Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Moktaro posted:

Rapids picked up Andrew Gutman for lotsa Garberbux, we really needed a LB so I'm down.

I'm gonna miss that bald bastard :sigh:

e: Apparently we'll be signing midfielder Tristan Muyumba.

Pershing fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

thassa lot of gam. Wonder who LAFC is eyeing to sign

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Gonna go tearfully say goodbye to Lewis O'Brien tonight.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://twitter.com/ManagerTactical/status/1677846451357986817

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/DarnayTripp/status/1678953295900200961?t=o8KlDw034GJaq3dnlFt-ig&s=19

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

"We'd like to introduce San Diego FC! Here's our all-white home kit and the all-blue away kit! We chose them because everyone said they liked them so they're awesome!"

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 12, 2023

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Nah, I'm sure they're going to throw a major curveball at us...San Diego SC, white top/blue bottom home kit and blue top/white bottom away kit. It'll blow everyone's freakin' minds.

(I hate how much expansion team branding as of late can be summarized by this video; somebody pick Nixon for once goddammit)

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Bring back the Sockers name

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Nostradingus posted:

Bring back the Sockers name

It never really went away. The San Diego Sockers went indoors after the original NASL folded and have been playing indoors in various iterations since then.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/MorningBrew/status/1679840873381523461

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Looks like he picked the wrong week for Publix chicken tender subs.

https://arepublixchickentendersubsonsale.com/

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Busquets officially signs with Miami as a DP.

Can't wait to see their 11 game winless streak continue.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

:sickos:

https://twitter.com/MagicCitySoccer/status/1680703194337255426

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Messi hashtag usage is :discourse:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just a heads up, the Target iOS app has a 1 month trial for the MLS season pass thing. I think you just need to download the Target app but maybe make Target account as well.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
I'm not sure if here or the MDT is the best place for this, but I'm oddly hyped for the skill challenge tonight. I haven't been able to catch it before and it's exactly the kind of silliness I'm into.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 18, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are all of Messi's buddies going to play for peanuts? I have no idea how Miami is going to make the money work

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are all of Messi's buddies going to play for peanuts?

unironically yes, and they'll still finish last

maybe they can have a DC Double as a treat

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

As somebody who's been complaining about the Galaxy FO for, jesus, too long now: I loving knew it.

Some money quotes:

The Athletic posted:

“At some point I had the feeling that my influence and impact wasn’t what I thought it should be,” te Kloese said. “I had long talks with ownership and Chris Klein, it was always friendly — I’m honestly appreciative of being able to work there — but I needed to have a definite impact.”

“I think certain authorities lay with the general manager,” te Kloese added. “In the last season I worked there, it wasn’t that clear. You end up in a lot of gray areas — who’s responsible for who, who brings in what players, what kind of playing style. It wasn’t clear enough.”

The Athletic posted:

The Galaxy returned to the playoffs in 2022 with their best season since 2019. Te Kloese was on his way to the title in the Netherlands.

“In the last few months with the Galaxy, I definitely thought with how the organization was being run and who has the authority, you can’t be held responsible for something if you’re not fully responsible (for the decisions),” te Kloese said. “They chose a different model. Everybody can judge by themselves how that went.”

The "not enough but, somehow, too many cooks" thing that seemed to plague The Galaxy's roster building I think is on full display here. I never thought much of te Klose when he was with LA (he did hire Schelotto, after all), but I think he confirms a lot of my suspicions here. Namely: Klein and Kirovski made way too many decisions based on... I guess their guts? Sure, it worked for Arena but, he's gone now and you guys are no Bruce Arena. Maybe, MAYBE if they get somebody good to replace Klein and maybe, MAYBE if Vanney can "build out the soccer operations", there's a bright(-er? -ish?) future for the team.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 19, 2023

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Latest news out of Uruguay is that Suarez is willing to refund all salaries he's been paid this year to leave grêmio and join Miami. His wife is close to Messi's wife and the ongoing joke is that refunding his salary is cheaper than a divorce.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

joepinetree posted:

Latest news out of Uruguay is that Suarez is willing to refund all salaries he's been paid this year to leave grêmio and join Miami. His wife is close to Messi's wife and the ongoing joke is that refunding his salary is cheaper than a divorce.

This is catagorically untrue.

Gremio is in Brazil.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Pigma_Micron posted:

As somebody who's been complaining about the Galaxy FO for, jesus, too long now: I loving knew it.

Some money quotes:

The "not enough but, somehow, too many cooks" thing that seemed to plague The Galaxy's roster building I think is on full display here. I never thought much of te Klose when he was with LA (he did hire Schelotto, after all), but I think he confirms a lot of my suspicions here. Namely: Klein and Kirovski made way too many decisions based on... I guess their guts? Sure, it worked for Arena but, he's gone now and you guys are no Bruce Arena. Maybe, MAYBE if they get somebody good to replace Klein and maybe, MAYBE if Vanney can "build out the soccer operations", there's a bright(-er? -ish?) future for the team.

