Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I checked out the Pluto TV Godzilla channel (protip it's under movies and not anime+gaming with the other geek stuff) and it's pretty cool. They are currently showing Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 subtitled and in HD. Hopefully that means everything else gets the same treatment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oof. Cancelled my Shin Ultraman blu ray pre-order.

https://twitter.com/_CZQ_133/status/1674226628065476609?s=20

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Return of Ultraman is a favorite of mine, a great 1st episode that goes into a cool mini-arc, they really blow out the first few episodes with monsters and city smashing. Spoilers for how Hideki Go becomes Ultraman: He's a racecar driver/daredevil who runs up like 10 flights of stairs to save a kid during a monster attack, helps the kid release all his pet pigeons from the roof before running away, and then also rescues a tied up dog before the monsters bury him in rubble. He covers the kid and dog with his body, saving them at the expense of his life, so this series' Ultraman revives him for his bravery!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Return of Ultraman is a favorite of mine, a great 1st episode that goes into a cool mini-arc, they really blow out the first few episodes with monsters and city smashing. Spoilers for how Hideki Go becomes Ultraman: He's a racecar driver/daredevil who runs up like 10 flights of stairs to save a kid during a monster attack, helps the kid release all his pet pigeons from the roof before running away, and then also rescues a tied up dog before the monsters bury him in rubble. He covers the kid and dog with his body, saving them at the expense of his life, so this series' Ultraman revives him for his bravery!

I have that very poster up in my place :)

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
very nice!

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

robot roll call posted:

I checked out the Pluto TV Godzilla channel (protip it's under movies and not anime+gaming with the other geek stuff) and it's pretty cool. They are currently showing Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 subtitled and in HD. Hopefully that means everything else gets the same treatment

I’m gutted this isn’t on UK Pluto tv, I had a look at the American Pluto via VPN on my laptop and it’s leagues better than what we get, at least I can still enjoy Catfish as background noice but I wanted Godzilla

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I love it. It's been my background noise since Saturday

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

4K Dorkin

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

ok well Godzilla 2000 is on the Pluto channel now and it's dubbed, looks like they use the dub if they have one? I dunno, guess we'll see when they do some Showa flicks

on that note I saw Mothra Rebirth 2 and 3 the other day and those were...movies. a lot of very poorly composited tiny women flying around, clearly more kid oriented than the typical kaiju stuff. very cool that they were airing at all though!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This got posted in the Toku thread but needs to be here as well

https://twitter.com/biorante_blog/status/1676972684045869056?s=20

If all goes well I'll be in Japan at the end of November for Tsubucon so I plan to go see this in the theater while I'm there :c00l:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Oh man I hadn’t realized it was actually coming out this year

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh man I hadn’t realized it was actually coming out this year

Originally they stated it was going to be an October 2023 release so being that it's coming in November means I'll have a good chance to go see it in the Toho Theater in the Ginza.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygwtF5qDxHA

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

robot roll call posted:

ok well Godzilla 2000 is on the Pluto channel now and it's dubbed, looks like they use the dub if they have one? I dunno, guess we'll see when they do some Showa flicks

on that note I saw Mothra Rebirth 2 and 3 the other day and those were...movies. a lot of very poorly composited tiny women flying around, clearly more kid oriented than the typical kaiju stuff. very cool that they were airing at all though!

I saw Hedorah, Gigan, and Mechagodzilla 74 the day and they were all subbed. They all started with Criterion Janus logo at the beginning so I figure any of the films from the Criterion showa box are going to be on here subbed.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The only ones I've seen so far that were dubbed are 2000 and Against Mechagodzilla

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe they only have the Millennium films dubbed?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
As far as I'm aware 2000 has never been officially released in the US in anything but the English dub

Violator
May 15, 2003

Well that went in unexpected directions.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

As far as I'm aware 2000 has never been officially released in the US in anything but the English dub

The Blu Ray has the subtitled and uncut version.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

From what I know the American recut of 2000 is generally seen as superior

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mantis42 posted:

From what I know the American recut of 2000 is generally seen as superior

It is. I watched the Japanese cut of 2000 a year or two ago and the pacing and sound design are weirdly off. American version tightened both of those up quite a bit.

I prefer the dubbed version of Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster for similar reasons, but the differences are a lot less noticeable there.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

crosspost from BSS but I got the Super 7 Ultimates '89 Godzilla and I think it's pretty cool:

robot roll call posted:

I got Super 7 Ultimates Godzilla and I thought that would be of interest to some of you:

I love him. He is enormous, beefy, heavy and about as poseable as you'd think (not very), although the tail, neck and arms are pretty decent. The jaw is not articulated but it comes with a roaring head that also looks great. He also comes with a few hand options and the vines Biollante wraps around his neck. I've never owned a Monsterarts so I don't know how it stacks up but the NECA 60s Godzilla vs Kong Godzilla I have goes up to his shoulder and has fairly similar articulation. Godzilla vs Biollante is my favorite big G design and this captures it perfectly.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What is BSS?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The comic book subforum

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

MrMojok posted:

What is BSS?

He won't say

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Biollante Super Sentai

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

kind of crazy we're getting Godzilla Minus One and Godzilla x Kong, two movies within a five month span of time. a first for the franchise probably

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

kind of crazy we're getting Godzilla Minus One and Godzilla x Kong, two movies within a five month span of time. a first for the franchise probably

Depends on how you count the animes. Part 3 came out within a few months of KOTM, IIRC.

Also, huge news re: US release if this turns out to be true

https://twitter.com/GormaruIsland/status/1678818812601200641?t=iNfctf9PO7QDYqe2Q8Su3w&s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh poo poo, that guy directed Lupin III The First, which was fantastic.

And he also directed The Returner. Which is a movie I have seen.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The silhouette looks like G'14 ....

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Speaking of Godzilla x Kong, what are the popular theories on who the big bad will be? I'm not enough of a Zilla expert to list which options might be left, but I know they've already used up Rodan, Mothra, Ghidora, and MechaGodzilla, so what does that leave still on the board?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Basebf555 posted:

Speaking of Godzilla x Kong, what are the popular theories on who the big bad will be? I'm not enough of a Zilla expert to list which options might be left, but I know they've already used up Rodan, Mothra, Ghidora, and MechaGodzilla, so what does that leave still on the board?

We saw what looked like an evil Orangutan in the first trailer, have they dropped anything since

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm planning a trip to Tokyo in late November so I definitely am gonna see it in the theater.

Since nobody posted it here
Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlceGpbGgvE

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 11, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

End of the teaser says in Theaters on December 1st- America is getting it as well! Hopefully not just a limited run for one day thing like Shin.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

That is a pissed off looking Godzilla.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel like Japanese Godzilla always sounds better because they keep some of the original Godzilla roar sounds in there where as the American versions always are just a variation on the Spielberg T-Rex roar.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh, wow. I knew there was a new film coming from Toho Studios but I’d heard nothing at all about it.

They are going all the way back to like 1946 for this one.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Looks a lot like the Heisei Godzilla and that's a super positive for me!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, he kind of does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That Godzilla is angry as hell