Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

HashtagGirlboss posted:

This is California but could probably be posted up here too, lol

drat that's hardcore. I would respect that sign's wisdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
To me, every beach is dangerous and wants me loving dead! That doesn't mean anything to me. I've been swept out by two riptides, flung by 7 ft waves, beat up by a reef break that wanted to drown me by never providing some small opportunity to cut over the breakers. gently caress it. You take your life into your own hands any time you get in any water - that's the way of the world. Pray to Poseidon.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

My favorite part is “do not attempt to rescue people or dogs

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Always rescue dogs. :colbert:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Always rescue dogs. :colbert:

From the article I got the image from:

quote:

An 8-year-old Fortuna girl, Silvia Jane East, died in April after jumping into the waves. In 2012, Howard Kuljian, 54, and his 16-year-old son Gregory “Geddie” Kuljian were in mid-calf deep water when they tried to retrieve the family dog from the waves and were swept away. When Howard Kuljian’s wife Mary Elena Scott, 57, made an attempt to grab Geddie Kuljian in shallow water, she was also swept away, according to the statement. The dog survived.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
If my dog died and I never made any attempt to prevent that, you might as well kill me anyway. Don't wanna live with that knowledge

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
The Great Lakes have waves that have an extremely short wavelength when compared to either of the two oceans. On a semi-rare but sad occasion we see a nee'r-do-well going out from shore on a pontoon best meant for inland Michigan lakes and sinking from surprise 4ft swells that batter them in rapid succession.

Pontoons shouldn't go out on big inland freshwater seas when the forecast suggests ~30mph wind gusts.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

An 8-year-old Fortuna girl, Silvia Jane East, died in April after jumping into the waves. In 2012, Howard Kuljian, 54, and his 16-year-old son Gregory “Geddie” Kuljian were in mid-calf deep water when they tried to retrieve the family dog from the waves and were swept away. When Howard Kuljian’s wife Mary Elena Scott, 57, made an attempt to grab Geddie Kuljian in shallow water, she was also swept away, according to the statement. The dog survived.

jesus

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
reminds me of that scene from under the skin

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

I think the science is that like 4" of moving water has enough force to move a car, people think they're safe but just get blindsided. From the sign it looks like the currents trap you in a washing machine-like vortex, just like low-head dams in a river. Plus there's so much air in the agitated water that you are no longer buoyant, so your body is trapped in the current until someone can get a rope around you so there's something to bury.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

HashtagGirlboss posted:

From the article I got the image from:

One of my coworkers died in a similar way: she went to vermont on vacation, went for a walk with her dog, and never returned. It turns out her dog jumped into some lake or stream with a very strong invisible current, she jumped in after it, and both died. Fast-moving water is outrageously deadly

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

There's a famous gorge in Oregon, I forget the name, but the river is like 4 feet wide and looks calm, but it's actually like 20 feet deep and fast moving. If you go in you don't come out.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

smoobles posted:

There's a famous gorge in Oregon, I forget the name, but the river is like 4 feet wide and looks calm, but it's actually like 20 feet deep and fast moving. If you go in you don't come out.

On the coast? If so you might be thinking of devil’s churn at cape perpetua. It can be pretty wild but on the right weather and right tide conditions it can look deceptively calm. A guy lost his footing there a few years ago and tried to jump across and fell in and it took something like an hour for emergency crews to even respond

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devils_Churn

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Strabo4 posted:

I think the science is that like 4" of moving water has enough force to move a car, people think they're safe but just get blindsided. From the sign it looks like the currents trap you in a washing machine-like vortex, just like low-head dams in a river. Plus there's so much air in the agitated water that you are no longer buoyant, so your body is trapped in the current until someone can get a rope around you so there's something to bury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDGlN6mluGA

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Water is just bad in general and you shouldn't go in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCSUmwP02T8

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oceans, rivers, lakes, and streams just want to get back the water our bodies stole from them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I took some non-American friends to their first American beach this year.

