Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

A $20 difference between bid and ask price is a good sign, right?

if it's BRK.A, sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Well, the stock price is around 2500% lower, so maybe there's a bit of a liquidity issue

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

What do you think about ZM? They seem to be actually making some money these days but it's a video chat company with zero moat, and I've practically stopped hearing from them altogether since 2021. Feels like it might not even exist in 5 years especially if msft Teams gets better. Even at their current share price it might be worth it to get a ZM leap put.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Held onto those AAL options for a little longer and ended up selling with like a $1200 profit so not too shabby.

People are still buying them up en masse by the looks of it but I've learnt to not get too greedy or I tend to get burnt..

drk
Jan 16, 2005

UnfurledSails posted:

What do you think about ZM? They seem to be actually making some money these days but it's a video chat company with zero moat, and I've practically stopped hearing from them altogether since 2021. Feels like it might not even exist in 5 years especially if msft Teams gets better. Even at their current share price it might be worth it to get a ZM leap put.

Their TTM P/E is over 3000. The P or the E is going to have to change there eventually.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I used to be a tesla fanboy, but they have managed to completely squander their lead. The autopilot has actually gotten worse over the past five years. Rental car company gave me a new Corolla for this weekend, and i think the lane assist on that 20k car is actually better.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Anyone think this new Grimace Macdonald's social media trend may move the needle for them? I see Chris Camillo paying a lot of attention to it on social media

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I’m still a fan of Airbnb. I don’t think it’s a good investment, but I certainly don’t see them fading away either.

Super hosts are quite useful, and I see less falsified listings than on vrbo. Also airbnbs are generally nicer than hotels, especially for longer stays - I am curious how local laws effect the business model, it does seem like they need to be reigned in to stop runaway inflation, especially in most U.S. markets

E: remote work is arguably a strong driver of more stable recurring revenue for long term stays

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 30, 2023

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Yeah if I'm staying at a place for longer than a month but less than a year I usually choose airbnb. I've heard people say hotels are less expensive but that's not the norm, and even then experience has taught me that there is usually a reason for the cheapness and I'd have been better off paying a little bit extra anyway.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Baddog posted:

I used to be a tesla fanboy, but they have managed to completely squander their lead. The autopilot has actually gotten worse over the past five years. Rental car company gave me a new Corolla for this weekend, and i think the lane assist on that 20k car is actually better.

The proliferation of EVs has really hit them hard. Not even talking about big car manufacturers, little companies that Musk laughed at like BYD are starting to catch up and pick a fight that Tesla has no way of even competing in

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Watching TSLA, the 8th largest stock on the SPY, go from $300 to $110 and back to $260 in just the previous year is a sight to behold. No wonder people love trading the thing.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’m up nearly 40% on AAPL. I didn’t learn my lesson during the pandemic re: taking profits. I always meant it to be a long term hold and I expect it to do well or hold its value through the years, but should I sell some?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Cacafuego posted:

I’m up nearly 40% on AAPL. I didn’t learn my lesson during the pandemic re: taking profits. I always meant it to be a long term hold and I expect it to do well or hold its value through the years, but should I sell some?

I would, but I'm not as cool or good as you

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've always argued that Tesla's advantage wasn't technology (although they've had technology leads from time to time) but rather branding: both in terms of aesthetic design and the way the brand has been positioned and promoted. But the brand has been severely tarnished in the last couple of years and other manufacturers seem willing to make electric cars that actually look good or at least normal (as opposed to the compulsion to make goofy looking weird cards that prevailed for like a decade). At this point Tesla's only got its charging network, its solar company, its battery manufacturing business, and its toxic CEO doing his best to destroy his reputation. The first three items are worth something but not e.g. a 20x+ multiple P/E, and the latter is an active detriment to the company.

I would not be a TSLA buyer.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cacafuego posted:

Apple, at this point, isn't going to get smaller.

Thank capitalism.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol if you didn't put your entire retirement into AAPL

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Y'all I'll cede abnb is valid for furnished medium term rentals

Leperflesh posted:

I've always argued that Tesla's advantage wasn't technology (although they've had technology leads from time to time) but rather branding: both in terms of aesthetic design and the way the brand has been positioned and promoted.

I would not be a TSLA buyer.

I haven't been keeping track but doesn't Tesla not buy advertising? I guess they do media events but all car companies do that

Ford recently announced that they're going to use the Tesla charging standard/connector going forward (and some kind of supercharger network agreement), and in the last week 90% of the industry has adopted it as well

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I haven't been keeping track but doesn't Tesla not buy advertising? I guess they do media events but all car companies do that
I've heard it's because Elon personally doesn't think advertising works, which may well be correct, but it is pretty funny position to have when he's hoping other companies will spend for ads on Twitter.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tesla has always been marketed by promoting the Elon brand.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Shear Modulus posted:

lol if you didn't put your entire retirement into AAPL

My mom's "All AAPL all the time" strategy has done way better than anything I will ever be able to do through investing

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Power of Pecota posted:

My mom's "All AAPL all the time" strategy has done way better than anything I will ever be able to do through investing

"My neighbor Sally bought ten bucks of Apple stock in 1984, and she used that to pay off her house. That's what you should be doing! Have you heard of Apple?"

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Red posted:

"My neighbor Sally bought ten bucks of Apple stock in 1984, and she used that to pay off her house. That's what you should be doing! Have you heard of Apple?"

https://youtu.be/SNa4EMUWnAc

The fruit company?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I’m mobile posting so can’t search but I am 100% certain I had $TTCF in a shitco list in the prior stocks thread:

https://twitter.com/upslopecapital/status/1674872539519279104

The market is healing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Part of a brand's cache can be that it does not do much or any traditional advertising. You can see this sometimes with certain low volume luxury brands. During the era in which Tesla's products sold out before even being manufactured, they had no need to attempt to find more customers, so that makes sense anyway. But also as someone else said, Elon Musk has been a core part of the brand.

You might say that SpaceX launching a Tesla into a Mars-intersecting orbit was an example of the kinds of brand promotion the company has done in the past. Being the subject of breathless news articles about how the company is disrupting everything from manufacturing process to the entrenched dealership networks, or how their cars will save the world from global warming, etc. is another, and Musk has been skilled at attracting media attention for a long time.

Tesla is a lifestyle brand and I think approaching it in that way as an investor makes much more sense than trying to reconcile the stock price to things like asset valuations and sales numbers, or technological moats or whatever. It neither rises nor falls on silly things like net profits, but rather on far more important things like consumer enthusiasm and hype quotient.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Ford recently announced that they're going to use the Tesla charging standard/connector going forward (and some kind of supercharger network agreement), and in the last week 90% of the industry has adopted it as well

SAE just made it the standard too, that format war is over.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Buying AAPL in about as much size as I could afford in ~2013 was the second best trade I made in my life. I still own a nice chunk of it.

pmchem posted:

I’m mobile posting so can’t search but I am 100% certain I had $TTCF in a shitco list in the prior stocks thread:

It's a deSPAC, so probably.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Baddog posted:

Tesla should have bought a big car manufacturer when they had the chance. As it is, they are going to eat Tesla for breakfast. The F-150 lighting is amazing if you can buy one and the build quality is great.

The charger thing is great for Tesla short term but the EU will break any chance they have of making money on it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/upslopecapital/status/1674872539519279104

The market is healing

another deSPAC bites the dust lmao

God that was a fun, profitable, and completely stupid era

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

TSLA jumping another 7% on open. Almost tripled in price since the start of the year. Sure its trailing P/E of >80 might sound high, but it's actually quite reasonable compared to NVDA's P/E >210.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Subvisual Haze posted:

TSLA jumping another 7% on open. Almost tripled in price since the start of the year. Sure its trailing P/E of >80 might sound high, but it's actually quite reasonable compared to NVDA's P/E >210.

I thought I wasn't going to get sucked back into this stuff at the start of the year and I certainly looked at and loved those prices but decided against things.. here I am again.

Picked up a couple of MRVL aug 11 23 62c and NOV July 21 23 17c today.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Subvisual Haze posted:

I have a sudden urge to invest conservatively.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I'm betting everything on the Barbie movie, so I don't have to worry about tech stocks

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

I'm betting everything on the Barbie movie, so I don't have to worry about tech stocks

$WBD is the studio for both Barbie and last year's Top Gun: Maverick, which made a bazillion dollars at release (top 5 all time domestic).

within 2 weeks after Maverick's release date, $WBD had lost >25% of its stock price

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Expecting a decent bump in GME when the money comes out and everyone jumps on it again... Chris Camillo thinks it's a no brainer social ARB trade but I really don't wanna go down that rabbit hole again, I can't imagine I'll get that lucky twice.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

pmchem posted:

$WBD is the studio for both Barbie and last year's Top Gun: Maverick, which made a bazillion dollars at release (top 5 all time domestic).

within 2 weeks after Maverick's release date, $WBD had lost >25% of its stock price

You're looking at it the wrong way, movies like this aren't worth the celluloid they used to be printed on. Sure, the Avengers grossed $1.5b worldwide, but it had a $230m budget and at least $150m in marketing, so that $1.5b doesn't end up being that big, especially after theaters and foreign markets take their share of the gross. The money is in the merch, and boy did Disney sell a lot of it

The lion's share of money made by Barbie is going to go to Mattel, who are going to benefit from the massive push in demand from wide demographics they couldn't previously reach for one of their largest and most prestigious IPs. If the movie does good, this demand could keep the stock price up until their price takes its usual jump for the holiday. Also, their stock was pretty cheap a few times this year and there was already a good amount of hype for Barbie going around, so it seemed like a fun way to make money on the cheap

Even if the movie physically harms viewers, it should at least be a wash by the time I get my money out, but I'm not actually betting the farm on Barbie. I just have more than I should in Mattel, so I like to joke that my money is riding on Margot Robbie's shoulders

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

lol I actually kinda like your mattel thesis, although the stock did have a very nice rebound already since the barbie marketing started

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Expecting a decent bump in GME when the money comes out and everyone jumps on it again... Chris Camillo thinks it's a no brainer social ARB trade but I really don't wanna go down that rabbit hole again, I can't imagine I'll get that lucky twice.

Hmmm yes I feel the froth... May put a couple of bucks in GME calls

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

pmchem posted:

lol I actually kinda like your mattel thesis, although the stock did have a very nice rebound already since the barbie marketing started

It dipped to the lowest since Covid this spring when I bought in, a couple months before the trailer, so I guess I got to enjoy a bit of that rebound. It basically amounted to a blind pick, but when the stock price goes from $20 today to ~$23 in 3 weeks, I'll be able to say that I got a tidy ~45% return on a hunch, and get to feel like I'm an expert trader for about 5 minutes

And I know know my argument could apply to most licensed products, which is probably why so much licensed garbage exists, but this brand has a secret strength for producing this type of content. The concept behind Barbie being a doll with a super strong aesthetic who does everything a kid can dream of makes it possible to have her in a movie about anything. She could be in a shot for shot remake of Saving Private Ryan and as long as they kept things around a G rating, she was happy, smiled a lot, changed outfits, and they nailed the barbie aesthetic, it would still be pretty authentic to the experience of playing with barbies. That's why I held even after the trailer release couldn't stop the price from falling, it should be impossible to gently caress up the movie enough to lose money on both it and the merchandise

Should be....

E: and Mattel does have an impressive portfolio of IPs to draw on, although I unfortunately don't think they'd make an anthology series out of the American Girl Doll books or figure out how to make a Hot Wheels movie get to 85 minutes

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 4, 2023

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

The Door Frame posted:

E: and Mattel does have an impressive portfolio of IPs to draw on, although I unfortunately don't think they'd make an anthology series out of the American Girl Doll books or figure out how to make a Hot Wheels movie get to 85 minutes

To make a hot wheels movie all they have to do is make a racing movie and have the team be called hot wheels and feature “iconic” cars. Though they could make a sci-fi thing with a shrink ray I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

China announcing export controls on gallium and germanium. I wonder how that hits nvda and other chip makers?