Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DRINK ME posted:

Same image meme?

Twitter iOS app

Threads iOS app

this reminds me of a feature on the duckduckgo browser app, the tracker blocker.

like goddamn does every app try to data mine a bunch of every drat metric it can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

PhazonLink posted:

this reminds me of a feature on the duckduckgo browser app, the tracker blocker.

like goddamn does every app try to data mine a bunch of every drat metric it can.

Data mining is literally the only way the Internet actually makes money

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You are product. Accept it or live wild and free.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
havent done the math on it in several years, but last time I did, facebook was making ~$300 per NA user

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

~100% of them do and in increasingly sophisticated ways. apps have way more freedom to do so effectively than the web, where it is relatively more restrictive but can still totally be done (and is)

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Twitter could survive if Mosk shut the gently caress up and let people who have a clue take a crack at the controls instead of just letting him randomly push buttons and turn knobs.

They have enough of a user base that inertia alone could get them through this if those users were even a little convinced that there is an adult in the room turning this poo poo around, but alas, "shut the gently caress up" is not a feature found on this model of Musk.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Twitter could survive if Mosk shut the gently caress up and let people who have a clue take a crack at the controls instead of just letting him randomly push buttons and turn knobs.

They have enough of a user base that inertia alone could get them through this if those users were even a little convinced that there is an adult in the room turning this poo poo around, but alas, "shut the gently caress up" is not a feature found on this model of Musk.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
So true it had to be said twice.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it could maybe be saved if he reverted every single change made since taking over. even then they weren't a super profitable company (in the eyes of capitalism of course its not enough to be profitable, you must be growing profits... forever) though and struggled to get to where they were through ad revenue. of course that is never coming back now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

PhazonLink posted:

I think these privacy labels come from a good place but are misleading. If I install an adblocker it’ll give me a big warning message about how the adblocker needs access to my browsing data and what have you. At first glance it sounds horrible but if you think about it the adblocker needs to have access to the websites your visiting and the html content the website is showing you in order to do its job.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They would need free rein to ban people, and he could never allow that.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Why would the fash narcissist dumbfuck buy Twitter to keep it as it is?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

https://labs.rs/en/facebook-algorithmic-factory-immaterial-labour-and-data-harvesting/

Parts of this may be a little outdated (2016) but it presents visualisations of how Facebook gathers data.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think these privacy labels come from a good place but are misleading. If I install an adblocker it’ll give me a big warning message about how the adblocker needs access to my browsing data and what have you. At first glance it sounds horrible but if you think about it the adblocker needs to have access to the websites your visiting and the html content the website is showing you in order to do its job.

I knew a guy who wrote a big gotcha rant on Facebook about pokemon go spying on people because he "dug deep into its permissions" (aka checked the install pop up) and saw it requested location data.

You know, that app whose entire gimmick was controlling landmarks in your city using pokemon you caught walking around? Apparantly it was a surprise that it'd use your location to do any of that.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.independent.ie/business...1927220337.html

https://www.independent.ie/business...1927220337.html posted:

Meta will not launch its new Twitter rival, Threads, in Ireland or the EU for the foreseeable future.

It is being released in the US and the UK on Thursday of this week as an alternative to Twitter.

A spokesperson for Ireland's Data Protection Commission (DPC) said that the regulator had been in contact about the new service and that it would not be rolled out in the EU "at this point".

So much for Threads immediately taking over from Twitter.

ninja4x8
Feb 26, 2016

Underwhelmed posted:

I mean, is this actually true? Twitter needs to make a LOT more revenue to service its new debt. I think, even ignoring the ego-driven/ideological aspect of it all, most of his actions from firing everyone to Twitter Blue are primarily driven by trying desperately to squeeze blood from the stone that is Twitter.

Not recognizing that the old management had, as good capitalists, already been doing that.

I think he was just kinda hosed from the moment he bought the website, the only question is how long it takes for the music to stop and whether he can duck the blame.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
This should accelerate the development of my anger amplifier app

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

SimonChris posted:

https://www.independent.ie/business...1927220337.html

So much for Threads immediately taking over from Twitter.

