Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MBA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

MBA 15" isn't going to be refreshed with M3 this year, right? They won't do 2 releases for a single product in 1 year, I'd assume.
They used to back when they refreshed the Macs regularly, but those were usually (if not always?) early + late year releases like ~6+ months apart. The soonest they'd follow a mid year release (like the 15" MBA) would be the next year early window.

The Lord Bude posted:

When did the M2 13” air come out though? It would be peculiar if they didn’t get updates at the same time moving forward; so I’d be counting my 18 months from when it came out
About a year ago. So early/spring '24 would be the likeliest window for new MBAs, assuming no delays with the M3.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hi hi. I might buy a new MacBook in the next few months, and I'm looking for a model with specific features. I don't really care what's under the hood, but I want one with,

- The good keyboard; I understand they all have this since 2020?
- Magsafe charger
- No touch bar

It looks like the 2021 models might fit the bill. Does anyone know for sure?

Edit: oh, it looks like the 2023's don't have the touch bar either?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 6, 2023

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Hi hi. I might buy a new MacBook in the next few months, and I'm looking for a model with specific features. I don't really care what's under the hood, but I want one with,

- Magsafe charger
- No touch bar

Just get the new Air and that’ll do it.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

- Magsafe charger
- No touch bar

if those are your only requirements you want the m2 air
https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac/macbook-air
go nuts

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Skippy McPants posted:

- Magsafe charger
- No touch bar

Everything except the 13” MacBook Pro (and not the 14” or 16” models) is mercifully touchbar-free. The M1 MacBook Air doesn’t have Magsafe but everything else you’d be looking at (post-2021 models) does.

I wouldn’t get anything with an Intel CPU at this point, but it sounds like pretty much any Apple Silicon MacBook that isn’t the aforementioned 13” MBP or the M1 Air might work for you

Sounds like costwise you’ll probably be happiest with either a 13” or 15” M2 Air, unless you’re loading it up with more than 16gb of RAM and 512gb of storage, in which case a MacBook Pro on sale might give you better value for dollar (ie if you’re spending more than $1500 on an Air it’s at least worth looking at your MacBook Pro options, especially from licensed third party dealers like Costco/BH/etc)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
There’s only one MacBook that still has the touchbar, and that’s the weirdo 13” pro that has the same cpu as the air but with a fan, it seems to exist mostly to use up old parts and serve people who liked the touchbar and older design.

If you don’t have specific cpu performance requirements then you can happily just buy an M2 air in either 13” or 15” sizes as you prefer.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

When do sales usually happen? I don't mind waiting months if it saves me a couple hundred bucks.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

When do sales usually happen? I don't mind waiting months if it saves me a couple hundred bucks.

Just get an m2 air from the Apple refurb store. New body, still can get Apple care, and the sale is there. Or look at Amazon, their constantly going on sale for like $100 off the base modelS Cyber summer is like next week

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
If you’re dropping $1500+ it’s worth getting the nicer screen and speakers in the 14/16” MBP IMO, even if you aren’t going to make use of the extra CPU/GPU grunt

MBA value sweet spot is <$15/600, and then you have to have a compelling reason to want the thinner and fanless but less powerful/worse screen/worse speakers/etc computer with 2/4/8TB and leave the other QoL improvements on the table

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Switching my daily from a 2015 rMBP 15 to my now fixed 2009 17in.

Had sent the 2009-17in to Colin (dosdude1) to fix a board issue. It would hard power down during boot up on battery or plugged in but would eventually boot after many many attempts and stay on reliably once fully booted. Colin had tracked it down to the MCP79 chipset and also replaced C7771 as a preventative measure. Totally not worth the money/effort except for this being a top CPU spec machine with sentimental value.

TBH the 2009-17in still works for what I need it for. Email, video conf, YouTube (at full screen res), streaming. The 1920x1200 screen works great for Remote Desktop into a way more modern workstation for work.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 7, 2023

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Weird question. There’s a base level 15 inch MacBook Air new in box on Facebook marker place for $800. The seller has 8 5 star ratings, and one mutual friend ( a local phone repair owner I know who’s chill). There’s no way it’s not stolen right? Because for that price, I’m pretty tempted, as long as I can still get Apple care for it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Weird question. There’s a base level 15 inch MacBook Air new in box on Facebook marker place for $800. The seller has 8 5 star ratings, and one mutual friend ( a local phone repair owner I know who’s chill). There’s no way it’s not stolen right? Because for that price, I’m pretty tempted, as long as I can still get Apple care for it.

