Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

The secret to playing with little kids is to do the dumbest stuff you can think of and die in the most hilarious ways and make big deals out of it. If they're good, sure, give them a bit of skill, but spending more time blowing yourself up with grenades to get a giggle is the best part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Just the title for this one

quote:

me (23f) and my bf (24m) measured his penis. i wanted to do it bc i think it’s hot. he told me a while ago it was 6.5 but it measured at 5.5. he’s mad at me/sad for some reason.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The Glumslinger posted:

Just the title for this one

Lmao

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Mushmouth posted:

The secret to playing with little kids is to do the dumbest stuff you can think of and die in the most hilarious ways and make big deals out of it. If they're good, sure, give them a bit of skill, but spending more time blowing yourself up with grenades to get a giggle is the best part.

One of my students went through a stretch where he was really into Tic-Tac-Toe, and I would intentionally throw every other game so he wouldn't get discouraged. Have you ever tried to throw a game of Tic-Tac-Toe only for your opponent to make a move that forces you to win anyway? It is an experience.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Back in uni one of the guys I sometimes hung out with brought in an old N64 they had. Well, I had spent a big portion of my childhood playing SSB so I handily trounced the people I played with, so they switched to Mario Kart which I had no experience with. After playing for a couple hours and getting last place literally every single time I left them to it, lol.

To be honest I feel like bowing out because I wasn't really having the most fun losing over and over was more mature than freaking out about it or whatever. I think it's ok to admit you're not good at something and choose to do something else.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Clocks posted:

I think it's ok to admit you're not good at something and choose to do something else.

If this is a ploy to make me stop posting, I can tell you right now that it's never gonna work

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bright Bart posted:

One more thing about the loved v. unloved nieces.

Turkey is extremely beautiful I'm sure. But which Gen Zalpha little girl's dream vacation is to Turkey of all places?

It *has* to be that YA book The Song of Achilles. Which reminds me of the story where OP's partner was debating with academics and Redddit or goons deduced was the basis of her argument.

Possibly, though frankly it's just a hella interesting part of the world. History, architecture, wanting an excuse to make Istanbul, Not Constantinople jokes...

Baronjutter posted:

We get so many of the "20 years ago when I was 7 years old I had a crush on this boy and sent him a valentine day's card, he never wrote me back and I'm crushed. Today I found out my brother is getting married to him! I can't believe he'd betray me like this!!!" poo poo. Like they were never even an official couple and the other sibling didn't even know they had any history with them. And then you have the opposite where the sibling is the direct cause your marriage/relationship fell apart because they were cheating with them, and then demand to let bygones by bygones.

More romcom poisoning, or adjacent. Though the whole 'crush I had on someone I knew for half a day and may or may not have realised I exist when we were in primary school becomes the defining aspect of my entire life' thing is made fun of even by anime these days, usually.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've ruined two games for friends of mine.

Back in the dorms, this one girl was deeply into hockey. We both had a great time watching her team almost pull off a miracle comeback in the Stanley Cup. She did not have a great time when she turned on her N64 with NHL1994 loaded up. Something about the passing mechanics just clicked for me and I skunked her 6-1 in the only time she ever acknowledged that game's existence in my presence. I felt bad for her and did apologize, but... 6-1 my first game, I don't know what to tell ya.

Years later, I got a 360. A buddy of mine insisted I get Fight Night 3 so we could do video game boxing. The first time the disc went in, KO in two rounds. At least he hadn't been trash-talking me. Haven't played it since, and he certainly never brought the game up again.

I've also made a lot of SF2 fans super mad. When it came out, I was working at a Software Etc. Both of the managers were fanatics, and they encouraged the staff to play and helped us git gud. I'm still mildly proud that I could win the occasional round against their Ken and Ryu; not match, round. They also encouraged us to accept challenges from customers if it was slow. I didn't really have a favorite character at first, but I learned very quickly that a lot of players would get amazingly salty if they lost to Chun Li and only Chun Li. This has proved a rich source of enjoyment ever since.

