Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Someone explain to me why I play the PS5 the least out of it, my Xbox Series S, and my Switch, yet I just had to go buy my third controller since launch. These things keep going down. Meanwhile, I've only been through one Xbox controller, and my launch Pro controller is still pretty much perfect (Joy Cons, on the other hand... woof)

Dualsenses get stick drift a lot. There's not really any other way to explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

unattended spaghetti posted:

There’s two kinds of aspects: found and codex

You get codex aspects by completing dungeons. You get found aspects by just finding them. Codex aspects can exist in the wild with better rolls, because the codex ones roll lowest possible numbers.

Aspects can be imprinted onto rare and up. If you put an aspect on a rare, it adds the power and turns the item into a legendary. If you put it on a legendary it replaces the previous one.

You can also obtain aspects by stripping them off of legendaries and then imprinting them onto another item of your choice. Note that if you do this, you cannot remove that aspect other than imprinting another aspect over top of it. So, some aspects you might want to strip and hang onto until you find a really good piece to put it on.

In terms of what you should do first, clear dungeons, get aspects, try to create a synergy.

Also, it sucks but if you’ve not finished the campaign I recommend going ahead and doing that because it stops scaling to your level after fifty.

Appreciate the info!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Since I got my PS4 slim on 2016 I got two black controllers (that came with it) down, a copper and midnight blue die on me. That's 4 and right now I own a white DS4 that was a direct replacement from one of the originals (for some reason is not developing drift after 5 years?) and a newer black one. I'm also using a Hori Onyx Plus, Hori Fighting Commander and Nacon Compact wired controller so I kind of spread the use between 5 controllers. I still have my two original Xbox360 wireless controllers and wired one from 2007 and 2008. My launch PS3 still has its DS3. I still have a Logitech F310 (wired version of the submarine one) from 2009 and two more third party Xbox360 controllers alive.

DS4 and DualSense durability has been rear end and sure there's the "but I have a DS4 that is 7 years old" but they're overall awful in the stick drift issue. Xbox One/Series controllers aren't free of this and not even the expensive Elite ones so until we get proper hall effect sticks on first party controllers, we're doomed to whatever it takes to the potentiometer to gently caress up.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've never had a ds4 or dualsense die or get stick drift, I think some of you might be biting on them too hard

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

fridge corn posted:

I've never had a ds4 or dualsense die or get stick drift

That’s hard to believe. None of mine died, even the batteries of launch DS4s are fine, but every single one eventually started drifting.

Porstuve
Apr 4, 2015

The DS4s seemed to have been hit or miss. I bought a first gen PS4 in 2018 with the original controller and it had no problems. Later I bought a brand new controller for it and it had stick drift right out of the box :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

None of mine ever did either.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Guillermus posted:

Since I got my PS4 slim on 2016 I got two black controllers (that came with it) down, a copper and midnight blue die on me. That's 4 and right now I own a white DS4 that was a direct replacement from one of the originals (for some reason is not developing drift after 5 years?) and a newer black one. I'm also using a Hori Onyx Plus, Hori Fighting Commander and Nacon Compact wired controller so I kind of spread the use between 5 controllers. I still have my two original Xbox360 wireless controllers and wired one from 2007 and 2008. My launch PS3 still has its DS3. I still have a Logitech F310 (wired version of the submarine one) from 2009 and two more third party Xbox360 controllers alive.

DS4 and DualSense durability has been rear end and sure there's the "but I have a DS4 that is 7 years old" but they're overall awful in the stick drift issue. Xbox One/Series controllers aren't free of this and not even the expensive Elite ones so until we get proper hall effect sticks on first party controllers, we're doomed to whatever it takes to the potentiometer to gently caress up.

DualSense Edge is primo quality

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

man nurse posted:

FF 16 is the best mainline Final Fantasy title since ____

Fill in the blank. For the sake of argument, please omit the MMO titles (11, 14) or the 7 Remake. Talking in terms of pure uncut brand new single player numbered titled.

