Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

explosivo posted:

Mastodon really sucks, like there's nothing fun that gets any sort of engagement and it's so hard to seek the "good stuff" out, presumably because of the feds thing. The Explore tab is just full of people talking about how insecure Threads is going to be, how bad Twitter is, a peppering of bot accounts that post like "interesting history photos" and things of that sort, and a few real people posting real stupid jokes that get a couple hundred likes. I'm pretty certain Mastodon had their chance the last time interest in other platforms spiked but blew it by having an utterly confusing signup process to the average user that probably turned most people away before they were able to make an account.

Yeah I never bothered with signing up for an account because the very first step was to choose an instance that (1) you liked and (2) wouldn’t get shut down because the person running it decided to not bother anymore. Then I read about how switching instances means all your history is nuked, and also how other servers will blanket block arbitrary servers for both reasons I can agree with (its run by nazis for nazis) and also can’t agree with (it’s a large popular server so there might be some nazis due to law of large numbers). Like a bunch of mastodon servers are already planning on freezing out Threads even though they use the same backend protocol.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
^^^ :same:

Sankis posted:

Yeah, there's no reason to ever do it even if legally allowed. I just mean to say that I think even aside from that I think she's a true believer in Elon being a business and tech genius

Yeah, I took a look at her Twitter history back when she was originally appointed as CEO, and she seems pretty ideologically aligned with Elon on a lot of stuff.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

what are people ITT expecting of the CEO lol, should she say "this site loving sucks and elon's an rear end in a top hat"

i for one would be a CEO of the people. vox populi, vox dei

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

how does implementing rate limiting help them detect bots? couldn't they just detect which users are making unrealistic requests without actually rate limiting?

like it makes absolutely zero sense to me but i'm not the smartest, richest CTO that ever lived so i dunno

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I uninstalled Mastodon because no matter on how good connection I was, sometimes it just stopped loading posts with a shameful "timeout error" message printed on the bottom of the screen like a shy child admitting they pooped into their toybox

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

thathonkey posted:

Do we have legal standing to sue twitter for not asking us to vote on these recent changes before making them?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

what are people ITT expecting of the CEO lol, should she say "this site loving sucks and elon's an rear end in a top hat"

that's what i would say

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ben shapino posted:

how does implementing rate limiting help them detect bots? couldn't they just detect which users are making unrealistic requests without actually rate limiting?

like it makes absolutely zero sense to me but i'm not the smartest, richest CTO that ever lived so i dunno

it doesnt. its just an excuse. bot activity increased after he fired most of the engineers and eliminated the trust and safety department. keeping bot activity at bay is an extremely complex technological problem and a moving target, basically an arms race. you need entire teams dedicated to preventing it, but it can never be eliminated entirely

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

thathonkey posted:

looking into it

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ben shapino posted:

that's what i would say

im always saying that but im not theoretically paid a lot of money to not say it

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

explosivo posted:

Mastodon really sucks, like there's nothing fun that gets any sort of engagement and it's so hard to seek the "good stuff" out, presumably because of the feds thing. The Explore tab is just full of people talking about how insecure Threads is going to be, how bad Twitter is, a peppering of bot accounts that post like "interesting history photos" and things of that sort, and a few real people posting real stupid jokes that get a couple hundred likes. I'm pretty certain Mastodon had their chance the last time interest in other platforms spiked but blew it by having an utterly confusing signup process to the average user that probably turned most people away before they were able to make an account.

The name makes me think of guys in tight leather with big hair.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Heath posted:

Data mining is literally the only way the Internet actually makes money

However the data is actually mostly worthless, is almost exclusively used for either advertising or by scammers and one day the online advertising/'big data' bubble will burst

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Halisnacks posted:

Other than the (very few) CEOs who end up in prison or imploded in the ocean, are there prominent examples of CEOs who couldn’t find work after their time in the top job?

Probably not. They're cockroaches.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Halisnacks posted:

Other than the (very few) CEOs who end up in prison or imploded in the ocean, are there prominent examples of CEOs who couldn’t find work after their time in the top job?

Meg Whitman is an ambassador now and Jeffrey Katzenberg has founded a new media company with the same investment firm that funded Quibi.

It's absolutely impossible for these morons to fail.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

It's just a hobby, Michael. What could it cost? $1,200?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

ben shapino posted:

They probably tried that and found it kept blocking Musk's account

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

explosivo posted:

I know technical literacy is in the toilet but it blows my mind that if email came out now people who have been using computers for decades have gotten so stupid they would apparently think it was too confusing to use

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Just put it all behind a pay wall Elmo and free everyone already.

