Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mycomancy posted:

Deep Space LGBTQ+

Deep Space Pride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

alexandriao posted:

Also I appreciate that Quark went to bashir like "I wanna change my gender" and Bashir was presumably just like "lmao can do", although Bashir being trans, it makes sense

Yeah that's low-key great. Just pop into sick bay, have them wave the light thing, update your personnel file, and away you go. A total non-issue.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Outpost22 posted:

Can Cardassians and humans even have a baby? I think Cardassians and Bajorans can, but I've never heard of any other combinations.

The Federation president in Disco was some combination of Cardassian, Bajoran and human.
That plus that one progenitor race jizzing in everyone's genepools probably make it likely.

Edit: Plus that one Cardassian scientist who has the hots for O'Brien implies that it's possible.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 4, 2023

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah that's low-key great. Just pop into sick bay, have them wave the light thing, update your personnel file, and away you go. A total non-issue.

I only recently watched that episode having missed it on TV years ago. That bit was great, and could be read to imply that in the federation there are no people not in their right gender because it's no more serious than getting a mole removed.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Though NB people still exist in the 31st Century Federation.

naem
May 29, 2011

Eighties ZomCom posted:

The Federation president in Disco was some combination of Cardassian, Bajoran and human.
That plus that one progenitor race jizzing in everyone's genepools probably make it likely.

Edit: Plus that one Cardassian scientist who has the hots for O'Brien implies that it's possible.

https://youtu.be/sD5e54UVrZk

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I guess less implies and more outright states lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just watched the episode where they send O'Brian undercover into the Orion Syndicate. Its nice to know that out of the millions of Starfleet personelle they were like "Yeah get that non com O'brian working on this".

What the hell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hollismason posted:

Just watched the episode where they send O'Brian undercover into the Orion Syndicate. Its nice to know that out of the millions of Starfleet personelle they were like "Yeah get that non com O'brian working on this".

What the hell.

To be mildly fair, outside of general plot contrivance he's a reasonable choice; He's well off the Syndicate's radar as an Officer on a remote outpost, and has actual ground combat and hand-to-hand fighting experience from the Cardassian war as well as a wealth of knowledge for engineering and adapting on the fly. He's about as close to James Bond as they're gonna get.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

O'Brien losing his kid to a loving time portal hahahahahaha

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

putting all my chips on "molly comes back as a 20yro"

e: haaahahahahaha

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be mildly fair, outside of general plot contrivance he's a reasonable choice; He's well off the Syndicate's radar as an Officer on a remote outpost, and has actual ground combat and hand-to-hand fighting experience from the Cardassian war as well as a wealth of knowledge for engineering and adapting on the fly. He's about as close to James Bond as they're gonna get.

Yeah but on the other hand Starfleet Intelligence exists.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Only if the writers remember. See: sending the bridge crew of the enterprise to go destroy a romulan spy base.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

They explicitly state they went outside their own guys cause they were too obviously spies and they'd lost several already.. They xXx"d O"Brien in as someone more average-joe.

But yes, it's damning of Starfleet Intelligence that they have no good covert agents.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
That whole episode just felt like a weird fit for Star Trek, like one of the writers saw Donnie Brasco and said "let's do that as a Star Trek episode!".

(Donnie Brasco came out around that same time, right?)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

lmao at O'Brien sending his kid to live 300 years in the past on some random rear end planet rather than giving her professional medical help

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

dude will do anything to avoid therapists

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

alexandriao posted:

lmao at O'Brien sending his kid to live 300 years in the past on some random rear end planet rather than giving her professional medical help

Yeah, that one was a victim of rewrites that lost perspective. The original version had Molly being raised in a different culture that found her and being unable to adapt, so they sent her home. When they changed it to being feral relatively late in the process they never addressed how hosed up that made the ending decision.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
lol it was originally written as a TNG ep to kill of alexander

quote:

