Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Vintersorg posted:

I was playing some of the FF16 demo and my wife comes by, "do you even get to do anything? or just watch stuff?" :(

Tell her the game opens up after the first 15 hours or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

She left before I fought some goblins. I liked the cute touch of the save screen having FF6 style pixels for whoever is in your party at that time!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
https://twitter.com/YongYea/status/1676085787203620868

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

man nurse posted:

FF 16 is the best mainline Final Fantasy title since ____

Fill in the blank. For the sake of argument, please omit the MMO titles (11, 14) or the 7 Remake. Talking in terms of pure uncut brand new single player numbered titled.

I choose X.

VII

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
I've been so deeply disappointed with everything since X

This one has a world map so it's the best since IX

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It’s not better than 7 remake, but I guess we can’t choose that for a reasons I don’t understand. It isn’t better than 15 because that was awful, I never played 13, and 12 was barely a game… though I liked its art style so much I’m tempted to choose it. I’m fully confident in saying 10 was better though.

So yeah, best since 10. Some dire decades since then.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's the most Final Fantasy since Crisis Core and Lightning Returns

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Haven’t finished, not even close. But I’d say X as well. That has more to do with my falling mostly off the series around XII, and not even because I had any strong opinions about XII. In fact I recall liking XII’s style. But gambits weren’t really my thing. Since XVI came out though, I kinda want to revisit some of the older ones and I’d stick XII in there. No real interest in XIII, and I know people are hard on XV but flaws aside its whole thing kind of appeals to me so I’ve been meaning to check it out for a good while.

Is XV’s story really as dire as people say? Even after they did all that post release work on it? like if it stays coherent through most of the game and takes a poo poo turn toward the end I think I could deal with that. If it’s a mess the whole way through it might bother me more.

Also, blasphemous I know but as a kid, I got all the way to Sephiroth during my VII playthrough, couldn’t beat him, got the guide, went out, did everything to get Knights of the Round, imagining it was the I Win button that kids represented it as, and promptly discovered that there was a lot more wrong with my setup than just that. As an adult, I’m sure I’d just steamroll the whole game, but I’ve always been a little annoyed that kid me didn’t technically beat the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it spends 3/4's of its duration extremely languid and low-stakes, takes a poo poo turn towards the end, has a very good ending, and then nearly turned to poo poo again with a canceled run of DLC that would have ruined everything decent about the story, though one of them still squirted out and is bad enough on its own

for all its many flaws there's really nothing else like it. unique in its dysfunction

also kid me made it all the way to FF7's northern crater using only Bolt3+All before my luck finally ran out. never saw jenova-SYNTHESIS, though i did get to use one of my cousin's saves where he beat both WEAPONs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

unattended spaghetti posted:

Is XV’s story really as dire as people say? Even after they did all that post release work on it? like if it stays coherent through most of the game and takes a poo poo turn toward the end I think I could deal with that. If it’s a mess the whole way through it might bother me more.

It's pretty dire. The "post release work" consisted of integrating footage from the Kingsglaive movie into the game cutscenes, but not particularly well or with any additional glue added, so it's just a bunch of montage infodumps, some of which don't even have dialog. I played it for the first time in "complete" form and it still didn't make very much sense

I didn't play the DLC episode, which may have improved it, but at the end of the campaign I really didn't feel the motivation to push further

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Pricing isn’t always indicative of popularity, and popularity isn’t always a good measure of quality, but I was surprised when I saw that XV is cheaper than the XII remaster

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
I really liked the art and style of XII. I liked the gambits and enjoyed automating everyone around my main character. But my god the lack of any sense of plot kills it for me every time. I have gotten 20+ hours into XII at least 3 times and then just get so bored by not caring about any of the characters and give up.

It's the best one since IX. Really hope that remaster rumor is real.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The story in 15 is extremely fragmented and sparse. Most anything discernible about it is presented through codecs and readables and stuff. It’s wholly unsatisfying as a single player narrative. The ending IS well done despite all this.

