Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Good Listener posted:

My biggest weakness: Reading. :smith:
It's Okay, I Understand.

god gently caress the easter arcs.

please stop jacking Rudy off so much, he's not a legal adult yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I don't know what the hell is going on with Home Free. It's awful, but I can't look away.

Cowslips Warren posted:

do we have a countdown until Gunny and Bets break up? this would be his second or third relationship with a POC who just leaves, right?

It would be his second romantic relationship with a POC (or possibly with anyone) that I can think of. The first would be Rosa, who decided to stay in South America.

You might also be thinking of Delta, who was the third in the Luann/Bernice/Delta friend trio. She and Gunther weren't romantic. Greg wrote her out because he thought coming up with storylines for her (a cancer survivor and a politically passionate black woman in a largely white town) was "impossible." Then there was also that one woman whose name I'm forgetting. She was not POC, but she was openly lesbian (not that Greg had the balls to do anything with that other than kind of mention it once in a blue moon). She moved to New York.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (March 24-26, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (May 30-June 1, 1921)

Dok's Dippy Detachment (October 23, 1914)

Little Lefty (October 13-14, 1938, no strip on the 15th)

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

$20.00 was about $340.00 in 1921. I'm with the Skipper on this one. Those city smarties are little shits.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 4, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ZeeToo posted:

Nu-Nancy hits way more often than it misses, for me. It's me, this series is aimed at me in particular, and I greatly look forward to it.
:same:

Cowslips Warren posted:

ugh Home Free is just disgusting. the art, the plot, everything. I'd swear it was some fetish of the artist like Glorious Master.

Julet Esqu posted:

I don't know what the hell is going on with Home Free. It's awful, but I can't look away.
Although I don't particularly like Home Free, I really don't understand why so many people seem to hate it. It seems completely unremarkable to me. :shrug:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tiggum posted:

Although I don't particularly like Home Free, I really don't understand why so many people seem to hate it. It seems completely unremarkable to me. :shrug:

The art rubs me the wrong way on a good day. The concept is dumb as hell and a decent comic could stretch it out for a week or two max; Home Free promises to probe the depths of "What would happen if a family remodeled their whole house at once and lived in the back yard??" forever until the syndicate shitcans it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Safety Dance posted:

The concept is dumb as hell and a decent comic could stretch it out for a week or two max; Home Free promises to probe the depths of "What would happen if a family remodeled their whole house at once and lived in the back yard??" forever until the syndicate shitcans it.
Sure. But that doesn't explain why people hate it so much. :shrug:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

The art rubs me the wrong way on a good day. The concept is dumb as hell and a decent comic could stretch it out for a week or two max; Home Free promises to probe the depths of "What would happen if a family remodeled their whole house at once and lived in the back yard??" forever until the syndicate shitcans it.

Somehow the art hasn't crashed like nu-Trail's did in about as long as Home Free's run has been, and that's the most surprising thing about it to me. It's not good art, imo, but it's clearly had some time and thought put into it.

Too bad nothing else about it has.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, I don't know if the remodeling is ever supposed to be done, but the premise has been stretched incredibly thin. It feels like a prologue, the sister got a new friend and the brother can talk to animals and we should move on after that but instead the prologue just... keeps going.

I also generally like nu-Nancy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Nu-Nancy is fine imo. Not great, but doesn't do anything worth complaining about often.

This thread has loving Dustin in it, so our bar for comics is pretty low.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Bogor

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

This strip remains the best.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

cmon man

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 31, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

There's no special Finnish pun in this one that I could spot, the guy just gives a cookie notification. Unless there's some hidden meaning in the Finnish word for cookie that I'm not aware of.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

:chloe:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

:wtc:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

ZeeToo posted:

Nu-Nancy hits way more often than it misses, for me. It's me, this series is aimed at me in particular, and I greatly look forward to it.

It is, at the very least, fine. The idea that it is bad, with some people comparing it to Gilchrist's run, is divorced from reality.

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 31, 2001)

Ok, what's up with this strip here? Surely 2001 is way too early for the term 'trolling' as it is used now? If the joke is Arlo is wanting more than a kiss, shouldn't it be 'trawling'?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 4, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Samovar posted:

It is, at the very least, fine. The idea that it is bad, with some people comparing it to Gilchrist's run, is divorced from reality.

Ok, what's up with this strip here? Surely 2001 is way too early for the term 'trolling' as it is used now? If the joke is Arlo is wanting more than a kiss, shouldn't it be 'trawling'?

