Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
The tricky part about spheres of negative weight is that they get shut off by normality fields and EMP, which can result in your character suddenly being too heavy to move in the middle of a fight.

Geomagnetic Disc rules, my favourite trick is to just stick a biodynamic cell in the thing and set it to auto-collect like a sort of murderous flying roomba.

Penetration, hoo boy. The damage formula in Qud is loving weird and the upshot is that higher strength doesn't make you hit any harder, it makes you hit faster, letting you hit multiple times per attack for each time your penetration beats the target's armour. Each weapon has a cap on how much penetration it can get and past that cap piling on more strength won't do a thing. The exception is most "natural" weapons like claws and horns, which have no cap and can scale with strength forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
edit: posted early, please hold

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Mr. Vile posted:

The tricky part about spheres of negative weight is that they get shut off by normality fields and EMP, which can result in your character suddenly being too heavy to move in the middle of a fight.

Geomagnetic Disc rules, my favourite trick is to just stick a biodynamic cell in the thing and set it to auto-collect like a sort of murderous flying roomba.

Penetration, hoo boy. The damage formula in Qud is loving weird and the upshot is that higher strength doesn't make you hit any harder, it makes you hit faster, letting you hit multiple times per attack for each time your penetration beats the target's armour. Each weapon has a cap on how much penetration it can get and past that cap piling on more strength won't do a thing. The exception is most "natural" weapons like claws and horns, which have no cap and can scale with strength forever.

vibro weapons can be useful for example because they will always match their penetration to the enemies and thus hit at least once

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr. Vile posted:

It doesn't make you hit faster. If it did that then getting more dice when you penetrate would also proc on-hit effects. It just makes you hit harder and the "x4" or whatever is an indicator of how much harder.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Basically, to summarize a little better for those unfamiliar, whenever you land a hit the game rolls 3 pen checks, comparing your PV (penetration value) to the target's AV (armor value). If at least one of these checks beats the AV then you deal the weapon's listed damage value. It does this for every passed check, effectively multiplying the damage by the number of successful penetrations. If all 3 checks pass, then the game rolls another at a slight penalty. If THAT still passes the check, the game keeps rolling with a gradually increasing penalty each time until you finally fail a check.

If none of these checks pass, you deal 0 damage (except for Freezing, Burning, and Electrical effects I believe, as those proc on-hit rather than on-pen) and get a message stating that you failed to penetrate the target's armor. Enemy attacks work the exact same way.

So in short strength only indirectly increases melee damage (albeit potentially exponentially), and even then it's capped by the weapon's max pen value. Natural weapons like from Horns or a True Kin with carbide/fullerite hand bones can get bonkers because the pen value has no cap, so going ham with strength results in your mere 1d3 damage getting rolled a ludicrous number of times compared to a normal weapon with better damage dice.

Edit: hmm, maybe not exactly "in short" then. I'm sure someone can explain it better than I did, as well.

IthilionTheBrave fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 5, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There is one small difference between player penetration mechanics and NPC penetration mechanics, which is that the player always auto-pens (at least once) on a critical hit.

(For melee weapons -- I think ranged just gives a bonus to penetration instead.)

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I completely forgot about critical hits, to be honest!

As for how that works... the game rolls a d20 plus attacker's To-Hit, compares to a d20 plus target's Defense Value. If attacker's roll is higher after modifiers, they hit. Rolling a 20 (5% chance) is a critical hit and I believe guaranteed to connect (and as Tuxedo Catfish pointed out, for a player it's also guaranteed to pen at least once for melee). Various weapons also have various on-crit effects! Axes damage armor and reduce AV, cudgel daze (and if the target is still dazed and gets hit by another Daze effect it upgrades to Stun, usually), short blades inflict a light Bleed, and Long blades and I think ranged weapons get a pen bonus. Any sort of improvised weapon or type that's not explicitly stated is considered a cudgel, by the way. This includes the fists of a True Kin with augmented hand bones. Horns, meanwhile, are actually classed as short blades. I'm actually not sure if there's a mutated natural weapons that's not considered a blade of some sort (meanwhile, many npc bite attacks are classed as axes).

Looking at the weapon skills trees you'll note that all of them have a passive that's gives a chance to trigger the weapon's crit effect on normal attacks as well, except Long Blades (which sorta do via Aggressive Stance).