"You have to pay? For the beach? What?"
"It closes? What? How? How does a beach close lmao no I don't think that's right"
"What do you mean hide the cigarette smoke? What do you mean you can't smoke here we're literally outdoors hahaha what are you saying to me right now"

They're so loving right it hurts

lol euros and their smokies

HashtagGirlboss posted:

My favorite part is “do not attempt to rescue people or dogs

People attempt to rescue dogs from hot springs sometimes.

It does not go well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

HashtagGirlboss posted:

In Oregon the beaches are universally free and pretty much laissez-faire as far as enforcement of any official rules go

This is tempered by “still frigid. We jumped in anyway…” being a condition that exists for maybe ten minutes a year in the tail end of august and even then the water wants to kill you

The Peggy's Cove plaque is good in this vein too

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

smoobles posted:

That sounds similar to The Strid in Britain. There's a Tom Scott video about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCSUmwP02T8. It doesn't exactly look calm but it's very narrow and deep

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Slippery rocks are weather now

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
The warming climate and drier weather will dry out that moss and algae, making the rocks less slippery and the stream less dangerous

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Slippery rocks are weather now

rivers are just ground weather

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

FistEnergy posted:

They have some good signs at Point Reyes in California
https://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/safety_beaches.htm
Dangerous:
- cliffs
- riptides
- sneaker waves
- large hungry sharks
- tsunamis
- hypothermia
- contaminated water

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

lol euros and their smokies

People attempt to rescue dogs from hot springs sometimes.

It does not go well.

that one from yellowstone is loving grisly

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Do you respect water?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I only respect wood

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

that one from yellowstone is loving grisly

You’re going to have to be more specific.

Likely you’re thinking of the one with Moosie in the 1980s, but in 2021 and woman tried to rescue her dog from Yellowstone’s Maiden’s Grave Spring in Yellowstone. She was unsuccessful and was hospitalized for four months. She had eighteen surgeries and a birthday in there.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

SirPablo posted:

Do you respect water?

it’s my favorite of the 4 elements

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Every one knows heart was the best element.

Oh and Yesterday was the hottest day globally on record apparently.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SirPablo posted:

Do you respect water?

I only respect iron

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

Rubellavator posted:

That sounds similar to The Strid in Britain. There's a Tom Scott video about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCSUmwP02T8. It doesn't exactly look calm but it's very narrow and deep

Brits just can’t swim

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Strabo4 posted:

Good thing the new hummer weighs 10k lbs then

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

hifi posted:

Good thing the new hummer weighs 10k lbs then

shhhhthe marketing department will hear you

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
posting is internet weather

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sandy Beach in Hawaii is also known as break neck beach because the break is so incredibly close to the shore. If you gently caress up and get crushed you are being slammed into the ground in about 2ft deep water. Water bad.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

In Oregon the beaches are universally free and pretty much laissez-faire as far as enforcement of any official rules go

This is tempered by “still frigid. We jumped in anyway…” being a condition that exists for maybe ten minutes a year in the tail end of august and even then the water wants to kill you

my dad loves to talk about a spot called The Wedge that was like this but also with a long-rear end jetty along one side where the break comes in, it used to have telephone polls all along it for some reason and he bought slices for all his buddies when they took the poles out. people get hosed up there regularly, i've been and it just seems awful.

(body)surf culture is loving weird.

e: the 'beach' is regularly an easy ten feet of sheer sand cliff above where the break hits the shore

Chard has issued a correction as of 06:16 on Jul 5, 2023

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The best element is the Honda Element

I don't know why they stopped makng them

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ex post facho posted:

reminds me of that scene from under the skin
that was the scariest scene in the movie. i wasn't as scared by scarlett johansson turning scottish men into alien food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

dr_rat posted:

Oh and Yesterday was the hottest day globally on record apparently.

DIM THE SUN! DIM THE SUN!