And that's why I main Chun Li in SF2.

And the lesson here is, if someone is instantly better at something you thought you were good at, ask them what they saw that you hadn't.

Also, git gud.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
To rant, Twin Cities residents gotta get used to new people coming here not for work/family purposes.

quote:

I've lived here for about 5 months now. It's near formulaic of what is asked:

"So, did you come here for work? You got family here?"

It's a very awkward set of answers when you tell someone no, as then you're basically having to kiss the air of MN and without getting into political/social issues, dance around why you left your previous home for MN.

Accept that there are incoming residents who WANTED to live here. I used to live in a city that was becoming an Austin/Nashville type of place, full of transient residents. It was lovely as why did someone move there? THEY WANTED TO.

People are moving up here, just like me. Why? We want to. We also may have other motivations, but no, it's not for work, and it's not because we got family. Accept it. Next time you meet a new person and they announce they're not from MN bypass those two low hanging fruit questions and just dive into conversation; winter, summer, sports, nature, food, stereotypes, etc. Accept that you're in likely a good place :).

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Mushmouth posted:

I wish my dad had figured out how to do that, instead of literally trying to cheat against me and my sister at board games and then getting angry when my mom got pissed at him for it and told him to stop. When I was 5 years old.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hypercompetitive people can be otherwise pleasant in regular life but insufferable with any kind of competitive activity. And then you got the kind of people who see literally any encounter as a confrontation to be 'won'.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

MisterOblivious posted:

To rant, Twin Cities residents gotta get used to new people coming here not for work/family purposes.

someone needs to check the backyard of where OP moved from bc, there's definitely bodies there

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hypercompetitive people can be otherwise pleasant in regular life but insufferable with any kind of competitive activity. And then you got the kind of people who see literally any encounter as a confrontation to be 'won'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7MBoi2m31w

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

mllaneza posted:

I've ruined two games for friends of mine.

Back in the dorms, this one girl was deeply into hockey. We both had a great time watching her team almost pull off a miracle comeback in the Stanley Cup. She did not have a great time when she turned on her N64 with NHL1994 loaded up. Something about the passing mechanics just clicked for me and I skunked her 6-1 in the only time she ever acknowledged that game's existence in my presence. I felt bad for her and did apologize, but... 6-1 my first game, I don't know what to tell ya.

Years later, I got a 360. A buddy of mine insisted I get Fight Night 3 so we could do video game boxing. The first time the disc went in, KO in two rounds. At least he hadn't been trash-talking me. Haven't played it since, and he certainly never brought the game up again.

I've also made a lot of SF2 fans super mad. When it came out, I was working at a Software Etc. Both of the managers were fanatics, and they encouraged the staff to play and helped us git gud. I'm still mildly proud that I could win the occasional round against their Ken and Ryu; not match, round. They also encouraged us to accept challenges from customers if it was slow. I didn't really have a favorite character at first, but I learned very quickly that a lot of players would get amazingly salty if they lost to Chun Li and only Chun Li. This has proved a rich source of enjoyment ever since.

And that's why I main Chun Li in SF2.

And the lesson here is, if someone is instantly better at something you thought you were good at, ask them what they saw that you hadn't.

Also, git gud.

Chun Li got the moves though.

Edit: I’m bad at console gaming and Chun Ali is like the easiest character for me to do OK with.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

MisterOblivious posted:

This may be a massive leap but I'm getting a sense this is a new resident worried that the "why did you move here?" questions are a thinly-veiled "didja move here to escape an anti-queer/anti-trans/anti-abortion place" since MN is one of the few Midwestern/upper-Midwest states that aren't incredibly bad?

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 5, 2023

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

therobit posted:

Chun Li got the moves though.

Edit: I’m bad at console gaming and Chun Ali is like the easiest character for me to do OK with.

"Psst.Hey you. Do you want some Street Fighter 6 Modern Controls?"