There's very few ways to increase critical chance. Theres a Masterwork mod that increases the rate by 5%, or in other words let's you score a critical on a 19 or 20. Pistols have a skill that increases critical chance. This stacks with Masterwork, for a 15% (18, 19, or 20) chance.

Edit: I'm sorry for the walls of text? I like to nerd out about game mechanics. I know I'm missing a lot of little details, probably, as it's been a while since I've read about the relevant mechanics on the wiki.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Bethesda Susa! On the surface the jungle has almost entirely reclaimed the area, but underground its vast chambers are a perilous test for any treasure hunters seeking their fortune!

Unless, of course, that treasure hunter is a really popular guy with good cold resist. Then it's pretty easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SuFZsKVEJ8

The first floor undergound will always have a large open area with a river running through it.

Cragmenschs are are fairly common in Bethesda Susa. They're a pretty unique enemy type. They have very high armor, but very little hp. If you have ways around their armor they're easy to deal with, but if not you'll have to keep attacking until you get enough lucky hits that manage to penetrate.

The geomagnetic disk ignores armor, so it can handle them easily, but Stabtail is actually fairly well equipped to handle them even without it.

There's also a cloneling around. Clonelings don't fight themselves, but they make clones of nearby creatures to fight you. They need to be in melee range of the creature they want to clone, so it's best to kill them from afar before they can make your life harder.

This one is actually neutral to us, thanks to our robot rep, but "kill the cloneling before it gets close" is deeply-enough ingrained that I kill him anyway before realizing it. Oops!

Heading west we fight some more cragmenschs , without the disk this time. (They drop giant boulders on death rather than corpses).

Even as a melee-focused character, it's a coin flip whether we manage to do any damage at all when we hit them. But! Despite being made of rock, cragmenschs are still organic creatures, and can be poisoned and put to sleep. Sting, Lunge, Charge, and Flurry all guarantee an attack from our stinger, and with Sting it's guaranteed to penetrate as well.

With their small hp pools, our poison is an almost instant kill even when it rolls minimum damage. By cycling through our skills we can poison the cragmenschs pretty reliably. If you don't have poison, the sower seeds dropped by goatfolk sowers are another great option, since explosions ignore armor.

The stairs down will (almost) always be in the bottom right - the next floor is a special one with a semi-fixed layout.

It's troll hunting time.

The glowing liquid is convalescence, which heals anything standing it in 1 hp per turn.

But the real focus here is Jotun. The first of the trolls, Jotun has throwing axes, regular axes, and the ability to dismember limbs.

I have a bioscanning bracelet on, which lets us see his precice HP and AV/DV at the bottom of his window. His armor is actually pretty low - we have 180 hp and 15 AV, so in terms of raw stats we're actually better than him - if we just bump attack each other, he'll die well before we do. The dismemberment is what makes him scary, though - every time he does damage there's a chance we'll lose a limb. And while our fancy crysteel armor gives us lots of armor, it also drops our dodge down very low, so he's very likely to hit us when he attacks.

He also periodically spawns a troll foal nearby. They're pretty weak, but thanks to swarmer they make the boss hit harder when they're around.

I don't want to risk losing any arms, so I hang back and supervise while the clones fight.

He doesn't last long against all of them together.

On death, he drops the key we need to reach the next floor.

I mean, it's Qud, so you can always dig through the wall, or phase past it, or use clairvoyance and teleport, or bring the door to life and ask it to stand aside, or whatever, but this is the simplest way past.

In another area we find the second of the trolls. As we approach he demonstrates his fearsome psychic powers:

Spawning a 3x3 square of icy spiderwebs around us.

Honestly, this is pretty harmless even without good ice resistance.

And once you get up close he doesn't really have any tricks up his sleeve.

This guy always feels like a bit of a breather compared to the other trolls.

We descend once more and find a completely empty room a bunch of spiders??

What are you doing here?

I guess this guy must have scared off the troll, because there's nobody on the floor besides us and his posse. We move in to fight, when suddenly:

One of his friends intervenes.

Greater voiders will try to get in melee range, then teleport you and themselves into their lair, an enclosed space walled off from the rest of the map. If you prefer to keep your distance from enemies and avoid melee fights, getting caught out by one can be dangerous.

If you're a melee character, it's generally more of a "I'm not trapped here with you, you're trapped here with me" kind of deal.

That does leave us stranded in a small enclosed room, though. Always buy a pickaxe from Mafeo, kids!

