Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I recall correctly, for greenfield development, the levels basically break down as:
:words:

Just wanted to thank you for this, I got into our collective hallucination without formal pedagogy from the sysadmin side and am more equipped than I think or can remind myself most of the time. Levels and tiers and titles mix me up and obfuscate actual work sometimes. I gotta do some resume polishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

So in the interest of transparency and being forthright, I'd like to talk about the last 1-on-1 I had with my manager. See my last post if you don't know what the gently caress is going on.

---

Background

This week, I had my first 1-on-1 after last week's warning that I was not meeting expectations as an L4. In that time, my manager started a support check-in!

Support check-ins precede Needs Improvement performance reviews i.e. PIPs. Therefore, a support check-in implies that your manager has singled you out as a potential target for a layoff or outright firing, to be determined at some point in the future. This means I'm on the chopping block.

I take these very seriously as a professional and do not gently caress around with them. So I came into this 1-on-1 with a plan.

My meeting prep

My approach was to dig into and record the following:

1. Clarify and enumerate expectations for me at my level, and as a member of my team.
2. Clarify and enumerate where I am not meeting expectations for my level, and as a member of my team. Ask for and note down specific examples.
3. Clarify and enumerate steps to take to begin fulfilling these expectations, how, and what support I'll receive in doing so.

I also decided to propose making a 30-60-90 timeline to track accomplishments and goals for shoring my performance back up to L4 level over the next three months. I hoped to leave the meeting with progress on this timeline.

---

I was left unimpressed.

What expectations?

First, I asked if we could go over my first ask - what my expectations are as an L4 and as a team member.

The only explicit expectation I was told about was feature and subproject delivery. Based on the role profile for my level, I am expected to work independently and come up to solutions to problems independently (whether those solutions be technical, procedural, or organizational in nature). Additionally, I should own and drive these features and subprojects and their delivery. In essence, the expectation is "figure it out yourself".

That's it - my manager brought up no other expectation.

What did I gently caress up?

Next, I asked if we could go over my second ask - where and how I am not meeting expectations as an L4 and as a team member. I requested specific examples.

Example 1: Configuring ACLs.

Configuring ACLs started shortly after I first joined in Q4 2021. Requirements were determined by and set down by my predecessor, and then my predecessor left. I was expected to execute on them and own them (and the rest of the codebase) going forward.

I covered this in my last post, so refer to that for my experience.

My manager claims that I got sick of the back and forth and dumped the work on the lead dev over time. "The lead dev had to do it (and is still not done 8~9 months later)! You gave up!" Not in quite those words, but that's how it came off.

Example 2: Testing BGP connectivity.

According to my manager, this is the least impactful of all the examples.

Once upon a time we made a change to our codebase that broke BGP connectivity for a given type of device and the QA team lead got really mad at us for it. I then identified that we should be testing our own output for valid BGP connectivity, which he said was a good example of my role.

But then he said that I "gave up on it, as I see it". Which is NOT the truth - what happened is that I determined it to be a larger amount of effort than I expected and when I reported that we reprioritized it and backlogged it in favor of higher priority feature work.

When my manager brought it up, he admitted that it was a pretty flimsy reason.

Example 3: Expanded vendor testing.

Right now, I'm working on running our tests against devices from other vendors. This involves uncovering blockers, dealing with hardware vs. VM feature parity, and figuring out whether something we're emitting is either correct-but-unsupported or just straight up wrong. It's been slow due to a combination of burnout brain, our existing code (both core and test) being written for a wildly different set of assumptions, and a lot of back and forth with vendor reps and NEs.

My manager admitted that he had actually seen a lot of progress and improvement on this recently and that the decision to include it as a reason for the support check-in may have been premature. Regardless, it's one of the reasons I'm getting pre-PIPped.

His words were that I "had a lack of urgency" and "should have figured out the blockers and the true cost in time sooner". The takeaway is that I "need to be more communicative about project state".

In essence, his feedback boils down to "you gave up on too many things and dropped them on the floor and you're too slow and that makes you not good enough for L4".

What should I do?

Finally, I asked if we could go over my third ask - what steps I should take next to begin fulfilling expectations, how, and what management support I will receive.

I did not get a clear or actionable response! My notes only have some discussion regarding the disparity between the expectations my manager and I write together for yearly performance review (things like "get feature Foo done" or "contribute to KPI Bar"), and the expectations of my role profile. The best I have is an echo of his response to my first ask: "Own things more and communicate more. Also read your role profile."