He hits the nail on the head of what was going on with the Klein admin when he say said:

"“I think certain authorities lay with the general manager,” te Kloese added. “In the last season I worked there, it wasn’t that clear. You end up in a lot of gray areas — who’s responsible for who, who brings in what players, what kind of playing style. It wasn’t clear enough.”

Basically I'm pretty sure Klein avoided clearly delineating roles and responsibilities in his FO so that when poo poo went bad, as it often did after Bruce left in 2016, neither he nor his people (mainly Kirovski) could ever be blamed for it since no one could tell who was doing what.

Anyway, I participated in the boycott and I'm thrilled it worked. I'm pretty sure this season is already a wash and we won't make the playoffs due to the first 2/3rds of it being catastrophically bad. That said Klein getting fired, us going on a long unbeaten streak, and then beating LAFC at the Rose Bowl in front of 85,000 really made it feel like the club, the players, and the supporters have all exercised some demons.

We've signed some actually good players to keep building around in Puig, Caligari, Neal, Aude, and hell even Costa has been fantastic since Klein got canned. I'm actually hopeful about the future of the club for the first time in years. The one caveat is that AEG needs to hire someone to run the club for whom winning is the first priority, and not trying to boost profits with ill thought out signings that only expose that the FO has no plan for the team and only contempt for the fanbase.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 20, 2023

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Moktaro posted:

This is catagorically untrue.

Gremio is in Brazil.

I know grêmio is in Brazil. But the source of the story is espn Uruguai. Also any day now we're getting our província Cisplatina back

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Welp

https://twitter.com/MLSist/status/1682601522272583680

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm going to take the very bold and controversial stance of believing the guy who was accused of calling an opponent the n-word last year did indeed call his teammate the n-word in this incident.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeahhhhhhhhh.

I was at the game last year and we had no clue what had happened that caused the 8 minutes of stoppage (or what led to Miami running over to the supporters section to taunt us post game) but there was some plausible deniability because poo poo wasn't clear. My thought process was if he had said it, Bentenke would have spoken up since he was in the same area of the pitch. But this more a less confirms it.

Get Taxi the gently caress outta here. Robertha did nothing wrong.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Not sure if this is the right thread but...

...if you're an MLS season ticket holder, will that give you an advantage on scoring World Cup tickets for 2026?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

No, and it shouldn't either.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I mean maybe if your team plays in a stadium that is hosting (so Revs, Sounders, someone else I'm forgetting) you might get like a early access kind of deal, but other than that, doubtful.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
my rep at Gillette said that that they aren't able to offer any special access at all, but I am a multi-game package haver and not a season ticket member so I don't know if it's any different

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Do over Ham posted:

Looks like he picked the wrong week for Publix chicken tender subs.

https://arepublixchickentendersubsonsale.com/

why would someone that insanely rich and famous be doing their own grocery shopping? I assume he has a security detail

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

actionjackson posted:

why would someone that insanely rich and famous be doing their own grocery shopping? I assume he has a security detail

Because he’s in Miami where nobody cares about sports

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Because he’s in Miami where nobody cares about sports

I suppose. at the very least you think he would be going to some really high end grocery store, or would have people that do all of that for him

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I know a lot of soccer stars have mentioned how much they like being able to take vacations in the US and not get hounded. It's entirely possible Messi has taken a vacation there before and has been able to lay low.

Normalcy can feel good.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Pigma_Micron posted:

I know a lot of soccer stars have mentioned how much they like being able to take vacations in the US and not get hounded. It's entirely possible Messi has taken a vacation there before and has been able to lay low.

Normalcy can feel good.

I think the Venn diagram of Spanish speaking footballers and Miami vacations is just a single circle.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

Publix is a sponsor of Inter Miami and it was a viral branding stunt

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I have no idea how it will be in 2026, but when the WC was in Brazil (and I am pretty sure the other times too) the ticket distribution was handled by FIFA and the local organizing committee and the teams and venues had nothing to do with it. There should be early sales for host country residents, but an insane amount of tickets still go to travel agencies and fifa corporate partners.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1686112357322289153

ouch columbus. wonder how big that fee is for a 31 year old

supposedly columbus trying to sign someone in the next 48 hours

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

i wonder who is available they could actually get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Doctor Teeth posted:

i wonder who is available they could actually get

assuming they have 10-15m to play with from the sell, theres probably plenty of options available in that range in either europe or argentina or something, the problem is they need to get it done now. If they didnt already have something in motion that seems pretty difficult.

if they can buy someone similar but 5~ years younger it might be a great bit of business, but i dunno if that is doable in this window and it would be rough for cbus fans to be like welp on the season and wait until winter

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 31, 2023