Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tried out Yooka-Laylee with my daughter. It looks nice and is charming, but I can see what people were saying about the level design. It's kind of muddled and I don't really know where I am or should be going at any given moment. I found the highest point of the first level and naturally devoted a few minutes to climbing it, only to find that there was loving nothing there.

It is an extremely on-the-nose homage, down to the music being a dead ringer for 90s Rare and the main characters being exact personality matches for Banjo and Kazooie themselves, but I guess that's what they were going for so it worked.

That said my daughter loves it and is completely mesmerized so I guess I'm playing through!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
those games were Bad and only intended for latchkey kids with soft plastic brains and too much time on their hands. one of my favorite genres. yooka laylee also being bad but your child loving it is not a surprise. show her conquer's bad fur day when she turns 18 and is old enough to get fart jokes

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Frog Act posted:

idk but it seems important for doing damage at a distance. the stats are pretty baffling tbh, a lot of stuff is ostensibly an objective downgrade but in practice merely feels different. I think the low TTK makes a lot of stuff less relevant than it might initially appear? still trying to break myself of the “look for biggest green and slap it on there” habit

the reason for this is because a lot of the stats barely matter

the TTK is a big factor. the difference in the TTK between the AK 74 and AK 15 is IIRC 20 miliseconds, while the average human reaction time is 200. the groza's TTK is 185ms, the AUG has by far the highest in the game at 300. with basically any gun there is almost no way to react to getting shot by it, you can kill people twice over before you or the person you're shooting at is able to react to it.

armor also is also a bit useless. for a lot of weapons you will die in the same amount of time regardless of if you're wearing a light/medium/heavy helmet, and if you don't die you have 100 milliseconds to somehow react to being shot. the exo armor does sort of make a noticeable difference but still gets hosed over by aim punch.

aim punch randomly moves your crosshairs by a few degrees each time a bullet hits the player. one of the reasons why the vector is so good is because it has a 20 round ROF, giving it potentially the most frequent aim punch in the game, twice as much as the FAL despite having the same DPS. the vector can also pretty reliably hit targets up to 80 meters, so even if you're trying to tap fire with an AR at the edge of its effective range there's still a chance that you're hosed because of the aim punch.

accuracy also barely effects where your bullets go in comparison to other games, the actual stat that determines long range accuracy for automatics is almost entirely horizontal recoil. since it randomly moves the crosshair right or left it's impossible to compensate for, unlike vertical recoil, and it starts having a noticeably negative effect on accuracy at around 0.8-1.1. that's why the SMGs can full blast at 80+ meters and half the ARs are lucky if they can land hits. the Vector has high recoil for an SMG, at around 1.1, while all of the battle rifle type ARs have around 2.2.

the margins are just so low that the noticeable difference between a lot of guns is mostly just recoil, reload time and rate of fire

turn off the TV has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Jul 6, 2023

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/MDickieDotcom/status/1676347343157723139?s=20

thnak gently caress we still have REAL game devs with their nose to teh grindstone

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

the reason for this is because a lot of the stats barely matter

the TTK is a big factor. the difference in the TTK between the AK 74 and AK 15 is IIRC 20 miliseconds, while the average human reaction time is 200. the groza's TTK is 185ms, the AUG has by far the highest in the game at 300. with basically any gun there is almost no way to react to getting shot by it, you can kill people twice over before you or the person you're shooting at is able to react to it.

armor also is also a bit useless. for a lot of weapons you will die in the same amount of time regardless of if you're wearing a light/medium/heavy helmet, and if you don't die you have 100 milliseconds to somehow react to being shot. the exo armor does sort of make a noticeable difference but still gets hosed over by aim punch.

aim punch randomly moves your crosshairs by a few degrees each time a bullet hits the player. one of the reasons why the vector is so good is because it has a 20 round ROF, giving it potentially the most frequent aim punch in the game, twice as much as the FAL despite having the same DPS. the vector can also pretty reliably hit targets up to 80 meters, so even if you're trying to tap fire with an AR at the edge of its effective range there's still a chance that you're hosed because of the aim punch.

accuracy also barely effects where your bullets go in comparison to other games, the actual stat that determines long range accuracy for automatics is almost entirely horizontal recoil. since it randomly moves the crosshair right or left it's impossible to compensate for, unlike vertical recoil, and it starts having a noticeably negative effect on accuracy at around 0.8-1.1. that's why the SMGs can full blast at 80+ meters and half the ARs are lucky if they can land hits. the Vector has high recoil for an SMG, at around 1.1, while all of the battle rifle type ARs have around 2.2.

the margins are just so low that the noticeable difference between a lot of guns is mostly just recoil, reload time and rate of fire

yeah this is all extremely true. I just unlocked the SG850 or whatever and it’s ostensibly just worse than other guns. in reality though, it’s actually pretty drat good, it seems. I suspect this will be true to some degree with every weapon

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the best gun in the game is the one that feels to best for you to use

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

https://twitter.com/MDickieDotcom/status/1676347343157723139?s=20

thnak gently caress we still have REAL game devs with their nose to teh grindstone

