Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Halisnacks posted:

The more generic question is: following a long phase of web consolidation, might we be entering a phase of fragmentation? Or is there only one direction of travel and that’s further consolidation.

I think "Consolidation" was really just a bunch of forums dying and the appearance of some mega sites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Reddit. Similar to how there used to be a million e-commerce sites and now it's Amazon and hangers on like Overstock (excuse me, Bed Bath and Beyond) or niche businesses like Chewy (which is itself owned by PetSmart). Like ten years ago Reddit had a multi-day unavailability event and a bunch of Reddit-lite sites such as Hive got a huge popularity boost until Reddit was back, but then everyone just went back to Reddit because as bad as it was, it was familiar or had a better interface or more active community. A few years back a bunch of video game related YouTube channels tried to launch an alternative video platform called Normal Boots and got loving stomped within a few months because it turns out dudes who play old Nintendo games aren't going to pull in enough subscriptions to run a website and advertisers aren't throwing money at them to expand the way YouTube did. Launching competitors to major sites won't work in the long term because momentum is more important to these companies than anything else. You could solve all of Twitter's technical and content related problems today with an alternative site and still not be successful or even build up a userbase comparable. It sucks, but the reality is that the internet is anti-entropy, as much as people want to go off and do their own things there's always some way to buy out or imitate these smaller competitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Extra Large Marge posted:

Elon thinks he's a Cao Cao but he's totally a Dong Zhuo

That or Liu Bei's baby.

e: or Minister Wang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7JpXRNP3hk

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 5, 2023

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

gschmidl posted:

That or Liu Bei's baby.

Please, Liu Shan was way more talented than Elon can hope to be.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

TWITTER has been routed!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Tarkus posted:

Bluesky tweets should be called Blutes or Bloots

Bleets.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Nemo2342 posted:

Please, Liu Shan was way more talented than Elon can hope to be.

I meant "dropped on the head" but fair.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

"Twitter silently removes login requirement for viewing tweets"

https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/05/twitter-silently-removes-login-requirement-for-viewing-tweets/?guccounter=1

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

XYZAB posted:

Bleets.

Be right back, going to launch new social media platform Goatster

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
Glad he stopped all of the scraping. No one can read his HTML now.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Pookah posted:

I just looked up when this was officially reported, and it appears to have been at least 6 hours after I noticed after doing a random check.

Twitter makes a change this big and virtually no-one noticed for 6 hours; they are dead in the drat water,

I saw noise about this in tech circles this morning when people started noticing Twitter would load tweets anonymously if you set your user-agent to “googlebot”

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

I think "Consolidation" was really just a bunch of forums dying and the appearance of some mega sites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Reddit. Similar to how there used to be a million e-commerce sites and now it's Amazon and hangers on like Overstock (excuse me, Bed Bath and Beyond) or niche businesses like Chewy (which is itself owned by PetSmart). Like ten years ago Reddit had a multi-day unavailability event and a bunch of Reddit-lite sites such as Hive got a huge popularity boost until Reddit was back, but then everyone just went back to Reddit because as bad as it was, it was familiar or had a better interface or more active community. A few years back a bunch of video game related YouTube channels tried to launch an alternative video platform called Normal Boots and got loving stomped within a few months because it turns out dudes who play old Nintendo games aren't going to pull in enough subscriptions to run a website and advertisers aren't throwing money at them to expand the way YouTube did. Launching competitors to major sites won't work in the long term because momentum is more important to these companies than anything else. You could solve all of Twitter's technical and content related problems today with an alternative site and still not be successful or even build up a userbase comparable. It sucks, but the reality is that the internet is anti-entropy, as much as people want to go off and do their own things there's always some way to buy out or imitate these smaller competitors.

I agree with most of this, except:

quote:

the internet is anti-entropy

AOL. Buzzfeed. Geocities. MySpace. Yahoo.

Big things on the internet can die or otherwise be greatly diminished.

