Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I forgot, today Stellantis did their launch for the Fiat 600 and Fiat Topolino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC85QEVKx2g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RYuDVoxCfA

600 is a cheaper Avenger
Topolino is a fancier Ami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I test drove an MYP this weekend, since the search for a larger vehicle continues. I decided the BMW iX wasn't nice enough to be worth twice as much as an MYP, and options for EVs roomier than the Polestar 2 that don't cost a fortune are slim. The MYP was definitely roomier, especially in the backseat, and drove well. It's still really strange to me that it's missing features like a gauge display w/ map, a HUD, and blind spot indicators. What may be a dealbreaker is there's no option to turn off one-pedal driving, which isn't a problem for me but is a big deal for my wife.

Ventilated seats would be nice, too. I read that they might be coming next year?

We've also been checking out the PHEV Volvo SUVs and those cost an absolute fortune, too. Manufacturers have gone nuts.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 4, 2023

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's still really strange to me that it's missing features like a gauge display w/ map, a HUD, and blind spot indicators.

We've also been checking out the PHEV Volvo SUVs and those cost an absolute fortune, too. Manufacturers have gone nuts.

The tesla is cheaper cause it doesn’t have that stuff, among other reasons, it’s on purpose (they’ll never admit it of course it’s just “minimalism” you should swallow up). The luxury brands are going to be better built and have all the features but you gotta pay up.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

SlowBloke posted:

600 is a cheaper Avenger

The 600 does look nice. I'm guessing no chance in hell it ever comes to the US?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Went to a house party yesterday and took a screenshot of the Hyundai navigation system in action. The car could easily turn right onto the street in front of it, but the navigation system is saying to instead perform a u-turn and navigate through this neighborhood.

Hyundai should throw this poo poo straight in the trash

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GoutPatrol posted:

The 600 does look nice. I'm guessing no chance in hell it ever comes to the US?

I think once the renegade goes EoL they might replace it with the avenger but i don't think there is much room for the 600.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Infinotize posted:

The tesla is cheaper cause it doesn’t have that stuff, among other reasons, it’s on purpose (they’ll never admit it of course it’s just “minimalism” you should swallow up). The luxury brands are going to be better built and have all the features but you gotta pay up.

I’m also comparing the Ioniq 5 which is by no means a luxury vehicle and has that stuff standard/as an option. You don’t have to go up to $80k to get blind spot indicators.

It is what it is, though. It just makes comparison shopping harder because there are so few options in that space.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 4, 2023

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Basch lives! posted:

e: this thread has rules!

Congrats! I was between the gray and the blue. Both look so good on the car.

The red looks good too, but my last car was red and I wanted something that would get a little less attention.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Went to a house party yesterday and took a screenshot of the Hyundai navigation system in action. The car could easily turn right onto the street in front of it, but the navigation system is saying to instead perform a u-turn and navigate through this neighborhood.

Hyundai should throw this poo poo straight in the trash

No one uses it except for you

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cruft posted:

There's this station between Santa Fe and Albuquerque that keeps changing ownership. It started out ChargePoint I think, then someone else, then it was Blink, now who knows.

The thing has the screen facing directly into the sun, in the desert. It's solid black, nobody can read it.

I stopped by there once and saw a couple in a 30kWh LEAF trying desperately to get Blink on the phone to acknowledge that they owned it so that their stupid app would initiate a charge with it and these people wouldn't be stuck in the middle of nowhere. But the app didn't even have that station on its map. We tried all kinds of stuff: ChargePoint's app, Blink's app, pleading with Blink on the phone, credit card swipes, chips, and tap, and eventually I got my Blink card to start a charge for them.

The ChargePoint stations in Santa Fe have started breaking but it seems like they're getting fixed, so my experience with ChargePoint is that they're probably the best option. But clearly that's not your experience. I wonder if the state of repair says more about the property owner than the charging network.

This is infuriating. Redbox has had the screen thing figured out for a while now - a simple lift up shade - and as mentioned, gas pumps have durable outdoor card readers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cruft posted:

There's this station between Santa Fe and Albuquerque that keeps changing ownership. It started out ChargePoint I think, then someone else, then it was Blink, now who knows.

The thing has the screen facing directly into the sun, in the desert. It's solid black, nobody can read it.

I stopped by there once and saw a couple in a 30kWh LEAF trying desperately to get Blink on the phone to acknowledge that they owned it so that their stupid app would initiate a charge with it and these people wouldn't be stuck in the middle of nowhere. But the app didn't even have that station on its map. We tried all kinds of stuff: ChargePoint's app, Blink's app, pleading with Blink on the phone, credit card swipes, chips, and tap, and eventually I got my Blink card to start a charge for them.