*Opens Gi*

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

This may be a massive leap but I'm getting a sense this is a new resident worried that the "why did you move here?" questions are a thinly-veiled "didja move here to escape an anti-queer/anti-trans/anti-abortion place" since MN is one of the few Midwestern/upper-Midwest states that aren't incredibly bad?

Well, it's a quick way to find out if someone has Terrible Opinions or not, so as opening conversational gambits go that's a pretty good one.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

My husband and I used to clash over gaming because by the time I'd get comfortable with the mechanics of a new board game, he was completely destroying me every time we played. It's not fun to just get crushed over and over, so I'd slowly stop agreeing to play that latest game.

I thought he was being a hypercompetitive weirdo, and he thought I was a bad sport. But it took us a long time to realize what was behind all that. I like to learn the basics and work out the advanced stuff on my own through experience, and he likes to do a deep dive right away and read a bunch of strategies online. If we can stick with a game long enough, I usually end up at a similar skill level, but when he'd spend hours reading board game forums and making loving spreadsheets for something we only did the two player version of, it felt kinda personal. Of course it wasn't, it's just that he gets excited to figure all that out. But as someone who needs more time to wrap my head around a set of rules, his approach can feel like it interferes with mine.

These days we tend to stick with either co-op games or the ones where you're working on your own separate board. I still get outpaced at that second kind, but I don't mind losing when the structure of the game lets me do my own thing.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RkapfBYIfc

You gon learn tadayyy

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA For asking a family to watch my kid

quote:

Took my 4 year old out for the fourth to a city event where there were activities, food, beer, and fireworks at the end of the night. We lined up for a bungee thing and it was taking awhile. My kid starts playing with another 4 year old in line. The other 4 year old was with her mom and dad. I saw a beer stand near me and ask if they can watch my daughter in line so we don’t lose our place. The dad tells me “you don’t want to leave your kid with me” and stuff along the lines of you should take your kid with you. In my mind why couldn’t they just help me out, do people not have common courtesy anymore?

Well the beer stand wasn’t far so I tell my 4 year old to wait here and if anyone tries anything to run to me. We are both in seeing distance of eachother. I watch her the whole time while getting beer and she is watching me. I get back in line with my kid and muttered something about no morals or courtesy. Anyway the line was long and the family decides to leave. We eventually left too because the line was long. AITA for asking another family to watch my kid while I could see my kid too?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Daddys gotta get that alcohol in him sweetie, just wait right here for a bit

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

deety posted:

My husband and I used to clash over gaming because by the time I'd get comfortable with the mechanics of a new board game, he was completely destroying me every time we played. It's not fun to just get crushed over and over, so I'd slowly stop agreeing to play that latest game.

I thought he was being a hypercompetitive weirdo, and he thought I was a bad sport. But it took us a long time to realize what was behind all that. I like to learn the basics and work out the advanced stuff on my own through experience, and he likes to do a deep dive right away and read a bunch of strategies online. If we can stick with a game long enough, I usually end up at a similar skill level, but when he'd spend hours reading board game forums and making loving spreadsheets for something we only did the two player version of, it felt kinda personal. Of course it wasn't, it's just that he gets excited to figure all that out. But as someone who needs more time to wrap my head around a set of rules, his approach can feel like it interferes with mine.

These days we tend to stick with either co-op games or the ones where you're working on your own separate board. I still get outpaced at that second kind, but I don't mind losing when the structure of the game lets me do my own thing.
Actually looking up strategies online in order to crush your wife 1v1 in boardgames is extremely personal and your husband is purestrain Goon

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Clocks posted:

Back in uni one of the guys I sometimes hung out with brought in an old N64 they had. Well, I had spent a big portion of my childhood playing SSB so I handily trounced the people I played with, so they switched to Mario Kart which I had no experience with. After playing for a couple hours and getting last place literally every single time I left them to it, lol.

To be honest I feel like bowing out because I wasn't really having the most fun losing over and over was more mature than freaking out about it or whatever. I think it's ok to admit you're not good at something and choose to do something else.