Tunneling out we're greeted by a couple of troll foals? Weird, considering there's no troll on this floor, but they're pretty weak.

Suddenly we get punched out of nowhere!

This is Haggabah, the final troll. His gimmick is that he's invisible.

If I had planned ahead I would have brought the night vision goggles - with those you can actually see him. Instead we'll just brute force it with sleep gas and fugue clones.

Aha! He just attacked one of the clones on the top. We flurry at a possible location, and...

Success! Despite being invisible, Haggabah isn't any harder to hit if you manage to attack the right square. It's finding that square in the first place that's the hard part.

Unlike most enemies, Haggabah will occasionally pass up on attacking to walk around randomly. So finding him once doesn't mean we can just trade blows until the fight is over - we could go back to stumbling around while he punches us if moves away. This is another area where the poison stinger really shines - even if we lose track of him, he'll still take damage from the poison.

It's not long before the final troll falls. We take his gold key and prepare to head into Bethesda Susa proper.

Ugh, one second.

Okay, now, it's time to head into Bethesda Susa proper.

We meet a psyberneticist out in the hallway. These guys are always friendly.

We also meet some plastronods. These guys are normally hostile, but they're willing to let us pass since we took out that cult they hated.

But while they're both friendly to us they're not friendly to each other - the two start fighting in the hallway. Plastronods are weak, but they drop a little normality gas when they die - you can see some of it popped the psyberneticist's force wall.

Moving on we meet an eyeless crab. These guys are a pretty common enemy in Bethesda, but they too are big fans of our cult-fighting works and let us through without fighting.

There's a booster bot guarding some medical chests to the north. They're usually hostile as well, but once again our reputation precedes us.

We find our first ubernostrum in one of the chests. These are pretty great. They give a strong heal-over-time effect that lasts twice as long as a salve injector, and you can preserve them for some really strong cooking effects, but it's probably better to just hold on to them, because they're one of the few ways to regrow missing limbs.

Back in the center hallway, it appears our psyberneticist friend has tried and failed to fight the eyeless crabs.

We take her sword and beehive. It's what she would have wanted.

In the central room we meet the first baetyl who doesn't want to kill us!

That is a pretty great request!

We already preserved all our old hoarshrooms for cooking, which doesn't count in his eyes, but hoarshrooms actually grow right here in Bethesda Susa so there's a good chance we'll be able to finish this on this trip.

On the next floor down we see some of the remaining enemy types who still want to kill us.

Snailmothers don't fight much themselves, but they lay a bunch of eggs that hatch into ickslugs that swarm the level and leave slime everywhere and just generally make a huge mess of things.

Humors will rotate through the four elements (fire, ice acid, electricity), dealing damage of that type and giving off an explosion of it when they die. Killing them in acid form is the most annoying, because the acid pools stick around.

We summon the clones and see another fan favorite, the twinning lamprey.

Twinning lampreys always come in pairs, and when you kill one, the other will just spawn a full health replacement. You need to kill both of them on the same turn for them to stay dead. With our clones this is mostly just a matter of cutting them down until the kills line up right, but they can be a big pain with certain builds.

The humor's ice explosion was cold enough to freeze us even with our massive ice resist.

But we thawed out much faster than the other victims.

After this we end up killing the lampreys a half dozen times. Eventually it sticks.

Man, don't scare me like that! It's just one of the clones' disks, so it doesn't matter, but I have no idea how it got on fire in the first place.

Around the west side of the level a friendly cloneling spawns a clone, but it's hostile to us anyway. What a ripoff.

Your clone spawns naked, so depending on your build they can be really dangerous or a complete joke. If you have a powerful mutation you're not immune to, like disintegration or space-time vortex or something, it can be pretty scary.

In our case, not so much.

As we continue north a lurking beth suddenly erupts from the ground! Lurking beth are the advanced form of the young ivory you see in the early game. They're like landmines that do a bunch of damage, inflict a lot of bleed, and tend to spawn in clusters. It's easy to go from full to under half in a couple steps if you walk through a patch of them.

But since they're such big fans of our battle against the cult the other day, they just pop out to say hi without doing any damage. Thanks guys!

In the north we find on the biggest reasons to come to Bethesda (aside from the main quest, anyway)

Regeneration tanks are the other way to regrow missing limbs. This one is both fully intact and already loaded with cloning draught, so it's all ready to go. We'll definitely keep it in mind if we ever find ourselves dismembered.