The thing you come to 15 for is the vibes. At least the first half of the game before it railroads. But bebopping around the big world on chocobo or car, camping out, discovering new meals to make, selecting daily photos to keep, going on hunts and sidequests, it’s all very cool. The dungeons also have kind of a unique presentation, they’re very dark and gloomy and even have some light jump scares thrown in. Very atmospheric.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

it spends 3/4's of its duration extremely languid and low-stakes, takes a poo poo turn towards the end, has a very good ending, and then nearly turned to poo poo again with a canceled run of DLC that would have ruined everything decent about the story, though one of them still squirted out and is bad enough on its own

for all its many flaws there's really nothing else like it. unique in its dysfunction

also kid me made it all the way to FF7's northern crater using only Bolt3+All before my luck finally ran out. never saw jenova-SYNTHESIS, though i did get to use one of my cousin's saves where he beat both WEAPONs

Lol that’s hilarious. Come to think of it, since we’re talking dumb kids/difficulty spikes, did anyone else get hard stopped at the boss on the mountain after you leave Nibelheim? Before my mom got annoyed and just bought me the drat game, I’d rented it a good three or four times, got to that boss, got killed a bunch, and kid me mentally gave up on the game. Glad she bought it that Christmas though, cause obviously it’s awesome. But I wonder if I’m the only one who struggled with that boss.

Thanks for the XV info. Can’t argue with free since I’m a sucker that subscribed to Plus premium or wtf ever it’s called. Royal edition include everything? I don’t mind low stakes, personally, and if expectations are managed, I find you can enjoy a lot more games.

man nurse posted:

The story in 15 is extremely fragmented and sparse. Most anything discernible about it is presented through codecs and readables and stuff. It’s wholly unsatisfying as a single player narrative. The ending IS well done despite all this.

The thing you come to 15 for is the vibes. At least the first half of the game before it railroads. But bebopping around the big world on chocobo or car, camping out, discovering new meals to make, selecting daily photos to keep, going on hunts and sidequests, it’s all very cool. The dungeons also have kind of a unique presentation, they’re very dark and gloomy and even have some light jump scares thrown in. Very atmospheric.

Yeah cool this is the kind of thing that would sell me. Esp dungeons and leaning into the journey/adventure feel.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I didn't end up caring for FFXVI a whole lot, so I wouldn't rank it higher than FF7R. And it definitely wasn't better than Lighting Returns (all-time #3 best FF).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

I didn't end up caring for FFXVI a whole lot, so I wouldn't rank it higher than FF7R. And it definitely wasn't better than Lighting Returns (all-time #3 best FF).

Cause of the combat system? The time shenanigans? I dug what little I played of it before it was yanked from Game Pass a few days later.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Always feel like I played a completely different LR than other people. Doesn't help that the intro mission is probably one of the least fun things ever invented.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Of the 8 FFs I played and completed this year VI is the best.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I thought the combat system in LR was great, liked the central concept, liked the outfits, liked the humor, really liked Lightning as a character despite not having particularly strong feelings for her in XIII. You can beat the whole thing in under 30 hours and it didn't waste my not-especially valuable time!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Haven't finished FF16 yet but I feel like FF7R's combat was a more successful blending of character action with traditional FF mechanics. My biggest gripe with 16 is likely to be that combat is too easy to fully exercise its depth, but I get how that's necessary to accommodate people who are there for the FF and not the action. I would've taken a hard mode, but that's budget not spent on Eikon battles. FF7R did a better job of pleasing both camps I think

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

FFXVI is too long to justify gating anything behind NG+ tbh

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

man nurse posted:

I’m one of the biggest 15 enjoyers on the planet and I feel like an alien as a result, where are all these 15 enjoyers coming out of lol

Every entry is the worst in the series until the next one comes out and it gets re-evaluated.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'll give FFXV this: It has some of the most lovingly rendered displays of food ever shown in a video game. 3-polygon FFXVI soup bowls could never.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I'll give FFXV this: It has some of the most lovingly rendered displays of food ever shown in a video game. 3-polygon FFXVI soup bowls could never.

It has the best grapes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

exquisite tea posted:

I made a Croque Madame in real life because of Final Fantasy 15 and it is the bomb.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm at like 70hrs in ff16 so far and only 77% complete apparently and I swear I only fell asleep with the game paused a few times :goleft:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i finished it with all hunts and sidequests and my ps5's timer said i played it for 30 hours. i suspect something is askew here

e: i didn't rush through it either, i got caught up in every town after major plot beats

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 4, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mine was like 65 hours with everything done which seemed about right

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Mine was at 59 hours with everything done except the chronoliths. Did two of those.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

Haven't finished FF16 yet but I feel like FF7R's combat was a more successful blending of character action with traditional FF mechanics. My biggest gripe with 16 is likely to be that combat is too easy to fully exercise its depth, but I get how that's necessary to accommodate people who are there for the FF and not the action. I would've taken a hard mode, but that's budget not spent on Eikon battles. FF7R did a better job of pleasing both camps I think

I'd love a glass cannon mode that makes bosses less spongy but you can only take a few hits. That might not work for various reasons though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I’d agree that 7R is the best version of “actionized Final Fantasy” so far. It does a great job of taking all the systems I’d expect to see in a classic Final Fantasy combat system and putting them into an action framework. I’ve enjoyed 16 a lot and the combat feels fantastic but 7R is even better as an overall package IMO.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Speaking of kid RPG experiences, I couldn't get out of the sand cave in Xenogears where you meet Bart. Just spent hours walking around that loving place unable to find the exit, random battles grinding me down in a war of attrition. Years later I came back and found the exit in a matter of minutes. What the gently caress.

