Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I don't think it was in EA but now I'm not even sure. This is what I get for pruning my wishlist

Edit: Found it, it was https://store.steampowered.com/app/1304400/The_End_of_Dyeus/

sad question fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwSklxLiCw

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

The game underwent a lot of development hell - the original KSP1 studio basically disbanded beforehand, and the first dev team (Star Theory Games, previously Uber Entertainment of Monday Night Combat fame) closed its doors during COVID after the second dev team (an internal 2K studio formed just for this game) poached most of their staff. As a result, the Early Access release was in a pretty rough state. Not sure whether it's improved since or not.

They've been improving it gradually but it was clearly not ready for early access, let alone at the price they're asking for. At this point most of us are just waiting to see how the first big update goes.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Why do I keep holding out any kind of hope that Rare will stop directly encouraging the loving psychopaths that comprise 99% of the Sea of Thieves playerbase

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Pleads posted:

You jerks made me try and love Dave the Diver.

Now I have less time to sling around in Webbed and start a maple syrup empire in Mon Bazou, both games everyone should buy.

The nerve of this thread.

Mon Bazou slaps. Real gem.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

ninjoatse.cx posted:

What's the thread's thoughts on Cruelty Squad? Must own, one off gimmick, or unplayable garbage?

Everything everyone else has said is already 100% correct.

I'll just add that whatever your expectations are about it being a functional game, it clears them easily. Aside from everything else about it, there is a legit game in there. It's mechanically sound in most of the ways you want any FPS or immersive sim to be. That might not mean much but it's something about the game that did genuinely surprise me.

Also the audio in this game is top tier. The car engine noise had me in hysterics, it might be the worst noise ever committed to a recording.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sad question posted:

I forgot a title of game I wanted to check the sale on, could someone help? It's indie rpg (I think first person) with N64 era style graphics. Might be open worldy. Couldn't find it through steam tags.

Gedonia?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1114220/Gedonia/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Even if that's not what sad question thought they were looking for, it actually is what they want :nod:

sad question
May 30, 2020

I am aware of Gedonia already, I might bite at this price point. I was actually thinking of End of Dyeus, a title I am incapable of remembering for longer than two minutes

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the Branch system in Dave the Diver that unlocks after the last VIP.
I'm also not sure I see the point, as I'm done with the story, and there doesn't seem to be that much more to spend money on post-game.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Why do I keep holding out any kind of hope that Rare will stop directly encouraging the loving psychopaths that comprise 99% of the Sea of Thieves playerbase

Elaborate?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sad question posted:

I forgot a title of game I wanted to check the sale on, could someone help? It's indie rpg (I think first person) with N64 era style graphics. Might be open worldy. Couldn't find it through steam tags.
Dread Delusion? that's the elder scrolls like with the PS1 visuals

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sad question posted:

Dark Souls

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Humble Choice for this month is up:

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition
Temtem
Yakuza 4 Remastered
Roadwarden
Kraken Academy!!
Merchant Of The Skies
Ozymandias: Bronze Age Empire Sim
Shotgun King: The Final Checkmate

I can personally vouch for Shotgun King, which is a great puzzle game, and Yakuza is Yakuza.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
got into civvie11's videos recently which made me give blood: fresh supply a try

good stuff. outstanding shotgun. the only build game i played as a kid was shadow warrior and more often than not it was with god mode activated

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Kins posted:

The Humble Choice for this month is up:

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition
Temtem
Yakuza 4 Remastered
Roadwarden
Kraken Academy!!
Merchant Of The Skies
Ozymandias: Bronze Age Empire Sim
Shotgun King: The Final Checkmate

I can personally vouch for Shotgun King, which is a great puzzle game, and Yakuza is Yakuza.

Temtem is a good monster-catching game and has come a very long way since EA launch, though I'll say the game definitely wants you to really sink your teeth into it rather than just clicking your strongest move for 20 hours. This is either a big plus or an annoyance depending on what you want from your RPGs. Just a warning to be prepared for the first turn when four separate abilities activate off of a single attack.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Roadwarden is a very cool RPG that reminds me a lot n various ways of my favorite tabletop RPG, Ironsworn. You’re basically a mercenary that’s been hired as a patrol of sorts maintaining safety along a set of roads, disposing of any corpses you see (because humans whose bodies aren’t properly disposed of return as undead of slowly growing intelligence) and potentially helping locals with their issues. However you’ve also got a secret mission that sometimes might go against your public duties as a warden. It’s an interesting, gritty semi-low fantasy world.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

got into civvie11's videos recently which made me give blood: fresh supply a try

good stuff. outstanding shotgun. the only build game i played as a kid was shadow warrior and more often than not it was with god mode activated
Blood Fresh Supply was released in a rough state, but they patched it into a decent state. I believe they weren't able to update it anymore because the publishing agreement required Night Dive to hand the car keys over to Atari at some point. There might be updates in the future now that Atari outright owns Night Dive? I hope so, even if the Night Dive crew are a bit busy with other stuff like the ROTT remaster.

