Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I guess it was Father's Day in the US the other day, I ain't got a reason to notice that, but I find it funny that I read Absalom, Absalom! during it; depicting of course possibly the greatest father fictional or otherwise. Gotta say, Faulkner has me in awe with his prose as much as he has me utterly confounded at what it means, and many times in the same section of text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I finished Disgrace on Father's Day, apparently :D I forget where this thread stands on Coetzee (I added him to my reading list a couple years ago based on the name being mentioned here) but this and Waiting for the Barbarians are my jam. Neat and spare sentences that one publication called "coiled springs", which I agree with, and of course the blend of darkness and beauty

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Jrbg posted:

I'm rarely one to recommend reading twitter threads but this is an interesting one on publishing's constraints on literary style from helen dewitt https://twitter.com/helendewitt/status/1670041048460980225?s=20

Genuinely depressing sometimes how much the publishing industry despises literature.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well they're only Anglophone authors so who cares, really.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well they're only Anglophone authors so who cares, really.

anglophone readers re: non-anglophone authors: "idk the source language but this stilted translation sucks"

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

buddy i'm reading a japanese mystery novel in english where one of the lines was "'how long has it been since we've seen each other sensei?' she asked in a distant tone, using the term of respectful address for teachers and masters of any art." you can absolutely say a translation is stilted while not being fluent in the original language

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

CestMoi posted:

i'm reading a japanese mystery novel

there's your issue buddy

on a more serious note, your quote seems to me an example of another symptom of the same phenomenon: anglophone publishers tend to baby readers. one example of this is the smoothing out of stylistic friction (see: DeWitt; also happens a lot in translated literature, because god forbid anything reads "stilted" intentionally. and that was my point: editorial disdain for literary style is at least in part a result of readers' intolerance for stylistic inaccessibility). some other examples in translation are editorial omissions of unsavory content and, funnily enough, clumsy inserts to demystify couleur locale (which i would guess is what's happening in the book you're reading)

e: to be clear, my point was not that you can't say a translated text is stilted because you don't know the source language. my point was that I believe anglophone readers often unjustly call a stilted translated text a bad translation, which I would guess is one of many reasons why editorial interference is so prevalent in the anglophone publishing world

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 27, 2023

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Lex Neville posted:

e: to be clear, my point was not that you can't say a translated text is stilted because you don't know the source language. my point was that I believe anglophone readers often unjustly call a stilted translated text a bad translation, which I would guess is one of many reasons why editorial interference is so prevalent in the anglophone publishing world

Eh, I don't think it's unfair to criticise translations whose painstaking attempts at reproducing the stylistic nuances of a text ultimately betray its overall effect, which is often what "stilted" corresponds to for the readership in my experience. I don't work in English-language publishing but most of the bad translation jobs I've seen in my language were just the natural byproduct of the difficulty of the compromise between syntactical/lexical faithfulness and the necessity of adapting to a different linguistic structure & cultural context so that a similar aesthetic, emotional, etc. experience to the original could be achieved (rather than a deliberate attempt to smooth out the strangeness or foreignness of the work).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CestMoi posted:

buddy i'm reading a japanese mystery novel in english where one of the lines was "'how long has it been since we've seen each other sensei?' she asked in a distant tone, using the term of respectful address for teachers and masters of any art." you can absolutely say a translation is stilted while not being fluent in the original language

Obviously all English translations are poo poo because English is poo poo.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

DeWitt was talking a lot more about punctuation than syntax in that thread

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
not really, but even if she was that doesn't rule out interference in other areas

lost in postation posted:

Eh, I don't think it's unfair to criticise translations whose painstaking attempts at reproducing the stylistic nuances of a text ultimately betray its overall effect, which is often what "stilted" corresponds to for the readership in my experience.

I don't think that's unfair either, as long as you're able substantiate such a diagnosis

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 28, 2023

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

finished the gospel according to jesus by saramago, and his knowledge of the bible was p impressive, though I guess I already knew that from when I read cain some years ago

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Obviously all English translations are poo poo because English is poo poo.

And yet you're using English to post. Curious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Idiootti posted:

And yet you're using English to post. Curious.

I also use poo poo to poo poo.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

as someone who's first language isn't english, english is great. you have no idea how good you have it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Don't forget to vote for your favorite McCarthy for July BotM! Poll is stickied.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I just finished Han Kang's Human Acts and it is one of the best books I have ever read. She unflinchingly shows the horror of the Gwangju massacre and the Korean dictatorship and makes the beautiful decision to use the second person, setting you as the reader among the killed.

She follows the trauma across years and generations and shows heroism and normal life and so much pain.

It's unflinching, it's beautiful, it will absolutely break your heart. A staggering achievement.

The Vegetarian was middling but my god what a follow-up book. This will be the best book I read this year I bet.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Crespolini posted:

as someone who's first language isn't english, english is great. you have no idea how good you have it.

lol i see youre unfamiliar with jerry

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Crespolini posted:

I agree big fan of English here

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Reading Tokarczuk’s Books of Jacob. It’s real good.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

I enjoyed Termush by Sven Holm, which is a 1969 novella about a resort for rich people who want to survive nuclear armageddon in luxury. Very bleak, gave me a real sense of creeping dread, would recommend if you're into that sort of thing

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Volcano posted:

I enjoyed Termush by Sven Holm, which is a 1969 novella about a resort for rich people who want to survive nuclear armageddon in luxury. Very bleak, gave me a real sense of creeping dread, would recommend if you're into that sort of thing

That sounds not so far away from Miguel de Palol’s The Garden of Seven Twilights

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That reminds me of another Dane, Peter Ronild, whose I morgen kommer paddehatteskyen (tomorrow comes the mushroom cloud) I remember liking.

Don't think it's been translated tho

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Ooh nice, I haven't heard of either of those. I'll have to look for them.

When I was buying it, the bookshop staff also convinced me to pick up Marlen Haushofer's The Wall, which does sounds like it'll have a similar existential end of the world vibe. I also bought Human Acts thanks to Segue's post so really it'll be cheerful stuff all round, thanks lit thread

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Read Termush last night, very chilling indeed. Especially being relatively privileged before looming climate change :ohdear:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I killed a moth with King Lear last night.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i’m reading compass by mathias enard, it had some really funny moments, especially when the narrator goes on a tirade against richard wagner

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ulvir posted:

i’m reading compass by mathias enard, it had some really funny moments, especially when the narrator goes on a tirade against richard wagner

I've got that one on my shelf, maybe I'll promote it to the backup reading pile (not the primary reading pile)

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Been reading john ruskin, that reactionary paedophile knew how to write!

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Jrbg posted:

that reactionary paedophile knew how to write!

Half of this thread's content summarised

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jrbg posted:

Half of this thread's content summarised

:hmmyes:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Quit Being a loving Child and Read Some Real Literature: “that reactionary paedophile knew how to write!”

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Did we ever find out who was occasionally changing this thread's title to "Quit loving a child"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It was probably a child

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ulvir posted:

that one is good but zone is better

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I just finished The Bell Jar, which I have mixed feelings toward, and now I’m starting Moby-Dick. I hope it’s gay and adventurous.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

It's the gayest adventure ever put to the page. Enjoy!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Moby-Dick is a ton of fun. I am due for a reread

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rereading is easy mode because you can skim over some of the whaling material you've read five times already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

But why would you??