Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

sebmojo posted:

picasa owned (and still works, even though it's not supported). Everything by voidtools is a fantastic search engine.

in line with the thread, my old ipod touch is from like 2011 and is still razor fast and zippy, where every other ios thing just gets slower and shittier by the year.

I paid like $150 last year to get my 2008 OG iPod classic repaired, and I'd do it again. gently caress planned obsolescence, bloatware, and mandatory online. gently caress not owning poo poo you pay for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Dog poo doesn't turn completely white when dry anymore

Surprised I didn't find any vaporwave nostalgia art about this

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
saw some white dog poo the other day. maybe really cheap kibble still has way too much calcium or bone meal or whatever

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I've spent 30+ years of my life explaining technology to parents, grandparents, aunts, parents of friends and so on. Hooking up TVs, video game consoles, VCRs, fixing computers, installing Windows, getting them online, fixing the wifi.

Previously they would ask me how to do a thing or why a thing works a certain way, and I have always been able to explain stuff as you just do the things in the right order, and they will work.

These days when they ask me why stuff is so complicated, I have to answer "Because it's poo poo"
"What do you mean it's poo poo?"
"I mean that it's made poo poo on purpose"
"Why would anyone make something poo poo on purpose?"

And I have to try to not sound like a conspiracy theorist explaining capitalist gigatechcorporations and enshittification. It usually ends with "no, that can't be right, you just don't know how it works"

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
There are tons of car models now where you cannot start the car without the music/radio blasting or deciding to turn on after a minute or so. They finally added the option in Subarus to turn it off "for good" but it doesn't work right for my in laws 2018. My Ford does the same but some googling says it may be a fuse? Just a few minutes into the ride decides silence isn't an option & flips to FM.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
is it just me or did youtube stop filling out suggestions in the search bar in the last 24 hours? i used to be able to search for some poorly typed, poorly spelled poo poo and the suggestions would get me to where i wanted to go. now i get nothing. dead silence.

edit: it was just me

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 5, 2023

Rex Meteorite
Apr 19, 2003
There was an update to the Roku remote app a few months ago that makes my iPhone hotter than 1000 suns if I leave the app open and screen on.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My iphone is only a little attractive but it's an older model. It more than makes up for it with experience

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Have you seen the size of the bezel on those things :heysexy:

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

My work made me use some crappy customer service program to talk to clients. Its text input is coded in some convoluted way that my browser's spellcheck doesn't recognise it as a text input and won't flag my terrible spelling.

Also it uses text hot keys for everything, which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't also keep the cursor flashing so you think it's in focus until suddenly you've unfurled a bunch of drop downs instead of writing a sentence.

I have to write all my replies into a Google doc and copy/paste it into the text box.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

A true incel uses Android :tipshat: apple is for the crows!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Further Reading posted:

My work made me use some crappy customer service program to talk to clients. Its text input is coded in some convoluted way that my browser's spellcheck doesn't recognise it as a text input and won't flag my terrible spelling.

Also it uses text hot keys for everything, which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't also keep the cursor flashing so you think it's in focus until suddenly you've unfurled a bunch of drop downs instead of writing a sentence.

I have to write all my replies into a Google doc and copy/paste it into the text box.

have you considered just doing a lovely job and blaming the computer

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Denim Dude posted:

is it just me or did youtube stop filling out suggestions in the search bar in the last 24 hours? i used to be able to search for some poorly typed, poorly spelled poo poo and the suggestions would get me to where i wanted to go. now i get nothing. dead silence.

edit: it was just me

No, but the quality of the search is getting worse literally by the day

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

bus hustler posted:

There are tons of car models now where you cannot start the car without the music/radio blasting or deciding to turn on after a minute or so. They finally added the option in Subarus to turn it off "for good" but it doesn't work right for my in laws 2018. My Ford does the same but some googling says it may be a fuse? Just a few minutes into the ride decides silence isn't an option & flips to FM.

gently caress yeah, also making all of those controls software driven. I can't turn down the radio BEFORE it blasts my eardrums because that is now a software function.