For most other BUILD games, check out Raze, it's a source port by the GZDoom people and it's pretty good. There's a free DOS version of Shadow Warrior on Steam that works great with it. The writing and acting in it has aged like milk, but that free version has a bunch of prototypes from the development hell the game went through so if nothing else it's fascinating to take a stroll through to see the game transform from a Japan-themed Wolf3D clone in 1994 to its final end result in 1997. There's also an entirely different free version on GOG that doesn't have the prototypes, but has all the expansions. Get both, you might as well.

The Duke3D remaster on Steam is pretty meh, the included source port has Crysis 1-tier system requirements for some loving reason? The new episode is pretty neat, though, and Raze runs that fine so if you care about that stuff, that's probably the way to go.

Powerslave PC is supported by Raze, and is an entirely different game from Powerslave Exhumed (Night Dive's remaster of the Metroidvania-y console version). Civvie has a good video covering both versions. I really enjoyed Exhumed!

Redneck Rampage is a weird mess and fully supported by Raze. I don't think the Steam version has the licensed soundtrack, which is the best bit, and you have to buy the games seperately, so get it on GOG which bundles everything together and has all the music so you can blast aliens and hicks to Mojo Nixon like God intended.

Don't play Witchaven or Witchaven 2. Civvie has a video on the first one. There's a Java-based source port from Russia called BuildGDX that covers those games (and WILLIAM SHATNER'S TEKWAR), but really, save yourself the money and trouble.

I think I might be rambling at this point. BUILD is a weird mess that causes sane modern programmers to shriek in pain and all the games on it are apocalyptically janky messes, but gently caress they're fun when they're not folding in on themselves or crushing you into a pulp because you ran into a corner in a slightly wrong way.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

ninjoatse.cx posted:

What's the thread's thoughts on Cruelty Squad? Must own, one off gimmick, or unplayable garbage?

It's the true im-sim and the sim hates you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Really pleased with Humble this month. I've been wanted to try Temtem. Solid all round.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Same. Outer Worlds and Yakuza 4 are what Im forward to.

Got Yakuza 3 already, and Kiwami 1 and 2 from a previous Humbe Bundle, but never played them.
Is there any preferred order?

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 4, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Outer Wilds

lol

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Got Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King in the sale and it is excellent. Charming visuals, good puzzles, fluid combat and great music. If you enjoy Zelda-likes it's a great deal.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/446810/Blossom_Tales_The_Sleeping_King/

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Looking forward to Sunfield too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

tripwood posted:

Got Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King in the sale and it is excellent. Charming visuals, good puzzles, fluid combat and great music. If you enjoy Zelda-likes it's a great deal.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/446810/Blossom_Tales_The_Sleeping_King/

Blossom Tales 2 is basically the same game so if you want more it's a good choice.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Looking forward to Sunfield too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC3uKZ-mJ0M

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Same. Outer Worlds and Yakuza 4 are what Im forward to.

Got Yakuza 3 already, and Kiwami 1 and 2 from a previous Humbe Bundle, but never played them.
Is there any preferred order?
Storyline wise? Zero, Kiwami 1 and 2, then 3 onwards. Keep in mind that 3-5 are pretty straight ports of PS3 games, so they'll feel a bit rougher than the games "before" and after.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Somebody mentioned a game a while back that was described as "starbound but actually good". Anybody know which one that was? I can't remember and what to send it to a friend.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

KazigluBey posted:

Elaborate?

I'm one of the crowd who likes the PvE in SoT. I'm not exactly keen on the PvP even in cases when I'm on even footing, but the real jizz in my eye is that I'm never on even footing; the game's open design actively incentivizes getting the drop on people when they're busy halfway across an island, or finding a smaller boat than your own to punch downwards at, so naturally, that's what happens, to the point where nine times out of ten nobody even bothers looting the poo poo they just sunk, and the game's former dedicated PvP mode, the Arena, was shut down last year. Hardly anybody was using it because they're not interested in consensual skill-testing PvP, they just want to grief.

