Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Echophonic posted:

I don't get what a curved screen gets me.

Extra taps on the edge of the screen when you're not expecting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Don't forget really expensive repairs / screen-replacements and shittier screen protectors.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pham Nuwen posted:

My Moto G Power was like $180 and while the camera was never mind-blowing it did the job. Also, having just switched to a Pixel 7a, I kinda already miss the battery life on the Motorola... I'd regularly get 2 days use out of a single charge, even after two years of ownership. Hell, I just left it powered on after I pulled the SIM and it's only now hit 4% battery life after idling on wifi for a week. No real Android fuckery either... so basically, buy another cheap Motorola, sounds like you're already on the right track.

You made me look, and as appealing as the cheap-ness of a 2023 Moto G 5G is, a 720p screen is a hard sell at this point and I don't think it passes the "better camera than a Pixel 3a" test either: https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g_(2023)-12249.php

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

What's a phone recommendation for something:
1. Under $500
2. Android with a minimum of vendor fuckery
3. Camera at least as good as a Pixel 3a
4. Not gigantic slate
5. Will last at least 2 years without a hardware failure

Pixel 5?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

What's a phone recommendation for something:
1. Under $500

Wildcard: 300 dollar OnePlus Nord N30 5G.

Hey don't laugh, I'm halfway serious. Has a 120hz 1080p LCD. Old but proven Snapdragon 695. Physical fingerprint scanner. 8gigs of ram and a 5000mah battery. Supposed to eventually get Android 14 and they claim 3 years of security updates (probably every other month since it's OnePlus).

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

E quote is not edit

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Pixel 7a, or weird pick, Asus Zenfone 9 lightly used or refurbed

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sleepwalkers posted:

Pixel 7a, or weird pick, Asus Zenfone 9 lightly used or refurbed

You saw the part where in the past 2 year period she's had a Pixel 3a, 5a, and 6a spontaneously kill themselves? The 5a and 6a were under warranty, but still, what the gently caress.

Edit: also, with modern phones and water resistance, a phone that has been pried apart in the back of an Asurion is not as good as a new one.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 6, 2023

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Twerk from Home posted:

You saw the part where in the past 2 year period she's had a Pixel 3a, 5a, and 6a spontaneously kill themselves? The 5a and 6a were under warranty, but still, what the gently caress.
if a phone breaks in the morning, it was a bad phone. if 3 phones break over two years, you're the...wait i didn't plan this right

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, I do agree. What the gently caress. I've owned 10 Pixel devices over the years and nary a problem among them. One of my friends has also used pixels since the OG and he did have to RMA his Pixel 3 about two months after launch, but otherwise no issues.

I don't understand how some people can be so unlucky.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Wife's OG PixelXL bootlooped after 18mos.

My Pixel3XL hard crashed and wouldn't power on again.

And that's been it so far. My P6P is coming up on 2 years and I only did a factory reset one time to try and clear a problem that ended up being a WebView component in Chrome. Wife's Pixel 5 went 2 full years without incident.

So that many pixels in that much time is not the phone.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

bull3964 posted:

I mean, I do agree. What the gently caress. I've owned 10 Pixel devices over the years and nary a problem among them. One of my friends has also used pixels since the OG and he did have to RMA his Pixel 3 about two months after launch, but otherwise no issues.

I don't understand how some people can be so unlucky.

it's because google is bad at making good hardware, despite your experiences

pixels have a reputation for being prone to hardware failures for a reason (it's bc it's true)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

it's because google is bad at making good hardware, despite your experiences

pixels have a reputation for being prone to hardware failures for a reason (it's bc it's true)

It's just one anecdotal bit of evidence vs another though. It's not hard data either way and either of us claiming to have it would be a lie.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

bull3964 posted:

It's just one anecdotal bit of evidence vs another though. It's not hard data either way and either of us claiming to have it would be a lie.

i mean even turning a blind eye to the routine complaints itt about pixels over the months and years, the 7 line had an exploding camera array and the 5 or 5a had that fatal flaw that also bricked phones. these are recent, published issues that were widespread enough for google to widen their warranty parameters to replace effected units.

like, i like pixels too, but i'm not gonna ignore reality because i like pixels. they are not well put together pieces of tech.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

At the risk of coming off as confrontational, most people don’t swap and trade between phones as often as you do by a long shot. These are singular devices that are being used day in and day out. They have more use hours out on them than yours do, which increases the chance of them running into problems. Some people just have poo poo luck and others have spectacular luck, but I think the amount of use these failed devices have on them is something that should be considered as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

i mean even turning a blind eye to the routine complaints itt about pixels over the months and years, the 7 line had an exploding camera array and the 5 or 5a had that fatal flaw that also bricked phones. these are recent, published issues that were widespread enough for google to widen their warranty parameters to replace effected units.

