Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I went ahead and did the 600 mile service myself after the dealer wanted $500. They said they would honor the warranty anyway, so I got the oil and filter from them so they have the date of purchase on it and using the recommended oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sagebrush posted:

I wouldn't trust the bike's internal meter either though. Test it with a multimeter in all the different circumstances (out of circuit, in circuit bike off, bike on headlight off, headlight on, while starting, engine running at idle, engine running at 5000 RPM) to get a good idea of how it's actually performing.

Or just ride it because it's a brand new AGM battery and it's fine.

Yeah I don't have anything beyond my tiny toolkit so testing voltages is going to have to wait.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
(From the picture derived value) 6.3 ah is tiny as hell in old batteri tech. This might actually be one of the few unicorn cases where a li-something battery has an actual use case.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
My friend vinyl wrapped the fly screen on the buell yesterday. I also ordered a new oil cooler scoop and he is going to wrap the airbox and the front fender this coming week. I also got my Nelson-Riggs tail bag which I am extremely happy with. Its so nice to have a small place to put phone, wallet and what ever other little things I might carry in.

I also ordered a Michelin Road 5 for the rear since some maniac put one of those autozone tire plugs in the rear tire.

Valt fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 19, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Added a small CarPlay screen cradle on both bikes.

Screen itself is 5”, reasonably responsive to my worn out “touchscreen compatible” gloves, feeds audio to my Cardo headset, and doesn’t look terribly unsightly even on the DRZ.

This lets me get rid of the weird RAM Mount->Quadlock Vibration Damper->Quad Lock Qi Wireless Charger tower of gadgets that mounted my iPhone to the handlebars. I was never really comfortable with having my expensive phone on a paint shaker even with the vibration damper, but I am hopeless without some kind of turn-by-turn GPS outside of my immediate area.

I never really fiddled with my phone while riding but the few times I did need to adjust GPS or pause music and found my phone had locked, or the orientation locked itself in portrait while the phone was sideways was annoying, so having a dedicated UI optimized for driving is some small added comfort knowing I won’t have to fiddle with the device itself to get it to do what I need.

And the extra cradle was like $19 FedEx shipped from China because their site is broken and just ships everything for free apparently.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 21, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm not anti-GPS but that thing looks like there will be a lot of potential/temptation to gently caress around with it while you're riding.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The potential was there with the phone as well, and I'd argue previously MUCH more dangerous and attention grabbing. I've been riding with a phone on my bikes for three years so I'm trusting myself to have an ounce of common sense :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

some kinda jackal posted:

Added a small CarPlay screen cradle on both bikes.

Link? I've been trying to ditch the big RAM mount phone holder as well

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On phone so don’t have link handy but google Ottocast C5 Lite. There’s other brands you’ll find it under as it’s basically a rebadged Chinese unit so prices may vary. If you search you’ll find a bunch of various forum and reddit posts that list out the alternatives :)

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Can you get some more pics of that mounted on the DRZ? I would be interested to see where it sits and how it fits.

I've thought about a rally tower but that seems wild overkill just to fit a gps but most of the mount-to-your-bars approaches seem .... ugly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You bet. Going to a bike night after work, I’ll try to remember to snap some pics.

I mean it’s a screen mounted to a minimal dual sport so it’ll never look /amazing/, but it’s a fun utility bike so I don’t think it detracts :)

Stay tuned.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

You bet. Going to a bike night after work, I’ll try to remember to snap some pics.

I mean it’s a screen mounted to a minimal dual sport so it’ll never look /amazing/, but it’s a fun utility bike so I don’t think it detracts :)

Stay tuned.

the non-lite version looks like it uses a standard ball mount, does that carry over to the less expensive model too?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Much better. I think I have started to bring this fork seal fiasco to a close

I was able to turn the cinder blocks lengthwise and cram two bottle jacks on top of them, one for each side of the triple tree, and jack it up enough to get the new stand in place with just barely clearing the cinder blocks. The fork seals have been replaced, got the forks and front wheel back on the bike, and now I can start the process of putting all the fairings back on.

