Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Chicken and ribs are great for beginner bbq. My wife would be happy if I only did chicken forever. Chicken a little more tricky but very rewarding. Those look very edible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
just took the ribs and pork chops off and maaaaan this poo poo's good. grilling rules. used Lavendar pepper from the farmer's market on the pork chops and it's fantastic

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Upgraded my PBC to a kamado style recently and wow, I wish I’d done it sooner. The PBC with a fan controller has served me well enough, but it’s way easier to hold temp with the ceramic cooker, and definitely benefits from being a true two-zone setup (Primo let’s me split the firebox in addition to the ceramic heat deflector plates) Everything so far has cooked way faster, but at the same time has been way juicier (which I’m sure is a result of not being directly over the coals the entire cook)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I smoked a hunk of pig:

In the eternal debate between "tacos" or "sandwich," I have chosen my side. I choose "yes."

I improvised modified version of Aaron Franklin's sauce that I think turned out really well:

quote:

8oz butter
1/2 yellow onion diced
2 cloves garlic sliced thinly
1.5 cups of ketchup
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1.5oz honey
1 Tbsp Worcestershire (or fish sauce but I think the sweetness helps round it out)
Salt
~1tsp black pepper
Half lemon, protruding seeds removed

Cook the onions in the butter until nearly translucent. Toss in the garlic and keep cooking until edges are just starting to brown. Add everything else (except the Worcestershire) and simmer until it tastes good. Adjust salt, vinegar, and honey to taste. Add Worcestershire to finish. The video kinda leaves off what to do with the solids (blend or strain) but I just grabbed the ol' stick blender and gave it a bllrrrrrp.

I was a little worried all that butter would be greasy and it did start out like that, but it emulsified really well even before the blender entered the picture.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I think last year I got a whole brisket for $1.99/lb on the day after the 4th at Smith's but checked today and no such deals. Pretty bummed. On "sale" for 4.99 down from regular of 5.99.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Weather was pretty rough here yesterday at times, so I performed the magic trick of sous vide reheating a brisket point from a few months ago. Chopped that up and served on these amazing buns my mom baked from scratch.

Everything turned out so delicious, and it was so convenient, that I might never work an active grill on the 4th again.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Enos Cabell posted:

Weather was pretty rough here yesterday at times, so I performed the magic trick of sous vide reheating a brisket point from a few months ago. Chopped that up and served on these amazing buns my mom baked from scratch.

Everything turned out so delicious, and it was so convenient, that I might never work an active grill on the 4th again.

your mom has nice buns

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Hey whats the recipe for those buns, hun?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Dumb question about cleaning my charcoal grill and trager pellet smoker.

When do you guys use the bbq bristle brush? When do you do a deep clean? I can never decide on when the grill/grates are clean enough.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kwolok posted:

When do you guys use the bbq bristle brush? When do you do a deep clean? I can never decide on when the grill/grates are clean enough.

I wouldn't advise using the metal brush ever.
I put the gates in the dishwasher every other smoke on the cookware setting and it's one of the few times my dishwasher works

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also, the paint on my MES is peeling and flaking off, normal? It's around the seal/door

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Can’t tell from the photo but is it paint? Or carbon soot mixed with a bit of grease?

Because I get the latter on my kettle lid pretty frequently and it just peels off.

If it is paint then sand it off and buy high temp black paint to repair it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Would think if it was the paint rather than the ol' soot'n'grease peel you would see some rust somewhere

Inside lid of my propane grill and the old kettle kinda look like the photo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought it was soot but it's kinda silvery colored which I assume is the color under the paint

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Kwolok posted:

Pellet grill: I have enamel coated grates and don't need to worry about rust or seasoning. So I use a walnut bristle brush (or any non metal fibre) before and after every smoke, maybe a paper towel wipe down before if things are janky. Every couple of smokes I'll pull the grates off and do a soap and water wash. Every couple of months I'll pull the heat deflector off and scrape it clean.

Offset smoker / charcoal grill: I have cast iron grates. I initially did a vinegar soak and scrub to get the rust off, then oil coated and ran the smoker empty to season them. Now all I do is use the walnut brush to knock off big chunks and cook fatty stuff once Ina while to keep them coated.

Kamado: stainless steel grates, I just hit them with something abrasive to knock the crap off, periodically soap and water wash.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Kwolok posted:

For my kettle, I have this "safe clean" brush and this scraper. The brush is meh in terms of effectiveness, but I scrape down the grates before putting any food on. If I'm building a hot fire, I'll spin the top grate around so that as much gunk as possible burns off. The scraper works but is too much trouble unless you've got a really stuck on bit.

Sometimes a paper towel and some dish soap is the best thing. I typically do a more thorough cleaning of the grates whenever they start to get persistently gunky with stuff that doesn't just burn off, or if I'm doing a lot of smoking where it doesn't get hot enough.