This is how I am with games, I just check the gently caress out if I'm not enjoying it anymore. Incidentally, I have a friend who loves TCGs like pokemon, magic, and yugioh who is pretty much incapable of making decks that aren't deliberately the least fun things possible; like the kind of poo poo that exists solely so the opponent can't play anything at all ever. And they constantly wonder why no one wants to play them, or when we do play I'll like take three losses then be like "Well that was fun, I think I've had enough for the night" and find something else to do.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
There's that video where a woman responds to the prompt 'Tell me your man would never cheat without telling me your man would never cheat' with showing him playing with his Star Wars collection and geeking out.

So what I'm saying is you have to utterly crush her in all games and nerdy hobbies so she never ever even thinks she needs to check your phone or ask pointedly where you've been.

Thus allowing you to cheat.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I've made a game out of how narrowly I can let my wife and kids beat me at Mario Kart. I still have all the same brain worms, I've just turned them to good instead of evil.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

OP needs to own it if that's the case. We just moved and I'll gladly shittalk Texas because it loving deserves it.

"What brought you to <city>" is pretty innocuous in general though, as is tweaking the question to include the top two reasons why people move.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

"So what brings you here" is one of the most milquetoast conversation starters ever and I'm laughing at this goon of a poster that either froths in rage or runs away shrieking in terror when they hear it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I read the post like they’re defensive about moving there because they’ve heard locals complain about people moving there and driving rents up

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Haschel Cedricson posted:

One of my students went through a stretch where he was really into Tic-Tac-Toe, and I would intentionally throw every other game so he wouldn't get discouraged. Have you ever tried to throw a game of Tic-Tac-Toe only for your opponent to make a move that forces you to win anyway? It is an experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGe7p98Wagg

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
That poster is definitely covering up a dark and terrible secret, no one had ever moved to Minneapolis because they wanted to

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I am SICK and TIRED of people asking why me I've moved to this dour island with no extraditions treaties. "Was it for work? For retirenment? To escape the city? To photograph the rare birds? To meet a pretty local?"

First of all they're WAY off. Second of all MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!

e: My I Did Not Move To This Island Without Extradition Treaties Because I'm A Wanted Criminal t-shirt has people asking questions already answered by my t-shirt.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Evil Willow posted:

"Look it's been a whole fifteen minutes since the last bottle in my hand, Jessica, you know the drill. Make nice with this complete stranger while Daddy gets his happy juice.

What do you mean no you won't watch her?!"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bug Squash posted:

I've made a game out of how narrowly I can let my wife and kids beat me at Mario Kart. I still have all the same brain worms, I've just turned them to good instead of evil.

My 9 year old kid is usually pretty chill but for some reason he just goes insane when we're bowling. So I have to carefully lose but not by too much which is harder than it sounds. Very proud of losing 121 to 125 yesterday after three rounds, almost as proud as my kid was for winning :buddy:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Evil Willow posted:

“Man, you don’t even know me. I could be a psychopath, or a Republican. Watch your own kid at a busy public event instead of desperately needing alcohol.”

“WhY iS tHeRe No CoMmOn CoUrTeSy AnYmOrE”

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Shifty Pony posted:

OP needs to own it if that's the case. We just moved and I'll gladly shittalk Texas because it loving deserves it.

"What brought you to <city>" is pretty innocuous in general though, as is tweaking the question to include the top two reasons why people move.

It's not that weird to want to avoid talking politics with someone you just met.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sounds like they have been driven insane by the "Minnesota Nice" phenomenon. The profound ability of native Minnesotans to be polite and rude at the same time.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Polite and rude at the same time?

I thought that was the South. And Appalachia. And LA. And D.C.

Matter fact don't most parts of the USA do this?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All people everywhere can be nice and rude at the same time, some regions just have idioms for this that are famous outside the region for whatever reason

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Around here it's called "You wanna give me my fuckin' change please?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bright Bart posted:

Polite and rude at the same time?

I thought that was the South. And Appalachia. And LA. And D.C.

Matter fact don't most parts of the USA do this?

Well they can try to, but Minnesotans are the absolute best at it.