Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

ChickenHeart posted:

It literally just adds an orange cat in the periphery of the various rooms you visit on the Not-Sulaco

Buddy, I'm looking for reasons NOT to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
idk how but despite the fact it was supposed to be a preorder freebie, if you bought the game in the first week of its release you got it for free anyway too

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

ChickenHeart posted:

It literally just adds an orange cat in the periphery of the various rooms you visit on the Not-Sulaco

Perfection

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
gently caress, this game is GOOD.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Xenomrph posted:

I’m not sure that it’s what they do the “most”, but it’s definitely something they do in both the old and new Alien RPGs.

The "modified" version of the Marine corps anthem in the Tech Manual certainly suggested it was common ("First to fight the distant corporate wars, Spill our blood for a sheaf of green!")

Icon Of Sin posted:

I still haven’t hung around to see the hive get enraged yet, as soon as the alien difficulty gets halfway into medium I’m looking for an exit. Usually by that point everyone is stressed to hell anyways, they’ve been thinking about surviving aliens for too long :v:

To be fair from watching gameplay videos I'd think I'D be personally stressed after long enough running a mission, they did amazing work with the lighting/motion tracker to add tension even from a top down "removed" perspective (I love that the Marines direct their lights based on where you point the mouse too).

HiroProtagonist posted:

Thinking About Aliens (dusting off and nuking the site from orbit)

Say this for Dark Descent, that is pretty much how they solve the problem in the end, it's just that the "dusting off" before YOU get included in the nuking is the big issue you spend the game trying to solve.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Game is hard. I feel I've been pushing my dudes a bit too far, but even on normal and with resting if you get caught in the wrong place unprepared you get absolutely reamed. The aliens are scary because sure my dudes can blast this one drone, or these two drones, but doing so alerts 4 more, and I kill them and suddenly the whole hive is on me and suddenly all my guys are stressed and panicking and running out of ammo and WHAT IS THAT THING oh never mind I'm dead.

I love it.

I'm trying to stick to slowdown mode on PS5 on normal, but for the harder difficulty levels I'm absolutely going to need to swap to the full pause option just so there's time to shoulder button through menus for all the special things. It handles very well with a controller, just there's a lot of UI to move through and not enough slow-mo when xenomorphs are right up your rear end.

Had a couple of small bugs. Got my first promotion options, and one dude had an option for sarge or hacker. Went to look at my other options on other troops, got excited to get my first gunner, and went back to the first guy and his choices were now medic or hacker.

God drat the game gets tense though. Wiped a couple of times, despite trying to lay down suppressing fire with the incinerators and falling back by squads to the APC. It's so cool how they've made returning to the same map fun, and the risk/reward in how far you push and how much it breaks your soldiers is going to be an interesting system to get to grips with.

Shame the story is a bit naff, but eh who cares. The presentation is superb.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ChickenHeart posted:

Yeah but it’s a cat, which automatically makes it worth the money regardless of the asking price

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah but it’s a cat, which automatically makes it worth the money regardless of the asking price

When I think about Aliens, it reminds me that this is true

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I picked up Dark Descent this arvo as well. Pretty cool game - I’ve only just started but it can get intense! I was deep inside a building and totally ran out of ammo and almost shat myself.

Only two real downsides so far:

1. The marines are ugly as gently caress. There are only two female faces that look remotely normal.

2. I’m trying to play it with a controller and navigating around the UI can be a bit frustrating.

I like the baby personnel carrier you get - have they always been part of the arsenal? Makes sense I guess if you have smaller squads.

edit: Oh and the alien AI can be kinda janky. They seem to prioritize rushing into the middle of your squad so that they can explode and cause the most damage possible.

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 1, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Red Rox posted:

1. The marines are ugly as gently caress. There are only two female faces that look remotely normal.

I always find this fascinating with 3D models for modern overhead games like this and some fighting games and stuff today. They're like, REALLY not meant to be looked at too up close or from too many angles off the beaten path from how the game's camera is placed for regular gameplay.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Neo Rasa posted:

I always find this fascinating with 3D models for modern overhead games like this and some fighting games and stuff today. They're like, REALLY not meant to be looked at too up close or from too many angles off the beaten path from how the game's camera is placed for regular gameplay.

Sure, it's like XCOM where every trooper is Guile.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I didn't think the character models were bad or anything, but you do see them up close in their stats screen or before and after a mission when they do the XCOM-style lineup.