We did not come up with a 30-60-90, which he had not even thought about as an option. I offered to work on it and bring it to our next 1x1. (I don't think I should bother.)

The Check-In feedback

I also got the official support feedback, the stuff that goes on file. Paraphrased:

My takeaway

The expectations in the L4 role profile are valid. The implication that I am not meeting them for reasons that are specifically related to my competence as an engineer is not.

When pressed on the reasoning for a pre-PIP, my manager already walked back part of his original justification for the negative review. The remaining justification is flimsy.

When pressed on a plan for support going forward, my manager does not offer guidance or commit to any particular support action. Except for "I'll get one of the other devs on the team to mentor you".

---

Uh, yikes. I don't see a future on this team. If I don't find a better fit elsewhere in Google, I'm moving on.

I feel bad for the other team members. I wish them well, but...

Good lord, your manager is terrible. I’d expect more from them as well, a lot more. Obviously I’m only hearing your side, but you sound capable for you position. Maybe I’d recommend bringing up issues sooner to get earlier help working thru them, but this is common for engineers to kind of continually improve on.

Your team’s manager and some (all?) of the past ones sound really underprepared and/or unqualified. And wtf is the lead dev (devs?) doing? They should be regularly mentoring and shielding from this garbage. Your issues are pretty small, and the whole team sounds so dysfunctional that they aren’t being proactively addressed.

If I were in your shoes, then I’d be trying to move teams. Hopefully since this whole pre-pip might not be to an official hr documentation level. I’d start with an easy sound bite that avoids calling the team trash and focuses on how it helps the company by you contributing so much more someplace else. “My lack of familiarity with network protocols is blocking me from delivering at my full potential. My experience with *sometechonanotherteam* would really allow me to provide a lot more value to the company.” I don’t know, maybe get an AI to write something better.

I think there can be a lot of variation in the quality of teams in a large org. And I wouldn’t be surprised if there are teams that have an open spot and can fill it easier with an internal candidate. Worth a shot.

downout fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 2, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Unfortunately, Google is (edit: probably) trying to reduce headcount, so it’s unlikely that any teams have open spots. I’m also unhappy with the company itself for a multitude of reasons, so I may simply interview elsewhere entirely.

Doesn’t stop me from shopping around and talking to teams, though!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 5, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Are you sure that google is trying to reduce headcount? I know that you believe that, but I haven't seen much evidence on my end. It's not super hard to believe, but it's also not super obvious.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fair enough. A better way to put it is that I suspect that headcount is considered too high and that may affect the number of open positions.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Advertising revenue is down industrywide, it's not an unreasonable guess

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Google fired thousands of people earlier this year, it's not terribly surprising that hiring would be slow for awhile after that.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Fair enough. A better way to put it is that I suspect that headcount is considered too high and that may affect the number of open positions.

ohhh i see. i was a little confused 'cause i thought that hiring (including internal transfers) was officially frozen still. i was reading "hc is too high" as a "cull people or we'll layoff again" thing that seemed a bit much to me; what you're actually saying though is i think 100% correct.

i guess hiring might not actually be officially frozen, but it has indeed definitely slowed down considerably. at least i know that my org doesn't have any new hc for the foreseeable future. i literally thought hiring was still frozen until looking it up to make this response

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i guess practically, not hiring plus reducing benefits plus attrition does mean that headcount goes down. but at this point i don't really trust c-level leadership to do things like understand the obvious outcome of their actions, so i could absolutely see them looking around in a year, doing a surprised pikachu face that a ton of people left, and then mashing the "hire every warm body" button

goddamn i'm glad that i like my org's leadership. this poo poo would be absolutely unbearable if i didn't. i'm really sorry that you have to put up with all this stupidity from your local team too, pollyanna.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s all good. The fact that things are so messy and unclear, like the whole hiring/transfer freezer burn poo poo, is exactly what fucks me off about the company these days. I don’t trust that it has any idea what it’s doing or wants to do.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I know that's just a turn of phrase, but it's worth keeping in mind that companies don't want to do things. The people running them do, and they often have different ideas about what's good, or maybe no idea at all.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

that it has any idea what it’s doing or wants to do.

This part has been crystal clear for at least a decade. But it didn't matter since advertising always paid the bills but now profit margins are getting tight. Or at least that's my guess

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Should I take a pay cut for a job that's 4 days a week and also much more interesting to me? Feels like an easy yes, right?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Depends, are there any benefits or other things you need full-time employee status for? i.e. poo poo you won’t get cause you’re down on paper as working less than 40 hours per week.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

prom candy posted:

Should I take a pay cut for a job that's 4 days a week and also much more interesting to me? Feels like an easy yes, right?

