Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

She definitely was, because she says to Miorine that she only recently regained control of her body, which means years of physical therapy at the very least. When Miorine shows up at the family compound, it's probably the first time she's seen Suletta moving around on her own since Quiet Zero.

OK I went back and checked

We see Suletta move her head when Miorine recovers her in space after the Calibarn dissolved so we know she wasn't ever fully 100% paralyzed
When Miorine sees Suletta playing with the kids she has a purely happy expression, no shock or surprise as if she's seeing her move for the first time,
And Suletta specifically says she "gradually" regained control of her body.

So yes, Suletta has spent those three years in physical therapy to get to where we see her post timeskip. But there is nothing to indicate that through that whole time she was simply too disabled to have sex. That's something you yourself are 100% bringing to the table on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

If Suletta could finger bang while she couldn't even wipe herself, then kudos, but it's hard to interpret it as much other than a contrivance to dodge any kind of consummation on-screen. Which, again, doesn't even get so much as a kiss. In the end it's still little more than a bourgeois marriage in the way it's depicted, and that was supposed to be a major element of why the marriage arrangement was bad in the first place.

It's hard not to keep harping on this because it's so jarring to see the show fumble the bag after getting almost everything right every step of the way. The depiction of gay and especially lesbian relationships in manga & anime have had this kind of problem for decades. In media meant for kids and teens, sapphic relationships are either fetishized for a male audience or depicted as a too pure for this world sexless romance with very little inbetween. G-Witch was perfectly walking the line by sexualizing teens appropriately without objectifying them, so to arrive at a conclusion that recreates the industrial cycle anyway is still disappointing. Especially because this IS progress compared to what the lead writer did with Princess Principal, which really was queerbaiting by leaving enough room to suppose that the two leads were sisters separated at birth. But it's a progress that meets the established baseline. They had a chance to push some boundaries yet still pulled their hand back at the last minute. It's perplexing.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 00:59 on Jul 5, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
If you think Suletta using crutches was supposed to convey to the audience that she’s a totally non-sexual diaper-wearing invalid, then uhh I think you need to be doing some self criticism before you criticize anything else.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

If you think Suletta using crutches was supposed to convey to the audience that she’s a totally non-sexual diaper-wearing invalid, then uhh I think you need to be doing some self criticism before you criticize anything else.

We don't even see the crutches UNTIL the timeskip. Before that Miorine has to pick up her motionless body as it's floating through space. Why would Suletta say that she recently gained control of her body if she had a meaningful amount of control of it in the interim? When she says she has control over her body she flexes her hand to demonstrate it, even. I'm not just bringing this to the table on my lonesome, it's the show that brought it up. It's impossible to interpret the conclusion that we got as anything other than a contrivance to dodge the wedding. If Suletta had to get married in a wheelchair that could've been even MORE impactful.

It's ironic to think that there's been a rash of cartoons produced in the West which were directly inspired by the kind of shoujo stories that G-Witch is emulating, yet Japanese animators and writers are still stuck in a weird no-go zone in what they're able to depict, while queer characters in those Western cartoons are kissing each other all the time.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 01:27 on Jul 5, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We don't even see the crutches UNTIL the timeskip. Before that Miorine has to pick up her motionless body as it's floating through space. Why would Suletta say that she recently gained control of her body if she had a meaningful amount of control of it in the interim? When she says she has control over her body she flexes her hand to demonstrate it, even. I'm not just bringing this to the table on my lonesome, it's the show that brought it up. It's impossible to interpret the conclusion that we got as anything other than a contrivance to dodge the wedding. If Suletta had to get married in a wheelchair that could've been even MORE impactful.

She said gradually, not recently.

The entire point of the time skip is showing that everybody is doing ok. They’ve moved on and entered new phases of their lives. The importance of Suletta and Miorine’s scene is showing that after all the stuff that happened they’re together and happy. The scars literally remain, but they made it through and are happy.

I would have liked to see a wedding too but they were clearly extremely pressed for time and the wedding wasn’t actually the important thing. As you say, the whole engagement system was hosed. It’s the happiness that matters, not the ceremony.

It seems like you’re basing your idea that they never hosed entirely on Suletta saying she recently regained control of her body. But she didn’t say that. She said she gradually regained control.

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
what the gently caress is wrong with you people

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

She said gradually, not recently.

The entire point of the time skip is showing that everybody is doing ok. They’ve moved on and entered new phases of their lives. The importance of Suletta and Miorine’s scene is showing that after all the stuff that happened they’re together and happy. The scars literally remain, but they made it through and are happy.

I would have liked to see a wedding too but they were clearly extremely pressed for time and the wedding wasn’t actually the important thing. As you say, the whole engagement system was hosed. It’s the happiness that matters, not the ceremony.

It seems like you’re basing your idea that they never hosed entirely on Suletta saying she recently regained control of her body. But she didn’t say that. She said she gradually regained control.

The point is that even while off-screen, during the time skip, she was literally physically unfit for a sexual relationship. It was already established that Suletta has a natural resistance to Permet corruption. There's no reason that the time skip or her condition had to be so dramatic, and the only explanation that makes sense is that they bent the narrative over backwards to be as inoffensive as possible, even if it meant avoiding the one thing the entire story was building up to. Saying that the "ceremony wasn't important" is a copout. Gay marriage is still illegal in Japan, so I'd say the ceremony matters a lot.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The point is that even while off-screen, during the time skip, she was literally physically unfit for a sexual relationship.