Also, in XCOM 2 I actually liked how crusty the random troops could be with the DLC cosmetic options. You're picking up people from the wilderness who haven't been brainwashed by the aliens so I would expect them to be all types of weirdoes. Sure you can barely see that stuff during gameplay except when it does the cinematic angles, but it was still neat.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Had a couple of small bugs. Got my first promotion options, and one dude had an option for sarge or hacker. Went to look at my other options on other troops, got excited to get my first gunner, and went back to the first guy and his choices were now medic or hacker.

this is a feature imo. you can do something similar to reroll level up perks

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Red Rox posted:

I like the baby personnel carrier you get - have they always been part of the arsenal? Makes sense I guess if you have smaller squads.

the ARC is something new afaik, and yeah if you care to get fiddly with it, it will clear a map for you if you just send it around to all the spots.

the cheesy bit is setting 2-3 motion trackers near every parking spot to lure aliens over to get murked, which doesn't get you into Detected. however be mindful that if the transport runs into a deployable it'll destroy it, so pay attention to the pathing and place those out of its way

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Me diligently placing motion trackers everywhere only to find out that when I moved the vehicle to a newly-unlocked position, it runs over half of them

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Picked up Dark Descent and tutorial isn't grabbing me out the gate but I'll keep at it.

Finally picked up Fireteam Elite on the Steam Sale and it's a great take on the L4D coop hoarde shooter model.

My old college/USAF friends have been looking for something since Vermintide got a little stale and this seems like a good one, basic mechanics with some depth in how you barbie out your guy, and a theme we all really like with the sounds just right.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Picked up Dark Descent and tutorial isn't grabbing me out the gate but I'll keep at it.

The game become way more fun once you level up a couple marines. I love my Gunner she’s a badass.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Owlbear Camus posted:

My old college/USAF friends have been looking for something since Vermintide got a little stale and this seems like a good one, basic mechanics with some depth in how you barbie out your guy, and a theme we all really like with the sounds just right.

Also consider Darktide. They made some hilariously wrongheaded mistakes in the gearing-up meta, which seem mostly fixed by now. However, the core gameplay is amazing and the weapons just feel right, there's a favorite gun and melee choice for everyone.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Red Rox posted:

The game become way more fun once you level up a couple marines. I love my Gunner she’s a badass.

If one of your marines dies in this, are they dead permanently?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

MrMojok posted:

yep

only if the game tells you "killed" though. incapacitated marines can still be carried out although you'd better be close to the evac point for several reasons

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

MrMojok posted:

Yes.

Obviously it's best not to lose your best people, but you aren't totally screwed if you lose some. You get new recruits by rescuing certain people during missions, random expedition rewards, and the game gives you 4 recruits right before a forced deployment so you can deploy a full deck of characters no matter how many of yours are out of action (surprised they didn't let you deploy wounded characters like XCOM 2 does for a similar situation, given the influence this game took from it) but they start at level 1. At some point you also unlock the ability to passively train unused characters, and double that if you flag a character for intensive training but it takes some rest time after ceasing training before you can use them, so at least people you've never used won't necessarily be level 1.

Also, supposedly badly injured characters can have their limbs replaced with prosthetics and there's an achievement for having a marine with all four limbs replaced, but I don't know how that happens. I've had people badly mauled and I've had people who needed 10 days in the hospital after a mission but I've never had limbs lopped off or mangled.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I would guess (and this is a total guess) that getting mangled is a feature of higher difficulty levels maybe.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My guess was it happens if you have to carry a marine back to the evac zone or if they evaced with a lingering injury, which I never had to do. My 10 days in the hospital happened because I did a lategame mission Pharos Spire in one sortie and used many medkits, but they were still walking and functioning fine at the end.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-nMGtaAoXw

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea I’ve had marines that were well on the way to becoming Vader himself. Their prosthetics are brutally functional, nothing pretty about them (much like the things the marines already say to each other :v: )

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

I dismember xenos all the time, but I guess the chance is way lower for the marines. I think a queen dismembered one of my guys once, but then the rest of the squad wiped so I reloaded.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Which Colonial Marine do you most identify with?

I feel like Wierzbowski.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Vasquez, because I am never mistaken for a man.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yo!

or Vas, I love the smart gun too much.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Gorman, because I'm a huge gently caress up!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Drake, because I’ve had some dumb as gently caress moments in my life :laffo:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Dietrich, because i'd probably be a medic, and also someone you should never give a flamethrower to

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Ferro, I am always getting hosed over by my co-workers.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Frost, because I'll gently caress anything.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Frost, because I'll gently caress anything.

It don't matter if they're Arcturian.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Biplane posted:

Gorman, because I'm a huge gently caress up!

:same:

Cause I always was an rear end in a top hat

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm most like Bishop, a pacifist that gets poo poo done and is just looking for approval. I also tend to spray white goo all over the place from time to time.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

I'm Hudson. Capable and confident, until the poo poo hits the fan and I give up on life and blame everything else for my lovely situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fatrick posted:

I'm Hudson. Capable and confident, until the poo poo hits the fan and I give up on life and blame everything else for my lovely situation.