If you don't need the money then yeah, I'd make that jump every time.

I don't actually know what I'd value a long weekend every week at, but it would be pretty high I think. Feels like it is relatively rare even though you do sometimes see people saying "just ask for it" - I sort of can't imagine any of my employers past or present jumping for it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I dearly wish I could find a 4 day/week dev job (with bennies). But it seems incredibly hard to find. I'd even do it for like 65-70% of competitive FTE salary, instead of 80%.

But America is way too set in its ways to consider it. So instead they overpay for 5 days/week with a bunch of wasted time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We do 4 days a week, and half days Fridays in the summer. When school starts in the fall we go back to 5 days a week. Productivity is about flat between the two periods from where I sit

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hadlock posted:

We do 4 days a week, and half days Fridays in the summer.

i think a lot of people do, just don't tell the bossman

i'd give up a disproportionate amount of money to have it be officially sanctioned and totally without any expectation of being available on fridays, and i wager that overall productivity would be nearly the same. seems like a screaming deal for the company but welp.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

prom candy posted:

I'm curious where you find a deal like this. Is it a charity or academic thing, or just a regular business that wouldn't have enough work for you?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

this reminds me of one of the most enraging articles i've read in a while

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/teamwork/4-day-workweek-productivity-wellbeing-results

these guys were living the 4 day work week dream, not even doing 10 hour days, had full support and were doing fine, and still said "lol nah we should go back to 5 day weeks"

c'mon!!!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Why would you go for Fridays off instead of Wednesdays off?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

leper khan posted:

Why would you go for Fridays off instead of Wednesdays off?

Perma 3 day weekend and imo there’s something to the continuity of work days

I definitely need to “settle in” to work again after a weekend, with like an hour before I’ve really collected my thoughts and I’m ready to get back to what I was doing Friday. Making that happen twice a work week instead of once sounds annoying

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Erg posted:

Perma 3 day weekend and imo there’s something to the continuity of work days

I definitely need to “settle in” to work again after a weekend, with like an hour before I’ve really collected my thoughts and I’m ready to get back to what I was doing Friday. Making that happen twice a work week instead of once sounds annoying

lmao look at this person who doesn't need an hour every morning to figure out what they were doing the day before

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

lmao look at this person who doesn't need an hour every morning to figure out what they were doing the day before

This is why I write notes to myself in uncommented plain text in my code. It won't compile until I remove it, and hopefully I read it first.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

the power of having a physical notebook with helpful reminders like
* docker
* unit tests - fail?
* add ticket description

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Erg posted:

the power of having a physical notebook with helpful reminders like
* docker
* unit tests - fail?
* add ticket description

+1

My predecessor at my First Real Job left behind a couple of half-filled-out 6x9" gregg-ruled steno books (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007LTKFS), which are nearly impossible to find in 2023 but I have like a decade of them filled out collecting dust in a drawer somewhere, and a fresh one on my desk right now.

Anytime I had a task to fix something that was broken I'd write it down on the list, and then any time I fixed that thing I'd cross out the item. When the page got full (every couple of days) I'd transcribe the list (sans crossed out items) to a new page. Anything that got transcribed more than a couple of times I'd escalate to my boss

You can do it in a .md file but a tangible physical list works really well for some people

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 6, 2023

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I try and settle stuff out every day to some level of 'stoppable' and then update whatever task/etc I'm using to track the activity; I keep a work journal but it's more to just be like 'what the gently caress did I do last week' and less 'what should I be doing tomorrow'.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

StumblyWumbly posted:

I'm curious where you find a deal like this. Is it a charity or academic thing, or just a regular business that wouldn't have enough work for you?

It's a company I've done some contract work for that potentially wants me more steady but can't afford what I want to make for 5 days a week. I threw out a 4 day offer and it seems like they may be into it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quote:

You are responsible for delivering. You originate the solutions to the problem and (typically) implement it. You don’t rely on others to solve the problem for you. Merely coding up the solution that others provide is not sufficient for L4.

Oh my god, I think I know what’s going on here. My manager sees my work, my reprioritized projects, my coordination with stakeholders, my discussions with engineers on explanations and transfer of domain knowledge, and all the rabbit holes I’ve had to go down, and thinks that all I’m doing is sandbagging until some other engineer gives me a solution that I can code up. The dude thinks I’m just lazy.

