Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/ii46SWfIrZA

https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/03/storm-chaser-films-tornado-and-its-way-too-close-to-comfort-19056620/

Certifiably insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I was in Garowe, Somalia once and the entire traffic management was speedbump based. No signs no
lights no nothing, just a really substantial speedbump every couple meters. Traffic was incredibly reasonable tbh.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Now someone from Home depot has to steal a forklift and go kill someone at lowes to balance things out.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

yummycheese posted:

yea. dyneema rules. just cant leave it in the sun because the UV attacks it something fierce.

sailboats use it a bunch. but are expected to have to replace it every few years as it gets torn up.

Technora in the sheath, dyneema in the sheets.

https://www.bluewaterropes.com/product/8mm-canyon-extreme/

(at $500 for 65 meters I'm not leaving that ridiculously overbuilt rope in the sun either)

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Antigravitas posted:

It's all a Tau for me :v:

English names for different types confuse me.

e: Like, if that's a line, that's annoying because a Leine is isn't a thick Tau. line == Trosse? Urgh.

Just wait until you learn about sheets.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

RatHat posted:

Does this guy live in the Shire?

It’s really pretty background, I was thinking Northern Europe but image search found it in Washington - it’s called the Castle Cabin.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

wesleywillis posted:

Now someone from Home depot has to steal a forklift and go kill someone at lowes to balance things out.

The potential for rap battles alone is enormous.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Used to live next to one and got off work at the same times the bars close. Open window weather was amazing. Idiot drunk after idiot drunk would smash their cars into that thing. Mine was a dip rather than a hump though and the crunching and scraping sounds were much louder than that video.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Antigravitas posted:

e: Like, if that's a line, that's annoying because a Leine is isn't a thick Tau. line == Trosse? Urgh.

It’s just a nautical thing.

It’s a rope when it’s in the locker but almost always a line when employed anywhere on the ship.

There are a handful of exceptions. A pirate’s wheel may have been connected to the rudder by a wheel rope. If you have one to steady yourself as you walk up the gangway, that is a man rope.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTgIUYBN5ZY

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/56k4sbD.mp4

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Platystemon posted:

It’s just a nautical thing.

It’s a rope when it’s in the locker but almost always a line when employed anywhere on the ship.

There are a handful of exceptions. A pirate’s wheel may have been connected to the rudder by a wheel rope. If you have one to steady yourself as you walk up the gangway, that is a man rope.

And ships’ bells are rung with bell ropes.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/tMHnUsv.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Phanatic posted:

The potential for rap battles alone is enormous.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

what the gently caress

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
If you haven't checked your external dryer vent for bird nests then today's a good day to do it! :backtowork:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Antigravitas posted:

Looking at a Norwegian encyclopedia, the traditional wording is very roughly:
Line: Thin rope, like you'd use on a flag pole
Tau: Rope, 1-3 cm or so
Trosse: A thick rope wound from three or four tau-equivalent cords
Kabel: An even thicker construction wound from three or four trosser.

Traditionally, you use trosser as lines (in the English sense), though apparently Norwegian also has specific words for mooring lines depending on the direction: A spring is diagonal, from an end of the ship towards the middle (and stops it moving along the quay), while a brest is perpendicular and stops it drifting away from land. You can also use lines from the stem/stern that head away from the ship - stem/stern - trosser - though that's just literally "stem/stern [thick-] ropes".

The English distinction is that "rope" is a material and "line" is a usage, I think.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 4, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/brennasaid/status/1676022393293221892

I mean this has to be a joke, right?

https://puracy.com/collections/clean-can

...oh, no, it's real.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Not as bad as that but there's a stock in a can you get in the UK.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Do those have pull tabs? Seems like a lot of cleaner or stock to have to use all at once.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ror posted:

Do those have pull tabs? Seems like a lot of cleaner or stock to have to use all at once.

They sure do! :v:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Quackles posted:

They sure do! :v:

Some logistics guy at that company was like "So, I got a lead on soda canning line being sold for real cheap..."

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Ror posted:

Yup. Sure hope you need exactly half a litre/a pint of stock. No more. No less.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That's actually a cool design with the adapter head, and aluminum/aluminium is a lot more recyclable then plastic. Shame about the lethality

Maybe if world help if it opened by some weird awkward method like a small square in the dead center

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

At my local auto zone they had some snake oil bullshit called power shot your supposed to dump in your gas tank for reasons...But they sold it at the front counter next to the 5 hour energys. Evidently they must have been an incident since they had to put up a sign saying how it's for your car and not for ingestion. Why they didn't move where they sold it I don't know.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 5, 2023

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Sagebrush posted:

one of these things is not like the others.

yeah, Cody dropped out before completing his degree

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Duct Tape Engineer posted:

yeah, Cody dropped out before completing his degree

Now, now, E&F has only submitted his thesis

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

SimonSays posted:

Now, now, E&F has only submitted his thesis

his Ph.D thesis; Cody dropped out as an undergrad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Not as bad as that but there's a stock in a can you get in the UK.

fabuloso is a cleaning solution comparable to pine-sol

but look at the delicious fruit on the label!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
“Passion of Fruits” is a hell of a scent.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Sagebrush posted:

fabuloso is a cleaning solution comparable to pine-sol

but look at the delicious fruit on the label!

You can't fool me, it says soda right on the label. That is clearly a refreshing beverage.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol is that even legal to sell in the EU with that packaging?

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

redgubbinz posted:

Big Altima Energy is a hell of a drug

Wasn't there some Goon a long time ago who bragged about buying a new Altima but got fleeced by a lovely dealership for tens of thousands of dollars?

This would have been like, 10-15 years ago when a good mid size sedan was $45000, and he paid something like $69000.

I remember he posted his finance sheet and he didn't read the terms right and thought he had a good deal and everyone was pointing out how much he got absolutely raked over the coals for like a lovely 2005 Altima he got for the price of a BMW. I remember he took transit to buy the car, and was basically the perfect mark for a sleazy salesman.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
iirc it was a lease so not only did he have $42k in finance charges, he didn’t own the vehicle at the end of the contract.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Fatrick posted:

Wasn't there some Goon a long time ago who bragged about buying a new Altima but got fleeced by a lovely dealership for tens of thousands of dollars?

This would have been like, 10-15 years ago when a good mid size sedan was $45000, and he paid something like $69000.

I remember he posted his finance sheet and he didn't read the terms right and thought he had a good deal and everyone was pointing out how much he got absolutely raked over the coals for like a lovely 2005 Altima he got for the price of a BMW. I remember he took transit to buy the car, and was basically the perfect mark for a sleazy salesman.

God someone please post the link.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

The spiral stairs design and construction technique look questionable, but it’s a big hunk of reinforced (even if nonoptimally) concrete that’s going to be holding up itself and one adult human carrying groceries.

As long as it’s not cracked, it’s probably fine.

We regret to inform you that all concrete is cracked.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

wesleywillis posted:

God someone please post the link.

I searched the Goldmine, and couldn't find it. It was a very old thread.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://www.instagram.com/p/CuDJ-tfgbM2/

A barber using a cordless drill with a comb in it to curl a guy's hair (he does NOT look happy about it).

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/f2i7LT0.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/b80O7ng.mp4