We get shot at by a chaingun turret over here

But it turns out he's friendly, he was just aiming for the crabs. We hang back a bit, the turret kills a smaller crab and the king crab avenges his death.

The circle of life.

Another floor down.

We find a real book in one of the chests here. Books with white titles are randomly generated markov chain nonsense, but the yellow titled books are human written ones with lore.

In this case it's some speculation on the in-universe reason for the reputation modifiers we get from some gear. Some of the books have important backstory for the setting, but there's also fun fluff like this.

Nothing to say here, I just really like "scuttlefriend".

In the center we can see that a snailmother must have been running around, because there's a bunch of ickslugs coming this way.

Haha, sure thing buddy. I think vinters can sell cheese, maybe?

As we try to leave we get suddenly ambushed!

There's a decent amount of husks like this scattered around Bethesda, and most of them are just inanimate husks, but sometimes one will be a real basilisk. They're bulky and they can lower your movement speed for a bit, but with how little in the dungeon is hostile the movespeed penalty doesn't really matter.

We keep descending.

We're eight stratum down now. Bethesda is the deepest dungeon we've seen so far by a longshot.

Another cloneling manages to tag us.

I got confused when a force wall popped up over us here, but it turns out there's a psyberneticist to the south who's fighting the crabs.

Eh, that's a bit harder. Wild rice only grows naturally in the moon stair, which is not someplace we'll be heading for a while. If we see it in the shop I'll buy some, but this Baetyl might have to wait a while.

Turning the corner we seem some alchemy tables. The alchemist is probably nearby, so we want to be on our best behavior.

The alchemist is a special merchant who sets up shop here in Bethesda.

He doesn't restock his goods, but he has one of every liquid in the game, including all the Fun Liquids.

We hand over a bunch of gems in exchange for a dram of sunslag. Drinking sunslag permanently raises your quickness by 1, and you can get up to a total of 10 from it before it stops doing anything for you. That's not a huge buff, but it's still pretty nice to have if we can get it.

We have enough hoarshrooms for the baetyl now, so we head back upstairs to the floor it's on.

Two mutation points is a fantastic reward. Multiple arms is maxed out now, so we can't level it any further without using another rapid advance on it.

bye

Nine stratum down.

We pass by the friendly natives, when suddenly our peaceful journey is interrupted.

A Rimewyk! Rimewyks are infamous...

For being cute little guys who don't hurt anyone :kimchi:

Aww, it's okay buddy.

More seriously, this is where our massive pile of cold resistance pays off. The general experience for a new player who goes into Bethesda blind is something like this:
  • You turn a corner. A rimewyc freezes you solid
  • The rimewyc walks up to you. You can't do anything.
  • The rimewyc bites you for 30+ damage a hit. You die

Being frozen prevents you from taking most actions, so if you're not prepared it's easy to totally helpless as it kills you. So what can you do? Well, mental mutations still work, if you have any of them. You can teleport yourself somewhere safe to thaw out, or attack with light manipulation, or sunder his mind as he tries to walk up. Some physical mutations work too, like emitting gas. You can also still use injectors - blaze injectors make you immune to being frozen, and rubbergum injectors raise your ice resistance, both of which can help get you free. Salve injectors can help you stay alive long enough to melt, although the rimewyc can almost certainly outdamage it. If you have allies, they can fight it even if you're frozen. And the frost breath itself is on a cooldown, so once he's spent it he's limited to melee until it's back up.

Now, if we didn't have all this ice resist and had to fight a rimewyc legitimately, our build is actually pretty well suited to it. If we get a turn to react before it uses its freezing ray, the best move is probably to summon the fugue clones. The freezing ray only hits in a straight line, so it won't hit all of them and the unfrozen clones are free to fight. It's important to use temporal fugue before we get frozen - even though it's a mental mutation (and thus usable while frozen), our clones are perfect copies including our temperature, so they would all spawn in frozen too. If we don't get a turn to react, though, it's still fine, because we can just emit sleep gas, even while frozen. The rimewyc would pass out before it can melee us, and we get to thaw out in peace. It could still be dangerous, especially if there are other enemies around to capitalize on it or if we have skills still on cooldown, but overall we have enough options that I think we would be fine.

That's all hypothetical, though. We do have ludicrous ice resist, so instead we level off the completely harmless lizard without doing anything special.