Honestly no clue, doesn’t that thing start at $1300? Hell of a good deal if it’s down to 8 but I mean…

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

LionArcher posted:

There are often crazy deals like this on Facebook, I paid 700 for a few month old M1 MBA last year. Just make sure to meet in person before exchanging funds and ensure it’s not activation locked.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, while i love the deal, I think I really do need 512 SSD and 16 gigs. (Some AI art, photo editing work need the 16 I think for a computer I want to keep for 5 years. Everything else I do is basically email and word processing though, and for that this would be fine). Shame it’s basically half of that though, cost wise. Ugh.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Yeah, while i love the deal, I think I really do need 512 SSD and 16 gigs. (Some AI art, photo editing work need the 16 I think for a computer I want to keep for 5 years. Everything else I do is basically email and word processing though, and for that this would be fine). Shame it’s basically half of that though, cost wise. Ugh.

at $1600 you might as well wait for the equivalently specced 14” MBP to go on its regular $1500 sale

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

at $1600 you might as well wait for the equivalently specced 14” MBP to go on its regular $1500 sale

Right. Which is why spending $800 now, and then later getting a refurbished m1 or m2 Mac Studio is also tempting and a solid road for my use case.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Right. Which is why spending $800 now, and then later getting a refurbished m1 or m2 Mac Studio is also tempting and a solid road for my use case.

:getin: (fingers crossed it isn’t stolen. Bought w/student discount I could reasonably see somebody needing to offload it quick for $800, but don’t buy something busted or hot)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I just bought a refurb M2 Mini 8c/10c 16gb/256gb to resell that'll be here today, if anyone wants that at a discount. It was $746 after tax/shipping, will list it on SAMart once it gets here.

edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036058

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 7, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are intel Macs mostly relegated to the collectors market now?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shaocaholica posted:

they’re still fine and capable machines if you can get a late model for pretty cheap but they’re definitely not worth seeking out imo

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shaocaholica posted:

for general purposes yeah, there's no reason to care about intel macbooks or minis etc anymore. maybe if they were real cheap and you wanted a foothold in the Apple ecosystem for camera software/color workflow/etc then they'd be worth it.

the new ones have a way better keyboard, better chassis in general, they run absurdly cooler and faster, they have more advanced video accelerators/etc in general, etc. No eGPU driver support on Apple Silicon though, and Apple Silicon doesn't have an equivalent to Mac Pro 2TB builds.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shaocaholica posted:

The only reason to hunt for them is if you have weird usb hardware that didn't receive an universal driver.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do modern macs/iOS devices/AirPods have built AirTag functionality? As in there’s no reason to attach an AirTag to these devices because they can do everything the AirTag can on their own?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

AirPod Pro second gen case does.
Specific APP 2nd gen buds do not.
Gen 8 watch does not.
2023 M2 does not.

I’m not honestly sure if the phones do or not.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the phones have find my yes

they have uwb radios now but i don’t think they’re necessarily used passively

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Warbird posted:

AirPod Pro second gen case does.
Specific APP 2nd gen buds do not.
Gen 8 watch does not.
2023 M2 does not.

I’m not honestly sure if the phones do or not.

APP Gen 2 case is not the same as AirTags. It only pairs with your phone and will only ping it within range.

If you drop the case at the park and drive home it might tell you that it last paired there (or not. Maybe it last paired in the car or at home. Maybe it paired at the end of your listen and then you put your buds away and walked a bit before accidentally dropping the case into a bush or whatever. Maybe the battery died at some point) but it won’t be findable again unless you happen to come in range and it’s still got power

I’m doing a bad job of explaining but it’s noticeably not the same functionality as if you lost your AirTagged keys (or an AirTagged APP case) the same way

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

APP Gen 2 case is not the same as AirTags. It only pairs with your phone and will only ping it within range.

