Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Threads looks simple but I can guarantee that the go-to-market plan for this must have been absolutely insane. Partnerships and early access for all the existing partners Instagram already has. Content policy and tech infrastructure borrowed from the rest of Meta. An army of outsourced labor ready to deal with reports of illegal and abusive content from day one. And they launch in the immediate aftermath of a Twitter technical meltdown. Hell of a launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i fell behind on this whats the thread title quote from?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

:worship::worship:The Throot Goot! :worship::worship:

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

thathonkey posted:

Japanese Twitter users railing against Elmo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stop making Instagram sound good you behairplugged shitheel.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Vegetable posted:

Threads looks simple but I can guarantee that the go-to-market plan for this must have been absolutely insane. Partnerships and early access for all the existing partners Instagram already has. Content policy and tech infrastructure borrowed from the rest of Meta. An army of outsourced labor ready to deal with reports of illegal and abusive content from day one. And they launch in the immediate aftermath of a Twitter technical meltdown. Hell of a launch.

Yeah it's hard to imagine a better circumstance for them to launch into. It's unfortunate for them that they were obviously rushing to get an MVP release out the door as fast as possible because its going to be judged on first impressions, and it's a pretty anemic product right now.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

thathonkey posted:

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Elon is 100% going to freak the gently caress out in the next day or so and try some batshit insanity to stop Threads from eating his lunch, like banning the word "Threads" from Twitter.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Threads has literally been around for like three hours you all have the attention span and patience of gnats

Reminds me of when SAD opened up and people were angry that admins weren't there immediately and 24/7 to answer their questions

It's a product launch from a multi billion dollar company.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

thathonkey posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

E the Shaggy posted:

Elon is 100% going to freak the gently caress out in the next day or so and try some batshit insanity to stop Threads from eating his lunch, like banning the word "Threads" from Twitter.
if he wanted to kill it he could just tweet 'rate limits and not being able to view tweets while logged in are gone'

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

E the Shaggy posted:

him and the boys are going to post 10,000 times about how cool twitter is and instagram is lame and data scraping and dick sucking and interesting and concerning

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Did someone say "I am Throot" yet?
e: got the quote wrong like a dingus

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I want to believe he's not mad

surc
Aug 17, 2004

He's gonna post an unfunny not-quite-a-pun using the name and it's gonna be stolen from subscriber.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Jelly posted:

Did someone say "I am Throot" yet?
e: got the quote wrong like a dingus

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

You're loving sunk, Elon. You hit the corncob depth. making GBS threads on women was the crippling maneuver and you doubled down. Give me the keys to Tesla and SpaceX and I'll make sure you gently caress off correctly.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Woodchip posted:

Throot Social.

Throat Goat-cial

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Looking at Threads, there's a few reasons I think it's got a chance. A big part of it is having the built in ecosystem from Instagram already. I know a lot of goons probably aren't big into instagram, but lots of people are, and it's one click to transfer the instagram account to a Threads account and one click to auto-follow everyone that you followed on Instagram -- whether or not they joined Threads yet, it'll just autofollow them when they join based on their instagram account. Or you can manually select what follows you want to carry over. But if someone has a ton of accounts they follow on Instagram they don't have to do poo poo to bring all that over to Threads, it's all done for them, no rebuilding the account and manually searching for everyone you want to see if you can follow on there. Instagram already has "influencers," they have actual verified company and celebrity accounts, basically there's already this whole ready made userbase they can exploit.

Yeah right now everyone's feed is algorithm trash, but I've already seen Threads' tech people out there saying, yeah, it's pushing recommended stuff mostly right now to avoid an empty timeline but it'll be mostly (and yeah, "mostly" is doing a lot there -- I'm sure there will still be plenty of promoted/advertised/whatever garbage pushed at you) stuff you actually follow when there's enough of that to fill a timeline. But right now it does avoid the ghost town feeling I had when joining something like Mastodon when my timeline was like four posts total. All the random trash does at least give people something to keep blankly staring at and scrolling through rather than putting the app away, and that's what they want.

