Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

tiaz posted:

fwiw when I've run across their posting in other contexts it seems fine. like they get wound up in themselves about nukes and it's very difficult to dislodge them once they do, but that's all, not that I've made an exhaustive survey or anything
We all come from circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

People in this very forum were predicting back in 2015 that Hilary Clinton would destroy the world by implementing a No Fly Zone in Syria. Instead they got a guy who got impeached for trying to extort favors from Zelensky.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

psydude posted:

People in this very forum were predicting back in 2015 that Hilary Clinton would destroy the world by implementing a No Fly Zone in Syria. Instead they got a guy who got impeached for trying to extort favors from Zelensky.

Erm..... who? Ghole is probably the furthest right here and I certainly don't remember him making any kind of claim like that

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Erm..... who? Ghole is probably the furthest right here and I certainly don't remember him making any kind of claim like that

Specific names escape me, but recall that this forum had a pretty active Tankie/left-libertarian population back then that was kind of emblematic of the second Obama term. Once Trump happened and it became obvious that figures like Glen Greenwald were morally bankrupt, they largely stopped posting here.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Wasabi the J posted:

Russia blames Ukraine for MH17, too, I thought

My memory from when it happened is that they had four or five contradictory stories about how it totally wasn't their fault.

I'm not entirely sure what the average Russian thinks of that, but I believe the idea is to overwhelm the public with bullshit until all that's left are gut feelings roughly compliant with Putin's will.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

psydude posted:

I recall it being an idea floating around, that Hillary would stimulate the blind and mindless stimulus-response machine of Russia by an NFZ or something, and that as a result, nuclear armageddon would inevitably happen.

In this hypothetical alternate universe I suspect the result would have been fewer Russian air missions in Syria, or Wagner mysteriously gaining an air force. :v:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

psydude posted:

Specific names escape me, but recall that this forum had a pretty active Tankie/left-libertarian population back then that was kind of emblematic of the second Obama term. Once Trump happened and it became obvious that figures like Glen Greenwald were morally bankrupt, they largely stopped posting here.

Yeah, that's probably true. 2015 was a long time ago

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Lead out in cuffs posted:

My memory from when it happened is that they had four or five contradictory stories about how it totally wasn't their fault.

I'm not entirely sure what the average Russian thinks of that, but I believe the idea is to overwhelm the public with bullshit until all that's left are gut feelings roughly compliant with Putin's will.

My favorite was that a SU 25 intercepted and shot it down

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MrYenko posted:

If the residents of Coober Pedy are made in the same mold as the Australians that I’ve personally met, they would notice the disappearance of the pub immediately, and with furious anger.

Pretty sure the pub in Coober Pedy is underground so she'll be right.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Edit: nope, looks like fake news

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 5, 2023

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Definitely not me. I called it for Trump pretty early on.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1676560098250960899?s=20

Sorry, I don't think wartranslated is on Mastodon yet.

For the bird-free: Russian spectator comments on a trainload of T-55s: "Blyat, they're as ancient as mammoth crap!"

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Slashrat posted:

My impression was also that any plans for nuclear war always involved firing nukes at every potential adversary, not just the one that triggered the nuclear response. A nuclear exchange is not something you go into expecting to be capable of fighting off an enemy that isn't freshly nuked themselves afterwards, so everyone gets one just in case.

During the early days of SIOP in the early 1960s it was even more insane. If the Cuban missile crisis turned into a nuclear war (which could VERY easily have happened) China would have been nuked just because.

quote:

The National Security Archive commentary reports that Shoup asked USAF/SAC Commander Thomas Power "...what would happen if Beijing was not fighting; was there an option to leave Chinese targets out of the attack plan?" Power was reported to have said that he hoped no one would think of that "because it would really screw up the plan"—that is, the plan was supposed to be executed as a whole. Apparently, Shoup then observed that "any plan that kills millions of Chinese when it isn't even their war is not a good plan. This is not the American way."