I also do a deep clean of the whole grill annually. I use a nontoxic degreaser, a tire cleaning brush in a bucket of soapy water, and a hose for that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

More like bird with a big meat

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Bird with Big Deckle

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tryin real hard to love a picture.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Post pictures of the inside motherfucker

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody cut pork butts somewhat thin to smoke? Lidl has cheap half shoulders. I bought two half shoulders planning on smoking in 4 pieces. I think it can handle it. To get a more smoked surface area. I already did it before to good result and this is just 2x.

I mainly use for ramen.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

ABen posted:

This may be the wrong thread, but does anyone have any other veggie/vegan go-tos for grilling and/or smoking?

Has the cookout happened yet? You can do something simple like grilled zucchini spears that just need a bit of seasoning, herbs and vinegar. Grilled Brussels sprouts as well.

I've frequently made this vegan mac and cheese and it's turned out nicely. You may just need to tweak it a bit so you can sit it in the smoker for a while.

Vegan smoked baked beans are also good, and cornbread.

I recall someone here posted a description for making a grilled/smoked cinnamon pineapple that sounded amazing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fall Dog posted:

Has the cookout happened yet? You can do something simple like grilled zucchini spears that just need a bit of seasoning, herbs and vinegar. Grilled Brussels sprouts as well.

Yeah these are easy and great.

Obviously corn.

I did some eggplant and it came out really good as well. Portobello mushrooms of course.

I grilled some cherry tomatoes for a salad which came out legit.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
If you want to make a veggie main (so that vegetarians don't just end up with a big plate of sides) what about flatbreads or pizzas? Both are grillable.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah these are easy and great.

Obviously corn.

I did some eggplant and it came out really good as well. Portobello mushrooms of course.

I grilled some cherry tomatoes for a salad which came out legit.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention vegan elote.

Tofu "burnt ends" are also a thing. Jackfruit sliders as well. Both of those can use components you're already using for the meats, i.e sauces and rubs, so it shouldn't add too much complexity to the menu and still fits with the smoked foods vibe.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Smoking a couple racks of baby backs tomorrow. Lately my new thing is getting the smoking done wicked early and keeping the meat warm for a few hours until dinner time.

Anyone have a good method for resting and keeping ribs warm?

I’ve had great success with leaving pulled pork and brisket in my toaster oven on the warm setting for hours and hours. What about ribs?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I Guess you cant really smoke chicken breasts lol. Despite taking them off at like 155 they were dry AF

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I Guess you cant really smoke chicken breasts lol. Despite taking them off at like 155 they were dry AF

You definitely can! Just take them off sooner. 145 and rest or 125-130 and sear a little, but that's just my method. I usually smoke very low until 125-130 and sear after.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheDK posted:

You definitely can! Just take them off sooner. 145 and rest or 125-130 and sear a little, but that's just my method. I usually smoke very low until 125-130 and sear after.

Ok maybe I’ll give another shot sometime in a few months. They aren’t something I eat regularly anyway

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I eat a lot of chicken. If you want to smoke a part of it, do thighs or thigh quarters or wings. Dark meat. The white meat doesn’t smoke well at all. It’ll be better grilled 100% of the time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

I eat a lot of chicken. If you want to smoke a part of it, do thighs or thigh quarters or wings. Dark meat. The white meat doesn’t smoke well at all. It’ll be better grilled 100% of the time.

Yeah I’ve done a lot of dark and it’s been great. I’ll probably just stick to that tbh

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Any favorite mods for the WSM? Just cut a probe port in my new (to me) 18".

Now that I have these cobalt bits, thinking of maybe doing a hinge for the lid?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Boneless skinless is really not easy to smoke because there's nothing keeping the moisture in.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

Any favorite mods for the WSM? Just cut a probe port in my new (to me) 18".

Now that I have these cobalt bits, thinking of maybe doing a hinge for the lid?

Might not be necessary for an 18” but when I had my little wsm having handles to take off the main body to refill the charcoal would have been very helpful.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Might not be necessary for an 18” but when I had my little wsm having handles to take off the main body to refill the charcoal would have been very helpful.

This is my second year on the WSM and those handles would come in very handy.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I've been putting off putting wheels on my WSM for years now.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Smoking a couple racks of baby backs tomorrow. Lately my new thing is getting the smoking done wicked early and keeping the meat warm for a few hours until dinner time.

Anyone have a good method for resting and keeping ribs warm?

I’ve had great success with leaving pulled pork and brisket in my toaster oven on the warm setting for hours and hours. What about ribs?

When I do briskets and pulled pork I wrap, maybe adding some tallow/lard as appropriate.

I don't think ribs benefit from a long rest as much as a big chunk of meat would, but I works just wrap them in butcher paper to keep them from drying out and see what happens.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
Anyone got a masterbuilt gravity smoker? Interested in your reviews and thoughts on mod’s. Waiting until the end of the summer to hopefully grab one on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't have the Masterbuilt, but I have the Chargriller and I love it. Glad I got it over a pellet grill. I had an issue recently where it was taking a long time to get to temp, but pulling the inner hopper basket and emptying it out completely fixed the issue. I think a lot of small charcoal bunched up at the bottom and blocked airflow. Otherwise it has been excellent to me and I'd encourage everyone looking at a grill to check out a gravity grill.