Wow, cool robot!

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

this conversation about gundam sucks, lets talk about how they should make the next season of Land of the Lustrous now instead

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The point is that even while off-screen, during the time skip, she was literally physically unfit for a sexual relationship. It was already established that Suletta has a natural resistance to Permet corruption. There's no reason that the time skip or her condition had to be so dramatic, and the only explanation that makes sense is that they bent the narrative over backwards to be as inoffensive as possible, even if it meant avoiding the one thing the entire story was building up to. Saying that the "ceremony wasn't important" is a copout. Gay marriage is still illegal in Japan, so I'd say the ceremony matters a lot.

all marriage is gay

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The point is that even while off-screen, during the time skip, she was literally physically unfit for a sexual relationship.

No! You made that up! That’s entirely a thing you invented in your own brain!

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

man I sure like those funny rocks in land of the lustrous

what if there was a zircon gem full of uranium 238

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The show peaked with Dawn of Fold. I hope they get a sequel.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i have no idea how radiation would affect ambulatory minerals, much less whatever the gently caress lunarians are made of.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I'm glad that the manga of Land of the Lustrous goes full buddhist, pretty interesting. A lot of people got really pissed about the arc where Phos goes to the moon, but I thought it was fun. Maybe its one of those things that sucks when you read it when it comes out instead of all at once?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

:yikes:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Miles Blundell posted:

Being a nerd gives you bad brains

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

im just here for the giant robots

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I also want season 2 of Dorohedoro because it had really good opening and ending songs and I want more of them please

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Miles Blundell posted:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I want the robots themselves to be gay, not just the little meat tubes inside

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
i swear to god and allah and Joseph Smith that the majority of anime fans exist in some kind of weird intentional permanent arrested development and it makes treating texts like texts rather than stupid marvel wiki fandom poo poo impossible in most online discussions

do these people watch Utena and get mad that they don't kiss or something rather than talking about what a fun perspective on gender and social roles and people's ability to move past the useless social structures they've been born into and how even though using the term "Revolutionary" in that way is kind of liberal/anarchist bullshit it still works pretty well if you're willing to forgive it that

also she falls into a magic car wash and turns into a supercar and outraces the patriarchy and it's fuckin cool, watch Utena and the Utena movie you god drat nerds

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
My new metric gayness per frame (GPF) will put an end to these debates

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Miles Blundell posted:

also she falls into a magic car wash and turns into a supercar and outraces the patriarchy and it's fuckin cool, watch Utena and the Utena movie you god drat nerds

Are you kidding me?

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
they call it End Of Utena for a reason, it's a bit less direct and formal than the anime standard, ala EoE

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i believe in the patriarchy of zeon

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

I want the robots themselves to be gay, not just the little meat tubes inside

the brave series has been dead for 20 years now

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
so are these lesbian robots gonna gently caress or what

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
I for one am satisfied with the gundam ending. Could it have used a 3 hours MioxSuletta scissoring session special? Maybe but I still think the animators did their best with the time and ressources they had.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Whirling posted:

I'm glad that the manga of Land of the Lustrous goes full buddhist, pretty interesting. A lot of people got really pissed about the arc where Phos goes to the moon, but I thought it was fun. Maybe its one of those things that sucks when you read it when it comes out instead of all at once?

ive been loving it. more manga dedicated to the liberation of all beings from suffering please.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

some of yall need buddha, thats for sure

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoHands has done it again

https://twitter.com/DemondNews/status/1676263716948434945?s=20

quote:

Komura starts his school year with a new seat neighbor in homeroom—the bespectacled Mie. Before long, he’s nursing a raging crush on his quirky classmate who’s always forgetting her glasses! While this might be ideal for Komura to get to know Mie better, will his poor heart give out from the daily strain of being up close and personal with the girl he likes?!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
What the actual hell is that mess

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

me reading the newest Oshi No Ko chapter after being anime-only up to now: :unsmith: "Oh that's sweet! I was wondering when those two were gonna reveal their true selves to eaWHAT THE JAMES JOYCE FARTING gently caress:allbuttons:

I. M. Gei has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Jul 5, 2023

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I looked into the premise of that show and immediately was like what the gently caress. Why is it so popular

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

it uhh.......... it go places, alright

... like Kiln, Mississippi

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitfox88 posted:

What the actual hell is that mess

They ain't GoHands for nuthin

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They ain't GoHands for nuthin

But where are the other four?

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

net work error posted:

I looked into the premise of that show and immediately was like what the gently caress. Why is it so popular

Same, I just mentally sorted it into the same bucket I dump other trash that's inexplicably popular like Mushoku Tensei or Made in Abyss. I gotta assume its because most anime communities are full of people who do nothing but read anime and manga, so it results in them praising incredibly boring cliches like being reborn or dungeon-crawl rip-off bullshit if they're even halfway clever and don't play things entirely straight, and ignoring weird poo poo that wouldn't fly anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
AFAIK, Oshi no Ko owes much of its popularity to being a fascinating and highly informative in-depth expose of the Japanese entertainment industry (with a bunch of insiders going 'yeah, it's pretty much exactly like that'), with most fans breezing past the 'incestuous reincarnation murder-mystery' part. Unless, of course, it turns out that that's just a regular industry thing that folks have to deal with, too.