Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

If Jamie isn't back for Wembley, you could do worse than Toni/Giulia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Giulia back in her hometown would be fun

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Crapple! posted:

If Jamie isn't back for Wembley, you could do worse than Toni/Giulia

She's got 5 Star matches that weekend - believe its only the Saturday but I suspect if this was planned they'd block out the whole weekend

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Come get your Maika beer.

https://twitter.com/_Maika0324/status/1676488020558770177

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Here comes Johnny Yen again
At the Liquor & Drug
With the Maika beer

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

whats a good point to jump in on tjpw to get a good idea of the current major players. i dont mind watching a bit of a back log. i know the "Stories" are basically just like, everyone wants to get better. cheer your faves on! i'm subbed to w-u. thanks for your help everyone.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Honestly, there's the big show this weekend, Summer Sun Princess, IIRC it's on Saturday. But if you want something before that, just check out Grand Princess '23 from March, it's got all the big names from TJPW, it's got someone in a giant panda suit, it's got the accursed French, Aja Kong beating up an idol, & as far as I remember Chris Brookes is on commentary so there's English commentary which helps

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

imho you can be mostly up to date with grand princess, the hyper misao show and summer sun princess

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

let me be clear though, do NOT believe in maki itoh

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Wrestle Princess III was my jumping on point and it loving Whips. I understood more or less all the characters immediately, fell in love with MIZUKI, Shoko Nakajima, Miyu Yamashita, Miu Watanabe, and Hyper Misao, and the English commentary helped. Add in the Grand Princess where the full NEO Biishiki-gun has a match and you have absolute banger shows to get into the whole deal.

And yeah, Summer Sun Princess is coming up and has an absolutely insane card. TJPW helped make me a regular watcher again so I hope you enjoy it too!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

:tipshat:

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Watch Grand Princess from March and Summer Sun Princess coming up in a day or two. Most of the wrestling is character based but there's not many long-running storylines to worry about. Wrestling is pretty formulaic but enjoyable and almost every card is just a grab bag of random matchups and teams so you can pick up on every wrestler just based off their costume and a one or two sentence summary.

Guests @ Summer Sun Princess
Aja Kong, Ryu Mizunami, Sawyer Wreck, ASUKA, Vert Vixen, Max the Impaler, & Nyla Rose

Wrestlers who appeared in AEW
Miyu Yamashita: Pink Striker. kicks really hard and has a serious demeaner. Probably the companies best wrestler
Maki Itoh: Fallen Idol. Really loud, charismatic, and obscene. Looking to finally capture the major singles championship
Shoko Nakajima: Big Kaiju. Really agile and has great mat work, dresses like Princess Mononoke and likes Godzilla a whole lot

Champions
Princess of Princess | Mizuki: Main champion, looks and wrestles a lot like Riho because they were both trained by Emi Sakura and Mizuki designs both their gear
International Princess | Rika Tatsumi: Secondary title held by the White Dragon who's fairly normal, good wrestler and likes to use her "Diamond butt" in offense
Tag Team Champions | Currently vacant, held by Mizuki & Yuka Sakazaki most recently but Yuka got signed by AEW & is currently injured

Up Up Girls - Their idol group, performs songs before almost every show but outside of that don't team together often
Miu Watanabe: Loves pink, idols, and pro wrestling. Extremely strong and likes big swings, fighting against Nyla Rose in what might be motn
Raku: Sleepy girl in yellow, kind of a bad wrestler but really endearing. Puts opponents to sleep and attempts to pin them, teaming with Aja Kong with her pseudo motherly figure
Hikari Noa: Kind of punk-ish in Dark Blue, really likes death match wrestling and wrestles kind of a brawler style. Is only in the up up girls because she failed the test to become a DDT wrestler

NEO Biishiki-gun - Multiverse versions of Mei Suruga & Saki Akai who are TJPW's only real heels. Dress like fancy French people and cheat to win a lot.

Other girls of note
Yuki Aino: Former ring announcer turned wrestler, kind of wrestles like a steiner brother but less unhinged, She's also incredibly strong for her small size
HYPER Misao: Dresses like a super hero but cheats a whole lot, she's probably the only time you'd need context or translators because she tends to talk a lot and make weird match stipulations
Yuki Kamifuku: aka Kamiyu. Spent high school years in America and gets posted in the social media thread a lot because she poo poo-posts constantly. Very tall and lanky
Pom Harajuku: Basically a jobber who Max the Impaler is obsessed with. Not a great wrestler and likes shin-based offense
Suzume: Dresses like a bee, probably their next up and coming singles star
Yuki Arai: An actual idol from one of those AKB-48 type groups but has gotten very good at wrestling in a short amount of time

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

:tipshat:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

That Lufisto matchup is pretty spicy

https://twitter.com/ScottEWrestling/status/1676627285628055557?s=20

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Your otherwise well crafted list appears to be missing:
- The protagonist of professional wrestling Mahiro Kiryu, went to Tokyo university with her tag partner Kamiyu, apologises a lot. Was the star of the recent Hyper Misao Produce show
- Juria Nagano, karate girl, tik tok star and registered nurse. Has been out since January with a hand injury but is coming back at Summer Sun
- Generational rivals Arisu Endo and Moka Miyamoto, who lose a lot unless they're up against the current batch of rookies but I love them all the same

