Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
open skill tree > refund all > pick stuff that synergizes

+

open ur codex of power collection > look for aspects that will help ur new, non-poo poo, build

=

enjoy not being rear end at the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Man what in the actual gently caress are you talking about?

People keep defending D4 with "it's better than D3 was at launch." And that literally doesn't matter because if I were to load up D3 right now, I would not be playing launch D3. D4 is not competing with launch D3, it's competing with current D3. Also PoE and LE and maybe also Grim Dawn and some iteration of Torchlight but Torchlight fuckin sucks, unlike D3 or D4, both of which are good.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

People keep defending D4 with "it's better than D3 was at launch." And that literally doesn't matter because if I were to load up D3 right now, I would not be playing launch D3. D4 is not competing with launch D3, it's competing with current D3. Also PoE and LE and maybe also Grim Dawn and some iteration of Torchlight but Torchlight fuckin sucks, unlike D3 or D4, both of which are good.

Cool, go play diablo 3 then and let us enjoy a different game

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

you can make starter versions of most builds in the game via the codex of power. you can change aspects around and pick something else that will be useful to you/your playstyle. builds usually only have 1 or 2 "must have" aspects and the rest are extremely flexible

after this you can start paying attention to the affixes on your items. is your build resource hungry? do you need cooldown reduction? does your build rely on lucky hit? etc.

Failboattootoot posted:

there's a good reason why diablo 3 was a ghost town for almost the entirety of its life, even after 10 years of updates. the game sucked rear end and only sad old clowns played it. it's a new era baby

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

there's a good reason why diablo 3 was a ghost town for almost the entirety of its life, even after 10 years of updates. the game sucked rear end and only sad old clowns played it. it's a new era baby

Heh, I may be a sad clown but I don't think that has anything to do with D3. When a new season launches, I'll play it again because it's always fun.

I wish D4 had learned any good lessons from D3 rather than trying so hard to not be it.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

D3 sold like gang busters, especially when they ported it to consoles. Really fun coop game.

The criticism is warranted with D4, it should be a better game from what came before it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And it is, OP

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kawabata posted:

yeah why is this thread going :smug: fresh gameplay :smug:?

I like some fresh gameplay

It's funny! sounds like a stockholder meeting lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lol at the 'd3 sucks' takes in defense of d4 when this game is closer to d3 than anything else by far

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
my gameplay feels not so fresh :(

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

D2 is better than d3

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

oh no

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1676757903850582016?s=20

not corruption in my blizzard game!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

That meme of the bird doing standup getting told to get new material, and it's just note cards with nothing but corruption on them.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What happens when a place is already suckass haunted as poo poo and THEN gets corrupted??

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The smear of cum that coats everything becomes completely opaque.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
so that's why they rehired chris metzen 6 months ago

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Suburban Dad posted:

Heh, I may be a sad clown but I don't think that has anything to do with D3. When a new season launches, I'll play it again because it's always fun.

I wish D4 had learned any good lessons from D3 rather than trying so hard to not be it.

It learned a few! I think bounties are broadly better. Paragon boards are definitely cooler than paragon points, setting aside specific balance issues with certain boards. Renown is... kinda neat. It's why I've sunk as many hours as I have into d4 (but on the flipside it is simultaneously why the next time I want to play an aRPG, it probably won't be D4). I think being able to rip aspects and stick them on well-statted rares is great on paper but is more held back by lack of loot filtering and ease of item analysis than it is as a system. The story campaign was several orders of magnitude better. This iteration of Barbarian is a lot more fun to play than d3's and probably also d2's. Better monster mechanics and health management for sure in D4.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

bus hustler posted:

There's something that truly gets me about people comparing this to D3 on release. Again, nobody is going to compare CS2 to the 2012 launch edition of CS:GO. It's expected to be an improvement on day 1.

If someone releases a new car with no smartphone integration we don't say "well the civic didn't launch with it either." You compare it to modern cars.

If a politician was anti gay marriage we wouldn't say they need a few years to "evolve" like Obama did, we'd criticize them using a modern measuring stick.
I'm a D3 apologist and have been down the middle on praise/criticism for D4 but I won't hold the game to the standards of D3 after like a decade of steady improvements. There's really not enough overlap to take every hard-learned lesson from D3 directly into D4. Every systems-heavy game has growing pains in its sequels - you really are designing from scratch when you make something that's spiritually similar but tries to refresh everything, and deep iterative end-game designs take loads of time and time in the hands of the players to develop.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
i had fun with d2

and d3

and d4

didnt have fun with d1 because i was a kid amd the game was too scary for me

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Feel free to steal vaal orbs D4.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Decided to see if Reddit had any tips for getting the side quest Fury Against Fate from bugging out and as ridiculous as it sounds...