I pick up the next level of the dual wield tree, bringing our natural offhand up to 110% chance to attack with jab.

Ten stratum down.

That's not happening.

It turns out Bethesda is pretty trivial when barely anything is even hostile to you.

As we go down the stairs, we are instantly hit by the rimewyc's freeze ray before we get to take a turn. There's multiple crabs around to swarm us and a cragmensch in the back who could throw boulders at an immobilized adventurer. For most characters this would be an immediate crisis scenario that demands careful play or death.

I didn't mention it earlier but Bethesda does have a working elevator you can use to skip this entire middle section, if you don't care about the loot or can't cross the floors in the middle for some reason. I've had to use it before (a cloneling cloned a bunch of twinning lamprey :gonk:) but there's generally a lot of baetyls and regen tanks in this middle section, so it's nice to clear it if you can. Loaded regen tanks with no enemies between them and the surface are an investment in your future!

12 stratum down and we find a very rare sight. Most regen tanks have convalescence with no cloning draught, but you will very occasionally find the reverse, a tank with cloning draught but no convalescence dilluting it.

We'll hold on to this for later.

There's two baetyls on this floor, and both of their requests have the same issue - they want corpses that we'll automatically try to butcher into meat. If I remember I can try to turn off butchery when those enemies show up or grab the corpses manually, but it's easy to accidentally butcher the corpse and ruin the request.

13 stratum deep and we see a becoming nook. That means we're in the home stretch!

There's a broken tank here, but it has the right fluid in it, so if need be we could transfer it to a working tank to heal up.

As we explore the east half of the map a seeker confuses us and summons a space time vortex. I try to keep my distance despite not knowing exactly where it is.

Phew!

Past that is one last baetyl

And the chest with six credit wedges that always appears on this floor.

This floor always has this area, with the four becoming nooks and statues. If you're a truekin this floor is a fantastic reward for making it down.

We find some fun implants, but we'll just be selling them.

We descend once more into the deepest part of the site.

These last few floor always have the same threats. First we find a door that's fused shut, blocking off our exit.

It's surrounded by phase spider webs, although I don't see the spider anywhere. Phase spider webs move you out of phase when you get trapped in them, as if you had used the phasing mutation. I think the idea is that you can use them to get past the locked door? But honestly I find that most of the time I can never get stuck in them and just have to dig past.

Oh, there's the spider! Phase spiders have a neat gimmick. They're permanently phased, so they can only interact with other phased creatures. They'll just follow you around, imperious to your attacks, until you get caught in their web, and then they strike. But if you don't get stuck in their web then they can't interact with you, so this guy is harmless now.

I lure the spider away from the stairs and then sprint down so it doesn't follow me. The penultimate floor has a large hall with cryochambers containing some very dangerous creatures.

It also has a juicing cannibal with a rocker launcher who can end up freeing people when his shots miss.

Yempuris Phi is only ever found here, and spreads incredibly aggressively if it gets to thaw.

But the most interesting specimen is in the last cryochamber.

We break down the walls and prepare for a fight.

Saad Amus is completely invincible while frozen, so you can't cheese the fight too hard, but nothing says we can't prepare the battlefield a bit.

Jokes on me, though. He wakes up and knocks two of the daggers out of my hands before I'm ready.

Saad Amus has a lot of health, wields a vibro weapon that can ignore armor, and likes to disarm you, which can remove both melee and ranged weapons. He can be a tough opponent, but with the power of our mutations we should be able to take him down.

I get the clones out and he knocks a third dagger out of my hand. It would be a lot better if we had been able to summon the clones while they had their full set of weapons, but it'll have to do.

There's no point trying to reequip our missing weapons while he's right here - it takes a turn that he'll spend to just disarm us again anyway.

After trading blows for a bit he suddenly disappears in a puff of flame. (He has a jetpack)

He approaches again from the south.

Thanks to the bioscanning bracelet I can see he's just around half health.

Okay, that's getting way to close. I should stop being stingy.

Ow. We're back out of oneshot range, so I back into the sleep gas to regroup.

The Saad tries to follow, but passes out.

We use a salve injector, heal up...

And then finish the fight with a decisive charge! Our rewards for taking down the ancient Saad are well worth the trouble.

The Flume Flier gives us the same jetpack charge Amus had. We're a melee character without a good gap closer, so it can be really useful. It's also very fun to see the fugue clones all dashing around with it.