I dunno, I really wouldn't mind seeing this thing take off a little just to have a quick non-twitter feed of stuff I'm loosely interested in

(edit):

E the Shaggy posted:

I will gladly take Zuck's emotionless rear end over "INTERESTING CONCERNING TEE HEE 100 100 100 CIS IS A SLUR!"

this greatly sums up my feelings right now

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Today: "Be miserable on Twitter!"
Yesterday: "Stop using Twitter and touch grass!"
The day before: "Cis is a slur!"

It's almost amazing that he's not trying to kill Twitter on purpose.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I've never twittered so whatever, but I do have an instagram so slipping into threads to take a peek is easy and it's just everyone going 'whew finally not twitter' and making jabs at it.

zuc is an unfeeling weirdo robot with a taste for sweet baby rays but Musk is an active repulsion field golem

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

It appears the only good instinct Zuck has is to gently caress with Elon Musk whenever possible.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

MrMojok posted:

I realize the human element appears to have failed us here, but I’d like to hold off judgement on a thing like that until all the facts are in

Just saw this and holy poo poo lmao

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

It appears the only good instinct Zuck has is to gently caress with Elon Musk whenever possible.

It's really Trump vs. DeSantis in the tech bro world.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mozi posted:

Wait, I need to install something on my phone for that? I can't just sign up on PC? No thanks...

they didn't even bother with a web app

it'll probably come later but what the gently caress

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

said Mr. Musk in a terrible Arnold Schwarzenegger accent, while flexing his manboobs at his bathroom mirror.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Threads has literally been around for like three hours you all have the attention span and patience of gnats

Reminds me of when SAD opened up and people were angry that admins weren't there immediately and 24/7 to answer their questions
Yeah it's clearly the first version that will get updated.

They tell you on first launch that they're planning fediverse/Mastodon integration, so they have poo poo roadmapped.

It really seems like they wanted to get something basic and stable out to start drinking Twitter's milkshake.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

E the Shaggy posted:

Today: "Be miserable on Twitter!"
Yesterday: "Stop using Twitter and touch grass!"
The day before: "Cis is a slur!"

It's almost amazing that he's not trying to kill Twitter on purpose.

I wish eternal hell on Elon Musk for breaking my brain years ago by just sucking.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
So has Musk organised a date to rumble in the Octagon or is he truly the biggest busta in human history?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

another perfect quote for the portal 2 edit

I don't really call people NPCs but he is actually a literal NPC ffs

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

jeffreyw posted:

So has Musk organised a date to rumble in the Octagon or is he truly the biggest busta in human history?

His Mommy said no.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm kind of surprised Meta is even bothering, Twitter always seemed kind of a niche site in terms of number of users and advertising (though it always seemed to have an outsized influence on media)

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

jeffreyw posted:

cmon, what does your heart tell you?

Mogatrat
Feb 13, 2012

Your flesh is an insult to the perfection of the digital.

big black turnout posted:

Yeah people think they want chronological but then don't like it when they have it.

Speak for yourself, I haven't followed more than 50 people on any social media site, ever. I like to have a small focused feed that entertains me, but I can catch up to it so that way I can stop scrolling and go do something else.

Granted, I have no idea how many people work like me. Based on current market trends, not many.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

surc posted:

He's gonna post an unfunny not-quite-a-pun using the name and it's gonna be stolen from subscriber.

so you're saying he'll be posting throot

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

E the Shaggy posted:

Japanese Twitter users railing against Elmo.

Guess again

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

AndrewP posted:

I'm kind of surprised Meta is even bothering, Twitter always seemed kind of a niche site in terms of number of users and advertising (though it always seemed to have an outsized influence on media)

Hey it wasn’t that niche. Some guy spent $44 billion to acquire it

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

MrMojok posted:

I realize the human element appears to have failed us here, but I’d like to hold off judgement on a thing like that until all the facts are in

I just want to say this was delicious

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah threads doesn’t seem like something that has been planned as a full court press gala unveiling thing for years, more like this is what Zuck started dedicating resources to the moment elons mom told him he should be ashamed of himself

This is his form of attempting a giganerd suplex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Waffle House posted:

I just want to say this was delicious

I actually bungled the quote and combined two different quotes from the film, but hey… it works.