Also there are two other members of the Up Up Girls:
- Shino wears green and debuted at the beginning of the year, is a tour guide iirc but otherwise she hasn't really hooked me like Miu or Raku
- Uta is 16 and hasn't debuted yet, was only introduced to the audience at the beginning of June

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i decided to ignore everyone and started watching the 1/4 show and "Lol" at this shoko vs hyper misao match. thanks.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

- Generational rivals Arisu Endo and Moka Miyamoto, who lose a lot unless they're up against the current batch of rookies but I love them all the same

Moka Miyamoto is, of course, in two of my favorite tag teams: Karate Girls (w/ Juria Nagano) and My Favorite Midcarders (w/ Kaya Toribami)

yea ok posted:

i decided to ignore everyone and started watching the 1/4 show and "Lol" at this shoko vs hyper misao match. thanks.

the shoko/hyper misao 1.4 match is a tradition.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

How come Miu Watanabe does all these power spots but then her finisher is a flap jack lol.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Miu's pendulum backbreaker is a thing of beauty

karmicknight posted:

Moka Miyamoto is, of course, in two of my favorite tag teams: Karate Girls (w/ Juria Nagano) and My Favorite Midcarders (w/ Kaya Toribami)

What about her team with Yuki Arai, Rival Schools: United by Fate

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I do love a good team of rivals.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Link me the entrance theme of the Yuki Arai/Saki Akai team Reiwa AA Cannon, immediately. Thank you.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

yea ok posted:

Link me the entrance theme of the Yuki Arai/Saki Akai team Reiwa AA Cannon, immediately. Thank you.

Iirc they just used Akai's theme.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

yea ok posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtBPPr_GVUg

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Lmfao hell yes. No wonder it ruled so much. Gwen Ftw.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

yea ok posted:

Lmfao hell yes. No wonder it ruled so much. Gwen Ftw.

apparently saki akai dosent actually know the name of the song and just calls it "tik tok" which is really funny to me

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Senerio posted:

Iirc they just used Akai's theme.

Ah yes, my favourite song "Tick Tock"

e: IRA :argh:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

at some point i need to comission maki itoh dressed as the 'ra so that my name acronym makes sense with my actual username

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
you missed the peak of theme songs when Kamiyu came out to old macdonald had a farm

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

yea ok posted:

How come Miu Watanabe does all these power spots but then her finisher is a flap jack lol.

I agree, she should get something new.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Lotta words posted about TJPW and not one of them about Kaya Toribami, the stuntwoman who loves cassowaries.

Shameful.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Power Windows posted:

Lotta words posted about TJPW and not one of them about Kaya Toribami, the stuntwoman who loves cassowaries.

Shameful.

karmicknight posted:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The Hyper Misao vs. Shunma hardcore match on DDT Dramatic Explosion in 12/18/2021 is a must watch to see how far she'll actually go (even beyond her Shoko matches)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ItohRespectArmy posted:

I will always believe in Maki Itoh :evilbuddy:

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

just try and loving stop me

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Tampa Bae posted:

Watch Grand Princess from March and Summer Sun Princess coming up in a day or two. Most of the wrestling is character based but there's not many long-running storylines to worry about. Wrestling is pretty formulaic but enjoyable and almost every card is just a grab bag of random matchups and teams so you can pick up on every wrestler just based off their costume and a one or two sentence summary.

Guests @ Summer Sun Princess
Aja Kong, Ryu Mizunami, Sawyer Wreck, ASUKA, Vert Vixen, Max the Impaler, & Nyla Rose

Wrestlers who appeared in AEW
Miyu Yamashita: Pink Striker. kicks really hard and has a serious demeaner. Probably the companies best wrestler
Maki Itoh: Fallen Idol. Really loud, charismatic, and obscene. Looking to finally capture the major singles championship
Shoko Nakajima: Big Kaiju. Really agile and has great mat work, dresses like Princess Mononoke and likes Godzilla a whole lot

Champions
Princess of Princess | Mizuki: Main champion, looks and wrestles a lot like Riho because they were both trained by Emi Sakura and Mizuki designs both their gear
International Princess | Rika Tatsumi: Secondary title held by the White Dragon who's fairly normal, good wrestler and likes to use her "Diamond butt" in offense
Tag Team Champions | Currently vacant, held by Mizuki & Yuka Sakazaki most recently but Yuka got signed by AEW & is currently injured

Some corrections/additional info to avoid confusion.

ASUKA in this case is not the same Asuka in WWE. This ASUKA is a freelancer that wrestles by the name VENY when doing anything that involves a Western audience, specifically to avoid this kind of confusion. In Japan, WWE's Asuka went by Kana, and only used the name Asuka when she went to the US. In Japan, freelancer ASUKA had been using the name first (the Kanji for writing her name is also different). ASUKA/VENY was also part of AEW's Women's Tournament in 2021. ASUKA/VENY also loving rules, which is another important thing to know.