The virbrokhopesh is a fantastic longsword. It's vibro with good base damage and no energy requirements (but can still be emp'ed). And remember how we had an aggressive stance that raised our penetration? If we use that with the vibrokhopesh...

It works! You can read the ≈+2 as "two penetration more than the enemy's AV" This is good enough that I'm willing to give up a dagger to use it as a mainhand weapon.

At last, we arrive at our destination. If we weren't favored by the mechanimists, this would be a final gauntlet - the elevator would lock behind us and we'd have to fight our way through to the baetyl.

It wouldn't be the worst fight in the world. Most of these guys are pretty weak, and our sleep gas would be able to lock a lot of them down. Still, they have a couple strong espers here who could be dangerous. And anyway, it's nice to handle things peacefully from time to time.

And we're done! We recoil back to Grit Gate to let them know the good news.

(I've tried to make the arrival location a little cozier)

Otho heads to the stairs and descends. The stairs are locked, so we can't follow after him. Now that we've been promoted we can meet the final two enclave members, so let's kill some time and introduce ourselves.

In the upper left, managing the water supplies, we meet Aloysius.

Behind the glass doors in the center is a large mainframe. Interacting with it brings up a screen like the one when we use a becoming nook, rather than the usual dialogue menu.

Nice! You can only get one random secret from Ereshkigal, but a village location is a pretty good one.

Sparafucile is selling a very fun data disk, but we'll never have the int to reach tinker III. Nobody else has anything of interest, so we head back to the office.

I'm sure Otho doesn't mind.

They're still playing coy with what this signal is, but we have our next quest: head (back) to Omonporch and negotiate for use of the spindle.

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 5, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Now that was quite a certain type of Bethesda Susa run lmao

Also last time I was there the cannibal broke the phi chamber and yeah that poo poo gets EVERYWHERE

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I humbly request you edit in a link to the Bethesda Susa music at the start of that post, it’s so good

I once had a troll chamber that somehow merged with a jungle biome and had a bunch of banana trees and legendary hostile animals, and also an elite troupe of putus. It was sheer nonsense. Also I’ve literally never even seen the alchemist; they’ve exploded themselves before I saw them every time

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Pigbuster posted:

I humbly request you edit in a link to the Bethesda Susa music at the start of that post, it’s so good

I once had a troll chamber that somehow merged with a jungle biome and had a bunch of banana trees and legendary hostile animals, and also an elite troupe of putus. It was sheer nonsense. Also I’ve literally never even seen the alchemist; they’ve exploded themselves before I saw them every time

Oh, good thought.

I only noticed it when putting together the update, but what really surprises me is that the Alchemist is injured when I talked to him. Was he in a fight without blowing himself up?

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Snake Maze posted:

Your clone spawns naked, so depending on your build they can be really dangerous or a complete joke. If you have a powerful mutation you're not immune to, like disintegration or space-time vortex or something, it can be pretty scary.

While generally I'd expect the mental mutations to be the scariest thing your hostile clone could have, a certain natural equipment mutation can be incredibly dangerous as well. And when I say natural equipment, I mean horns. Since your clone ends up without anything else they'll happily try to headbutt you to death and those things really hurt, having both an incredibly high base damage at even pretty middling levels and easily one of (if not the) strongest bleed effects in the game.

E: And bleed can stack, at least time I seriously played; it can rapidly get totally out of control.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 5, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Edit: I'm sorry for the walls of text? I like to nerd out about game mechanics. I know I'm missing a lot of little details, probably, as it's been a while since I've read about the relevant mechanics on the wiki.

I think this is great info, thank you. It helps me make sense of more of the bonuses and adjustments I encounter with gear.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Your walls of text are fine, Qud is a game that is absolutely rich in text and deserves it to be posted so people can read if for themselves.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
If the alchemist is alive, I can never resist popping them with a love injector and just taking every phial they have. Instant free access to one dram of every liquid in the game.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm loving the run, Snake. There's a very well-executed grandiosity in Qud, like an old king of a decadent city.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
drat, I was so sure we'd see a neutron flux YASD. Holy hell that was a smooth Bethesda run

Snake Maze posted:

I'm sure Otho doesn't mind.

lmao

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Considering how far single dram of liquid goes, and how little a dram is, is our character the size of David the Gnome or are the denizens of Qud just that efficient when it comes to using liquids? I'm guessing the latter.