So naturally the recurring question of private servers/instances keeps coming up in the discussion forums, but Rare have put their foot down: this will not ever happen, because PvP is a part of the core experience, so stop asking. Threads on the subject will be locked the moment a mod notices, and you will be pointed to a now 3 year old newspost about the extremely limited, alpha-state rollout of... private instances, which so far as I can tell are still invite-only, reserved exclusively for a few big-name streamers, and have the additional kink of disabling progression systems altogether. So... there are private instances, despite their insistence to the contrary, but no, you still can't have them. And invariably the topic keeps coming up, over and over again, because it's a real issue that they simply refuse to address, and threads keep getting locked, sometimes with warnings issued.

And then they go and make a news post patting themselves on the back for how many thousands of accounts have been suspended, probated, or outright banned over the last year in the name of "maintaining a safe, inclusive, and fair environment for our players". :shrek:

So, the rules as enforced by both Rare and the community managers are:
  • Grief as much as you want! The game is PvPvE, not PvE! (though really it's not PvPvE either, since the PvE'ers don't want to PvP and the PvP'ers don't want to loot)
  • Just don't cheat or be racist while you do it.
  • This is our vision for the game, so stop asking us about it. Or else.
  • But see our newspost from 3 years ago about the possibility of private instances for people who aren't you.
But clearly the solution is just to "git gud", as parroted by every navel-gazing gatekeeper who doesn't actually want you to do so because they can't stand dealing with one another, they just want the easy targets to stick around. I've never seen another game that's such a disparate pairing of chill, fun grind and corrosive, disastrous community and managers.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SavageMessiah posted:

Somebody mentioned a game a while back that was described as "starbound but actually good". Anybody know which one that was? I can't remember and what to send it to a friend.

Probably Terraria?
Though given the timelines involved it's more like starbound is "terrarria but bad (and in space)"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

Terraria, perhaps? It doesn't have the whole space angle, but the general aesthetic and gameplay is similar enough to the point where I keep mixing them up. :v:

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

SavageMessiah posted:

Probably Outworlder/Farworld Pioneers https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363900/Farworld_Pioneers/

Meant to be "Starbound but better" made by some of the people that previously worked on Starbound (NOT Ty)

Fair warning though, even though it's no longer officially in early access, it seems to be pretty buggy and incomplete still.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

yikes

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Sailor Dave posted:

Probably Outworlder/Farworld Pioneers https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363900/Farworld_Pioneers/

Meant to be "Starbound but better" made by some of the people that previously worked on Starbound (NOT Ty)

Fair warning though, even though it's no longer officially in early access, it seems to be pretty buggy and incomplete still.

So we went from Starbound, which was supposed to be Terraria but better, except it ended up as Terraria but worse...

And now we have this, which is Starbound but worse?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
They posted somewhere on the forums, but they're having issues with both publisher and Microsoft about getting patches out.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Has anyone tried this Starship Troopers game on sale right now? It doesn’t look particularly novel, but it seems like a fun take on survival PvE with an IP I kind of like.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Yami Fenrir posted:

So we went from Starbound, which was supposed to be Terraria but better, except it ended up as Terraria but worse...

And now we have this, which is Starbound but worse?

Turns out the myth of the competent Starbound dev put down by management was only that. A myth.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gin_Rummy posted:

Has anyone tried this Starship Troopers game on sale right now? It doesn’t look particularly novel, but it seems like a fun take on survival PvE with an IP I kind of like.

It's pretty fun, but there's not a lot to it right now and there's a lot of "coming soon"'s in the loadout menu. The gameplay feels a bit like Deeprock Galactic but with 16 people so sometimes things go incredibly smoothly and other times it's just pure chaos. Still though, it's definitely fun shooting and blowing up bugs what was from the movie.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Aw man, wish we had a Aliens: Dark Descent thread. Not a perfect game, but one that's scratches and itch and I think could have an incredible sequel. I need to talk about which perks and upgrades are best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

explosivo posted:

It's pretty fun, but there's not a lot to it right now and there's a lot of "coming soon"'s in the loadout menu. The gameplay feels a bit like Deeprock Galactic but with 16 people so sometimes things go incredibly smoothly and other times it's just pure chaos. Still though, it's definitely fun shooting and blowing up bugs what was from the movie.

Is it only enjoyed with friends (thus requiring a group of 16 people you know), or is it pretty good even in pickup games?