The ChargePoint stations in Santa Fe have started breaking but it seems like they're getting fixed, so my experience with ChargePoint is that they're probably the best option. But clearly that's not your experience. I wonder if the state of repair says more about the property owner than the charging network.

sounds like you should buy it

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
a lot of those apps have been super useless overall. but the electrifyamerica dumb plug n play poo poo has honestly worked like a charm. if i could figure out a way to know i could reliably fall back on either that or some other app with cash-in-(digital-or-no)-wallet i'd be set, and it's be an obvious dub over gas stations. as it is it's more mixed than thta which sucks.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

I test drove an MYP this weekend, since the search for a larger vehicle continues. I decided the BMW iX wasn't nice enough to be worth twice as much as an MYP,

The ix seems to lease pretty well by 2023 standards, did you look at that? They’re passing on the tax credit and also discounting from msrp. I assume this is because they are not selling because they’re hideous but if you can get over the styling they’re good cars.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

https://www.polestar.com/us/offers/new/

Polestar is offering 7500 off of inventory 2023 models. Looks like mostly to clear supply before 2024s arrive.
I still think a lightly used one is a better deal (and I currently drive a 2023 Polestar 2 that i bought used and love) but this makes the price of new ones a little more competitive.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
According to a NHTSA petition to recall all Tesla vehicles, there is new information that the Tesla sudden unindented accelerations can happen without any user error. Previously the events have been dismissed as driver errors based on data logged by the car. When reproduced the faulty behavior of electronics results in logged data that shows accelerator pedal being floored despite it not being pressed at all.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/breaking-nhtsa-petition-shows-tesla-s-sudden-unintended-acceleration-is-real-and-curable-217525.html

https://www.autoevolution.com/pdf/n...able-217525.pdf

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 5, 2023

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

DoLittle posted:

According to a NHTSA petition to recall all Tesla vehicles, there is new information that the Tesla sudden unindented accelerations can happen without any user error. Previously the events have been dismissed as driver errors based on data logged by the car. When reproduced the faulty behavior of electronics results in logged data that shows accelerator pedal being floored despite it not being pressed at all.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/breaking-nhtsa-petition-shows-tesla-s-sudden-unintended-acceleration-is-real-and-curable-217525.html

I mean if it is a thing and is easily fixable that’s cool. But a quick search shows the author has a nearly decade long history of writing about sudden unintended acceleration in Teslas, and I don’t recall NHTSA validating his previous petitions?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

SlowBloke posted:

600 is a cheaper Avenger

These both look neat, and the Topolino looks less like a rolling Sterlite bin than the Ami.

I'm an easy mark for that exact color though.

Have to imagine Fiat dealers in the US would be desperate for the 600.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Failson posted:

These both look neat, and the Topolino looks less like a rolling Sterlite bin than the Ami.

I'm an easy mark for that exact color though.

Have to imagine Fiat dealers in the US would be desperate for the 600.

As long as SATA-Melfi exists, so will the Renegade and 500x. As long as the Renegade exist, Stellantis won't make a mess of their lineup with a 95% overlapping product in the avenger or 600e. There is a point for euro market since they also have to contend with Peugeot e2008, Opel Mokka, Citroen c4x, DS3 as alternatives anyway and adding another variant has relatively low costs since development has already been paid off.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DoLittle posted:

If this isn't pedal confusion, that'll be the first time in history, and it's a Big loving Deal.

It honestly reads a lot like this thing we learned about in college where every time a test jet flew south from Florida, it would flip over. It wound up the jet's navigation was measuring latitude in degrees north of the equator, and the negative value when it crossed propagated into the artificial horizon thinking the plane was upside-down, which it would then rectify.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Question for the thread:

I've got two options for Ioniq 5s.

One is Digital Teal (the color I want).

The other is white, but is $1000 cheaper. The white one would be closer to $2000 cheaper but the dealership is insisting on a $1000 carnamic protection plan.

Should I take the less cool color, save $1000, and have some lovely protection plan (I assume) to boot, or should I take the color I prefer and give the finger to dealership add-ons?

If it matters, I'm leasing to take advantage of the tax credit, and the current lease credit ends today so I need to make a decision urgently or Hyundai (not the dealer) may lower the credit tomorrow when it expires.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Buy the color you want. Fwiw I think the white is the worst color for Ioniq 5s but if you’re cool with it you should take the $1k net savings.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Unless you plan to wrap the car, get the color you want. You'll probably have the car for several years, and you don't want to think about what could have been.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Get the color you like. Especially because it's green. There aren't enough green cars on the road anymore. Colors are the best. It's going to end up costing you less than $200 a year.

White is the second worst color for a car (after every variation of gray) and the protection plan is a ripoff.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Get the color you like. Especially because it's green. There aren't enough green cars on the road anymore. Colors are the best. It's going to end up costing you less than $200 a year.

White is the second worst color for a car (after every variation of gray) and the protection plan is a ripoff.

Vegetable posted:

Buy the color you want. Fwiw I think the white is the worst color for Ioniq 5s but if you’re cool with it you should take the $1k net savings.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Unless you plan to wrap the car, get the color you want. You'll probably have the car for several years, and you don't want to think about what could have been.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. This is just what I needed to hear.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ajaxify posted:

Question for the thread:

I've got two options for Ioniq 5s.

One is Digital Teal (the color I want).

The other is white, but is $1000 cheaper. The white one would be closer to $2000 cheaper but the dealership is insisting on a $1000 carnamic protection plan.

Insisting that I wasn't going to pay for something like that has never disappointed me yet.