Snake Maze posted:

This run is not going to be very helpful to new players, lol.

“Ah cragsmench. Just use your geomagnetic disk to handle them easily! Rimewycs? They can’t hurt you, no need to worry”

Just how rare are those sort of reputation pinata random sites? Because all that rep gain was what, 10x as much as you'd gained from the rest of the game up to that point?

All for the low, low price of making a (now dead?) cult think you are Turbo Super Hitler Satan.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just how rare are those sort of reputation pinata random sites? Because all that rep gain was what, 10x as much as you'd gained from the rest of the game up to that point?

All for the low, low price of making a (now dead?) cult think you are Turbo Super Hitler Satan.

Pretty rare. Off the top of my head only Glow Wight and Naphtali Tribe historic sites will generate with that many legendaries. There is a bit of a sliding scale to it, though, since there are other enemy types that will still generate a lot of legendaries, even if it's not quite the crowd you get with glow wights. And there are also enemy types that are rewarding in other ways - a mysterious stranger or dromad caravan site will mean you're set for cash for the rest of the playthrough, turret or turret tinker sites can get you tons of high-tier energy cells and tinkering bits, that sort of thing.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Snapjaws and Baboons can generated with like a dozen legendaries, too. It's less common with snapjaws, though.
In my experience, Baboons is actually the most common, and they're frequently found in hills biomes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

They spawn in every game but you don't always find the clues to their location(s) in time to do them at an appropriate level, and sometimes they spawn with inhabitants who are way too dangerous or tedious to bother with.

If you start in Joppa I believe it always gives away the location of the lowest-tier Sultan site, but I don't remember if it's true of generated village starts.

e: as people have mentioned the density of hero NPCs varies a lot with inhabitant type but even "bad" sultan sites will generally give you more rep events than any other single location

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you start in Joppa I believe it always gives away the location of the lowest-tier Sultan site, but I don't remember if it's true of generated village starts.

The statue in Joppa's graveyard still spawns in the ruins of Joppa if you start in a random village, so as long as you know to look for it you can always get the early game historic site location.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Between the music of the various zones and the vivid descriptions of everything, the game really gives off a vibe you don't see in other games, it's pretty incredible.

I guess to better describe it, I really appreciate the degree to which they go to make the setting a character in the story. And I guess you could point to other games like Disco Elysium or some horror games for a similar effect.

MuffinsAndPie fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 5, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Considering how far single dram of liquid goes, and how little a dram is, is our character the size of David the Gnome or are the denizens of Qud just that efficient when it comes to using liquids? I'm guessing the latter.

One piece of armor in game is literally a stillsuit from dune, not the same name but same concept. Water is life in qud, it is precious, do not waste it. Live

And

DRINK

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

We teleport back to Ezra to ask our water-sibling for a favor.

You need to be favored with at least four factions to convene the council. You'll generally meet the requirements without going out of your way for it, though. Dogs are a freebie, since you start favored with them, and the Barathrumites are easy as well since you get rep just for advancing the main quest. There's a good chance you're favored with the Mechanimists for Bethesda Susa, wardens are pretty easy with how many guaranteed ones there are, and if you ever did quests for a village but didn't learn a skill from them you probably ended up favored as well.

As Otho alluded to, it's also possible to simply kill the Earl, but it's more rewarding to resolve the quest legitimately.

We have some time to kill before the delegates arrive, so we head back towards the Six Day Stilt. Along the way we find some ruins with a couple fun things in it.

I take the spiral borer, but do the mature and responsible thing and don't jump through the mysterious gate. I do mark the location for later, though.

Back at the stilt, we cash in our rep to learn Proselytize. Proselytize lets you try to recruit an NPC as a follower. The roll involves some luck, your ego, and your level. Our ego is nothing special, so we'll have the most success recruiting people lower level than ourselves, but there's still some fun stuff we can do with this.

After this we do a loop around the shops and make a few purchases.

Some brain brine from an ichor merchant

Some wild rice from a kipper

A data disk from a tinker

And a well timed book from a bookbinder.

On the way back east we pass by Kyakukya, and notice something interesting.

The lair of the Ape God! We saw a statue of him a while back.

Now, I'm a pretty experienced Qud player, and I have a lot of achievements, but I don't have all of them yet.

So while it's a little risky, I decide we should pay His Holiness a visit.

Oboroqoru's lair is a massive underground jungle.

