Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Threads: Over 10 million sign up to Mark Zuckerberg's Twitter rival

Well. I guess Zuckerberg wins this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
it's over unless Zuck gets Shaq over there to point out it's him yelling

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

wow, yahoo news still exists

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://blog.joinmastodon.org/2023/07/what-to-know-about-threads/

I completely missed Meta going all in on XMPP for cross-platform talk and then basically snuffing it

threads is a modified mastodon instance designed to deliver spam lol

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

e: lmao

Oglethorpe has issued a correction as of 10:16 on Jul 6, 2023

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Why do they even care about screen density lol

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Confusedslight posted:

Why do they even care about screen density lol
by collecting a ton of random poo poo it's easier to track someone without cookies or a static IP

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Malloc Voidstar posted:

by collecting a ton of random poo poo it's easier to track someone without cookies or a static IP

That’s insidious, like matching someone by all their attributes if you can’t track them easier

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

That’s insidious, like matching someone by all their attributes if you can’t track them easier

yep. there's basically no way to defend against browser fingerprinting.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Not until he has physically beaten Musk up. We all need the closure.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The REAL Goobusters posted:

zuck is totally gonna get that W over twitter it’s loving wild LMFAO. all the loving brands are immediately hopping on

All the favorite brands

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Glumwheels posted:

Only criminals have privacy concerns.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Glumwheels posted:

11 years ago

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/?sh=1fa02f5e6668

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

shoom posted:

no thanks

did anyone really think facebook would make a product that doesn't do this poo poo?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Data scientists are all criminals

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

shoom posted:

no thanks

the non-chronological feed is the worst part of social media. hard pass

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

is it discord or a different tech unicorn which got infested by meta management cast-offs and is now rapidly deteriorating

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Step 1) create the organ
Step 2) sell the organ

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Get social media to keep in touch with your friends*

* - you're unable to see your friends posts and are drowned in ads

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Jel Shaker posted:

is it discord or a different tech unicorn which got infested by meta management cast-offs and is now rapidly deteriorating

no it's discord

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Business Gorillas posted:

Get social media to keep in touch with your friends*

* - you're unable to see your friends posts and are drowned in ads

I'm stuck with your posting right now so how bad could it be

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

syke! Business Gorillas, you're an ace poster and a valued member of this posting community

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Jel Shaker posted:

even if it wasn't specifically this cause, it's in fact rapidly deteriorating, yes

threads is dogshit

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

brain genius and thought leader gets stoned and independently reinvents Repo! The Genetic Opera

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

triple sulk posted:

even if it wasn't specifically this cause, it's in fact rapidly deteriorating, yes

threads is dogshit

discord is going out of its way to do stupid poo poo. changing how names work is idiot dumb gently caress stuff

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

also you have to pay to post trump its real bad

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

discord is going out of its way to do stupid poo poo. changing how names work is idiot dumb gently caress stuff

i won't go into the details too much but i interviewed with them a few years ago and it was clear then that they had no loving idea who they were targeting. worst interview experience i ever had.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how do you change how a name works

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I hate when games only have discords and there's no good way to research stuff especially if a game is a few years old

Gamefaqs forum design still the best for this kind of poo poo because the posts stay in chronological order and theres not a million bots telling me I'm using the wrong channel or whatever

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I have a feeling Threads was rushed out to take advantage of the rate limit fiasco. It sucks right now, but we'll see in a few months

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if they aren’t going to have a proper feed there is no point on using it

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

shyduck posted:

I have a feeling Threads was rushed out to take advantage of the rate limit fiasco. It sucks right now, but we'll see in a few months

yeah it’s pretty trash rn

BS still has the best content : bullshit ratio for me

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

shyduck posted:

At best it will be Twitter so I’m not too worried.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

shyduck posted:

It certainly feels that way

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

This is peak social media. This guy woke up and said 'you know what bioengineering lacks? Guys With Ideas!'. Jesus, I wish I had his confidence.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

E = mC^2 + AI

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
musk being so bad kind of made everyone forget about how poo poo zuckerberg is. but i remember how bad facebook got i can't go back to zuck owned social media. someone else make something goddamn it

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

mila kunis posted:

musk being so bad kind of made everyone forget about how poo poo zuckerberg is. but i remember how bad facebook got i can't go back to zuck owned social media. someone else make something goddamn it

Someone else did!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Imo, Bluesky can work just like 2019 Twitter but the fact that it’s been invite only is what’s going to kill it.

Threads is clearly undercooked but it works just enough like Twitter and anyone can sign up easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

syke! Business Gorillas, you're an ace poster and a valued member of this posting community

🙏