Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm loving Dave but I desperately want to change the music that plays on the boat, I've heard it around a hundred times now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xaris posted:

the tranq underwater rifle or the tranq gun?

Underwater rifle, first one you get. the hush gun is pretty useless in my experience. Never found a reason to take it over a net gun.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

Underwater rifle, first one you get. the hush gun is pretty useless in my experience. Never found a reason to take it over a net gun.

so i just unlocked the Modified Hush Gun and it went from bad to great because double tap now takes out the chunky boys so i can drone em away, and instantly zaps anything else to sleep, with a solid 7 round clip. net is better for groups but since it can't do chunky fish, even like the lobotomized big head fish guys or tuna/marlins, it kinda sucks

unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to have persistent elemental hooks, so far :smith:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

evilmiera posted:

I'm loving Dave but I desperately want to change the music that plays on the boat, I've heard it around a hundred times now

I think my first time thinking a negative thought about a video game was probably that part in Full Throttle where you go into a trailer and there’s a song playing on the radio, and the song starts at exactly the same point every time you go through there.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

evilmiera posted:

I haven't messed around with it too much but it seems there isn't a way to have the music player keep playing whatever you select when it's open, it stops when you close the app. Would be nice if you could change the music.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I rushed through the end of Pillars of Eternity because it was getting to be a chore, but I picked up Pillars of Eternity 2 on the Steam sale and decided to fire it up after I was done, and this game feels way better than PoE1 in just about every way possible. I think it has also completely sold me on RtwP combat being way better than turn-based combat, and now I'm bummed that Baldur's Gate 3 switched to turn-based. Divinity Original Sin combat could turn into a complete slog, but I love the feeling of telling my guys what to do and then unpausing and watching everything play out. Especially now that the pathfinding actually works.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
DOS2 endgame was awesome, everyone had 2 to 3 straight up teleports, and it's a drat shame BG3 won't have that

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Eve didn't scratch the right itch. I reinstalled Albion Online to see if that was closer to the RuneScape grind my heart desires.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Xaris posted:

so i just unlocked the Modified Hush Gun and it went from bad to great because double tap now takes out the chunky boys so i can drone em away, and instantly zaps anything else to sleep, with a solid 7 round clip. net is better for groups but since it can't do chunky fish, even like the lobotomized big head fish guys or tuna/marlins, it kinda sucks

unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to have persistent elemental hooks, so far :smith:

When do you get the drone?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Goa Tse-tung posted:

DOS2 endgame was awesome, everyone had 2 to 3 straight up teleports, and it's a drat shame BG3 won't have that

D&D-based computer RPGs are always fated to be lamer than an original IP because the pen-and-paper games are ridiculously tame in what they'll allow players to accomplish. Baldur's Gate 2 managed to break out of this mold by starting you off at high levels, and the later Enhanced Editions started putting in content that was completely outside of what was in the books, but anything based on Fifth Edition was always going to be pedestrian.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

People always complain about turn based but both of the divinity games had almost no trash combat, everything was specifically built to whatever arena it was in and you only fought it once. Meanwhile pillars and pathfinder were both loaded with trash combat you alt clicked through

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if you set an auto-pause for "end of turn" (and nothing else), then congratulations, your real-time-with-pause game is now a turn-based game

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Grapplejack posted:

People always complain about turn based but both of the divinity games had almost no trash combat, everything was specifically built to whatever arena it was in and you only fought it once. Meanwhile pillars and pathfinder were both loaded with trash combat you alt clicked through

extreme powergaming for max XP and loot in divinity 2 was some of the funniest content i have ever seen

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I didn't mind trash fights in Wrath of the Righteous, just turn off turn-based and enjoy the fireworks

also those fight were always great for getting gimmicks to shine, because if you try to pull up with a Wide Swing to Playfull Darkness you'll get ganked

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Homeless Friend posted:

its very funny to be an old b*tch and still get 3:1 on pure urban maps. a lot of getting good at the game is making sure not to drop your guard until you know you're clear. dudes just get wiped every time they assume their squadmate has their back.

Pretty much everyone I know who does well at the game is close to or over 30. Your ability to play FPS games doesn't really decline with age.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Poe2 had the combat balanced around rtwp so it felt horrible playing as turn based.

Wrath of the Righteous was good that it let you choose when to use it.

