Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Scott Forstall posted:

Does Meg write the S.I.N.N.E.D. episode without retreading the roots and fan favorite episodes of the series during her time on the podcast? who knows? that's parallel universe poo poo ultimately, so it doesn't matter but it popped into my head the other day.

I think she might have wrote that system either way. She's obviously was a fan of the show before she joined on a producer of the show.

Although I imagine all the callbacks and returning characters are a direct result of them watching the series and doing the podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

if you think about it, this season is the direct resilt of all the seasons before it

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
What
the
gently caress

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I figured they must have their own alcoholic beverage as soon as they started talking about it.

Anyway, I'm amused at the idea that Frank would fly an airplane in circles for hours for... some dubious tax purpose.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was a great episode and was really fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo the latest episode was incredible. The entire final scene where everybody is just watching in awe as Mr. Middle acts :vince:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Small White Dragon posted:

I figured they must have their own alcoholic beverage as soon as they started talking about it.

I originally thought it was a self dig at Mac getting involved in Wrexham and then poking fun at Ryan Reynolds’ for Aviation Gin. Didn’t know (forgot?) about the gangs dealings.

Hadn’t noticed the golden palace cap on the bar before, new-ish?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
When Frank was explaining how they were just circling Philly, it suddenly looked like his hand was getting lost in front of a bluescreen as he waved it in front of the window. I wonder if they were going to add in some cityscapes, then decided it wasn't worth the money and just made the windows white.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

CPColin posted:

When Frank was explaining how they were just circling Philly, it suddenly looked like his hand was getting lost in front of a bluescreen as he waved it in front of the window. I wonder if they were going to add in some cityscapes, then decided it wasn't worth the money and just made the windows white.

They wanted to but the VFX studio was at capacity.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I agree but also, this has always been 'the show', they always brought in their friends, and of course there's the whole DeVito being foisted upon a no-name show as a big name star and all that, I mean sure probably Cranston\Paul are maybe bigger than most and this comes so soon after Utley's cameo so, yeah, it feels about latter-seasons-simpsons but I don't really think it's a trend, the episode is in service of the meta-joke not the big name stars (although, of course, there's a breaking bad parody in there as well, but it's not like homages and parodies are a new thing in sunny either).

How famous is Utley? Is he "philly sports fan know him" or "all sports fans know him?"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

How famous is Utley? Is he "philly sports fan know him" or "all sports fans know him?"

I only know him from Mac's latter.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Charlie creating nickelschlager and then throwing up nickels was amazing

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ruddiger posted:

Charlie creating nickelschlager and then throwing up nickels was amazing

You have a belly full of nickels!!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Do nickels even set off metal detectors?

Let's bone xylophone this poo poo.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

every baseball fan would know him -- he was the best second baseman in the game for a number of years and has a not-insignificant shot at making the Hall of Fame. but he's not like, Derek Jeter famous -- if he walks down the street in a non-baseball city he stands a decent chance of not being recognized.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

LividLiquid posted:

Do nickels even set off metal detectors?

Let's bone xylophone this poo poo.

Not through human skin it won't.
In theory they can, but only if it is adjusted to a fine degree where it would always give false positives.

I'm assuming Charlie ate a bunch of different metal for reference.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Not through human skin it won't.
In theory they can, but only if it is adjusted to a fine degree where it would always give false positives.

I'm assuming Charlie ate a bunch of different metal for reference.

well he would have wanted to find the tastiest one

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Not even sure Charlie knows a nickel from a dime from a quarter from a washer. Remember, this is the guy who never ate a pear before (until he did and did the core and stickers too)

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
When did ol’ Bob Dunston swallow all this change?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

TraderStav posted:

Not even sure Charlie knows a nickel from a dime from a quarter from a washer. Remember, this is the guy who never ate a pear before (until he did and did the core and stickers too)

he eats stickers all the time

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love how Mac's expanded pitch started off understandable and somewhat competent even if it wasn't something anybody would ever invest in, but as the episode went on his attempts to explain it got worse and worse till he was eagerly proclaiming,"We're offering ill-fitting suits!"

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er

Vookatos posted:

Probably the worst episode of the season. I dunno, I like Breaking Bad's stars, but there was no punchline. I liked the monologue at the end, but the whole thing about it being fake defeats the comedy. I was on board with Cranston supposedly being a huge rear end in a top hat IRL.
The gang is very funny, but Paul and Cranston are mostly boring, especially during the car scene and this will probably be one of the (hopefully only) episodes of the season I wouldn't rewatch at all.

This season in my eyes is comparable to season 2 in quality. Some really good episodes and some weaker ones. The reasoning is completely reversed, of course. In S2 they haven't yet nailed their comedy so a few episodes have strong premises but are quite weak, and here it's clear that some cracks are starting to show. Would be hard not to after 15 years, of course.