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1676332199640014848?s=20

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Dogmeat posted:

It's absolutely impossible for these morons to fail.

jack dorsey built a complete piece of poo poo chat site that got overrun by neofascists and is getting sued for trying to cover up a data breach at another company he founded and people are crawling over each other to get a login to his new site

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

gay picnic defence posted:

They probably tried that and found it kept blocking Musk's account

querying to see if grimes has made any new posts every 10 seconds? gotta be a bot, right?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I mean like everyone else I thought the X idea sounded kind of played out and stupid . I couldn't have been more wrong. Having that everything app kicks rear end. There's literally nothing I need to do that the everything app can't handle for me and make an absolute breeze. And I tried batshit requests just to gently caress with it and see what I could do. before I knew it I was working with a team of people to assemble these giant gently caress off magnets. And I'm talking the size of a respectable apartment building here.

It's amazing we were able to accomplish. it became a running joke how good the app was, oh man where are we gonna get 57,000,000 tons of pig iron? Then someone would pop in and say "X, the evetything app"

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I mean like everyone else I thought the X idea sounded kind of played out and stupid . I couldn't have been more wrong. Having that everything app kicks rear end. There's literally nothing I need to do that the everything app can't handle for me and make an absolute breeze. And I tried batshit requests just to gently caress with it and see what I could do. before I knew it I was working with a team of people to assemble these giant gently caress off magnets. And I'm talking the size of a respectable apartment building here.

It's amazing we were able to accomplish. it became a running joke how good the app was, oh man where are we gonna get 57,000,000 tons of pig iron? Then someone would pop in and say "X, the evetything app"

True

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

E the Shaggy posted:

this is just the "moments" feature they killed not long ago, moved to a different place on the UI and now you have to pay to use it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Apparently they had the arbitration thing for former employees and Musk just didn’t send anyone as it was to expensive.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Apparently they had the arbitration thing for former employees and Musk just didn’t send anyone as it was to expensive.

So they found 100% in favour of the employees I presume?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Starting to get stupid ads on youtube on my phone now of stupid Elon making that stupid double thumbs up gesture with his stupid facial expression about stupid tech stuff that he's too stupid to be the face of. Heard some video game companies in Japan and Korea that run twitter integration type stuff are starting to reconsider it and priming their audiences for how to salvage their accounts that are linked by the site should every continue to go tits up. Like no guarantee that stuff might just stop working a few hours from now when Elon gets his next big brained idea from right wing twitter about who is out to get him and his shithole site. I'd be seriously considering redirecting people towards alternative methods for getting PR updates as well. Like I know Japan in particular is super comically dependent on twitter for a lot of stuff and slow as poo poo to adapt on these sorts of things, but now might be the time rather than a decade later when the next batch of old suits that make the worst possible non-decisions dies off.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 4, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

lol

E the Shaggy posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

priznat posted:

So they found 100% in favour of the employees I presume?

Apparently though I don’t know how lawyer fees work if they didn’t actually do anything

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not only did Twitter not show up, they didn’t pay the arbitrator the fee to do the arbitration. Fees would have been $1500 each for almost 900 people in this case or $1.35m total lol

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Twitter is broke, no one is getting money from them.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
all e-lawn had to do with Twitter to not be in this hilariously stupid position was "nothing"

all he had to do was nothing that he has done

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

thathonkey posted:

lol i forgot that Musk was really really really into that vocab word for the first few weeks/months.

I hope Zuckbot names his fists those terms.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hoshi posted:

Not only did Twitter not show up, they didn’t pay the arbitrator the fee to do the arbitration. Fees would have been $1500 each for almost 900 people in this case or $1.35m total lol

This is so weird as Musk at the very least has run a business before.

How is he so bad at this

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

CharlestheHammer posted:

How is he so bad at this

I don't think he's ever run a business before. I think someone was always there to insulate the business from him

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Always make conservatives feel unwelcome and isolated.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

How is he so bad at this

The last time he tried to run a business, his board of directors fired him while he was on holiday because he was so bad at it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

big black turnout posted:

I don't think he's ever run a business before. I think someone was always there to insulate the business from him

He's also very cheap so probably doesn't want to pay the arbitrator anything and hopes that the problem will just go away like it always does

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sankis posted:

Yeah, there's no reason to ever do it even if legally allowed. I just mean to say that I think even aside from that I think she's a true believer in Elon being a business and tech genius

It's really simple: the Rich are all loving nepotism idiots and morons who just have one goal: aquire more money to be better than the other rich. Ebaum has the most money, so he must be doing the most things right, and therefore he is their God in their hiarchy.

Once you realize they are all loving idiots and "Aquiring Money" is their actual cult/ religion it all clicks into place. The more money you have=the more pure and perfect you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol gotta hand it to Jack, he knows how to advertise