Partyworm
Jul 8, 2004

Tired of partying
*boots OS*

A software update is available. Would you like to install it?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

RE: google getting shittier and shittier, I find that when it does acknowledge your operands and filter your search results that after the first 5-10 results all of the rest are just spam sites that are pulling content from other sites to move up the rankings and try to give people spyware

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look if we would just download all the spyware they want us to they would stop having to jank up the search results like this.

Really this is all on us.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Everyone knows that the search built into Windows sucks, but for the past couple of months it's been "they have to be loving this up on purpose to screw with people" bad. No matter what I search for it only ever finds completely unrelated files, even if I search for a character exact file name. Oh, you can't remember where you left that floppy image you know for certain is named "Microsoft Golf 2.0.img"? Okay fucko, have a Witchfinder General album and a 19 year old WinRAR installer! Totally random poo poo every time I try.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I like that Google maps no longer considers a business's phone number relevant information and helpfully hides it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Fools Infinite posted:

I like that Google maps no longer considers a business's phone number relevant information and helpfully hides it.

Googling a phone number and it gives me the math result

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dip Viscous posted:

Everyone knows that the search built into Windows sucks, but for the past couple of months it's been "they have to be loving this up on purpose to screw with people" bad. No matter what I search for it only ever finds completely unrelated files, even if I search for a character exact file name. Oh, you can't remember where you left that floppy image you know for certain is named "Microsoft Golf 2.0.img"? Okay fucko, have a Witchfinder General album and a 19 year old WinRAR installer! Totally random poo poo every time I try.

It wants to show me everything but the sound options panel when I search “sound”. Bing results instead of system options lol

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Saalkin's posts get worse every time I read a new onr

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Smugworth posted:

Saalkin's posts get worse every time I read a new onr

:mad:

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

these angus hot dogs used to take 47 seconds to perfectly microwave 2 of them, now it only takes 43 seconds. I don't think my microwave got better, therefore they must be skinnier dogs.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Dip Viscous posted:

This has also been a problem with Windows Server since at least 2012. Searching for system tools like certificate manager requires "cert", wait a second, "i". I feel like I could reliably type some of a program name or system tool into Windows 7's Start menu and hit Enter without waiting to launch it easily. Guessing it went to crap with Windows 8's rehaul.

Man, remember when they thought it was a good idea to make the Start menu full screen?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

windows 8 existing is funny

the other well known bazoopers like vista and me were just lovely versions of windows but more or less the same thing so i'm sure some amount of people used them and didn't mind them too much

did anyone on earth like windows 8?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

pencilhands posted:

windows 8 existing is funny

the other well known bazoopers like vista and me were just lovely versions of windows but more or less the same thing so i'm sure some amount of people used them and didn't mind them too much

did anyone on earth like windows 8?

Let's make our flagship product's UI around a technology the vast majority of the install base doesn't loving have (and even in 2023, largely still doesn't).

I am a Microsoft executive, give me all the money.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I forgot Windows 8 had existed and rewrote my memory so that the jump was from 7 to 10

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I can't remember -- did they... "skip" Windows 9?

Maybe people would confuse it with Windows 95 / 98?

edit: and why did they go with Windows 10 and not something cool like Windows X?

credburn fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 6, 2023

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

13Pandora13 posted:

I paid like $150 last year to get my 2008 OG iPod classic repaired, and I'd do it again. gently caress planned obsolescence, bloatware, and mandatory online. gently caress not owning poo poo you pay for.
All I want is a waterproof iPod-shuffle sized square mp3 player that can clip onto your shirt and is light enough not to obnoxiously bounce around when running. Apparently this technology was lost 10 years ago, and music is only possible through shittier products that are huge and clunky or constantly corroding. I have been buying the same post-market water proofed shuffle every 3-4 years for the past 15 years and goddamn they are getting expensive and hard to find.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 6, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

credburn posted:

That's one theory, but apparently no one really knows as far as I can tell:

https://www.techworm.net/2022/08/what-happened-windows-9-skipped.html

Officially it's cos 10 sounded cooler.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

credburn posted:

edit: and why did they go with Windows 10 and not something cool like Windows X?

It was something to do with Windows9x internally identifying itself as "win9" to other programs but I forget exactly how it didn't work.