BG3 is going to be great

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Last night my friend went 60 and 16 on Frugis. I'm pretty sure that I didn't even see 60 people that whole round. It's hosed up

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm just glad battlefield gamers finally have a game that isn't complete poo poo, they deserve a w after like ten years of dice

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I didn't mind trash fights in Wrath of the Righteous, just turn off turn-based and enjoy the fireworks

also those fight were always great for getting gimmicks to shine, because if you try to pull up with a Wide Swing to Playfull Darkness you'll get ganked

I liked Divinity a lot, but sometimes I just want to blow up a bunch of lovely goblins with fireballs in under 30 seconds.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnDe2u5M7e8

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

D&D-based computer RPGs are always fated to be lamer than an original IP because the pen-and-paper games are ridiculously tame in what they'll allow players to accomplish. Baldur's Gate 2 managed to break out of this mold by starting you off at high levels, and the later Enhanced Editions started putting in content that was completely outside of what was in the books, but anything based on Fifth Edition was always going to be pedestrian.

There are a lot of D&D games that think the rolling dice, and doing stats are the most fun parts of the game instead of the roleplaying aspect of the game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I liked Divinity a lot, but sometimes I just want to blow up a bunch of lovely goblins with fireballs in under 30 seconds.

"level scaling" (not saying that Divinity does this) is one of the less palatable changes in game design of recent years because it means you never get to the point where you're effortlessly mowing down enemies that used to give you trouble

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

BUSH 2112 posted:

even tho no one probably cares, i'm going to post about D4.

i actually love the game, i was surprised that it was as good as it was and that i actually cared about the story and the characters. not a lot, but a little bit. plus the fact that i knew immediately that Lorath was voiced by the guy who played Chris Finch in the UK version of The Office made me happy right off the bat, and the voice acting is (mostly) pretty fantastic. the end-game poo poo is pretty meh so far, but it's actually better than i was expecting.

the one thing that really irritated me was that they set up this idea that you'd have to choose between Lilith and Mephisto, or Lilith and the Knights Penitent, or maybe both - which would have made sense for setting up the PVP element of the game. instead, both Lilith and Mephisto make some really good points about how you're actually being kind of an idiot for opposing them, and then the writers force you to completely ignore that and do ... whatever. given the choice, i would gladly have sided with Lilith, she's generally a sympathetic character and again, she makes good points about why you're actually just loving Sanctuary over and perpetuating a forever-war by opposing her.

like, that would have just had so much potential to make the game more interesting, and it wouldn't exactly have taken genius writing to work out how to still make the in-game world make sense. instead we got what i was expecting to get in the first place, which is a completely unsatisfying ending that was basically just a setup for the inevitable DLC.

oh poo poo, that's actually the other thing i really didn't like now that i think about it: the boss fights are loving boring. really, really boring. and cheap, because the hit detection is garbage for AoE attacks, and everything is so dark that sometimes i just wouldn't have any idea that a ranged add was shooting the gently caress out of me until i'd already had to blow multiple potions wondering why the hell i was randomly taking damage. the Lilith fight, and really everything leading up to it is particularly bad in that respect. when you finally do fight her, and they draw that poo poo out for way too long. it made me laugh that you get back to the temple with Lorath and his response to some cannon-fodder knights trying to take you into custody is something like "Oh, will this never end?!" which was also my exact loving thought at that point lol

but i actually do think it's a fantastic game despite that poo poo. really everything else about it is pretty top notch imo. and, yes wendy's drive thru i know but i wanted to complain

I love D4 followed by 4 paragraphs about how bad it is and the endgame isn't functional but better than expected is about how I feel about D4 too.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gumball Gumption posted:

I love D4 followed by 4 paragraphs about how bad it is and the endgame isn't functional but better than expected is about how I feel about D4 too.

what is a game that you have enjoyed recently?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Grapplejack posted:

I'm just glad battlefield gamers finally have a game that isn't complete poo poo, they deserve a w after like ten years of dice

its just fun to play any multiplayer game that isn't pack full of games as a service poo poo

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

what is a game that you have enjoyed recently?

Actually enjoyed? Been playing through Tears which is good. I'm also playing through Tunic finally and I like it though I think I'm more interested in decoding the language than the game itself. I'm making my way through the Legend of Heroes games but I've hit Cold Steel and I'm not sure if I can handle how much more anime it is. But Trails in the Sky and Trails to Zero/Azure are some of my favorite JRPGs.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

BUSH 2112 posted:

even tho no one probably cares, i'm going to post about D4.

i actually love the game, i was surprised that it was as good as it was and that i actually cared about the story and the characters. not a lot, but a little bit. plus the fact that i knew immediately that Lorath was voiced by the guy who played Chris Finch in the UK version of The Office made me happy right off the bat, and the voice acting is (mostly) pretty fantastic. the end-game poo poo is pretty meh so far, but it's actually better than i was expecting.