The basic premise of this episode was originally conceived by Joe Menosky for Star Trek: The Next Generation as a way to write Alexander Rozhenko out of the series (as René Echevarria explains it, Menosky came up with the story "as a way to get rid of Alexander, who he really disliked!"). In the original story, Worf and Alexander are on a hunting trip, and Worf loses sight of his son for moment, at which time Alexander falls into a time portal and is retrieved fifteen years later as an embittered Klingon warrior who hates his father for having abandoned him. The episode was never green-lit because Michael Piller was not keen on killing off the character (again, as Echevarria explains, "Alexander was Michael Piller's mother's favorite character!"). (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion (pp. 577-579)) However, the idea of an older Alexander from the future did form the basis of the episode "Firstborn". (Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion (2nd ed., p. 292))

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I’m just like Worf, I always forget Alexander exists.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Ah so Alexander only survived because he had friends in high places.

The system works!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, that one was a victim of rewrites that lost perspective. The original version had Molly being raised in a different culture that found her and being unable to adapt, so they sent her home. When they changed it to being feral relatively late in the process they never addressed how hosed up that made the ending decision.

Ehhh the resolution of getting Molly back was kind of ok, but if they had had any sense they'd have kept older molly and had it over 3 episodes, with her being a future recurring character

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I love that slide out of frame she does.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Ah so Alexander only survived because he had friends in high places.

The system works!

Star Trek and nepotism. Name a more iconic pair.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

nine-gear crow posted:

Star Trek and nepotism. Name a more iconic pair.

Damar and kanar

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

alexandriao posted:

dude will do anything to avoid therapists

After the fourth Starfleet therapist who tried to mind merge O'Brien went insane and drove a shuttle into a black hole Chief was given excemption.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
O'Brien has a black box label that pops up for counselors on his personal file

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Watching Season 7 of DS9 now and oh poo poo it's Tuco!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

DaveWoo posted:

Watching Season 7 of DS9 now and oh poo poo it's Tuco!

You misspelled Ding Chavez

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ezri Dax is fine smh stop whining

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

alexandriao posted:

Ezri Dax is fine smh stop whining

I'm about halfway through S7 now and so far she seems like a potentially interesting concept that the writers don't really know what to do with

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I like Dr M'Benga and i hope he does not die

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I like Dr M'Benga and i hope he does not die

Unless they pull a "Kirk's brother" sort of thing, he's still alive in TOS, albeit no longer Chief Medical Officer. Curious to see if he steps down for personal reasons or does something unhinged that results in demotion (seeing his emergency combat stims in the first episode of S2 has kind of made me hope for the latter, Mad Scientist M'Benga would be fun).

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

After 3 seasons of SNW M'Benga will get censured for the weird daughter thing, the distribution of incredibly illegal combat stimulants, and five years of medical war crimes. This is only slightly worse than average for a Starfleet doctor, so he just loses about 10 years of seniority or so.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Unless they pull a "Kirk's brother" sort of thing, he's still alive in TOS, albeit no longer Chief Medical Officer.

Is he? It’s been ages since I’ve watched any tos.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

RandolphCarter posted:

Is he? It’s been ages since I’ve watched any tos.

Yeah, this is how he looked in TOS

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSLCzgF_dXI

Administered treatment to Spock by slapping the poo poo out of him, what a pimp

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

Maybe they needed someone who had lived on a station that used money for a few years. Their agents kept getting tripped up by capitalism and blowing their cover.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

My kid and I have been enjoying all the Spot action in S7 TNG.

The episode where one part of a planet wants to join the Federation, but both societies are assholes was good. I like how Riker just laid it all out no you won’t be joining the federation and there was no reconciliation with the planet’s 2 societies at the end.

Lots of data episodes. Also up until the S7 episode we watched it was established Data was fully functional but the mom episode also said he’s anatomically correct. Data has balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Ezri Dax was great and Nicole de Boer did great with what she was given. Unfortunately, she was given a behind-the-scenes mess to clean up and a show entering let's-wrap-this-up! hyperdrive.