Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Veotax posted:

Mighty and Ray are 100% Sega characters, so there's nothing legally stopping them, other than if Sega doesn't want them in the 'Modern' era, since they've only been in classic style games. Which sounds like it might be the case, unfortunately.

In that case there should be no problem bringing back Marine and/or Sticks then (since Frontiers made the latter canon to the main universe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Dabir posted:

If they did Classic stories they could use them.

They actually already have. They featured prominently in the 30th anniversary issue IDW put out, which was set in the classic universe:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I could see them being DLC for Superstars like they were with Mania. Fang should be made playable as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I notice that Archie and Fleetway did a lot of game adaptions back in the day but that mandate seems to have been dropped for IDW (aside from that Frontiers prologue they did, I think Team Sonic Racing got its own special as well). All the same, I still want Sage to appear in the comic one day

In regards to Prime, I guess the last shard being back in the main dimension means there likely won’t be a fourth world starring Rouge after all. Too bad

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 5, 2023

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
It's hard to say actually, The Paradox Prism has some pretty complex gradation going on with its color scheme and could theoretically be split into anywhere from 4-8 pieces if we assume each piece is a different color.

Thus far we know the home dimension is yellow, New Yoke is red, Boscage Maze is green and No Place is blue but just looking at the above picture of the prism there could theoretically be purple/pink, cyan and grey pieces in addition to what we've seen so far. There was also that one seemingly uninhabited reality that Nine discovered, which could possibly not be as uninhabited as first thought. The fact that the Chaos Council has 5 members also seems to suggest that 5 might be the magic number of this series, which means that even if we count the original universe as one of those five we're still missing at least one universe with counterparts of the main cast left to see.

Either way, I'm hoping there's at least one or two more realities than what we've already seen since "Dystopian future, cavemen and pirates" seems like a bit of a limited selection.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I’m hoping for at least a few more worlds as well (I believe we’ve got two more parts left in the series counting the upcoming “season”)

Also interesting that there only seems to be one Sonic and Shadow (aside from the “Metal Sonic” shown in the trailer) and the only Eggmen around are the Chaos Council. I wonder if that will change eventually

Lastly I forget, is there a reason why Knuckles has two VAs in this series (the second one’s better in my opinion)? In Eggman's case it at least makes sense

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 5, 2023

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

For whatever reason, each reality features a new VA for Knuckles. I have no idea why they did this and just for Knuckles. Only thing I can think of is the original VA wasn’t able to manage the whole season at the last minute, so they ran with it and gave a new VA per world.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

For whatever reason, each reality features a new VA for Knuckles. I have no idea why they did this and just for Knuckles. Only thing I can think of is the original VA wasn’t able to manage the whole season at the last minute, so they ran with it and gave a new VA per world.

Also every subsequent voice sounds way better than the main dimension Knuckles

Edit: Looking it up its actually just two guys, Adam Nurada plays the main version of Knuckles and Vincent Tong plays his AU counterparts

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 5, 2023

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I could see them being DLC for Superstars like they were with Mania. Fang should be made playable as well.

The way the title screen looks so far really screams more characters will fill in some space. It's the first thing I thought with how Tails is in the back to one side like that, and there's nothing else to make it symmetrical like the rest.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh yeah, that is screaming out for a couple of extra characters.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I think all they need is a green character to complete their Super Sentai team.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think all they need is a green character to complete their Super Sentai team.

It's time for Bean's glorious return!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Isn't there some new girl named like Bucket Head or something that's most likely going to be that extra character?

I mean it should be Shadow but

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Chances Fang and Trip will be playable.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

MJeff posted:

I mean, they can use the Penders' characters if they really want to as well. They just gotta pay the guy.

Which, I dunno, I know they had an acrimonious split but also, I don't loving care that this guy pantsed your previous partner in court, SEGA, and you shouldn't either. Just pay him enough money to make his incredibly lovely Echidna fanfic and get your drat characters back.

So I had to consult the Thanks Ken Penders blog to make sure I wasn't misremembering, but the situation is a little more complicated than that. Initially Pender's terms for use of his characters included royalties (legal, mandatory) but also creative control over how they were depicted even if the writer was someone different (gently caress off). But at some point he must have eased up a little.

Anyway I bring this up because the way he phrased this is something.