Now I’m loving pissed. He’s accusing me of being dumb and useless and that I don’t deserve to be an L4 not because I Can’t Code, but because I Won’t Code!

gently caress me, I’m actually offended. If I wasn’t motivated against putting effort into this position before, I certainly am now. And if this is what the dude thinks of me, he can find someone else to fill my spot.

We have another meeting today and I don’t know if it’s really worth putting together a 30-60-90 or whatever. Trust has broken down between me and my manager, maybe some other parts of the team too for all I know. If that’s the case, then this is already lost and I need to move on immediately.

Edit: okay I calmed down. I’m having insane sadbrains today because of this stress + stress from other life things building up. Sorry for getting upset.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 6, 2023

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

prom candy posted:

It's a company I've done some contract work for that potentially wants me more steady but can't afford what I want to make for 5 days a week. I threw out a 4 day offer and it seems like they may be into it.

As others pointed out, if benefits are on-par and it's a stable FTE gig, I'd do it. I did it 6 months ago so a non-profit could afford me, and I'm so glad I did and would do it again.

Having a 3-day weekend is great, but a 4-day one is even better. Always be moving goalpostsdreaming.

Pollyanna posted:

Edit: okay I calmed down. I’m having insane sadbrains today because of this stress + stress from other life things building up. Sorry for getting upset.

I'm sorry you're going though that crap, Pollyanna. I'm sure we've all been there at some point, and sometimes it's just time to move on. If someone is not willing to work with you on issues, or if your starting point is vastly different than theirs, the best thing you can do is look out for yourself and not fall for the sunken cost crap. I've wasted a couple of years cumulatively trying to fix things or waiting for them to be fixed that I wish I could have back now.

gbut fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 6, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Honestly, I think I should just straight up take a break in employment for a while. I’ve got a lot of neglected things in life to work on (taking care of my senescing cat, therapy, discipline, life direction, housekeeping, personal happiness) and continuing to ignore them will gently caress me over more and more the longer I wait.

I’ll explore this later today, but in the meantime, I’d like to hear about people’s experiences taking a longer leave of absence or period of unemployment to work on themselves. Especially about how it impacts future career prospects and how to stay afloat in the meantime financially/medically/etc.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I would also like to hear this because I have a shitload of savings and no babes to spend it on

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
everything was fine the 4 times ive done it. incorporate a one peep "consulting" company, maybe

works a lot better since obamacare, frankly

i usually tend to have a big fat mathematical project that im working on during them so i have no problems with having no purpose during the duration. you can basically have absolutely no purpose besides hanging around on a beach, but only really for 2-8 weeks

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 6, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

CPColin posted:

I would also like to hear this because I have a shitload of savings and no babes to spend it on

txt me

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you do get a lot more peeps suspicious about gaps outside of figgielands prime and secondus

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Honestly, I think I should just straight up take a break in employment for a while. I’ve got a lot of neglected things in life to work on (taking care of my senescing cat, therapy, discipline, life direction, housekeeping, personal happiness) and continuing to ignore them will gently caress me over more and more the longer I wait.

I’ll explore this later today, but in the meantime, I’d like to hear about people’s experiences taking a longer leave of absence or period of unemployment to work on themselves. Especially about how it impacts future career prospects and how to stay afloat in the meantime financially/medically/etc.

i didn't sit around writing a dissertation for a couple years, i did neural net research and ran Jones Engineering.

like, it's _true_ that i programmed some neural net poo poo for my dissertation, and that i took on some contract work towards the end of grad school for extra cash. but my resume does not mention that all the programming was done in like a week or two if you add it up, or that the contracting was only like 10 hours a week

get yourself a dba (doing business as, not database admin) and at least one client with a low workload (or a personal project, that works too) and suddenly you're not unemployed at all, you're a small business owner. try not to let it go to your head.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Is it a gap if I register an LLC and pretend to run it?

e:f;b. I've truly tapped into the hive mind of these forums lately

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

gbut posted:

Is it a gap if I register an LLC and pretend to run it?

no sir

hell, we could pay each other a buck and declare that we had n customers

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Or sign an NDA with yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Yeah. I have a headshrinker (nurse practitioner with a specialization in mental health) and after one really bad day, I called her up and was like "I need help, this job is killing me." She set up an appointment over zoom, we talked, she gave me the note and pulled me out of work. I had to check in with her over zoom once a week and she dealt with the paperwork for insurance and giving advice on how to get this covered by insurance etc.

Is that different from a psychiatric specialization? Trying to figure out how to find one. I'm so burnt out but I am worried I'll just get rejected. My primary was just like nope sorry all your tests were normal so there's nothing I can do.