Now, I wouldn’t bet on any of the current mega sites dying in the next 10 years, but I also wouldn’t bet on them collectively retaining or growing market share over that period. And if they do - that’d be a pretty bleak 10 years to come, in my view.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
"Don't be trans, otherwise bigots like me won't hire you. INTERESTING!"

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1676636069083709455?s=20

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

E the Shaggy posted:

Guy is just such a loser. Just come out and say exactly what you mean you fuckin pussy.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

someone really should just smother him

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

with kisses!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so the account wall is down, but it seems like even nitter/lib redirect is still in the shitter from Musk dumb mess.

users should still be cscreen capping or copy pasting birdposts probably

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ben shapino posted:

ben shapino posted:

with kisses!

Preferably someone from Glasgow

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

ZeusCannon posted:

Tasting the thread and smacking my lips appreciatively

"Needs more gay"

You you want that gay taste, but like it on the spicy side, The LGBTQIA+ Pride Month LGBSTQIA+ Wrath Month Chat Thread might suit your palate.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

"interesting" says the CEO of the racist company
https://twitter.com/ethanbaron/status/1675950295279607808
https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/07/02/tesla-the-cars-that-racism-built-black-workers-claim-lawsuits-have-not-stopped-discrimination/

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

psyop. Not even a good one.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ben shapino posted:

Looking into it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

E the Shaggy posted:

I'll look into it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s so weird being here posting with fellow nerds who once were the vanguard of the technological brave new world, now grumbling like luddites about the snake oil salesmen hawking useless new gizmos and cheering their faceplanting failures.

I mean I am certainly convinced that I and we have a good handle on what is going on, certainly more so than the grifting AI cryptobros and dumb nazi-enabling VR fellating pundits, but every so often I have to step back and be all like “wait, am I just being old”

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t think the kids even use this poo poo

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

This won’t stop twitter from losing a large percentage of its user base tomorrow lol

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

SatansOnion posted:

you're forgetting the most important people of all: the advertisers, who are very, very Respectable and simply can't be seen anywhere near even the faintest whispers of ess-eee-ecks without nigh-fatal attacks of the vapors

the fits get even worse when they're obliged to consider the existence of the gee-eyy-whyy people and tee-arr-eyy-enn-ess folks

Advertising, noted for its refusal to use sex in any way.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

E the Shaggy posted:

hmm yes. shallow and pedantic.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Is there a thread for making fun of Threads yet? I know it's not released yet, but I don't see why that should stop anyone.

I've been using Twitter for years, and just not dealing with the shitheads, because I mostly follow people I know and comedy accounts, and don't read replies that much. But it's feeling like a wasteland now. Thanks Musk, you suck.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
so, let me guess, you create a new 'thread' by making a 'post' and, thusly, become the 'original poster' in that thread, while other 'posts' in that thread are known as 'replies'

or something equally stupid

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Withnail posted:

so, let me guess, you create a new 'thread' by making a 'post' and, thusly, become the 'original poster' in that thread, while other 'posts' in that thread are known as 'replies'

or something equally stupid

My guess: you add a 'fiber' (post) to a 'thread'. Trending topics are called 'fabrics' because they're comprised of multiple fibers and threads.

Or maybe they're just going to take a cue from Bluesky's skeets and just call their posts cumshots.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

a thread in threads is called a rope, for clarity, and when a rope goes viral resulting in a lot of threads quickly joining it's colloquially referred to as "blasting rope"

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

threadse.cx

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Threads is live for a lot of people now and it’s basically twitter. A lot of my Instagram follows are already using it. Twitter is hosed lmao

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wonder how long it'll be until Elon makes it illegal to mention or link to Threads

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Oh hell yeah I posted goatse on threads

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

DaveWoo posted:

Wonder how long it'll be until Elon makes it illegal to mention or link to Threads

Ban everyone using the thread emoji

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

DaveWoo posted:

surprised he hasn't already tbh, to protect his users from evil data scraping AI bots

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m in threads now but none of my friends are so it’s just a bunch of celebs and people I don’t know

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

https://www.threads.biz.tk/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Consummate Professional posted:

Oh hell yeah I posted goatse on threads
drat, I wonder if you're the first.