"I'm so cool, you can turn one of my characters gay and I won't care!"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol no poo poo, they're completely different stories in completely different universe, dumbass.

Why did the one creator who actually won the rights to his work from a big corporation have to be such a fuckin' loser.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pants Donkey posted:

They redubbed the prime universe knuckles at the last minute to sound more like Idris Elba

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Am I the only one who, of all of Penders' OCs, really liked Sonic's parents? Well, mostly just Jules, I guess.

The issue where he confronts Scourge as he's trying to break into their house is a perfect explanation for why he's so bad rear end.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So if you get all the emeralds with Amy in Sonic 3 and Knuckles you don't get the notice that you can transform into super amy, but you can anyways. When you get all the super emeralds you get the super amy notification and now you can throw hammers with Y while transformed. it's weird.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also for some reason Amy doesn’t get her own title screen in Sonic 1 like Tails and Knuckles do

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Also for some reason Amy doesn’t get her own title screen in Sonic 1 like Tails and Knuckles do

It was either the game gear games or the graphics for AMY in Sonic The Hedgehog

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
An easy choice and they picked the wrong one

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hatty posted:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

hatty posted:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A weird and pretty minor thing, but a friend noticed that Sonic Origins is missing a turtle in Sky Chase zone:

Original:

(just grabbed screenshots from youtube videos to confirm)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

"Tails, get down we're posing for the new title screen emblem."

"What? Where's the camer-"*click*

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatAM is getting a complete series release this September it seems (despite the back cover describing the premise for AOSTH):

https://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Hedgeh...dvd%2Caps%2C103

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.
The sonic the hedgehog account on bluesky is pretty great.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Larryb posted:

SatAM is getting a complete series release this September it seems (despite the back cover describing the premise for AOSTH):

https://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Hedgeh...dvd%2Caps%2C103

That page says it was released in 2007, unless I'm missing something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That page says it was released in 2007, unless I'm missing something.

The page literally says “This item will be released on September 19, 2023“, I don’t see anything about 2007

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It looks like a different cover. But yeah, I for sure have a full series set somewhere from back then. It also had weird fan art looking cover and stuff too. It's the one that had all the interview extras with some of the staff that worked on the show and all that. I think they also had a commentary track somewhere where they talked about a small summary of what they had planned for season 3 and 4. So this is probably just the same set being repackaged and relisted for sale again.

edit: That's it. I have the shout factory version from forever ago.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
If you're not in the US, it's probably redirecting you to a search page that doesn't list it. Here's a separate announcement:

https://twitter.com/sonicstadium/status/1675916709381677060

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, it's redirecting me to another page, the cover doesn't look anything like that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tuxedo Mask posted:

Wow the new Sonic Sez segments are hardcore.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hrist posted:

It looks like a different cover. But yeah, I for sure have a full series set somewhere from back then. It also had weird fan art looking cover and stuff too. It's the one that had all the interview extras with some of the staff that worked on the show and all that. I think they also had a commentary track somewhere where they talked about a small summary of what they had planned for season 3 and 4. So this is probably just the same set being repackaged and relisted for sale again.

edit: That's it. I have the shout factory version from forever ago.

Wait, there was a Season 4 planned as well? What was it going to be about?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Tuxedo Mask posted:

thats some seriously epic win.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Larryb posted:

Wait, there was a Season 4 planned as well? What was it going to be about?

It was just quickly mentioned on the commentary for the last episode of season 2, I think. But they just talked about how Ixis Naugus was the red eyes, and he was going to be the main villain of 3 and 4. And how Knuckles would be a very minor character near the end of season 3, and would be a main cast member in 4. I don't think they said much else about 4. I'd have to go play it again to know if that was all from Ben Hurst or not. But I think it was him bringing it up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So what caused SatAM to get cancelled and Undergound to get greenlit in its place anyway? Was the show not doing well in the ratings or something?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
SatAM was cancelled in 1994 and was a joint production between DiC and the italian studio that made AOSTH, Underground didn't come out till 1999 and was a French produced cartoon, I'm pretty sure DiC's only involvement with it was in that they were the rights holder and did the english dubbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, I’d heard that Underground was more of a joint project between the US and France (they used the same Robotnik outfit as the other two at least)