SIOP-62 included the virtual obliteration of the tiny country of Albania because within its borders sat huge Soviet air-defense radar, which had to be taken out with high assurance. Power smiled at Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara and said with a mock straight face: "Well, Mr. Secretary, I hope you don't have any friends or relations in Albania, because we are just going to have to wipe it out."  McNamara was left with a "macabre, shallow, and horrifying" impression.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

From "The General and World War III" by Richard Rhodes in The New Yorker, June 11, 1995

quote:

LeMay acknowledged in retirement that Power was “a sadist”; Sagan quotes one of Power’s subordinate commanders who confirms that view:

quote:

A hard, cruel individual. . . . I would like to say this. I used to worry about General Power. I used to worry that General Power was not stable. I used to worry about the fact that he had control over so many weapons and weapon systems and could, under certain conditions, launch the force. Back in the days before we had real positive control, SAC had the power to do a lot of things, and it was in his hands, and he knew it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Last general officer the United States ever had without a college degree.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Too psychotic for LeMay? Promote this man and give him the ability to destroy humanity!

My God, AF generals in the cold war should have been locked up or shot for the good of the species.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here's a pretty good 15ish minutes on what the current war in Ukraine has to tell us about warfare now and in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4cdr4xbaqw

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I’m having trouble following the implication here. Sure, Power was a mad man. Okay.

However, he seems to be right? If you have a plan that nukes China and your scenario doesn’t involve nuking China then use a different plan. Don’t try to modify that other plan ‘on-the-fly’ to make it work because all the analysis isn’t going to apply and the results aren’t likely to be what you intend.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 5, 2023

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Murgos posted:

I’m having trouble following the implication here. Sure, Power was a mad man. Okay.

However, he seems to be right? If you have a plan that nukes China and your scenario doesn’t involve nuking China then use a different plan. Don’t try to modify that other plan ‘on-the-fly’ to make it work because all the analysis isn’t going to apply and the results aren’t likely to be what you intend.

Unless I am mistaken there was no "Don't Nuke China" plan. Every plan that involved tossing nukes out also had "Nuke China" as part of the plan, which is the what the other quoted is pointing out is hosed up.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Telsa Cola posted:

Unless I am mistaken there was no "Don't Nuke China" plan. Every plan that involved tossing nukes out also had "Nuke China" as part of the plan, which is the what the other quoted is pointing out is hosed up.

Yeah, there was only one SIOP active at a given time, is my understanding. No "just blow up this one country that hosed with us"-plan. Only a "destroy everyone who might theoretically gently caress with us and also a third-world country where I was served a bad burger once"-plan.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, there was only one SIOP active at a given time, is my understanding. No "just blow up this one country that hosed with us"-plan. Only a "destroy everyone who might theoretically gently caress with us and also a third-world country where I was served a bad burger once"-plan.

My understanding is that when most of your deterrent is bomber based and you think reliable comms will go early and your notice to launch for the bombers is basically long enough to say 'scramble' then the bombers are where the bombers are and they have one flightplan and that's it.

Once you have programmable ICBM fields and a reliable satellite based early warning system then you have 5 minutes to pick the response plan you want.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1676560098250960899?s=20

Sorry, I don't think wartranslated is on Mastodon yet.

For the bird-free: Russian spectator comments on a trainload of T-55s: "Blyat, they're as ancient as mammoth crap!"

Goddamn, if anyone smokes a KV-2 with a Javelin, I hope they catch it on their GoPro.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there really a scenario where Russias next door neighbors would survive a nuclear war with the USA?

On the other side, same goes for Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean. Even if they weren’t directly targeted, I would have assumed the amount of fallout crossing the border would be apocalyptic.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Fallout is pretty easily survivable. Its easy to defend against with procedure like water filtration and MOPP gear even in exaggerated video game level nuclear horror zones. The big problem for most of the worlds population will be clean drinking water and food in the following months, followed by the agricultural effects of nuclear winter in the following years.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Fallout is pretty easily survivable. Its easy to defend against with procedure like water filtration and MOPP gear even in exaggerated video game level nuclear horror zones. The big problem for most of the worlds population will be clean drinking water and food in the following months, followed by the agricultural effects of nuclear winter in the following years.
Yes, the famine would kill more than the nukes.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I legit think that Fallout 4 is way better than NV. Even Fallout 3 is better than "UPS Delivery Simulator".

