Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Been listening to the tournament episodes and loving 2004, man. Craig Krenzel in 6 games had a 46.5% completion rate, threw 3 TDs, 6 picks, and lost 8 fumbles. Jonathan Quinn in 3 games had 1 TD, 3 picks, 2 fumbles, and averaged less than 138 passing yards per game. Chad Hutchinson was the best QB that year with 4 TDs, 3 INTs, and also 8 fumbles lost. The Bears had 9 passing touchdowns the entire season and 35 fumbles.

The spectrum of Bears quarterback play is so broken that a situation like 2004 was almost serene to me. Like, there's a sense of peace in removing even the tiniest sliver of hope that the QB play is going to be any good and you can just watch with ironic detachment as you hope Craig Krenzel somehow Mr. Magoos his way into leading the team to victory.

The real soul-crushing poo poo is when you spend 3-5 years watching a guy who obviously sucks but he's The QB Of The Future (For Now) so you have to squint and hunt for anything that looks even remotely promising to sell yourself on. All "Well he had that one good game against the Lions so who knows, maybe he can still put it together"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

xbilkis posted:

The spectrum of Bears quarterback play is so broken that a situation like 2004 was almost serene to me. Like, there's a sense of peace in removing even the tiniest sliver of hope that the QB play is going to be any good and you can just watch with ironic detachment as you hope Craig Krenzel somehow Mr. Magoos his way into leading the team to victory.

The real soul-crushing poo poo is when you spend 3-5 years watching a guy who obviously sucks but he's The QB Of The Future (For Now) so you have to squint and hunt for anything that looks even remotely promising to sell yourself on. All "Well he had that one good game against the Lions so who knows, maybe he can still put it together"

It's why that rant about Rex was so cathartic, just like a blunt laying out of all the chances at QB's the Bears missed before their superbowl year because they were waiting on this loving rear end in a top hat to stay healthy enough to know how much he sucks.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Sataere posted:

Losing Tommie Harris hurt more than Mike Brown, although Danieal Manning blowing coverage and allowing a touchdown definitely hurt.

Yeah, he was at his peak when that injury happened and missed the whole postseason.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Been listening to the tournament episodes and loving 2004, man. Craig Krenzel in 6 games had a 46.5% completion rate, threw 3 TDs, 6 picks, and lost 8 fumbles. Jonathan Quinn in 3 games had 1 TD, 3 picks, 2 fumbles, and averaged less than 138 passing yards per game. Chad Hutchinson was the best QB that year with 4 TDs, 3 INTs, and also 8 fumbles lost. The Bears had 9 passing touchdowns the entire season and 35 fumbles.

As horrific as that offense was, the season was still kinda fun just because the defense took a step forward with Lovie's arrival and the new talent on that side of the ball. They even won a game without a single offensive touchdown on the strength of a defensive INT, special teams TD, and an overtime safety.

Ummagumma fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 26, 2023

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Here are Craig Krenzel's stats in the Bears' WINS that season:

Game 7: 13/25, 168 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 5 sacks, 1 fumble
Game 8: 8/21, 144 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 5 sacks, 2 fumbles
Game 9: 10/28, 116 yds, 0 TD, 2 INT, 5 sacks, 2 fumbles

How did they win ANY of those games? :psyduck:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Dexo posted:

It's why that rant about Rex was so cathartic, just like a blunt laying out of all the chances at QB's the Bears missed before their superbowl year because they were waiting on this loving rear end in a top hat to stay healthy enough to know how much he sucks.

I finally listened to the trubs vs rex and felt actual physical pain when I was reminded that Rex's injury in '04 had them pass on both rookie Rodgers or vet Kurt Warner in '05. But thankfully i was back to numbness when reminded about Brees being passed over too

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

trevorreznik posted:

I finally listened to the trubs vs rex and felt actual physical pain when I was reminded that Rex's injury in '04 had them pass on both rookie Rodgers or vet Kurt Warner in '05. But thankfully i was back to numbness when reminded about Brees being passed over too

Rodgers at least needed to like completely rework his mechanics, but yeah, being reminded of Kurt Warner loving hurt.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Ummagumma posted:

Yeah, he was at his peak when that injury happened and missed the whole postseason.