I choose X.

VIII for me

acksplode posted:

Haven't finished FF16 yet but I feel like FF7R's combat was a more successful blending of character action with traditional FF mechanics. My biggest gripe with 16 is likely to be that combat is too easy to fully exercise its depth, but I get how that's necessary to accommodate people who are there for the FF and not the action. I would've taken a hard mode, but that's budget not spent on Eikon battles. FF7R did a better job of pleasing both camps I think

It's certainly a mix of action game skill checks and build-your-own-difficulty equipment items which overall is an accessibility win, as I got better at the skill checks I started removing items that gave me too much of an advantage. Probably a hard question to answer if you're Square: how much of the potential new audience that you're trying to lure in will be alienated by dying repeatedly, and how much of it will be CAG or Dark Souls veterans? I think a hard mode out of the gate that had a few limits would've been good, but I've still died a number of times even before I started limiting my equipment so I think the difficulty curve is actually all over the place. Sure, I'd like FFXVI to be Sekiro hard, but I also know a lot of people who didn't finish Sekiro, so...

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I love how 16 is like oh remember those over the top crazy looking summon sequences? Well guess what, you’re loving playing those now

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It literally uses the same potentiometers as the DualSense, DS4 and Xbox Series controller, that's why they're selling replacement sticks at 25€ so you don't have to throw a 240€ controller to the bin when it happens. At least that's better than just pray for the Xbox Elite 2 to not die before the warranty expires. And I'm saying this as a selling point of the Edge for me, I rather just slap a new stick for 25 until Gulikit can just sell them.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The only Sony controller that broke on me was the one I threw while playing Dark Souls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

man nurse posted:

I love how 16 is like oh remember those over the top crazy looking summon sequences? Well guess what, you’re loving playing those now

Yeah, it's genuinely impressive how FFXV made summons feel and look like the act of gods and then FFXVI went "Haha, no, that is baby game" and made those acts of god playable.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think I only saw one summon in my entire play through of FFXV

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Guillermus posted:

It literally uses the same potentiometers as the DualSense, DS4 and Xbox Series controller, that's why they're selling replacement sticks at 25€ so you don't have to throw a 240€ controller to the bin when it happens. At least that's better than just pray for the Xbox Elite 2 to not die before the warranty expires. And I'm saying this as a selling point of the Edge for me, I rather just slap a new stick for 25 until Gulikit can just sell them.

Yeah, I know, it's not the ideal fix, but it's enough and the rest of the controller is excellent.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah, I know, it's not the ideal fix, but it's enough and the rest of the controller is excellent.

Oh, for sure. I will get one eventually, I don't care if the battery life isn't great because I play on an office desk and I always have a good wire (magnetic plug) close by to charge my stuff.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fridge corn posted:

I've never had a ds4 or dualsense die or get stick drift, I think some of you might be biting on them too hard

Same, not a single one.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The rubber on one of my near-launch DS4’s sticks finally started to disintegrate just before the PS5 launched and that’s the only problem I’ve ever had in ~20 years of dualshocking

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Oh, for sure. I will get one eventually, I don't care if the battery life isn't great because I play on an office desk and I always have a good wire (magnetic plug) close by to charge my stuff.

Yeah, I keep mine plugged in to a usb port behind the couch most of the time. The cable is nice and quality and it's cool that it locks to the body.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

My dualexpense already has a little stick drift :sigh:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Yeah, I’ve never had any problems with controllers other than the Switch ones.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

veni veni veni posted:

Dualsenses get stick drift a lot. There's not really any other way to explain it.

Yes, except that's not my issue. On my launch controller, the touchpad suddenly became unresponsive and requires massive force to register press or touch. I took it apart to see what the issue was, but couldn't figure it out.