The stand feels rock solid, I felt the cost but still would be less than if the bike fell off and did some real damage, I'm going to get their rear stand next to replace my old lovely one and hopefully never have something like that happen again.

This seems to be the only damage from the fall. Does it look like anything to worry about?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's unsightly but won't matter

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Hallelujah, thanks for the eyes on it!

Gonna finally get to ride it after a handful of weeks, meanwhile busy planning what PO'ing I'll do to it next

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think it was motortrend who progressively beat up the exhaust of an engine on a dyno to see how long it took to start losing horsepower.

The exhaust has to be absolutely mangled beyond belief to cause power issues, turns out.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I also thought of that vid. I think they actually gained some hp after the first few wacks lol

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Speed holesdents!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I think it was motortrend who progressively beat up the exhaust of an engine on a dyno to see how long it took to start losing horsepower.

The exhaust has to be absolutely mangled beyond belief to cause power issues, turns out.

That's right, a MX magazine also did this with a 2t expansion chamber with similar results

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I was able to turn the cinder blocks lengthwise and cram two bottle jacks on top of them, one for each side of the triple tree, and jack it up enough to get the new stand in place with just barely clearing the cinder blocks. The fork seals have been replaced, got the forks and front wheel back on the bike, and now I can start the process of putting all the fairings back on.

The stand feels rock solid, I felt the cost but still would be less than if the bike fell off and did some real damage, I'm going to get their rear stand next to replace my old lovely one and hopefully never have something like that happen again.

This seems to be the only damage from the fall. Does it look like anything to worry about?

Pit Bull stands just feel so nice. I want to get a head lift stand like the one you bought, but yeah that plus a replacement rear stand is nearly $500. :negative:

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

RightClickSaveAs posted:

You could probably flatten that header and it would barely matter. Engine masters did a whole episode on this specifically.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jazzzzz posted:

the non-lite version looks like it uses a standard ball mount, does that carry over to the less expensive model too?

Yep. C5 lite shipped with a (removable) ram-spec ball mount on the back of the cradle. It came with a bunch of hardware to mount to the bike but I just used the same RAM arm from my quadlock setup so can’t really comment on how good their stuff is.

Got pulled away from bike stuff tonight but I’ll grab those pics tomorrow.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Afaik golf balls have dimples for aerodynamic reasons. Perhaps golf ball dimples all over the exhaust would improve things.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

My bikes have been on this optimate through the winter

A Correct approach.

I have 2 of them.

One is for the LiveWire's lithium battery. That charger is the Optimate 1, their cheapest offering which does any and all types of batteries.

The other is for the Fat Bob, which is the Optimate 2 I think, which only does non-lithium batteries.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Redvenom posted:

Can you get some more pics of that mounted on the DRZ? I would be interested to see where it sits and how it fits.

Ya here you go

I relocated it up by the mirror; After a quick ride I realized where it was previously was right in my helmet’s chin blind spot so I’d be looking down if I wanted to consult where I was, but also the closest hand was throttle which I don’t really want to be tempted to use. This works pretty well IMO and doesn’t look as awkward sticking up as I’d expected.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 23, 2023

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Good to know about the exhaust headers, I feel much better now.

Toe Rag posted:

Pit Bull stands just feel so nice. I want to get a head lift stand like the one you bought, but yeah that plus a replacement rear stand is nearly $500. :negative:
Yeah I'm justifying it by rationalizing that it should last forever and work on just about any bike I could end up with. I went a little extra and got the height adjustable, double duty head lift that can also attach fork lifts, so I should be able to at least get the front wheel off anything unless there are incompatible fork designs.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

I relocated it up by the mirror; After a quick ride I realized where it was previously was right in my helmet’s chin blind spot so I’d be looking down if I wanted to consult where I was, but also the closest hand was throttle which I don’t really want to be tempted to use. This works pretty well IMO and doesn’t look as awkward sticking up as I’d expected.

Great, thanks. Bit bulky for my tastes but glad you found something that works for you. I also don't really need one as my sense of direction is pretty good but the idea is so tantalising.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Rode it to the shops and back, and hit a milestone!