As horrific as that offense was, the season was still kinda fun just because the defense took a step forward with Lovie's arrival and the new talent on that side of the ball. They even won a game without a single offensive touchdown on the strength of a defensive INT, special teams TD, and an overtime safety.

They were just preparing themselves for the showdown in the desert when rex showed his true colors. 4 ints and 2 fumbles for Rex. No offesive touchdowns. Time of possession 20:17.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Dexo posted:

Rodgers at least needed to like completely rework his mechanics, but yeah, being reminded of Kurt Warner loving hurt.

Yeah passing on Rodgers is the same as passing on Mahomes , they'd probably have both sucked here. But Watson/warner would have won Superbowls with the peak defenses

But broken down vet QBs is a bears tradition!! They could have actually lucked out after rolling out jim miller, Shane Matthews, kordell Stewart, Chris Chandler! Perfect time to make the wrong choice on youth movement

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Bears did Slash dirty.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Kursed Warner

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Read the thread title as nfc north: tire fire for over a decade so my brain knows what’s up

:hmmyes:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If the Lions had something resembling even a middling defense between 1988-1999, they could’ve put the ghost of Bobby Layne under center and won a minimum of 2 rings with how Barry played.

But nope.

Barry was asked to shoulder the entirety of the offensive load for a decade and the ownership and front office never even considered improving the trenches or QB position.

They tried with Scott Mitchell and it worked for one season (1995), but until Stafford showed up, the Lions QB room was a tire fire of totally apathetic proportions.

And then Stafford had the 2nd best defense in 2014, but the 28th best rushing offense, and the Lions one dimensional offense got exposed dramatically come the playoffs that year.

Bill Ford Jr. was truly such a pox on the organization for decades. Seemingly every other coaching or corporate hiring decision was because of friendship/nepotism and less to do with actual career football results.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Gonz posted:

Bill Ford Jr. was truly such a pox on the organization for decades. Seemingly every other coaching or corporate hiring decision was because of friendship/nepotism and less to do with actual career football results.

This is exactly how the auto company was run forever as well and Jesus Christ it was a poo poo show

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm slowly going through this 3-part podcast and I had totally forgotten about Kellen Davis. He had like a 30% drop rate for his entire Bears career.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1674175572296048640

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sorry Atlanta.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gonz posted:

Bill Ford Jr. was truly such a pox on the organization for decades.

Bill Ford Sr. :eng101: Jr's had very little to do with the team beyond saying Millen should've been fired.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

How the gently caress is a guy who traded up for Trubisky ever hired anywhere as a scout

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

How the gently caress is a guy who traded up for Trubisky ever hired anywhere as a scout

NFL front offices (and coaching staffs) are incredibly incestuous. Like, even after he proved he was completely unmatched and got fired by the Bears, the Chiefs immediately scooped Matt Nagy back up to hold Andy Reid's clipboard for him. Scott Pioli ran Kansas City into the ground and then spent five years as Atlanta's assistant GM.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 29, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol.

lmao.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

This is exactly how the auto company was run forever as well and Jesus Christ it was a poo poo show

Long-absent Lions poster Neodoomium once posited that the Fords bought the Lions in the 60s specifically to distract WCF from the car company so he couldn't gently caress the latter up. Mission accomplished I guess.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Lol that actually shows up in a Quora post about the Lions too.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Timby posted:

NFL front offices (and coaching staffs) are incredibly incestuous. Like, even after he proved he was completely unmatched and got fired by the Bears, the Chiefs immediately scooped Matt Nagy back up to hold Andy Reid's clipboard for him. Scott Pioli ran Kansas City into the ground and then spent five years as Atlanta's assistant GM.

Doesn't Mahomes love Nagy? So I assume he was doing something there. I mean, they did win a Super Bowl.

It is possible for guys to be good at one role but be bad at the all-encompassing job of head coaching. I have no explanation for how Poles made it back to the top of another franchise, though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Timby posted:

Being a bad head coach doesn’t mean Nagy is bad at everything. Getting hired back to your old job where you were well liked and generally successful isn’t incestuous, that’s just common sense.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Nagy I think will be a good head coach someday.

Nagy's problem was that he was so rigid, and inflexible about what he wanted his system to be.

Also I think Mitch completely broke his brain.

But yeah it's the peter principle generally.

