Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Paradoxish posted:

Interstellar was a crappy movie that still has one of the best depictions of what a slow collapse is probably going to look like for rich western countries. Food is going to end up being a much bigger issue much sooner than a lot of people expect.

Went back home for the 4th to suburban PA on the boarder of rural PA. My sister commented that the corn seemed like it wasn't coming in as well as it used to, and my parents agreed. Seems like it gets a little worse every year, in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

Interstellar was a crappy movie that still has one of the best depictions of what a slow collapse is probably going to look like for rich western countries. Food is going to end up being a much bigger issue much sooner than a lot of people expect.

maybe they'll notice when bread loaves start costing twice as much and shrink by 30%

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

It's accurate but there were some unspecified large scale collapse events the movie barely referenced. They had a world war and/or breakdown of society to the point where they had lost advanced medical technologies like MRIs until they reformed as a corn based anti-intellectual new normal in slow decline.

I assume it was some kind of global depression and famines in the time between complete failure of the established normal and settling into the newer lovely normal.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it's now

shrinkflation, rationing of healthcare, failing infrastructure, increased migrations of people, unusual weather patterns, water rights battles, etc.

it's just more of that, until ...? probably war, and we know how that goes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

quiggy posted:

Went back home for the 4th to suburban PA on the boarder of rural PA. My sister commented that the corn seemed like it wasn't coming in as well as it used to, and my parents agreed. Seems like it gets a little worse every year, in fact.

much like a the massive decline of insects, no one is going to notice until we are like wait we’re producing 80% less than we did in the 90s

and oh we have no polllinators anymore

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

it's now

shrinkflation, rationing of healthcare, failing infrastructure, increased migrations of people, unusual weather patterns, water rights battles, etc.

it's just more of that, until ...? probably war, and we know how that goes

Hell yeah we know how war goes :patriot: woohoo go red wine and blue

...Hey c'mon stop looking at me like I'm some kind of monster. You some kind of doomer?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

hell yeah i'm an accelerationist

accelerate to america WHOOPING YOUR rear end

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Been thinking a lot about how we are going to destroy the northern hemisphere. I hope the global south successfully establishes an Antarchto-Communist utopia

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

hell yeah i'm an accelerationist

accelerate to america WHOOPING YOUR rear end

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xaris posted:

much like a the massive decline of insects, no one is going to notice until we are like wait we’re producing 80% less than we did in the 90s

and oh we have no polllinators anymore

I remember in the 90s when any trip over a few hours in length on the highway necessitated focused bugwashing on the windshield. My parents taught me how to get the front grille too without scratching any paint.

It's now notable if I hit bugs at all :smith:

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

I just had ants get into my kitchen through the air conditioner so personally I say kill em all

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
We could never win a war against ants without scouring the surface of all life, and maybe not even then.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

just a few years ago driving around in the summer meant my car was covered in lovebug gore, haven’t seen one this year

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Microplastics posted:

Greenhouse Gaslighting

There I invented the term for it

gasgaslighting

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ELTON JOHN posted:

ive been waiting for the phrase "multiple breadbasket failure" to start making it into headlines

I was specifically instructed not to put all my eggs in one basket because of this risk, and now I learn the number of baskets is irrelevant??

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Microplastics posted:

I was specifically instructed not to put all my eggs in one basket because of this risk, and now I learn the number of baskets is irrelevant??

eggbaskets work differently, your'e fine don't worry

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

RandolphCarter posted:

just a few years ago driving around in the summer meant my car was covered in lovebug gore, haven’t seen one this year

Even leaving aside land use change, pollution, pesticides etc , we’ve been obliterating bugs by the billions for decades just in the mechanical action of smashing them with our millions of vehicles. Just holocausting them.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Rapacity posted:

Even leaving aside land use change, pollution, pesticides etc , we’ve been obliterating bugs by the billions for decades just in the mechanical action of smashing them with our millions of vehicles. Just holocausting them.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

lizard people are real and they are eating our bugs

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rapacity posted:

Bugs have incredible reproduction rates and mechanically murdering them with our windshields - even considering the sheer number of those windshields - is basically nothing. Just nothing

A single bird can do as much damage

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Microplastics posted:

That's why we need more wind turbines, to save the bugs

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Microplastics posted:

Bugs have incredible reproduction rates and mechanically murdering them with our windshields - even considering the sheer number of those windshields - is basically nothing. Just nothing

good thing we're also changing the climate too fast for them to adapt to, are killing all the birds too, and are destroying their natural habitats

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

2021 was weird because I drove east-west across the country in the middle of July and didn’t have to clean any bugs

drove south-north and back from the border to northern Nevada in may and had to clean multiple times

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I'd appreciate it if you all stopped telling people we're doomed. I need everyone else in critical industries to continue working so I can enjoy still getting on the internet while the world burns. Tia.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Rapacity posted:

it's what they get for essentially jaywalking tbh

the roads belong to cars. it's the law

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Just a Moron posted:

I'd appreciate it if you all stopped telling people we're doomed. I need everyone else in critical industries to continue working so I can enjoy still getting on the internet while the world burns. Tia.

those feeding the beast will continue receiving fossil fuel treats until the world’s a cinder

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Thank God, treats is all I have

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

The hottest place in Canada yesterday was Kuujjuaq, in far northern Quebec. 34.1 C = 93.4 F Inuvik, North West Territory on the other side of the country was almost as hot. Not good news for anyone hoping for progress fighting fires.

https://euro.dayfr.com/local/472078.html

The world set a new record on July 4 of 17.18 (63 F) degrees. This shattered the record that was set the day before of 17.01 degrees.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/05/world/hottest-day-world-climate-el-nino-intl/index.html

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Zeta Taskforce posted:

The hottest place in Canada yesterday was Kuujjuaq, in far northern Quebec. 34.1 C = 93.4 F Inuvik, North West Territory on the other side of the country was almost as hot. Not good news for anyone hoping for progress fighting fires.

https://euro.dayfr.com/local/472078.html

The world set a new record on July 4 of 17.18 (63 F) degrees. This shattered the record that was set the day before of 17.01 degrees.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/05/world/hottest-day-world-climate-el-nino-intl/index.html

Gaia kept the surprise for the best temperature until America's birthday, like a true patriot.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
if humans and our associated organisms' biomass (livestock etc.) die in significant enough numbers over a short enough time window, do we contain enough carbon for our collective corpses to significantly contribute to atmospheric carbon levels?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

stumblebum posted:

if humans and our associated organisms' biomass (livestock etc.) die in significant enough numbers over a short enough time window, do we contain enough carbon for our collective corpses to significantly contribute to atmospheric carbon levels?

The death fart of our civilisation, dooming everything that escaped our wrath until now.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
[Biosphere Collapse] our data shows a big wet fart and then nothing

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

stumblebum posted:

We have about 550 billion tons of living things on earth. 0.47% of that is animals, 0.01% of that is all humans. Our livestock is about 100 million tons of carbon and we are about 60 million tons of carbon.

We emit about 35 billion tons of carbon per year. About 96 million tons per day. So if every cow, chicken, pig, etc were vaporized and added directly to the atmosphere as carbon, it would be about the same as one day of human-caused emissions. Add humanity to that and you'd be at like, 35 hours of our ordinary emissions.

Now how does that stack up for the atmosphere? Natural carbon emissions are like, 750 billion tons per year.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I especially like the little crinkling treats with the satisfying snap as you bite into one. I broke a tooth on one, likely because of a lack of vitamin d and niacin in our diets as nutrient uptake in produce declines with rising heat. They're the best.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
what are some good baby names?
Hope?
Sylvester and Collier?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

OIL PANIC posted:

Hope?
Sylvester and Collier?

Bloodbag

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

OIL PANIC posted:

Hope?
Sylvester and Collier?

We're going to return to the era of forgoing names until their first birthday so you got plenty of time.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

OIL PANIC posted:

Hope?
Sylvester and Collier?

Paintjob
Chromegoblin
Slank Gas

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1676632703943458817?s=20

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Too far into this page without a graph.

Gather round got a graph here!

https://twitter.com/BMcNoldy/status/1676298166797479937?s=20

You like that? :sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Too far into this page without a graph.

Gather round got a graph here!

https://twitter.com/BMcNoldy/status/1676298166797479937?s=20

You like that? :sickos:

All the whores and politicians will look up and say save us, and I'll look down and whisper "here's a graph"