplatforming.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

moths posted:

I'll take the imperfect solution of shoveling them into a shadow ban where nobody can hear them except feds.

Please explain how it's better to identify and let the nazis stay but let people turn off seeing them than it is to identify them and just get rid of them completely.

The identification methods used in either case are literally the same, exactly as many nazis slip past the filter in the former solution as the latter.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i would hope people aren't looking at bluesky or whatever because they think it's woke or something,
its fundamentally that twitter was an enjoyable place to post and follow people, and it isn't anymore because the site is now barely functional

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mors Rattus posted:

Please explain how it's better to identify and let the nazis stay but let people turn off seeing them than it is to identify them and just get rid of them completely.

You can make money off nazi users too. Not saying that’s a good justification but it probably is the reason a platform owner would give

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

moths posted:

There's also plenty of evidence that it doesn't.

:lol: holy poo poo

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

moths posted:

You've made a brave stand on a lot of dumb hills over the years, but this is definitely one of the bigger ones. This is maybe not Everest-tall, but perhaps around a Makalu-sized rise to die on?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i would hope people aren't looking at bluesky or whatever because they think it's woke or something,
its fundamentally that twitter was an enjoyable place to post and follow people, and it isn't anymore because the site is now barely functional

Yeah, I think it would succeed if it can roll out to people because it's the most Twitter-like in function. The filtering tools are absolutely what I'd expect Twitter executives to try to implement after years of saying people don't want to see nazis posting on the platform. "Oh, you don't like seeing nazi posts? Siiiigh well if you really don't want to see them in this town square where we allow free exchange of ideas then here's a button you can press to hide flagged hate groups." [In less than a week the flagging system starts flagging BLM and LGBTQ+ type advocacy accounts as hate groups too.]

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 4, 2023

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

one day I hope to be lucky enough to be deplatformed so hard I get to write a book saying I invented manuever warfare, did nothing wrong and get to retire quietly in bavaria

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Lemon-Lime posted:

Remember how the justification for not going harder on bigotry is because they'd have to ban shitloads of republican politicians as well?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ItohRespectArmy posted:

one day I hope to be lucky enough to be deplatformed so hard I get to write a book saying I invented manuever warfare, did nothing wrong and get to retire quietly in bavaria

Also work at NASA.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Remember how the justification for not going harder on bigotry is because they'd have to ban shitloads of republican politicians as well?
I do not believe they said how many it was, but it was certainly more than a handful of Buford Overseer the IVth types, and I am sure it's only worse now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dawgstar posted:

Also work at NASA.

That's not my department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

This one isn't even hard:

Any social media is going to have nazis on it.

If you publicly signal and advertise that they will be identified by ~some means~ yours will have fewer. They're terrified of being tracked and listed like zika mosquitoes or sick herd animals. Look at how they freaked out about glowies.

You can't eliminate all of them, but you can 1) dissuade and disincentivize by identifying their accounts as hate groups and 2) denying them any audience but having their accounts ignored by default.

The missing piece is a few pressers inviting cooperation with the ACLU, SLPC, and feds about the lists.

Or sure, do the Musk thing and invite atomwaffen back on or whatever the gently caress. Nobody listen to me, I only have bad ideas

e: You don't get rid of them by saying you don't want them. You get rid of them by being a place they don't desire to be, where the cost outweighs the benefit. Having an actual verification process would help, too. Not just blue-checks-for-cash, but "We've got your drivers' license on file" verification.

moths fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 4, 2023