7R combat > XVI combat personally. I like both a lot but being able to mix real time and turns together makes it a lot easier to intentionally pull off combos without feeling like I need to be a pro gamer or practicing endlessly. It's also fun to have an actual party in an FF game. That said, it's really close and I'm having a blast with FF16 combat.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 4, 2023

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
In Diablo 4 do you get all the stat boosts for a weapon that’s equipped even if you don’t use it?!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

bows1 posted:

In Diablo 4 do you get all the stat boosts for a weapon that’s equipped even if you don’t use it?!

Yes. This is especially notable for rogues who may only spec into melee or ranged, utilizing the other weapon as a stat stick. Also notable for barb who has the most gear slots of any class due to the weapon swapping mechanics. This also opens up additional affix possibilities, as you’d expect.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
Someone explain to me why I play the PS5 the least out of it, my Xbox Series S, and my Switch, yet I just had to go buy my third controller since launch. These things keep going down. Meanwhile, I've only been through one Xbox controller, and my launch Pro controller is still pretty much perfect (Joy Cons, on the other hand... woof)

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY JOURNEYMAN SIGSMITH Dick Fontaine

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Yes. This is especially notable for rogues who may only spec into melee or ranged, utilizing the other weapon as a stat stick. Also notable for barb who has the most gear slots of any class due to the weapon swapping mechanics. This also opens up additional affix possibilities, as you’d expect.

I swear I have no idea what I’m doing in this game. It’s still fun though

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Someone explain to me why I play the PS5 the least out of it, my Xbox Series S, and my Switch, yet I just had to go buy my third controller since launch. These things keep going down. Meanwhile, I've only been through one Xbox controller, and my launch Pro controller is still pretty much perfect (Joy Cons, on the other hand... woof)

If you didn’t get an Xbox you wouldn’t notice. Best of both worlds

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

bows1 posted:

I swear I have no idea what I’m doing in this game. It’s still fun though

If you’re still leveling (i.e. lower than 50 where endgame actually starts) don’t worry about it. A good tip for setting up a build is that there are very limited sources of multiplicative damage in the game. Right now your best ways to do big rear end numbers are inflicting vulnerable or stacking crit. Just pick skills that inflict vulnerable and make sure to use them to set up big damage off another hard hitting ability. While leveling up, just do what seems cool and if you run into trouble, you can pretty easily respec.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

If you’re still leveling (i.e. lower than 50 where endgame actually starts) don’t worry about it. A good tip for setting up a build is that there are very limited sources of multiplicative damage in the game. Right now your best ways to do big rear end numbers are inflicting vulnerable or stacking crit. Just pick skills that inflict vulnerable and make sure to use them to set up big damage off another hard hitting ability. While leveling up, just do what seems cool and if you run into trouble, you can pretty easily respec.

Yeah I’m lvl 46 barb. Just finished act 3. Been doing way too many side quests I fear. Kinda confused on how legendaries work cause now inhave yellow gear way stronger. I guess I destroy them for their aspects ? Can I only put aspects on legendary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

bows1 posted:

Yeah I’m lvl 46 barb. Just finished act 3. Been doing way too many side quests I fear. Kinda confused on how legendaries work cause now inhave yellow gear way stronger. I guess I destroy them for their aspects ? Can I only put aspects on legendary?

There’s two kinds of aspects: found and codex

You get codex aspects by completing dungeons. You get found aspects by just finding them. Codex aspects can exist in the wild with better rolls, because the codex ones roll lowest possible numbers.

Aspects can be imprinted onto rare and up. If you put an aspect on a rare, it adds the power and turns the item into a legendary. If you put it on a legendary it replaces the previous one.

You can also obtain aspects by stripping them off of legendaries and then imprinting them onto another item of your choice. Note that if you do this, you cannot remove that aspect other than imprinting another aspect over top of it. So, some aspects you might want to strip and hang onto until you find a really good piece to put it on.

In terms of what you should do first, clear dungeons, get aspects, try to create a synergy.

Also, it sucks but if you’ve not finished the campaign I recommend going ahead and doing that because it stops scaling to your level after fifty.