5a is the only one that google has extended the warranty for since it was found to be a manufacturing defect. Everything else is just reports and, frankly, the internet sucks at reporting stuff objectively.

Case in point, there were a ton of articles on Monday about the July update not coming out the day before the holiday while Samsung's inability to deliver the S23 June update until the final days of the month passed without much fanfare.

Posts on Reddit are not controlled for population or demographics and the people buying Pixel devices do not overlap 100% with those who buy Samsung or Apple devices.

That's not to say the stuff isn't there. There's been swirling chatter of an S23/S23+ camera misalignment issue.

Then there was the fun last year when Apple had to tell users not to use the camera of the pro model in 3rd party apps until they issued a software fix because the stabilization could go haywire and damage the camera.

If you don't feel comfortable with the devices, by all means buy something else. My main point is there's no knowing the signal to noise ratio of stuff like this and you are going to have clusters of similar failure modes for device groupings no matter the manufacturer and none of us know the real rates on anything.

Not to beat a dead horse, but only one manufacturer got their devices banned from the global airlines after two failed attempts to fix the issue.

Branch Nvidian posted:

At the risk of coming off as confrontational, most people don’t swap and trade between phones as often as you do by a long shot.

I may have had a lot of phones, but 85% of my use over the past two years have been the Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 7 Pro. I play around with other phones, but I basically always come back to the Pixel in short order.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Since 2008 I have had only had 2 phones fail in any way. One phone developed hardware problems (LG Envy 2, that I still used and loved despite the issues), and the other I dropped without a case (LG Stylo 2). I still have every phone I've owned over that time period, and they all still work and look pristine. The only issues with some of them is battery going bad, but the LG Volt that I use as an alarm clock still holds battery charge like a champ.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Case in point, there were a ton of articles on Monday about the July update not coming out the day before the holiday while Samsung's inability to deliver the S23 June update until the final days of the month passed without much fanfare.

Samsung had already announced they were holding the June update back for big fixing. Pixels that got the June update were reporting all kinds of issues. They've already released the July update so there wasn't really a story to report.

quote:

Not to beat a dead horse, but only one manufacturer got their devices banned from the global airlines after two failed attempts to fix the issue.

Google's hardware has a reputation for being... inconsistent at best. Goes all the way back to the Nexus days. Many of Google's phones have resulted in class action settlements over reliability issues. It is pretty much accepted reality in tech circles that Google's QA and build quality is not quite on the level of Apple and Samsung. Pretending otherwise is trying a little too hard to defend your purchase. This does not make them terrible phones that no one should buy.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Had a look through my contacts and it's great to see a drastically increasing number of them that can use RCS Chat messages. I'm in the UK though, so it's generally older people who aren't using WhatsApp these days, but it's still progress.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Hi thread, is there no other way to decrypt a backup if you have forgotten your pin?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there a way to remove the Google translate button that is a part of the menu that appears when you select text?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Hi thread, is there no other way to decrypt a backup if you have forgotten your pin?

I certainly hope not

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

If you are using google backup, your account password might also work. Never tried it though.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I've dropped my pixel buds pro case a couple times and had a cat knock it off of tables/shelves a few other times and it's genuinely impressive how it seems to be perfectly designed to, upon impact: snap open, launch both buds a long distance in random directions, then instantly snap closed so it's not immediately apparent the buds are no longer inside.

Love them otherwise, but drat is that annoying.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I got a cover with a snap on it for my Pixel buds because of that exact problem!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google gives a Pixel Watch free with the Fold.

Then, because I bought the Fold, they gave me a discount towards a Pixel watch....

I know I'm crazy with devices, but even I have limits.