:devil:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Had my suspension redone by this guy https://www.werproducts.net and then went for a ride and it’s so good. I cannot possibly overstate how much better good suspension is. If you’re thinking about spending money on your bike, spend it on suspension first. obviously after you buy all the orange anodized things

Pic with fogcondensation on the lens and without. Very artistic. The perfect angle.

Look at the subtle water feature.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well my clutch cable broke on the buell at work which is incredibly annoying. I have a new one on order now but its probably going to be a week before I get it though. My friend came over today and wrapped the plastics on the buell so I don't have to rock the cool nordic symbols on it anymore. I went ahead and hit all the lettering with 100 grit to flatten it so it wouldn't show through the vinyl. Bike looks so much better now. I also put a new rear tire on it and a Nelson-Riggs tail bag.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Redvenom posted:

Great, thanks. Bit bulky for my tastes but glad you found something that works for you. I also don't really need one as my sense of direction is pretty good but the idea is so tantalising.

All good, yeah! I’m going to try to move it down a little, in line with the handlebar in the coming weeks but I’ve got to come up with a different mount for it. Not terribly excited about just using the u-clamp vs bolting down to a secure spot so I’ll do a little homework. Will report back if I come up with anything, but I’m having a good time just riding with it so tbh I may forget all about it instead :haw:

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023
I think it's time I replace the front brake lines/brake reservoir on my R6. I keep getting air in the brake line and I've been driving myself nuts trying to find out from where. I've wanted new lines anyway so this will be excuse.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I've been busy trying to get this Buell sorted out. I got the clutch cable replaced and while I did that I changed the trans fluid since it looked and smelled pretty bad. I also went ahead and changed the engine oil and filter. I noticed that while I was taking the drain plug out of the swingarm it was VERY tight. So of course the threads are completely hosed and I'm going to have to get it thread-serted.

I recently got some black renthal bars and new grips as well as some new mirrors to get rid of those horrible bar end mirrors. I also used some caustic soda to strip the pink anodizing off a lot of the parts. Once I get this stupid drain plug fixed the bike will be 99% there.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Valt posted:

I changed the trans fluid since it looked and smelled pretty bad.

Why is this? Gear oil reeks in a way that motor oil doesn't. Some kind of sulfurous compound?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's all the fish rear end extract

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Slide Hammer posted:

Why is this? Gear oil reeks in a way that motor oil doesn't. Some kind of sulfurous compound?

The trans fluid is also the primary / clutch fluid. So it was just filled with clutch material and it hadn't been changed in a long time I'm sure.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I mean, it stinks in differentials and the manual gearboxes of cars, too.

Maybe not "stinks"-stinks, but, it's different.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Last week my clutch cable snapped. It felt odd shortly after leaving work, and checking the adjuster at the lever I saw some of the wire strands were frayed, so I went home. Got to my garage and it fully let go when I popped into first to ride the last few feet in.

So today was the replacement, which required getting the fuel tank, air intake, and battery tray out of the way. Replaced the air filter that I've had sitting for six months as well.

Went to swap the rear tail light with an LED array piece, but that ended up blowing the fuse that killed the turn signals, and I didn't think it appeared much more visible standing several feet behind compared to the factory bulb so I didn't bother trying it again

Filled the coolant reservoir tank which looked to be dry :pepsi:

Clutch feels great now. I knew it was a difficult pull before and needed lubed which I was putting off, but I didn't realize exactly how bad it was until feeling it with the new cable.

After renewing registration around the similar time on both the car and the bike, I've put more miles on the bike last year for my second year of riding :grin:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Gradual degradation is a nasty thing. My mandatory item to replace on new to me bikes is always the fork oil. It's simply not a thing people do unless the seals leak, and it make so much difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Supradog posted:

Gradual degradation is a nasty thing. My mandatory item to replace on new to me bikes is always the fork oil. It's simply not a thing people do unless the seals leak, and it make so much difference.

I did a full fork service on the 919 at 41k miles, and I'm pretty sure it'd never been done before. The oil was pitch black. It was night and day after fresh oil and bushings.