I'm with you. Some gags and scenes had me chuckle; the two guest stars were just... odd to me. It sort of felt out of place in a way. I enjoyed them, loved the dynamic between the two of them, and thought they were pretty funny at least, especially the bit at the end.

I feel like some of the gags tried too hard and also dragged on a bit too long. Mac with an earring though, 😍
Overall, eh it was funny and had it's spots but I was honestly bored with most of it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stickers on fruit are regulated to be 100% safe to eat, so charlie did nothing wrong and just got a little extra fiber.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Pattonesque posted:

every baseball fan would know him -- he was the best second baseman in the game for a number of years and has a not-insignificant shot at making the Hall of Fame. but he's not like, Derek Jeter famous -- if he walks down the street in a non-baseball city he stands a decent chance of not being recognized.

I remember him from when he tried to kill Wilmer Flores on the base paths in the 2015 NLDS and I’ll never forgive that son of a bitch.

Edit: oh man it was actually Rueben Tejada. I guess I’m starting to forget after all.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Worst episode of the season but still good. The season is very good so far

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“Risk E. Rat never wore a helmet. Remember how he’d fall down and hit his head, and then he’d say ‘That’s what the bone is for!’.”

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Dyin at frank constantly harkening back to the good old days of risk e rat in the 50’s

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

Dyin at frank constantly harkening back to the good old days of risk e rat in the 50’s

Better than that time he was a bestiality dog in a Philly play in the 60s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U5fdl15_oI&t=280s

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Dennis and Dee have forgotten that Frank was their father once. The show very rarely acknowledges this nowadays, but it felt especially surreal when they were talking about going to such places as children and how the parents would go over to the bar.
Then again, he probably outsourced those chores.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think Dennis and Dee have forgotten that Frank was their father once. The show very rarely acknowledges this nowadays, but it felt especially surreal when they were talking about going to such places as children and how the parents would go over to the bar.
Then again, he probably outsourced those chores.

Frank was probably on a business trip and left taking the kids to Risky Rat to their whore mother.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, he didn't really like the tedious work of raising children and spent his time more productively with things he actually enjoyed. Nothing wrong with that in general.

But their relationship is still weird. Nowadays he's just this old, rich dude who joined the gang in season 2 and they left all of their emotional baggage by the roadside.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
It is a bit odd that Dennis and Dee never treat Frank as a parent, but I think the show definitely would have been worse off if they did. They made the right choice with that one.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Dennis gently patting Frank's head in the Irish castle for making him a psycho is definitely something.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Burning_Monk posted:

Dennis gently patting Frank's head in the Irish castle for making him a psycho is definitely something.

Dennis was having feelings, again. You remember feelings, right?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Jingleheimer posted:

It is a bit odd that Dennis and Dee never treat Frank as a parent, but I think the show definitely would have been worse off if they did. They made the right choice with that one.

I thought the episode where he shot them was very much a "our parent is getting old" storyline

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Whoa dude.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Chronicles posted:

I thought the episode where he shot them was very much a "our parent is getting old" storyline

Yeah, on retrospect it is. But to be honest, during the episode that didn't even occur to me. To me it was just "We gotta stop this old maniac before he kills someone!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Yeah, on retrospect it is. But to be honest, during the episode that didn't even occur to me. To me it was just "We gotta stop this old maniac before he kills someone!"

Yes, that's parents getting old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was looking forward to this episode but mostly didn't like it. I, too, have tons of fond memories of Showbiz Pizza/Chuck E Cheeses from back when the joints were much seedier and less sanitized. They're not wrong in this episode about that, but even the place shown in this episode was significantly better than what actual Chuck E Cheeses have devolved into. They're now so brightly lit, sterile, and bland that they look like a Walgreens with some arcade games inside.

Anyway, what could have been a fun romp like when the gang went to the water park was marred by having all of the gang constantly spout out topical talking points and being borderline chud-y. Literally spelling out to the audience the exact points you're trying to demonstrate in the episode isn't funny and reduces the characters to mouthpieces of whatever the writers want to complain about. I've notice episodes like this popping up now and then for the last few years. The gang simply aren't funny as mouthpieces.

That said, I enjoyed Mac's part in this. This was the first time this season it really felt like classic Mac. I also liked that the gang were all portrayed as actually being friendly with each other for once. Little things like Dee genuinely trying to work Frank through his problematic comments and Dennis rolling with Charlie's weird thought processes rather than blowing up at him.

I wish we could have seen the animatronic show they built actually start up but instantly turn horrifying instead of the smash cut they did.