Echoing everyone, go with the teal.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Toyota says they have made a major technological breakthrough on solid-state batteries for electric vehicles.

The new technology will allow them to:

- Halve the size and weight of existing batteries.

- Have an effective range of 750 miles on a single charge.

- Reduce the charging time to approximately 10 minutes.

- Roughly halve the cost of production.

However, the technology will not be ready to be commercialized and available to the public until roughly 2027.

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1676443856374562816
https://twitter.com/SteveStuWill/status/1676242925343350785

Copying from the USCE thread. It will be nice if it happens, but I'll believe it when I see it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ajaxify posted:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. This is just what I needed to hear.

you’re gonna walk to that car every morning for x years and you’re either going to smile at the color that you wanted all along or you’re going to think about the day that you bought it and how you could’ve gotten a better color but at least you saved a grand

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Ditto on teal. It's the best color for sure.

I'm just wrapping up my lease buyout with Kia and so far it's been surprisingly smooth. Two weeks after buying it I requested the buyout quote, sent the check the next day, and the day after it arrived I got secure messages from Kia with the bill of sale and info about the title delivery. Now I just have to hope the title arrives as expected.

I've never leased before so it was a little stressful, especially since most dealers knew less than I did about the early buyout nonsense, but it appears to have worked perfectly by getting the tax credit passthrough without any bullshit so far.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

you’re gonna walk to that car every morning for x years and you’re either going to smile at the color that you wanted all along or you’re going to think about the day that you bought it and how you could’ve gotten a better color but at least you saved a grand

This is a better-worded version of the advice I was going to give. I don't have a recommendation on what choice you should make.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Ioniq5s aren’t selling with out the lease credit so don’t give into the the fake “rebate ends today!!!”pressure the dealership is putting on you.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
More of a general automotive question but how long do wraps last? I agree with getting the color you want, but if they’re all some boring shade of white or gray, how long do wraps last and what’s a ballpark figure for getting it done?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Ok Comboomer posted:

My boss is getting really close to retirement and just bought a new car saying it's probably going to be the last car he ever buys.

I asked him today if he was still happy with his new car (Rav4) and he just flat out said "I wish I had bought something different, like, a fun car, like yours".

I've worked for him for 5 years and we have had some pretty candid conversations about our financial situations over the years, I know him pretty well, he would not lie about his financial state to me, my dude, go buy a Porsche, you bought a car you don't even really like as your "last car"? His husband is a retired doctor and drives a new Lexus.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I've worked for him for 5 years and we have had some pretty candid conversations about our financial situations over the years, I know him pretty well, he would not lie about his financial state to me, my dude, go buy a Porsche, you bought a car you don't even really like as your "last car"? His husband is a retired doctor and drives a new Lexus.

maybe that’s their dynamic, idk

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

At lunch my coworkers and I stood around a Taycan parked near the cafeteria, oohing and aahing at how good looking it was. Can't wait until I can afford it in 20 years time :cool:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Vegetable posted:

At lunch my coworkers and I stood around a Taycan parked near the cafeteria, oohing and aahing at how good looking it was. Can't wait until I can afford it in 20 years time :cool:

hopefully it depreciates more like the Cayenne/Panamera and less like the 911/718

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

maybe that’s their dynamic, idk

No, it was like, genuinely forlorn, I honestly felt bad for him, it's like he genuinely never considered for a moment that he could buy a car that he liked instead of a gray base level Rav4.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

No, it was like, genuinely forlorn, I honestly felt bad for him, it's like he genuinely never considered for a moment that he could buy a car that he liked instead of a gray base level Rav4.

fortunately for him the used market remains red hot if he’s willing to take a minor money hit (or no money hit at all, who knows. They can’t keep RAV4s on lots) and flip his new car before the summer ends

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

fortunately for him the used market remains red hot if he’s willing to take a minor money hit (or no money hit at all, who knows. They can’t keep RAV4s on lots) and flip his new car before the summer ends

I honestly had no idea that Rav4s were so loving popular until he told me how difficult it was for him to get his hands on. That is what you spent two months trying to buy? There is like a massive addressable market that is like "Yeah, the Hyundai Tucson is just too flashy for me, do you have anything with cloth seats of circa 2000 fleet F-150?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Three Olives posted:

I honestly had no idea that Rav4s were so loving popular until he told me how difficult it was for him to get his hands on. That is what you spent two months trying to buy? There is like a massive addressable market that is like "Yeah, the Hyundai Tucson is just too flashy for me, do you have anything with cloth seats of circa 2000 fleet F-150?

I think Toyota appeals to a fairly massive segment of people who would just never bother considering having a look at another automaker. It’s not brand loyalty per se they just give so little fucks about their car other than the assumption that it will be reliable.

And so since they don’t care they’re fine with going on a waitlist for the automotive equivalent of the colour beige. When the car shows up great til then who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

yeah but the Tucson has a DCT (or a trick iManual lol) that might die in 100k miles and the RAV4 is the industry standard beige car that you never have to think about until you sell it/trade it in at 190k or your grandkid finally totals it at 350k

people who want a bit more flash get a CRV