Ryan Pace is probably a pretty good scout. But not every good scout is someone who you want to synthesize all the data, information and opinions by other scouts into a final pick.

Like I could definitely see looking at Mitch how a scout could look at that dope and think, wow he has all the physical tools, I believe that with proper coaching he could be a star, sure other players have shown they could be a star, but they didn't have our staff working with them etc etc.

Edit: Also look at his car. And that he used some bears reference for the reservation

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 29, 2023

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Bill Ford Sr. :eng101: Jr's had very little to do with the team beyond saying Millen should've been fired.

Ah yeah, Senior. Not Junior. Brainfart on my part.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Long-absent Lions poster Neodoomium once posited that the Fords bought the Lions in the 60s specifically to distract WCF from the car company so he couldn't gently caress the latter up. Mission accomplished I guess.

The Fords bought the Lions on November 22nd, 1963.

Probably when everyone else was distracted by events unfolding in the streets of Dallas, Texas.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

C-Euro posted:

Parallelwoody posted:

Lol that actually shows up in a Quora post about the Lions too.

Yeah this wasn't invented by him, long term Lions fans have said that for years. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

Nagy I think will be a good head coach someday.

Nagy's problem was that he was so rigid, and inflexible about what he wanted his system to be.

Also I think Mitch completely broke his brain.

But yeah it's the peter principle generally.

Ryan Pace is probably a pretty good scout. But not every good scout is someone who you want to synthesize all the data, information and opinions by other scouts into a final pick.

Like I could definitely see looking at Mitch how a scout could look at that dope and think, wow he has all the physical tools, I believe that with proper coaching he could be a star, sure other players have shown they could be a star, but they didn't have our staff working with them etc etc.

Edit: Also look at his car. And that he used some bears reference for the reservation

Nagy was cursed with success his first year and thought he was much closer than he actually was because Parkey and Mitch

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Dexo posted:

Ryan Pace is probably a pretty good scout.

I disagree based on the evidence that the rosters loving sucked under him and he had to buy all of his star players, and the only reason any of his teams looked halfway decent ever was the Fangio Effect and a really high turnover rate

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

GNU Order posted:

I disagree based on the evidence that the rosters loving sucked under him and he had to buy all of his star players, and the only reason any of his teams looked halfway decent ever was the Fangio Effect and a really high turnover rate

He was okay in free agency with guys who were already pros. The fact that he is director of player personnel means he ain't scouting prospects, hurt guys with NFL tape.

Also, lol at hiring Pace.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/HawksMaine/status/1675869914404454402

drat Mooney got yolked.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37952898/how-bears-gm-ryan-poles-was-influenced-chiefs-rebuild

Good puff piece on Poles

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
found ur tweetter
https://twitter.com/jpeezer/status/1675890480377380864?s=20

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Accusing another poster of being a blue check is the meanest personal attack ever leveled in this thread

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

yeah, I would die before paying for twitter blue lol.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Can't be Dexo, that tweet has nothing to do with Kyle Orton.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Mooney getting jacked because he knows DJ Moore is going to get the targets. Time to be Chicago's Hines Ward and run block baby

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Here are Craig Krenzel's stats in the Bears' WINS that season:

Game 7: 13/25, 168 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 5 sacks, 1 fumble
Game 8: 8/21, 144 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 5 sacks, 2 fumbles
Game 9: 10/28, 116 yds, 0 TD, 2 INT, 5 sacks, 2 fumbles

How did they win ANY of those games? :psyduck:

Did Mike Brown have multiple walk-off pick-6's that year? Or were they more spread out across years?

Also when did Traylor ruuuumbllllllle for 70~ yards, that was still in the Jauron era maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

kalensc posted:

Did Mike Brown have multiple walk-off pick-6's that year? Or were they more spread out across years?

Also when did Traylor ruuuumbllllllle for 70~ yards, that was still in the Jauron era maybe?
That was all 01

The two Mike Brown tds were both in OT in back to back weeks
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200110280chi.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200111040chi.htm

Traylor should have had better blocking from his teammates, last game of season
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200201060chi.htm
A-Train went off for 160 in that game, wow

I always think it's '01 that Marcus Robinson had the bears single season record receiving year, but no. That was 99 when he had 88 catches for 1400!!! yards. I remember nothing but bubble screens but apparently he had a ton of deep jump balls too.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 5, 2023