Unfortunately, even though we're liked by apes, this is a holy site, and they don't like us enough to let us through peacefully.

We descend through the jungle

The clones play with their new jetpack

We find a nice chest

We level up

And finally, we reach the big man himself.

Unfortunately, fugue is still on cooldown when we find him, and I realize the batteries in the bio-scanning bracelet have died, so we're not ready to fight just yet.

We drop some sleep gas to buy time while the bracelet boots up.

880 hp! Tons of armor and a lot more dodge than I expected, too. I try to lunge at him to see if we can get some poison ticking away while we wait for fugue to come off cooldown.

It doesn't go great!

I retreat into the cloud and pop a salve injector.

Fortunately, Oboroqoru seems hesitant to enter it. Fugue still has a while left on cooldown, and this floor isn't clear of enemies yet, so this isn't a great place to fight.

We even get ping ponged across the map trying to clear out some ogre apes.

But eventually the lesser apes are cleared out, and we're able to camp out in a cloud of sleep gas until all our cooldowns are back and we're at full health. Time to fight.

We summon the clones. Half of them immediately jetpack off into the distance. I'm beginning to remember why I don't usually give the flume flier to allies.

We're able to start doing a little damage, but Oboroqoru hits back hard.

We have tons of healing items left, better to use them early.

I think this is the first time one of our clones has died outright. Not a great sign.

The clones have all timed out or been killed. Oboroqoru once agains knocks us below half health before we get to move. He's taken maybe 100 damage total, and is still in great shape.

As Stabtail's life begins flashing before his eyes, he remembers words of wisdom from veteran explorers.

We make a break for the stairs, drop sleep gas to prevent anyone from following, and recoil away as soon as we have enough distance.

Oboroqoru lives... for now.

Still injured from the fight, we limp over to the porch to see that the emissaries have arrived.

"A hideous specimen" is the default description for creatures that don't otherwise have one. Diplomacy droids generally only appear as a fallback when a faction doesn't have a creature to send as a representative.

Chavvah sends a much prettier emissary.

The four factions that show up are randomly selected from the ones that favor you. In our case, we have the Villagers of Kimish, Chavvah, the Tree of Life, the Fellowship of Warden, and succulents.

Betraying one of them can get us an heirloom, a high tier relic like what you'd find at the end of a sultan site. Usually you'll have no way of knowing what you'll get, but that book we bought actually gives us the answer.

It only tells us the item type, so it's still a gamble, but you can get some really good stuff. If we're going to betray someone, it looks like we probably want to do it in favor of the villagers of Kimish, although the Wardens could potentially be good too.

The stakes are too high for a boring answer, so now is the time to decide. What will we do?
  • BETRAY KIMISH
  • BETRAY THE TREE OF LIFE
  • BETRAY THE WARDENS
  • BETRAY SUCCULENTS
  • INVOKE THE CHAOS SPIEL

Only you can decide.

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 6, 2023

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
There should be a law against hitting enter twice and posting the post early instead of adding new lines, imo

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
INVOKE THE CHAOS SPIEL. Could always do with a chaotic spiel.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Invoke even if highly entropic entities don't like us.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
While the Wardens aren't cops and this is a very unfair comparison, still gently caress cops. Betray the wardens.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Betray Kimish, you can never have too many knives.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 6, 2023

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

wiegieman posted:

Betray Kimish, you can never have too many knives.

It's the other way around - we choose someone to betray and someone to spare, and the faction we spare gives us the heirloom. If we want Kimish's knives, we need to betray anybody else.

Edit: To be clear, I'll be minmaxing the spared faction - If we betray anyone other than Kimish I'll spare Kimish for the knife, if we betray Kimish I'll spare the wardens for the helmet.

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 6, 2023

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Oh, well, betray the Succulents then. Who cares what some aloe plants think?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I think it’s Betray Succulents.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Snake Maze posted:

We summon the clones. Half of them immediately jetpack off into the distance. I'm beginning to remember why I don't usually give the flume flier to allies.

Thinkin' about Smashy, the flume-flier Rhinox

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i dunno what ??? means but i'm always in favor of letting chaos reign

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

chaos

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
gently caress the plants.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Chaos

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Fun fact about Oboroquru the Ape God: Every creature in Qud has defined pronouns ranging from he/him and she/her to more unusual ones like xyr/xym. Oboroquru has a completely unique set of He/Him pronouns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Chaos