If you drop the case at the park and drive home it might tell you that it last paired there (or not. Maybe it last paired in the car or at home. Maybe it paired at the end of your listen and then you put your buds away and walked a bit before accidentally dropping the case into a bush or whatever. Maybe the battery died at some point) but it won’t be findable again unless you happen to come in range and it’s still got power

I’m doing a bad job of explaining but it’s noticeably not the same functionality as if you lost your AirTagged keys (or an AirTagged APP case) the same way

As the owner of a toddler and soon a second one of those, the ability to have my phone tell me “The loving thing is over here bud, specifically right there idiot” is the extend of AP functionality I care about. IDK if the budz do the “everyone passively locates it” or whatever but they do do (ha) the bit I care about. I am very tired.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Warbird posted:

As the owner of a toddler and soon a second one of those, the ability to have my phone tell me “The loving thing is over here bud, specifically right there idiot” is the extend of AP functionality I care about. IDK if the budz do the “everyone passively locates it” or whatever but they do do (ha) the bit I care about. I am very tired.

I don’t disagree with you, but it’s also hella frustrating to scour your house from top to bottom looking for your AirPods whose battery died overnight and will no longer talk to your phone thinking that you could’ve sworn that you read that this Was Not A Thing That Your New Expensive Buds Did and subsequently coming to understand the finer points of how they differ from your AirTags (true story)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do MacBooks have AirTags functionality? Are modern MacBooks even worth stealing? I guess you could get ~something~ for it as parts.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Do MacBooks have AirTags functionality? Are modern MacBooks even worth stealing? I guess you could get ~something~ for it as parts.

only airtags and things like airtags such as third party finder devices licensed by apple have the functionality, the rest is much more coarsely grained

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
that’s not true, you can locate recent MacBooks, iPads, iPhones, etc with the Find My network even when they’re offline, just like an AirTag

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don’t think so. you get the last known location, you don’t get it updated by random passing iphones like an airtag

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

jawbroken posted:

that’s not true, you can locate recent MacBooks, iPads, iPhones, etc with the Find My network even when they’re offline, just like an AirTag

iPads and MacBooks will send location data using LTE or Wi-Fi when powered on. iPhones after the 13 will send LTE based position data even when in low power modes. It’s not UWB based.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
you’re both wrong, and you can see it in your macOS or iOS settings or by doing a simple experiment yourself. it absolutely works while offline (and even when devices are powered off), using Bluetooth. the entirely separate UWB feature is “Find Nearby” which is where is points an arrow to the device and shows the approximate distance

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

jawbroken posted:

you’re both wrong, and you can see it in your macOS or iOS settings or by doing a simple experiment yourself. it absolutely works while offline (and even when devices are powered off), using Bluetooth. the entirely separate UWB feature is “Find Nearby” which is where is points an arrow to the device and shows the approximate distance

how does a bluetooth radio without power update device location

edit: like im not trolling im curious, because im happy to be wrong

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 10, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You could conceivably do it via a similar passive radio system like you see with toll lane stickers. I don’t have the slightest idea if they do that or if it’s even possible with the energy levels in play but that sort of thing does exist in the wild.

Edit: On a side note, I’ve noticed that my M2 will occasionally not want to charge when connected to a usb-c dongle. Replugging the power supplying cable will usually correct that but it’s odd to see. It’s some passive dongle deal my wife’s work sent along with her M1 air so I’m surprised to see it happen considering all parts involved are “real” brands and not no names from lord knows where.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 10, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

mediaphage posted:

how does a bluetooth radio without power update device location

edit: like im not trolling im curious, because im happy to be wrong

I assume its part of the beacons feature set of Bluetooth Low Energy, or something Apple hacked on and did their own thing with: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_Low_Energy_beacon

When it is "off", its not actually "off", unless the battery has been 100% depleted and or you've disabled the setting feature on the device.

Edit: I'm pretty sure its more or less whatever lets the airtags work how they do, and those things run forever (12-13 months) off of a cr2032 battery.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 10, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
They could do a dedicated reserve power thing that powers the beacon. That shouldn't take up too much space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

like i’m not saying they couldn’t but they’ve never mentioned any feature like this. bluetooth is off when the computer is off which is the issue here, and they’ve never said anything otherwise.

obviously if your mac is online or otherwise powered up and paired with an iphone you’ll be able to find it