Turn your background FPS to 1 and talk to the NPC in the cave and alt+tab out until you hear the NPCs yelling charge to attack. It worked!

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

OctaMurk posted:

i had fun with d2

and d3

and d4

Look at this new guy and laugh

*cries in old man*

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

External Organs posted:

Feel free to steal vaal orbs D4.

Reported for stolen vaalorb

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im thinking about maining barb in season 1 just bc it seems like the best candidate for a zdps build and i always wanted to do that in diablo 3 but i mostly played it on switch and there was very little group play and literally no reason to try to try for leaderboards

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

umm who are these guys going to corrupt? the citizens of sanctuary are already hosed ALL the way up! and half of them are really just demons in human skin

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Aexo posted:

Decided to see if Reddit had any tips for getting the side quest Fury Against Fate from bugging out and as ridiculous as it sounds...

Turn your background FPS to 1 and talk to the NPC in the cave and alt+tab out until you hear the NPCs yelling charge to attack. It worked!

That's the one where if the wall is interactable, the quest is bugged, right? Another fix is to break down the wall, lure the enemies over so the NPCs start fighting, and then leave, quit to menu, and go back.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

i had fun with d2

and d3

and d4

We would turn the computer off if we opened the butcher's door

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What happens when a place is already suckass haunted as poo poo and THEN gets corrupted??

ur not gonna believe the skeletons that show up

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i was 11 when diablo 1 came out and i watched the first scream movie roughly around that time with no problems but i was too scared to fight the butcher and i made my older sister do it

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

My money's on it being a different type of helltide. It needs to be more than that, but we'll see.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Give me heaventides. It’s about time we smacked some angels around.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I thought we would fight inarius in the campaign but lilith kind of went beast mode on him before we could

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 6, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

We would turn the computer off if we opened the butcher's door

We're still all chasing that high, it's just never as visceral when you're twenty+ years older.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

tbf you get the butchers fresh meat line no matter where you are in a dungeon and i was having a clan mate power level my alt and i heard it and i had a pretty visceral reaction and yelled "gently caress off!!!' into voice chat

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Lister posted:

My money's on it being a different type of helltide. It needs to be more than that, but we'll see.

Whimsy loving tides Blizzard. I want self serious gamer tears.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

lmao are you serious blizzard

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Failboattootoot posted:

It learned a few! I think bounties are broadly better. Paragon boards are definitely cooler than paragon points, setting aside specific balance issues with certain boards. Renown is... kinda neat. It's why I've sunk as many hours as I have into d4 (but on the flipside it is simultaneously why the next time I want to play an aRPG, it probably won't be D4). I think being able to rip aspects and stick them on well-statted rares is great on paper but is more held back by lack of loot filtering and ease of item analysis than it is as a system. The story campaign was several orders of magnitude better. This iteration of Barbarian is a lot more fun to play than d3's and probably also d2's. Better monster mechanics and health management for sure in D4.

Whisper quests are basically bounties

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Diephoon posted:

I played with The Butcher's Cleaver for a while and the fear is neat because it's guaranteed on crit, but for some mobs it didn't feel like they got slowed much if at all. This resulted in occasional annoyance at chasing feared mobs so I took it out of my build.

I'm playing a druid and found a decent Butchers cleaver. Thought I'd try it out as I'm at 50% crit and it seems pretty decent for crowd control, although I am a bit confused about the fear as it seems to work sometimes and not others? Sometimes I can fear them a few times in a row and others they just sit there.

Otherwise my build is mostly ranged so them running off doesnt worry me, I can see how annoying it would be in melee. Its been great at times when I am a bit vulnerable and can just spam attacks to fear stuff away from me.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Syrnn posted:

Been playing with my SO and I'm a little underwhelmed after the rich fruits of D3. I'm trying Barbarian and I'm only at 53, still doing the main story and compared to her sorceress I feel like my barbarian just tickles poo poo to death until vulnerable comes online. I took Expose Vulnerability so that I can open on some mook with Death Blow and then Whirlwind everyone vulnerable but my downtime is terrible and there's so much I still don't get about this game. Almost all the legendaries I've found are either for generic poo poo like barriers or are for skills I don't really use or enjoy like Leap, so I've been doing this whirlwind thing forever and it definitely lacks pepper.

Why doesn't it explain half of it's mechanics anywhere? I still don't think I understand fortify or overpower, I kind of loathe the paragon board, runes are confusing, I just feel like I don't really get this game compared to D3. Can someone point me to a good leveling guide that isn't just "build your character to these exacting end game specifications with exactly these aspects you haven't found bing bong so simple" that seems to dominate all the websites on D4?

lol what

Tokubetsu posted:

yeah but they're better, cause you can get them while you're doing stuff you otherwise want to do, and partial progress gets saved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Tokubetsu posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. Whispers are broadly better.