Oof, it must be really nosy - the EU is thankfully pretty cautious about data protection, but FB, Insta, TikTok, Twitter are all accessible here. Threads presumably wants access to even more.

also "Ireland or the EU" is poor writing. Ireland is the EU, as much as any other member country is. It's the Indo, so I don't expect much but they could at least have written "Ireland, or the rest of the EU"

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

ninja4x8 posted:

I think he was just kinda hosed from the moment he bought the website

Even an idiot like Musk realised he was hosed when he bought it. He was desperate to back out for a reason.

Presumably Twitter has a finance team making budgets and forecasts (unless this was one of the teams fired). There is no way there is a credible operating/financial plan that gives them a path to profitability and paying the debt that isn’t reliant on believing multiple miracles.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol that the EU is going to say no to Threads on privacy buy sit on it's hands about Twitter's hate speech

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

kazil posted:

lol that the EU is going to say no to Threads on privacy buy sit on it's hands about Twitter's hate speech

It's magnitudes easier to prevent a new thing from launching than it is to ban something your citizens are already using.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

kazil posted:

Really annoys the gently caress out of me.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

It's magnitudes easier to prevent a new thing from launching than it is to ban something your citizens are already using.
lyft and uber's entire business plan

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah all these tech company products are basically just workarounds for existing regulations that werent strict enough in the first place. threads will be no different. theyll 100% find a way to launch it there before too long

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I didn’t realize Facebook owned threads but of course it does.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Time to go back to calling them "topics" here

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Matt Levine continues his run of being the writer who best keeps on top of Musk’s bullshittery:

quote:

Well, look, if I were the newly hired chief executive officer of a social media company, and if the directors and shareholders who brought me in as CEO had told me that my main mission was to turn around the company’s precarious financial situation by improving our position with advertisers, and if I spent my first few weeks reassuring advertisers and rebuilding relationships and talking up our site’s unique audience and powerful engagement, and then one day my head of software engineering came to me and said “hey boss, too many people were too engaged with too many posts, so I had to limit everyone’s ability to view posts on our site, just FYI,” I would … probably … fire ... him?

I mean I suppose I might ask questions like “Is this because of some technological limitation on our system? Is it because you were monkeying with the code without understanding it? Is it because you tried to stop people from reading the site without logging in, 3 and messed up and stopped them from reading the site even when they logged in? Is it because you fired and demoralized too many engineers so no one was left to keep the systems running normally? Is it because you forgot to pay the cloud bills? Is it because deep down you don’t like it when people read posts on our site and you want to stop them, or you don’t like relying on ad revenue and want to sabotage my ability to sell ads?” Those are all interesting questions, and I suppose having the answers would help my new head of software engineering fix whatever this guy broke. But no matter what the answers are, this guy’s gotta go. If you are in charge of the software engineers at a social media site, and you make it so that people can’t read the site, that’s bad.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2023-07-03/insider-trading-is-better-from-home

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Dabir posted:

Time to go back to calling them "topics" here

can't wait to read the PYF Threads thread

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
https://twitter.com/TwitterBusiness...%5Es1_&ref_url=

Everything's going great.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
he's gone back to the bots and spammers well so many times

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol writing that like it was some undercover sting operation or something instead of poo poo breaking and them scrambling to come up with excuses

"we let it break on purpose!"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao it's been broken for almost everyone for 4 days

This fuckin idiot

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

things are going great at twitter.com

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

kazil posted:

things are going great at twitter.com

Ahhh, so she's a dead eyed true believer as well

Good, good

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Please, please let Community Notes flag that explanation as bullshit.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hang on just a minute, didn't old Twitter have dedicated teams and tools to deal with bad-faith actors and bots, and then some, as-yet unidentified person fired the teams and broke the tools?

Linda, you gotta find that guy!

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

Good, good

She's probably doing it for the money. Too bad Elon's not known for paying anyone.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Either a true believer or, more likely, a run-of-the-mill craven corporate CEO.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

priznat posted:

Matt Levine continues his run of being the writer who best keeps on top of Musk’s bullshittery:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2023-07-03/insider-trading-is-better-from-home

Can’t fire the Chief Technology Officer when he owns the company and is almost singularly your Board of Directors. :lol:

The only thing in this for Linda is she gets CEO on her CV, which wouldn’t have happened otherwise. Maybe that gets her another CEO gig later, maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Really want him to break embeds so we can be done with it.

Post screenshots of tweets in threads, done.