Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

I've gotta say: I'm really digging Shadow's characterization in Prime. I even find his tendency to just beat the poo poo out of Sonic as a default greeting pretty endearing...

Yeah, unlike Boom which turned the edgelord aspect of the character up to 11 as a joke here he’s kind of more like his game counterpart only slightly more aggressive (I even kind of like his VA more than the current game one)

MJeff posted:

Should I watch Prime? I watched one clip where Rouge was doing her "I love GOOOOOOOOLD" shtick and Sonic was like "bro how'd you get in here" and she was like "you left the door open, dumbass." and it was really funny. Is the whole show like that? Is there a lot of Rouge? The idea of her as one of Sonic's buddies struck me as a really interesting twist on her character.

Yes, Prime is good and yes Rouge has a prominent role in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Larryb posted:

Yeah, unlike Boom which turned the edgelord aspect of the character up to 11 as a joke here he’s kind of more like his game counterpart only slightly more aggressive (I even kind of like his VA more than the current game one)

I think the big mistake they made with Boom!Shadow was shoehorning him into a purely antagonistic role. I'm actually a big fan of the Boom tv series and want to see that particular brand of humor carried over to the series as a whole, but it feels like they really didn't utilize Shadow very well in that. I think he's definitely a character you can mix into a goofier situation for humor (See: The Sonic Twitter takeovers) but for me the crux of the comedy needs to be "Shadow is always in serious mode no matter how ridiculous the situation" rather than just having him be a generic rival to Sonic.

Also: Definitely agreed about the voice actors. Not to get too jingoistic with it or anything, but I feel like Canada has a really good pool of voice acting talent overall. It's actually kind of funny, because I've recently been looking back on some of the 90s-era anime dubs that were being helmed primarily by Canadian studios (Sailor Moon and the Ocean dub of DBZ) and, while these productions have kind of a bad reputation within their fandoms for the changes they made to the source material, the voice acting itself is actually really solid.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
As someone who's an eternal sucker for "artificial being learns how to people," I'm sad that Nicole is never going to see the light of day again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

I think the big mistake they made with Boom!Shadow was shoehorning him into a purely antagonistic role. I'm actually a big fan of the Boom tv series and want to see that particular brand of humor carried over to the series as a whole, but it feels like they really didn't utilize Shadow very well in that. I think he's definitely a character you can mix into a goofier situation for humor (See: The Sonic Twitter takeovers) but for me the crux of the comedy needs to be "Shadow is always in serious mode no matter how ridiculous the situation" rather than just having him be a generic rival to Sonic.

Also: Definitely agreed about the voice actors. Not to get too jingoistic with it or anything, but I feel like Canada has a really good pool of voice acting talent overall. It's actually kind of funny, because I've recently been looking back on some of the 90s-era anime dubs that were being helmed primarily by Canadian studios (Sailor Moon and the Ocean dub of DBZ) and, while these productions have kind of a bad reputation within their fandoms for the changes they made to the source material, the voice acting itself is actually really solid.

Ironically enough his current VA Kirk Thornton actually has a perfectly serviceable Shadow in him (just do his Saix voice from Kingdom Hearts only with a bit more emotion attached to it) though I will admit the voice he does use for the character has improved somewhat as of late

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

You can absolutely get great work out of CanCon actors. Of the top of the head both Death Note and MLP shows what you can do when you're using that sort of cast for their talent rather than budget concerns.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

DanielCross posted:

As someone who's an eternal sucker for "artificial being learns how to people," I'm sad that Nicole is never going to see the light of day again.

Shard :sigh:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'd rather never see Boom's humor again, especially in regards to Knuckles.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You may not like big dumb guy jokes in general, but Boom had some good big dumb guy jokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HebZqQEHGbI

Come on, how do you not crack a smile at that?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

By it being all his character is and having been made fun of in school for being slow.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I dunno, I really like some of the jokes they get going with Boom!Knuckles. I don't want to see regular Knuckles written that way, but I am 100% on board with them having a main series character that's just a reskinned Boom!Knuckles. Maybe Mighty? I don't feel like he has much of an established personality.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i really like post-reboot archie mighty, he's a gentle warrior monk type who's clearly put a lot of effort into controlling his strength and helps sonic get a handle on the werehog

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
he also gets a sick fight against berserk sonic

and flirts with knuckles

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DanielCross posted:

nicole ftw

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looper posted:

he also gets a sick fight against berserk sonic

and flirts with knuckles

Looper posted:

nicole ftw

All of this loving rules

"BLAST PROCESSING!"
:allears:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Nicole and Shard are legitimately two of my favorite characters in all of Sonic and I'm beyond bummed they'll probably never come back :sigh:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Potto really came up with so much cool poo poo in that world, it's such a bummer that he as a creator and we as fans had to just lose all of it because Archie is too incompetent to keep track of their contracts. At least he eventually got to write a Sonic game, one that was pretty well-received for its story, which must've been a dream come true for him.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

Nicole and Shard are legitimately two of my favorite characters in all of Sonic and I'm beyond bummed they'll probably never come back :sigh:

There's a better chance of her re-appearing than the rest of the Archie Comics cast, at least. While her holo-lynx form was created for the Archie Comics, NICOLE was originally a character on the SATAM series. While Sega doesn't seem to have any desire to use the SATAM characters, they do have the rights to use them if they so desire. So if there's a changeover with the suits at Sega and the guys in charge decide they want to make use of her there's nothing stopping them, unlike the characters associated with Penders.

Looper posted:

i really like post-reboot archie mighty, he's a gentle warrior monk type who's clearly put a lot of effort into controlling his strength and helps sonic get a handle on the werehog

That sounds like a guy who deserves to be named "Sensitive Soul of the Month" by Hulking Brute Magazine.

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 4, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean, they can use the Penders' characters if they really want to as well. They just gotta pay the guy.

Which, I dunno, I know they had an acrimonious split but also, I don't loving care that this guy pantsed your previous partner in court, SEGA, and you shouldn't either. Just pay him enough money to make his incredibly lovely Echidna fanfic and get your drat characters back.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Why though? Who cares at this point? Does Sega even want the pre-reboot characters?
The Archie reboot happened a decade ago now (give or take a few months). Does anyone outside of people who read pre-reboot Archie as a kid care about Pender's hundreds of Echidnas, or Pervert the Skunk or whatever? They're not the target audience anymore, why would Sega pay to get a bunch of characters that kids who like Sonic now have never heard of?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Veotax posted:

Why though? Who cares at this point? Does Sega even want the pre-reboot characters?
The Archie reboot happened a decade ago now (give or take a few months). Does anyone outside of people who read pre-reboot Archie as a kid care about Pender's hundreds of Echidnas, or Pervert the Skunk or whatever? They're not the target audience anymore, why would Sega pay to get a bunch of characters that kids who like Sonic now have never heard of?

I don't think anyone expects Sega to bring back their favourite old comic characters. But a fan can dream, right?

That said, Sega have pushed hard on the nostalgia pedal the last several years. It would be a fun way to add some spice to the Classic Sonic cast.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Veotax posted:

I do not enter the Sonic thread for this kind of Scourge disrespect, sir and/or madam.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
You want to add spice to Classic Sonic, put Shadow in already

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Who cares about old green sonic, we have a way cooler one now

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

shard ftw

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

Surge is excellent but she doesn't radiate the blatant OC Do Not Steal energy quite the same way Scourge did, which is a big part of why he's my favorite character.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Yeah, I really don't think paying Penders would be worth it. Frankly most of his characters suck and the ones that people have fond memories of are almost all the result of better writers doing interesting things with the bland concepts Ken came up with. Seriously, looking through the list of characters Penders created on the Archie Sonic wiki and 95% of them are either "Extraneous family member of an existing Sonic character", "Knuckles recolor", "Alternate universe counterpart of an existing Sonic character" and "Nondescript background extra".

The fact that most of the Penders characters people liked were largely defined by other writers also presents a weird conundrum in that since all the things that made them endearing were the result of non-Penders writers building off an existing character, there's nothing really stopping Sega or the people working for them from taking the defining elements of that character and transplanting them onto a new, wholly original creation. We've already seen that with some character in the IDW comics, like Surge who is just everything people enjoyed about Scourge the hedgehog but with the bits Penders could lay claim to removed. And people LOVE Surge.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Surge is excellent but she doesn't radiate the blatant OC Do Not Steal energy quite the same way Scourge did, which is a big part of why he's my favorite character.

scourge ftw

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Looper posted:

scourge ftw

god he's such a loving loser, it's great, love him, my king

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Looper posted:

scourge ftw

Hell yeah

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

flavor.flv posted:

Surge is great but make no mistake, she is not Scourge.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Surge makes sense when you remember she's Starline's edgy (literal) Sonic OC, so all the loser fail cringe energy is 100% intentional, which owns in its own way

(See also: Infinite being Eggman's OC who's totally stronger than Silver, edgier than Shadow, and faster than Sonic)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We've got Belle and Sage, though I will admit they are no Nicole even if they have their own charms.

They could also do something similar to the cyberniks from Fleetway, who were regular people permanently trapped in what were basically Eggman-designed Iron Man suits.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We've got Belle and Sage, though I will admit they are no Nicole even if they have their own charms.

They could also do something similar to the cyberniks from Fleetway, who were regular people permanently trapped in what were basically Eggman-designed Iron Man suits.

Speaking of, I hope they port Sage over to the IDW comic eventually

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Scourge absolutely rules.

It would be nice if the Freedom Fighters became part of the classic Sonic cast but it would never happen. The only female classic cast members are Amy and Honey the Cat. Would be nice to add more to the mix.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Palmtree Panic posted:

It would be nice if the Freedom Fighters became part of the classic Sonic cast but it would never happen. The only female classic cast members are Amy and Honey the Cat. Would be nice to add more to the mix.

Especially considering he started out as just an evil AU version of Sonic with a jacket and shades (technically he never stopped being that but he did get a lot more interesting at least)

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Palmtree Panic posted:

theyre adding new girl Trip in Superstars. shes technically listed as a villain but she doesn't look much like bad guy

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
I don’t miss a lot of the old Archie stuff but I do miss Nicole and Shard. As far as I recall most of what made the Archie characters awesome was the writing that Ian did after he took over so I don’t see why he and Evan can’t recreate that magic. Belle is certainly not it (yet anyway) but reformed robot or computer learning to be human are concepts they can nail if they try and hopefully they’ll get around to it eventually in IDW. I’d love to see it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So could IDW potentially use Mighty and Ray at least or are they purely regulated to the “classic” era at this point?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mighty and Ray are 100% Sega characters, so there's nothing legally stopping them, other than if Sega doesn't want them in the 'Modern' era, since they've only been in classic style games. Which sounds like it might be the case, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If they did Classic stories they could use them.