On the replacement, today, the D pad up arrow just gave up the ghost. We were playing Cyberpunk at first, so we figured it was just Cyberpunk doing what it does, but then we realized it was on every game.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 5, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Stop breaking your controllers

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That's bad gamer luck, goon, I hope things pick up soon.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

My launch ps4 sticks got eroded because of my roommates gnarly hands but that’s about it. I think the throw on my launch ps5 L2 is too sensitive. Even resting my finger on it naturally registers as a press. Not a huge problem but it disrupts some games. Like it doesn’t cause constant parries in Elden Ring but it’s near constant presses in FFXIV. so I guess it varies.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Finished Final Fantasy mode. The dungeons with their harder enemy groups were fun, about on par with the normal mode in DMC5. Everything outside the dungeons is unchanged though, even if it’s main quest content. Those encounters get a mild stat bump but not enough to keep up with having all of the abilities unlocked… which means a lot of dull boring combat in between the major set pieces.

Now that it’s finished, I also have access to Ultimaniac mode for all of the dungeons. I only did a couple of them. Combat in those seems on par with the Hard mode in DMC5 and it removes checkpoints. So running through those feels kinda close to a classic DMC experience. Kind of dumb you have to finish the entire game twice to access them all.

There’s no Dante Must Die equivalents here, unfortunately.

I kind of think finishing the game once should just unlock Final Fantasy and Ultimaniac difficulties for all arcade mode stages simultaneously, especially since FF mode doesn’t change anything outside those stages anyway. I’d likely have run through Ultimaniac all the way through right after NG if it had been an option, but since I had to do a second full run I’m a bit over the game now. Kinda feel like just switching over to DMC3 for a while.

Even decent character action games are few and far between enough that I’m glad I played it, but I dunno that I’ll ever revisit when it’s so similar to some of the genre’s true classics while being less well-tuned. I hope Square continues exploring the FF7R combat system in their future titles over this. I think the makeup of their fan base allows them to properly design for that system but not really this one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There is already an all-time character action classic of 2023 and it's getting new DLC tomorrow!!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

fridge corn posted:

Every white dualsense I've owned has failed (2 launch controllers which I exchanged for new units that also failed) with stick drift or a trigger going slack, within about three months. I have two black ones now which I assume are revised in some way and they're absolutely solid. Got them (edit: one was exchange for a busted white one) when they released the new colours so I've had them for ages now.

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 5, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feeling very lucky that my launch Dualsense is still doing fine. Sounds like maybe that’s a rarity

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Guillermus posted:

Still have my original DS4 controllers. Working fine but just poo poo battery life after 8 years. Nonstick drift ever on a single controller

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah apart from some wear and tear on the sticks my ds4 controllers were invincible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

i've had to replace my Joycons and my PS5 and XBX controllers, all due to stick drift, as well as the XBX's B button just deciding to stop working. It's very annoying.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I got an Xbox Elite Controller 2 for my PC a few years back and it crapped out like exactly when the warranty ran out. It was very annoying. The RB just stopped working entirely

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm just thankful Australia mandates exchange for faulty goods because the stories itt from places that just send it for repairs (taking a month) suck poo poo and I feel bad for those territories that don't respect the consumer (the United States of America).

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

There is already an all-time character action classic of 2023 and it's getting new DLC tomorrow!!

Are you talking about Wo Long? That’s much more of a soulslike. Character Action tends to have more of a Tony Hawk angle to its combo systems.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Final fantasy xvi main quest: speak to several of the villagers. 0/2

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

Are you talking about Wo Long? That’s much more of a soulslike. Character Action tends to have more of a Tony Hawk angle to its combo systems.

hi fi rush

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

Final fantasy xvi main quest: speak to several of the villagers. 0/2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

I'm just thankful Australia mandates exchange for faulty goods because the stories itt from places that just send it for repairs (taking a month) suck poo poo and I feel bad for those territories that don't respect the consumer (the United States of America).

This is why people must flagrantly abuse the lax return policies of big box stores and anyone that's above it out of some sense of retail honor/honesty is a masochistic doof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

hi fi rush

Ooooh. If only I has a series.