MIZUKI has been on an AEW dark before during the same period of time she was out in America, where she wrestle Emi. Hikari Noa has technically worked an AEW gig before, as she was part of the AEW wrestling show held at Tokyo Game Show as part of the promtion for Fight Forever; she was a last minute replacement for AEW's Abadon, who was unable to go due to visa issues.

Yuka Sakazaki has been signed by AEW since 2019. Even before the pandemic, she was someone they always had trouble bringing over because of visa issues, and in general, was only a sporadic visitor to AEW because her status in TJPW meant she was used pretty often in the main even scene, so it was usually hard to bring her out unless AEW specifically requested her.

Two main things with Yuka: she announced not long ago that she would be leaving TJPW at the end of the year to focus on wrestling in the US (i.e. finally fulfilling her AEW contract). The reason why the tag tiles are vacant, is because recently, Yuka was flown out to the US by AEW, and then was immediately not cleared to wrestle by AEW's medical team, because apparently her neck is in a condition that if she were to wrestle, it could lead to serious injury. This injury was determined to be bad enough that even TJPW said she won't be able to wrestle until she's medically clear to do so, and forced her to drop the belt.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

yea ok posted:

whats a good point to jump in on tjpw to get a good idea of the current major players. i dont mind watching a bit of a back log. i know the "Stories" are basically just like, everyone wants to get better. cheer your faves on! i'm subbed to w-u. thanks for your help everyone.

Some of the lore/background stories in TJPW have been going on for years. In particular, MIZUKI vs Maki Itoh has been brewing since MIZUKI's debut back in 2017. Their upcoming match at SSP 23 got overshadowed a little by all the stuff happening with Yuka though.

If you want to get some extended info on the backgrounds of many of the wrestlers, check out NeoJoshizzle's channel. His video on Maki, The Fired Idol is one of the things that helped increase Maki's popularity outside of Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/@neojoshizzle/videos

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 5, 2023

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

SG Bamboo posted:

Your otherwise well crafted list appears to be missing:
- The protagonist of professional wrestling Mahiro Kiryu, went to Tokyo university with her tag partner Kamiyu, apologises a lot. Was the star of the recent Hyper Misao Produce show
- Juria Nagano, karate girl, tik tok star and registered nurse. Has been out since January with a hand injury but is coming back at Summer Sun

Also there are two other members of the Up Up Girls:
- Shino wears green and debuted at the beginning of the year, is a tour guide iirc but otherwise she hasn't really hooked me like Miu or Raku
- Uta is 16 and hasn't debuted yet, was only introduced to the audience at the beginning of June

Also missing Haruna Neko. She is a girl that is a cat. More or less lives in the undercard. I like her and her earnestness, but she also just sort of exists on the roster.

There's also a whole bunch of new rookies, which is good because they can fill out the undercard in general and help the mid-carders pick up wins to boost their status.

HIMAWARI, who was briefly in Actwres girl'Z. Tons of energy, charismatic, is a sunflower but looks like a taxi, has very very long hair. Probably the best of the current batch of rookies.

Wakana Uehara, who was the winner of a contest TJPW held to find a new member to join the roster, Dream on the Ring, which can be found on YouTube. She has a bit of a following on social media for either modeling stuff or her ability to eat ridiculous amounts of food. She has a lot of potential as she's been working on expanding her moveset.

Then there are the three newest rookies, Toga, Haru Kazashiro, and Runa Okubo. Toga looks to be positioned as more of a striker/powerhouse. Haru and Runa are literal children who graduated middle school not that long ago. Their matches usually see them paired with the more veteran members of the roster, where they pick up the bad habits of the adults, which is fun to see. They also have more sporadic appearances because as stated previously, literal children.

Also The Up Up Girls in TJPW is part of a larger set of Up Up Girls idol groups (there are three in total, with the other two being UP UP GIRLS kakkoKARI and UP UP GIRLS kakkoNIKI). The ones in TJPW, UP UP GIRLS kakko PROWRESTLING, was created from a partnership between the Up Up Girls and DDT. UUG Puro do interact with the rest of the UUG and participate in UUG performances (sometimes they perform in their gear, which is weird, and even weirder when they're performing with other members of the other UUG groups). Since the UUG are an actual thing outside of TJPW, this is why you don't see them participate in things like TJPW portrait/picture signings or have goods for sale on the TJPW site unless it involves them doing things directly with TJPW members (like tag team related goods, or the Idolmaster crossover thing).

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 6, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tampa Bae posted:

Raku: Sleepy girl in yellow, kind of a bad wrestler but really endearing.

also she likes trains (important)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tsukasa Fujimoto is returning on 30th July, albeit not permanently. There's a show where she lives in Gifu so she's appearing on that, I guess it's a warm-up for her actual return.

The joshi scene has been worse without her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

also she likes trains (important)

It is imperative that you catch what her Train of the Day is at the start of every TJPW show.

For those unfamiliar, Raku is unironically a train otaku. She even has a separate Twitter page just about trains, @uug_train_raku.

And lorewise she is also a god, and married to Ram Kaicho from Wrestling of Darkness 666.

She loves trains more than idols and possibly humanity itself.