Google gives me this as the first result:

quote:

troll2
verb

carefully and systematically search an area for something.
"a group of companies trolling for partnership opportunities"
fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat.
gerund or present participle: trolling
"we trolled for mackerel"

Trawling seems like a regional equivalent of the second definition.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

New season of forged in fire looks good

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 26, 1958)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Samovar posted:

Definitely not too early. The first definition of "troll" on Urban Dictionary is from 2002, so it was certainly in reasonably common use online by then and the cartoonist does seem pretty online

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Definitely not too early. The first definition of "troll" on Urban Dictionary is from 2002, so it was certainly in reasonably common use online by then and the cartoonist does seem pretty online

Trollin' is a totally acceptable version of "trawlin" - particularly in the upper midwest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1m0NHFtia8

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hostile V posted:

It's Okay, I Understand.

god gently caress the easter arcs.

Christ, Rudy was disappointed he couldn't get the scholarship he wanted for like 1 second. Just let him have this. :sever:

The way Fiona uses her super hearing to constantly get a glimpse of Rudy's innermost thoughts and feelings, all without his consent, makes her an absolute nightmare to be in a relationship with.

I wonder if this was around the point where Lynn suspected her husband was having an affair and so had comic-dad start being a creep? That, or Lynn just wrote the dad thinking teenage girls are beautiful without putting any thought into how creepy that is.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

amigolupus posted:

I wonder if this was around the point where Lynn suspected her husband was having an affair and so had comic-dad start being a creep? That, or Lynn just wrote the dad thinking teenage girls are beautiful without putting any thought into how creepy that is.

I think it's just the dad making a bad joke to embarrass his kids.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In fishing, at least, trolling is moving slowly across a body of water dragging lines (ie, a trolling motor on your jon boat); trawling is commercial fishing boats dragging nets (literally trawls, pulled by trawlers).

Arlo is trolling, because he's moving slowly trying and to catch something.

e: In fact, the modern usage of trolling (at least according to the wiki) has its roots in the fishing term, and "someone who habitually trolls" being a troll and "troll" being a mythical creature/rear end in a top hat aren't linked. (At least not outside the term probably catching on in the first place because the coincidence is so good.)

quote:

The contemporary use of the term is said to have appeared on the Internet in the late 1980s, but the earliest known attestation according to the Oxford English Dictionary is in 1992.

The context of the quote cited in the Oxford English Dictionary sets the origin in Usenet in the early 1990s as in the phrase "trolling for newbies", as used in alt.folklore.urban (AFU). Commonly, what is meant is a relatively gentle inside joke by veteran users, presenting questions or topics that had been so overdone that only a new user would respond to them earnestly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(slang)

A+J

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 4, 2023

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ALSO

We're a few years off from this A+J week of strips, but it's relevant to our foob complaints.

https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2004/06/21?fbclid=IwAR3vsC6_B15HvbBJBp6-qUf86659dfQmLc2NAAHkDkUEu4ESHGkq95EimYI

Hitting on a better idea, which is "beautiful young women are supposed to make you feel old and it's a middle-aged man's moral responsibility to mind his business." Maybe you think this run is still kind of a gross way to handle it, but at least it's not the main character leering and commenting on their looks to them.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 4, 2023

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

His eyes were closed! He specifically didn't do that exact thing, Billingsley! This is literally the only way you could have done this wrong!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/3/03

Brenda Starr 4/19-21/51

Smokey Stover 8/14/55

Everyday Movies 7/29/36

"Can I have a clean shirt, Nora?" "And why be dressing up on a Wednesday?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/16-18/41

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I think it's just the dad making a bad joke to embarrass his kids.

"Joke's on you, I'm only pretending to be creeping on the underage girls!"

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

I don’t think these two are very good con men if they’re notorious.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 7/3/03

Is this product placement for Nabisco? I was always under the impression that figs were one of the big foods that dogs should never be given. Like raisins.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Well of course he does.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Selachian posted:

And the lesson for today is the only way to get the cops to move is to flat-out lie to them.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 23, 1935)

Peanuts (July 6, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 6, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

I watched the body swap episode of The Prisoner last night, and between that and this it's kind of startling how much modern storytelling owes to mad scientists who knew the route to Gilligan's Island.

Out Our Way, featuring a brilliant scheme with no blatantly obvious downsides that should reveal themselves almost immediately! (March 19-21, 1942)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
God drat holiday weekend messing up my ability to post comics on the internet! :argh:

Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (May 15-18, 1957 and Jun 15-20, 1958)

I love how the phrase "goat" has evolved to mean the exact opposite of what it used to.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 6-15, 1993)

Big Nate

Blind Alley
EDIT: Whoops! Thought these were out publicly already. Go to Adam's Patreon if you want to see them.

Dunce

Pshew! OK, finally caught up. Happy 4th y'all!

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I have to imagine something like that being extremely :nws: