Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Murdstone posted:

This is the most baffling thing to me. The whole point of Twitter was to be short and concise. Who was asking for more words?
I'll admit, I never understood the character limit on Twitter, and thought tweet threads were an admission that it was a dumb idea - There does exist a separate site to turn tweet threads into a more readable format, after all, which doesn't say much for the site's format.

But somehow Twitter is worse with long form tweets. I think just because of how it makes embeds only show part of the tweet. Like how only half an image appears on Facebook feeds, and you need to click to see the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Slugworth posted:

I'll admit, I never understood the character limit on Twitter, and thought tweet threads were an admission that it was a dumb idea - There does exist a separate site to turn tweet threads into a more readable format, after all, which doesn't say much for the site's format.

But somehow Twitter is worse with long form tweets. I think just because of how it makes embeds only show part of the tweet. Like how only half an image appears on Facebook feeds, and you need to click to see the whole thing.
It was a technical limitation initially, as Entropic said.

But the limitation also encourages certain behavior that I think made twitter into a successful niche. It encourages concise and to the point posts with a link to some original source or a short video, etc instead of people going on :words: rants. I don't want to read a 5,000 word essay on twitter, even if it's not formatted as a thread. It doesn't have to be everything to everyone.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Murdstone posted:

This is the most baffling thing to me. The whole point of Twitter was to be short and concise. Who was asking for more words?
Well let me explain that …

1/57

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Boris Galerkin posted:

So yesterday I gooned about how Instagram ads and suggested contents sucked and some of y’all gooned that I could just hit “not interested” to all of them to get rid of them. So I spent some time doing that now now it shows me even dumber ads for poo poo like this

First I don’t have kids. Second why the gently caress do I need to buy anything to play “the floor is lava”???

Looks like it's a bunch of foam tiles so your filthy spawn don't put their feet on your furniture. Or fall off your furniture and crack their skulls open.

\
Wee. Look how much fun that kid is having standing on tiny foam rectangles.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Goolies. :colbert:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Looks like it's a bunch of foam tiles so your filthy spawn don't put their feet on your furniture. Or fall off your furniture and crack their skulls open.

\

I hope they're designed to grip the floor. That looks like a deathtrap if they slide on wood.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shoes in the house. 🤮

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Slugworth posted:

The character limit was there because originally Twitter was designed to accept SMS for Tweets which was helpful in the developing world and/or places where infrastructure is bad or destroyed.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Slugworth posted:

I'll admit, I never understood the character limit on Twitter,

History lesson time! Twitters initial idea was texting but on the Internet. The initial character limit was how long a SMS text message could be and at the time it was a constraint non-Internet people were used to so it was an easy adjustment. In some countries you could tweet by texting a phone number and I think you might have been able to get tweets as texts too maybe? I believe that's part of how twitter was used during Arab spring to organise resistance movements following Internet censorship.

People don't really use SMS to talk to each other anymore and they upped the limit once already, so that history is no longer relevant. I feel like nowadays it was meant as a "constraints breed creativity" thing to force people to be succinct, but then it ruined everything by making it so anything nuanced enough to need more than 200-something characters to explain was impossible to convey.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Entropic posted:

It feels like there should be a similarly dumb name for SA posts instead of just calling them “posts”

Pants, and the act of crafting them is “making GBS threads your pants” or “making GBS threads my pants”

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Brain Curry posted:

Pants, and the act of crafting them is “making GBS threads your pants” or “making GBS threads my pants”

Can't go wrong with the classics

.random
May 7, 2007

SAwfeeting or ‘feeting for short. I thought that’s what everyone already called it :confused:

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Entropic posted:

You can make long posts no one will read, post huge video files and charge fans for your exclusive tweets! These are definitely all things the user base has been clamouring for.

Of all these, the charging followers for exclusive tweets hits me as the most pathetic.

If I was supporting a creator, I would prefer to receive nothing for my money over a paywalled tweet.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Elon should change tweets from being called Tweets to being called Twarts

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I know there's Facebook dating now but I would be fearful of any couple who met via Facebook dating

Facebook was basically a dating app for the first few years. That changed up after they let in kids and olds.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dating/perving/stalking

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It was originally great for finding house parties in college too. Just search for party and show up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Well let me explain that …

1/57

Weirdly, the fact that effort posts/threads had to be formatted like this contributed to the unique feel of tweets and Twitter, and became part of the rhythm of the medium like how a half-hour tv show is broken up by three ad breaks

Arbitrary size blog posts without any structural constraints are easier to read but harder to engage with, if that makes any sense

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Wee posted:

Elon should change tweets from being called Tweets to being called Twarts

lol this reminds me that he had someone paint the w in the Twitter sign at HQ (but only on one side)

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Vintersorg posted:

Shoes in the house. 🤮

But not on the floor!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

AndrewP posted:

:smug:

I feel like Mastodon actually briefly had a clear opportunity, but blew it with the “federated” poo poo

Mastodon succeeded at being mastodon. Which is good enough for me

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I keep waiting for Bluesky to come out of beta and eat Twitter's lunch, for good or bad. You know all the corps and celebrities will jump to a not openly insane platform the second there is a viable alternative.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Is it possible that the next phase of the internet for sites where you make and view posts is just significantly more fragmented? Obviously each of Musk, Dorsey, Zuck and whoever runs Mastodon want to be the winner in a “winner takes all” global town square opportunity, but is it implausible for three/four of these services to exist with decent-sized, differently segmented audiences?

