Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Weka posted:

As I see it, the main danger is not damage to the plant itself but it's electricity supply or cooling facilities. Iirc it's got 16 generators and 10 will do the job but Ukraine could just decide to storm shadow 7 of them.

So even if they bomb the plant directly, that wouldn't necessarily cause a gigantic environmental disaster provided emergency response figures out a way to keep the cores cool? I was thinking it's not like it's a loving exploding barrel, I'm sure they have all kinds of contingencies in place for events like this.

I really hope Chernobyl 2 does not happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
At long last we’ll find out what electric boogaloo means.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

I really hope Chernobyl 2 does not happen

but ukraine doesn't have any other paths to victory. Why don't you want them to win? Is putin paying you?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

can i take the day off tomorrow if the power plant blows up???

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

a.lo posted:

Besides the nazi part this band fn rules

no they suck

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

This is GBS level harebrained conspiracy theorizing. 

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Russians cut their own power supply to show they could cut other power supplies if they wanted to

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
assuming it does get blown up, how does NATO escalate?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

America triggers article 5 and does their level best to browbeat the euros into sending troops to western Ukraine at the meeting

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Freezer posted:

assuming it does get blown up, how does NATO escalate?

like what is the mechanism within nato to escalate or what will nato do that they are not doing now already?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Personally I think the nuclear power plant terrorist attack is such a ridiculous event that there's no point in worrying about it.

If it happens, it happens, and I don't think anyone can predict the consequences until it does happen.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Slavvy posted:

America triggers article 5 and does their level best to browbeat the euros into sending troops to western Ukraine at the meeting

Russia responds with Havana ray guns on dc

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

But what about CSAT's Earthquake Machine??

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Ytlaya posted:

They might try, but that doesn't mean they'll succeed. You aren't giving the plant enough credit. He's strong, and he's managed to last this long. He can handle a few bombs.

:hmmyes:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Endman posted:

But what about CSAT's Earthquake Machine??

What about HAARP???

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Made the mistake of reading the comments r/worldnews. It was kinda funny seeing someone ask what Russia would have to gain from blowing up ZNPP, and the top upvoted comments earnestly replying that, that's the thing, Russians are just so irrational and hate Ukraine so much they'll do it even if it hurts them.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Lostconfused posted:

Personally I think the nuclear power plant terrorist attack is such a ridiculous event that there's no point in worrying about it.

Yeah if NATO wants to invade, they'll invade, they don't need some dumbass Tom Clancy false flag poo poo to justify it. Honestly, I could see them just saying "welp that sucks" and not actually lifting a finger to help Ukraine if the NPP did cook off.

Maybe it could bring an end to the war altogether when no one wants to hang out in the new meltdown zone, I guess.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

sum posted:

Made the mistake of reading the comments r/worldnews. It was kinda funny seeing someone ask what Russia would have to gain from blowing up ZNPP, and the top upvoted comments earnestly replying that, that's the thing, Russians are just so irrational and hate Ukraine so much they'll do it even if it hurts them.

well of course, they already blew up the dam and their own pipeline, they’re just evil for evil’s sake.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
theoretically if they did do it and the media universally declared "Nuh uh, Russia did it" surely the world wouldn't just unquestionably go along with whatever the media said

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

Sick of the loving psychos cheering for this poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

media and the pentagon (same thing) have been somewhat reluctant to follow ukrianes false flag terror attack narratives iirc

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Subvisual Haze posted:

theoretically if they did do it and the media universally declared "Nuh uh, Russia did it" surely the world wouldn't just unquestionably go along with whatever the media said

"the world" (map of usa, canada, uk, europe, australia & nz, japan, south korea) probably would

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sum posted:

jfc

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
As far as I can tell, the US still hasn't officially stated the Russians blew the dam. I don't think NATO getting more involved in the war after an attack on the power plant is a slam dunk. The US wants a place to sell weapons to and a way to degrade Russia's military and economy. They do not want Marines in Bakhmut.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Futanari Damacy posted:

Sick of the loving psychos cheering for this poo poo

Shouldn't you be sicker of the ones who invaded Ukraine in the first place i.e. the Russian military? They can stop this poo poo any time they want, by withdrawing from Ukraine. The culpability is much more on them than on anyone else.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

1stGear posted:

As far as I can tell, the US still hasn't officially stated the Russians blew the dam.

the allowable narratives are that Russia did it or we don’t know. saying Ukraine/the west did it is basically illegal. So it still averages out to a narrative of “Russia did it.” which is also how it was for the pipeline, until the narrative of Russia blowing up their own became unsustainable. (At which point the nytimes floated out an even crazier conspiracy theory they still appear to be going with.)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The_Politics_Man posted:

Communists make the best tanks HTH

bullshit. you ever driven an IS-3? its such a piece of garbage

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

a.lo posted:

Besides the nazi part this band fn rules

lmao

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

They might try, but that doesn't mean they'll succeed. You aren't giving the plant enough credit. He's strong, and he's managed to last this long. He can handle a few bombs.

It was built strong by the Soviet.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

fizzy posted:

Shouldn't you be sicker of the ones who invaded Ukraine in the first place i.e. the Russian military? They can stop this poo poo any time they want, by withdrawing from Ukraine. The culpability is much more on them than on anyone else.

Would Ukraine stop shelling the Donbas republics if Russia pulled back?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

sum posted:

I saw a "it didn't make sense for them to blow up the pipeline either, but they did that anyways"

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

sum posted:

You can see all that right here in the GBS Ukraine thread. Once again there's nothing you can get on reddit that you can't get right here on the good ol SA forums :c00lbutt:

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Nazi band explainer went private

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Can't wait for all the articles with the title "Russia blew up the nuclear power plant as an act of terrorism, here's why it's a good thing for Ukraine!"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

sum posted:

anytime you see russia mentioned, the comments are always like "the russian orc savage needs to take accountability for its actions", you can see any of the articles about wimbledon allowing russian players to play as an example of this lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Best Friends posted:

the allowable narratives are that Russia did it or we don’t know. saying Ukraine/the west did it is basically illegal. So it still averages out to a narrative of “Russia did it.” which is also how it was for the pipeline, until the narrative of Russia blowing up their own became unsustainable. (At which point the nytimes floated out an even crazier conspiracy theory they still appear to be going with.)

Saying Ukraine did it, or anything really, also potentially gets you on a public kill list managed by Ukraine.

Nice place really.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant - Ukraine accuses Russia of having planted suspected explosives on the roof of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant roofs, and Russia accuses Ukraine of planning to drop ammunition laced with nuclear waste transported from another of the country’s five nuclear stations on the plant

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/05/russia-has-planted-suspected-explosives-on-zaporizhzhia-nuclear-plant-roofs-says-zelenskiy

Russia has planted suspected explosives on Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant roofs, says Zelenskiy
Guardian staff and agencies
Wed 5 Jul 2023 01.47 BST

Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy has again warned Russia may be planning to “simulate an attack” the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, claiming that Russian troops have placed “objects resembling explosives” on the roofs of buildings at the site.

Citing Ukrainian intelligence, Zelenskiy said the objects had been positioned on the roof of several power units of the power plant that is currently held by Russia.

Earlier on Tuesday, Zelenskiy briefed the French president, Emmanuel Macron, on Russia’s “dangerous provocations” at the plant in south-eastern Ukraine. He said he and Macron had “agreed keep the situation under maximum control together with the IAEA”, the UN’s nuclear watchdog.

Zelenskiy’s warnings echo comments he made last week at a joint news conference in Kyiv with the Spanish prime minister, Pedro Sánchez. “There is a serious threat because Russia is technically ready to provoke a local explosion at the station, which could lead to a [radiation] release,” Zelenskiy said at the time.

Russian troops seized the station, Europe’s largest nuclear facility, in February 2022. Each side has since regularly accused the other of shelling around the plant and risking a major nuclear mishap.

Russia has separately made its own claims, accusing Ukraine’s military of planning an attack on the plant.

Renat Karchaa, an adviser to the head of Rosenergoatom, which operates Russia’s nuclear network, said Ukraine planned to drop ammunition laced with nuclear waste transported from another of the country’s five nuclear stations on the plant.

“Under cover of darkness overnight on 5 July the Ukrainian military will try to attack the Zaporizhzhia station using long-range precision equipment and kamikaze attack drones,” Russian news agencies quoted Karchaa as telling Russian television. He offered no evidence in support of the allegation.

A statement issued by the Ukrainian armed forces on Tuesday, quoted “operational data” as saying that “explosive devices” had been placed on the roof of the station’s third and fourth reactors and an attack was possible “in the near future”.

“If detonated, they would not damage the reactors but would create an image of shelling from the Ukrainian side,” the statement on Telegram said. It said the Ukrainian army stood “ready to act under any circumstances”.

In his nightly video message, Zelenskiy said Russia was planning to “simulate an attack” on the plant. “But in any case, the world sees – and cannot fail to see – that the only source of danger to the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant is Russia. And no one else.”

Zelenskiy and the Ukrainian military provided no evidence for their assertions.

On Friday Ukraine’s military intelligence directorate (GUR) claimed Moscow had approved a plan to blow up the station and has mined four of the six power units, as well as a cooling pond.

It also said that Russian troops were reducing their presence at the plant and that Ukrainian employees who stayed at the plant and signed contracts with Rosatom had been told to evacuate by Monday, preferably to Crimea.

While the reactors would be difficult to damage, according to former plant workers who spoke to the Guardian, the small cooling pond is vulnerable to an explosion, which could cause partial nuclear meltdown comparable to the 1979 Three Mile Island accident in the US. Oleksiy Kovynyev, a former senior engineer, said that in this scenario, most radiation would be contained, but that if ventilation channels were opened, radiation could be released.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

andrey rublev wrote "no war please" on a camera after a match and by the comments you'd think he personally ordered the invasion of ukraine

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Hopefully no one destroys ZNPP. It’s still contained and standing for now. and while the reporting that workers are being reduced is not a great indicator, it’s also reporting that’s hard to verify.

ZNPP has been tenuous for over a year now. Maybe I’m too optimistic that neither side would go that far to do something so reckless when it’s a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Hopefully no one destroys ZNPP. It’s still contained and standing for now. and while the reporting that workers are being reduced is not a great indicator, it’s also reporting that’s hard to verify.

ZNPP has been tenuous for over a year now. Maybe I’m too optimistic that neither side would go that far to do something so reckless when it’s a bad idea.

revealed yourself at last as a true putin lover. Why else stand between ukraine and victory?