I may have misunderstood the assignment

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Flyinglemur posted:

I legit think that Fallout 4 is way better than NV. Even Fallout 3 is better than "UPS Delivery Simulator".

No no no, the ranking goes NV > FO4 > FO3

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Flyinglemur posted:

These are bad words and you should feel bad for them. Of the ones that made the change to 3D NV is on top of the pile. I still rank 1&2 higher because I liked the overhead turn based RPG game play.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

bird food bathtub posted:

These are bad words and you should feel bad for them. Of the ones that made the change to 3D NV is on top of the pile. I still rank 1&2 higher because I liked the overhead turn based RPG game play.

I made a giant blinking Dickbutt in FO4. NV just had me running around doing errands. I think you now see how right I am.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CommieGIR posted:

No no no, the ranking goes NV > FO4 > FO3

Agreed on NV, but I’d put 3 above 4 as it had novelty of being first FPS in the series so had better sense of exploration. 4 was ok but the story was terrible with teleporting cylon terminators and a protagonist with the charisma of cardboard, & we went from NV’s compelling factions & companions, including an interesting take on the BoS, to the minutemen & maybe one good companion with the robot detective.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
NV was honestly pretty boring, both visually and from a gameplay prospective, I really never understood the hype.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah, and I think from that list, only Canada might have its poo poo together enough to ride out the hellish societal effects of having your food, water and air poisoned simultaneously.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A lot of goons bounced on four, with not terrible reasons, but I think they miss that for the children and teens that Bethesda was actually targeting the base building and freeroaming aspects are probably very appealing. If I had been younger when the game released, with significantly more free time, I'm sure I'd have spent dozens of hours playing it.

NV is the goat, 2 is the real overrated game in the franchise. Yeah it's got a lot of content, and most of it is terrible, filled with god awful Clinton era jokes and lovely pop culture Family Guyesque references.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Flyinglemur posted:

You deserve your own line entry in the SIOP for that opinion

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Gaius Marius posted:

A lot of goons bounced on four, with not terrible reasons, but I think they miss that for the children and teens that Bethesda was actually targeting the base building and freeroaming aspects are probably very appealing. If I had been younger when the game released, with significantly more free time, I'm sure I'd have spent dozens of hours playing it.

NV is the goat, 2 is the real overrated game in the franchise. Yeah it's got a lot of content, and most of it is terrible, filled with god awful Clinton era jokes and lovely pop culture Family Guyesque references.

I just thought 4 sucked because the enemies were spongy as hell. You can't tell me the kids and teens love that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, and I think from that list, only Canada might have its poo poo together enough to ride out the hellish societal effects of having your food, water and air poisoned simultaneously.

I wouldn’t bet on it!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Vengarr posted:

I'm Canadian and I'm not seeing this at all. The past 30 years of neoliberal bullshit have badly degraded our capacity for food security as well as the social safety nets that need to be in place to ensure that people get what they need. Some areas in Canada might be ok-ish, at least for a little while, but in the aftermath of a civilization-level trauma like a nuclear exchange there's nothing to say that those areas aren't quickly annexed by regional powers in the ruins of the northern US.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

spankmeister posted:

You deserve your own line entry in the SIOP for that opinion

I know what SIOP is, but uh maybe explain for everyone else.

All THOSE idiots

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Flyinglemur posted:

I know what SIOP is, but uh maybe explain for everyone else.

All THOSE idiots

Single Integrated Operational Plan, the big list of everything that needed vaporizing, by which weapons, in which order if the Cold War turned hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If the US is getting nuked, so is Canada.