MDickie has been alone at the top in the field of wrestling games for 10+ years now, and he also found the time to make a game in the same engine simulating what it's like to do hard time AND a game where Jesus preaches at you until you're so good at magic you can destroy the world

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

MDickie has been alone at the top in the field of wrestling games for 10+ years now, and he also found the time to make a game in the same engine simulating what it's like to do hard time AND a game where Jesus preaches at you until you're so good at magic you can destroy the world

it’s a shame his games aren’t fun to actually play. still love the madman though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Finished Roadwarden, great game, very depressing. I can see the appeal of unlimited time; I ended up having to reload many saves to plan the route out for my last few days to accomplish everything I wanted to. Still got a bad ending for my character, probably because I didn't find the last hunter, or do anything really to White Marshes, or Old Pagos and I chose the influence ending so I didn't have enough influence. Hard to imagine having enough time to complete all those quests in 40 days, but I kind of appreciate the time pressure. But the eastern road thrives thanks to me, so I'll take what I can get in the peninsula.

Thanks again to genericnick for the key. I may go back for the best ending one day, see everything there is to see, help everyone that can be helped.

Good games you should try:
- Roadwarden
- Mechabellum
- Project Wingman
- Exanima
- Pentiment
- Battle Brothers
- Wasteland 3
- Heaven's Vault
- One Hour One Life
- Caves of Qud

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Epic High Five posted:

aew gotta feel like a bunch of idiots releasing their game all of a few weeks before mdickie releases his newest solid gold

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

RandolphCarter posted:

it’s a shame his games aren’t fun to actually play. still love the madman though.

I enjoyed the wrestling game when I got good at the mechanics and tried to murder as many people as I could. It's definitely designed as punishment not enjoyment though

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

aew gotta feel like a bunch of idiots releasing their game all of a few weeks before mdickie releases his newest solid gold

The Guerilla Games of wrestling federations

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

crepeface posted:

is Forbidden West worth playing? I liked the original one and it was very pretty as the first game I played on my new monitor

Yeah I liked it, appreciate a game that is about murdering every remaining billionaire

also USE TRAPS

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

wrestling games outside the 1990s no thank u

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Buck Wildman posted:

I CAN READ YOU LIKE AN OPEN B- wow that's uh, that's a lot of hentai on your steam account jesus snake

This line is hard coded into the game though, you need something else that's actually surprising

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Otacon showed me his Japanese animes

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

psycho mantis is going through my youtube history and absolutely roasting my music taste

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

mantis called me an aging bisexual weenie and frankly, right on the money

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

sometimes you get lucky in battlebit :dukedog:

https://i.imgur.com/On6Z3nh.mp4

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Ahhh, Snake… I see you like Fortnite…

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Popy posted:

wrestling games outside the 1990s no thank u

the aew game plays like the n64 games

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Daughters of Ash is pretty wild. Wanna meet Andre? Well there's a brand new boss that's a titanite demon with a Stand in the way!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

sometimes you get lucky in battlebit :dukedog:

https://i.imgur.com/On6Z3nh.mp4

this is how John Fortnite Kennedy died

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Really enjoying Roadwarden so far, thanks very much for the key, goons

time goes quicker than you think, don't be wasteful with it, liiiiikeee meeeeeee!!!!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
racking up 20 kills in 5 minutes shooting rpg's ftw

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

why did they make the silver bokoblin horn look so stupid when its so strong

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I’m honestly kind of annoyed there was no gold bokoblins. once you can take down white Lynels it's a wrap on all enemies even without zonai death mechanisms

e: like the final Gannon fight I went into with a grip of white Lynel parts to attach to my x5 Savage Lynel Bow and even with his double health bar that fight was trivial

indigi has issued a correction as of 06:43 on Jul 6, 2023

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/seilidare/status/1676544109324976130

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

smarxist posted:

time goes quicker than you think, don't be wasteful with it, liiiiikeee meeeeeee!!!!

Is that the game's lesson?? You're too late I'm afraid. I did find Asterion, which ironically seemed like a massive waste of time for my personal goal

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1676859523519385601?t=DuMsg6NbSvfGUqllKTll8Q&s=19

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
gonna enjoy jamming Baldurs Gate 3 while everyone complain about Starfield bugs for 6 months

A124!
Jun 28, 2009

this happened these forums ... respect your heritage ...

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Tried battlebit, it's ok. Sound is kind of bad and it's hard to see because of the color palette. Probably gonna refund for now.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Sylink posted:

Tried battlebit, it's ok. Sound is kind of bad and it's hard to see because of the color palette. Probably gonna refund for now.

the audio could def use another pass. A lot of the gun sounds are anemic and I hope the devs have plans to record some new ones now that theyre flush with cash

nice thing about early access is that you can come back to it in a few months to see how active the devs have been

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Havel's GONE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sGpKWwxbAE

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Koirhor posted:

gonna enjoy complaining about Baldurs Gate 3 bugs while everyone complain about Starfield bugs for 6 months

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

just going to roll a new character in baldirs gate three on july 31, 2023 and take a big drink of water