the one thing that really irritated me was that they set up this idea that you'd have to choose between Lilith and Mephisto, or Lilith and the Knights Penitent, or maybe both - which would have made sense for setting up the PVP element of the game. instead, both Lilith and Mephisto make some really good points about how you're actually being kind of an idiot for opposing them, and then the writers force you to completely ignore that and do ... whatever. given the choice, i would gladly have sided with Lilith, she's generally a sympathetic character and again, she makes good points about why you're actually just loving Sanctuary over and perpetuating a forever-war by opposing her.

like, that would have just had so much potential to make the game more interesting, and it wouldn't exactly have taken genius writing to work out how to still make the in-game world make sense. instead we got what i was expecting to get in the first place, which is a completely unsatisfying ending that was basically just a setup for the inevitable DLC.

oh poo poo, that's actually the other thing i really didn't like now that i think about it: the boss fights are loving boring. really, really boring. and cheap, because the hit detection is garbage for AoE attacks, and everything is so dark that sometimes i just wouldn't have any idea that a ranged add was shooting the gently caress out of me until i'd already had to blow multiple potions wondering why the hell i was randomly taking damage. the Lilith fight, and really everything leading up to it is particularly bad in that respect. when you finally do fight her, and they draw that poo poo out for way too long. it made me laugh that you get back to the temple with Lorath and his response to some cannon-fodder knights trying to take you into custody is something like "Oh, will this never end?!" which was also my exact loving thought at that point lol

but i actually do think it's a fantastic game despite that poo poo. really everything else about it is pretty top notch imo. and, yes wendy's drive thru i know but i wanted to complain

christ

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Clive Saying “Thank you” Supercut (14h 26m)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

I haven't messed around with it too much but it seems there isn't a way to have the music player keep playing whatever you select when it's open, it stops when you close the app. Would be nice if you could change the music.

At least in the boat area. You go into it so often and its the same tinny thing and it kinda doesn't fit with what's been going on for the last few hours in the game at all and did I mention the hundred times thing?

There's so much good music in the game, just let me randomize it or something.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the new derail valley patch is so amazing holy poo poo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xaris posted:

I maxed my hush gun out, it's very good for what it's good for, but what it's good for (catching not huge fish alive) is done better with a net gun. Unless I'm missing something, but every time I tried it on a bigger fish it would either just shrug it off even after a mag dump or it would go to sleep but I would still have to either kill it or waste a drone to collect. Tranq rifle does way more work - anything that can't survive a shot can be caught with a net, anything that can you get 8 chances

edit - maybe there's a higher tier upgrade for it that I just haven't found yet, I just got to a point in the story where I think I may have opening up some more options

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Jul 4, 2023

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Frog Act posted:

project gorgon, the bizarre labor of love early access for ten years MMO developed by three people, is finally on a steep enough sale to merit purchasing so I grabbed it. looking forward to seeing what the world the eccentric weirdos involved have built
yeah :10bux: is too good to pass up after I spent a lot of time with the demo years ago

There's a really whiny negative Steam review from someone that dumped a ton of money into the game and is big mad the devs didn't suck his dick enough so he quit. Had to buy it after reading that.

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010
Case of the Golden Idol is insanely good, right up there with Obra Dinn.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There are a lot of D&D games that think the rolling dice, and doing stats are the most fun parts of the game instead of the roleplaying aspect of the game.

And that's fine, since most d&d games aren't made to be like Disco Elysium.

Focusing on narrative and roleplaying part of the game is kind of a recent thing in the genre.

Baldur's Gate has all of 3 character choices you can make, good, bad, and maybe neutral.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

Case of the Golden Idol is insanely good, right up there with Obra Dinn.

I loved Golden Idol, but dang were a few of the later puzzles too hard. Or maybe not too hard, but too tiring in the amount of logicing out the needed solutions. I liked it's sort of Mad Libs Mystery thing it had going too, but some of the later ones that were just "Blank Blank Blanked with Blank Blank, Blank and Blank Blanked Blank or Blank" were a bit tiresome.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

"level scaling" (not saying that Divinity does this) is one of the less palatable changes in game design of recent years because it means you never get to the point where you're effortlessly mowing down enemies that used to give you trouble

Skill issue.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lostconfused posted:

And that's fine, since most d&d games aren't made to be like Disco Elysium.

Focusing on narrative and roleplaying part of the game is kind of a recent thing in the genre.

Baldur's Gate has all of 3 character choices you can make, good, bad, and maybe neutral.

planescape torment came out in 1999 and arcanum came out in 2001, doesnt seem like focusing on role playing is a "recent thing"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

planescape torment came out in 1999 and arcanum came out in 2001, doesnt seem like focusing on role playing is a "recent thing"

Planescape is a novel, there's not that much roleplaying.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

?