Edit: the compatibility issue shown in the link above sounds more accurate than what I'm remembering.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 6, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

All I want is a waterproof iPod-shuffle sized square mp3 player that can clip onto your shirt and is light enough not to obnoxiously bounce around when running. Apparently this technology was lost 10 years ago, and music is only possible through shittier products that are huge and clunky or constantly corroding. I have been buying the same post-market water proofed shuffle every 3-4 years for the past 15 years and goddamn they are getting expensive and hard to find.

In addition, it really irks me how phones have no standardization in shape anymore. They are all different screen sizes, meaning every sporting goods store has 500 types of arm bands. Did your phone come out later than 6 months ago? Bad news, your arm band is not being made anymore and will never be again and they didn't make reserves.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Dip Viscous posted:

Yeah I noticed this with the start menu recently, trying to get Notepad++. On one day, "no" and "not" will give me notepad.exe, "note" will do Notepad++. The next day, "no" and "note" give Notepad++, "not" still does notepad.exe. The next day, all three give notepad.exe. It seems like it's completely random and changes day to day and I hate it.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I worked Office 365 support for a year and I have no loving clue how OneDrive works, or SharePoint, or Outlook. I was lied to and thought i'd get to do more advanced/career stuff like Azure and Exchange but i would have to do 101 level stuff too and even simple poo poo is obnoxious and dizzying. And their four-letter (Dice? Meal? Bank? I can't even remember, my brain deleted it as a defense mechanism) backend billing/licensing app is another MC Escher staircase of multidimensional pain. I hate ms soooo fuking much.

One Microsoft Way.

FUC YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Anybody have that meltdown rant post about enterprise printers?
The "Please insert paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3. Please insert paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3. Please insert paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3" one or whatever.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I had to help my mom out with her Nook recently. It used to be that she could purchase a new book directly on the Nook within the reading app.

Now, they make it so you have to go to the Nook's web browser and then go to Barnes and Noble's website, then navigate to the book section, purchase the book, go back to the reader app and then redeem your purchase.

And she kept asking me why they changed it when it used to be so easy and I had to explain to her that this new way lets them shove more ads in your face. When you go to their website, they advertise books you didn't even know about! And when it's Christmas time they'll advertise all the kids toys they sell, and since you're a grandma now maybe you'll buy some toys through B&N!

And I think the conversation just wasn't getting through to her on a fundamental level, but that really is the reason why they do that crap.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
It nearly impossible to get an actual discount now.

Want to buy online?
Belong to a certain Gym get a discount
Buy a set amount get a discount
Your birthday get a discount
Just google “store name + discount code”

I spend more time finding and comparing the best discount available at that moment than deciding what I want to buy. You’d have to be clinically insane to just click buy now.

My last purchase: $150 + $50 item + $10 postage.

After a few hours of discount hunting and calculations.

$150 item for $128
$50 for $43
Free $50:item
Free $20 credit
Free postage.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Stealth Tiger posted:

I had to help my mom out with her Nook recently. It used to be that she could purchase a new book directly on the Nook within the reading app.

Now, they make it so you have to go to the Nook's web browser and then go to Barnes and Noble's website, then navigate to the book section, purchase the book, go back to the reader app and then redeem your purchase.

And she kept asking me why they changed it when it used to be so easy and I had to explain to her that this new way lets them shove more ads in your face. When you go to their website, they advertise books you didn't even know about! And when it's Christmas time they'll advertise all the kids toys they sell, and since you're a grandma now maybe you'll buy some toys through B&N!

And I think the conversation just wasn't getting through to her on a fundamental level, but that really is the reason why they do that crap.

Amazon does this on the Kindle they told.me it had something to do with unfair practices if I could buy a book through the phone app? I now have to buy it from the website. Been that way a few months and it's real weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Adobe Reader has always been terrible but its a specific kind of terrible now. The only reason I use it over a chrome window is because it had the signature button right there to click and drag. now that is buried 2-3 clicks in one of their horrible side pane things you can no longer turn off.

Instagram removing the option that lets you open links in your default browser instead of the built in one so they can hoover up more of your data (now i just screenshot the ad and find the company in an incognito window on my PC instead)