I kind of like the idea of there being different walled off places online people can spend time and post (maybe evidently as I post on something awful dot com).

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Halisnacks posted:

Is it possible that the next phase of the internet for sites where you make and view posts is just significantly more fragmented? Obviously each of Musk, Dorsey, Zuck and whoever runs Mastodon want to be the winner in a “winner takes all” global town square opportunity, but is it implausible for three/four of these services to exist with decent-sized, differently segmented audiences?

I kind of like the idea of there being different walled off places online people can spend time and post (maybe evidently as I post on something awful dot com).

The things that are problematic for what you propose is: users wanting to get the highest click and follower metrics and revenue being linked to that either through ads or other means. These forces will tend to make smaller platforms die off unless there is something compelling there causing loyal users to stay with a community there despite a smaller audience (see Truth Social lol).

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I keep waiting for Bluesky to come out of beta and eat Twitter's lunch, for good or bad. You know all the corps and celebrities will jump to a not openly insane platform the second there is a viable alternative.

It seems to be the case already. I hopped in to Bluesky and it seems to be mostly the celebrities and personalities I considered unfollowing on Twitter before the implosion anyway because they just cluttered my timeline with project promotion.

Halisnacks posted:

... and whoever runs Mastodon ...

John Mastodon

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Slugworth posted:

Tweet threads should not have existed even if it required an army of moderators to subjectively enforce the rule

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I think one of the several fundamental misunderstandings people have about mastodon/the fediverse is that it pretty explicitly will not do some of the things necessary to become "the" social media site.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Facebook Aunt posted:

\
Too bad it's not just a jug of gas and a match. Maybe that's in the hardcore expansion.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

greatBigJerk posted:

Too bad it's not just a jug of gas and a match. Maybe that's in the hardcore expansion.

Thanks. My daughter read your comment and burned the house down. I'll go into detail about how here, since there's no limit on the amount of word

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Zwabu posted:

The things that are problematic for what you propose is: users wanting to get the highest click and follower metrics and revenue being linked to that either through ads or other means. These forces will tend to make smaller platforms die off unless there is something compelling there causing loyal users to stay with a community there despite a smaller audience (see Truth Social lol).

I suppose a user that was single-mindedly pursuing follower reach and impressions (say, a brand account) would deal with the hassle of having and posting to multiple accounts across services (which is what many already do today, posting the same content across all their socials).

People already experience and use Twitter in different ways (politics Twitter, sports Twitter, shitpost Twitter, to say nothing of Twitter for different languages/countries); other than the initial migration period I don’t see why an ecosystem more fragmented across platforms couldn’t be possible.

Someone might point to Twitter’s inability to make a profit even when it was the closest thing to a global town square and say that fragmentation would just result in several subscale, unprofitable businesses that couldn’t survive. I don’t have a good response to that other than incredulity that this business model hasn’t been cracked yet.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Thanks. My daughter read your comment and burned the house down. I'll go into detail about how here, since there's no limit on the amount of word
I can't wait for the thrilling conclusion to this post.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

big black turnout posted:

I think one of the several fundamental misunderstandings people have about mastodon/the fediverse is that it pretty explicitly will not do some of the things necessary to become "the" social media site.

You could argue that that also means they equally misunderstand the entire attraction to the twitter format.
Like, Twitter without its massive userbase is just a lovely gimped microblogging site at that point. You might as well just start a Tumblr and be able to actually do things with your page.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ishikabibble posted:

You could argue that that also means they equally misunderstand the entire attraction to the twitter format.
Like, Twitter without its massive userbase is just a lovely gimped microblogging site at that point. You might as well just start a Tumblr and be able to actually do things with your page.

Introducing new Twitter CSS.
-"No this won't cause more server issues".

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

As is really clear right now when instance admins threaten to de-federate each other over whether or not they federate with Meta's Threads. The design of how the Fediverse works will always be both its greatest strength and ultimate weakness when it comes to growth.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I understand this and think it's dumb, the ideological blockers are bullshit, it's just bad design and an insistence that the bad design is the only way to implement things along the ideological lines, out of ego and stubborness.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The appeal of Twitter was a constant feed of poo poo I found interesting or funny across a large spectrum of interests and groups.

If I wanted to fragment them into their own little things I’d probably just post on some dead forum

But honestly Twitter was far too addictive and even when I tried to limit it to just sports stuff, I’d still be on it way too much and news and politics would creep in eventually and make me pretty mad about stuff on a regular basis. This has been a nice clean break

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 5, 2023

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

surc posted:

ideological blockers

You mean, 'not giving nazis and other hateful shits a platform'?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Zybourne Clock posted:

You mean, 'not giving nazis and other hateful shits a platform'?

It's Mastodon's biggest weakness and unforced error! How will they succeed at dominating the social media game and monetizing their user base for the enrichment of one porcelain skinned, oblong weirdo without the help of the internet's beloved nazis??

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I would think the “fragmented into interests” thing is kind of covered by subreddits and FB groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

AndrewP posted:

If I wanted to fragment them into their own little things I’d probably just post on some dead forum

How gay are these dead forums?