Best part is they only allow one Watch per Fitbit account so it's not like I could use a second watch with a different phone or have two different colors on one phone.

Unrelated

https://9to5google.com/2023/07/06/google-pixel-tensor-g5-tsmc/

Reports are that Tensor G5 will be the point where Google goes full custom chip design and that will be produced on TSMC's 3nm process. They wanted to do it for 2024, but couldn't make the handoff work within time constraints.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 6, 2023

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Branch Nvidian posted:

At the risk of coming off as confrontational, most people don’t swap and trade between phones as often as you do by a long shot. These are singular devices that are being used day in and day out. They have more use hours out on them than yours do, which increases the chance of them running into problems. Some people just have poo poo luck and others have spectacular luck, but I think the amount of use these failed devices have on them is something that should be considered as well.

I agree; I've never had a problem with a Pixel phone that wasn't remedied by the next update. My wife has had four phones just fail on her - an iPhone (can't remember which one), two Pixels, and a Samsung. I think her phones go through a lot more than mine though because she's works in a lab with concrete samples and takes calls on it while working with said concrete and acid and other corrosives.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

bull3964 posted:

Google gives a Pixel Watch free with the Fold.

Then, because I bought the Fold, they gave me a discount towards a Pixel watch....

I know I'm crazy with devices, but even I have limits.

Best part is they only allow one Watch per Fitbit account so it's not like I could use a second watch with a different phone or have two different colors on one phone.

Unrelated

https://9to5google.com/2023/07/06/google-pixel-tensor-g5-tsmc/

Reports are that Tensor G5 will be the point where Google goes full custom chip design and that will be produced on TSMC's 3nm process. They wanted to do it for 2024, but couldn't make the handoff work within time constraints.

I told them I would just rather take the value of the watch applied to the Fold and they promptly told me to gently caress off in so many words. Now I have to go through the loving trouble to sell this poo poo for probably not the full retail amount.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Not sure what thread to ask this so I'll try here. My dad's Google account got hacked somehow and a YouTube channel was created, before the YouTube account got suspended.

He's been able to recover from the hack except for his YouTube functionality. He contacted YouTube and they wouldn't lift the restriction, even though Google previously confirmed the hack. Any ideas? He's using another Google account for YouTube now but it's really annoying.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Google is crazily obtuse and weird about providing any real support for their services especially YouTube hacks. So good luck I guess. Even big names seem to have to jump through serious hoops once it happens. And they just basically ignore everyone else.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Google is crazily obtuse and weird about providing any real support for their services especially YouTube hacks. So good luck I guess. Even big names seem to have to jump through serious hoops once it happens. And they just basically ignore everyone else.

That's what I thought. Any idea how it could have happened? My dad uses 2FA.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That's what I thought. Any idea how it could have happened? My dad uses 2FA.
YouTube is vulnerable to session token hijacking, it's what happened to LTT (and other creators) a while back https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/24/23654996/linus-tech-tips-channel-hack-session-token-elon-musk-crypto-scam

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Google in general is bad with that. You can try it out if you use an external email client.
I was setting up my new laptop last week and copied my thunderbird folder from my main computer and started the thing. It accessed my gmail without even asking problems even though I have 2FA turned on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Were you using oAth or an app password though?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Were you using oAth or an app password though?

I had to look it up, and I seem to be using OAuth2. Would that not have happened with an app password, it sounds like it should be be the opposite?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wouldn't have thought it would have happened with oAuth2 but would have happened with App Password since that wouldn't care about anything else.

That said, I think it probably depends on Thunderbird itself. I think that's less a Google issue and more Thunderbird not securely storing access tokens in a way that's not portable.

Given the utter disdain Mozilla seems to have had with even having to implement oAuth2 in Thunderbird, it wouldn't surprise me if it's not any more secure than an app password.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 7, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Isn't Thunderbird now unofficial and maintained by volunteers? That's the impression I had, at least.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Isn't Thunderbird now unofficial and maintained by volunteers? That's the impression I had, at least.

It's only been unofficial for a decade!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Uthor posted:

It's only been unofficial for a decade!

Where does the time go? :stonk::corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Has anything been done with Thunderbird or is it mainly security fixes now?