Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

1stGear posted:

I thought Fizzy got threadbanned from here and was about to start a ruckus but lmao this is way funnier.

Free Fizzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Red Baron posted:

so the WTC are like twin eyes of Sauron and bin Laden becomes Gandalf

lmao this rules actually

Mohammed and the muslim brotherhood of the ring? You know I think we're onto something.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

lol at the list of 14 not including Russia. Russia is a former Soviet Republic, so there are 15 of them, not 14.

14 countries which contain 88 regions

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

This isn't ai generated fake content?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

This isn't ai generated fake content?

apparently not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kh32TcTzZE

maybe don't play this clip on speakers

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 13:46 on Jul 6, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

we’ll know somethings up when we start seeing satellite images with photoshopped Ladas on the top of the nuclear plant with cut off roofs

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
IAEA put out a new statement that they require more access to inspect ZNPP. So far, Russia has not granted full access and is preventing inspection of select areas of the nuclear plant. Not clear why Russia is not permitting the IAEA to do their job.

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/pressreleases/update-171-iaea-director-general-statement-on-situation-in-ukraine

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

mlmp08 posted:

IAEA put out a new statement that they require more access to inspect ZNPP. So far, Russia has not granted full access and is preventing inspection of select areas of the nuclear plant. Not clear why Russia is not permitting the IAEA to do their job.

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/pressreleases/update-171-iaea-director-general-statement-on-situation-in-ukraine

V. Illych L. posted:

one wonders why people might not want inspectors to wander around with unrestricted and unsupervised access to all sorts of things

truly a mystery

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

So do we think that in the ZNPP, Russia stores critical secret plans? And if the IAEA inspects the plant, they’ll learn all of Russia’s secret warplans?

If that’s the case, drat, maybe Russia should just hold their secret meetings and store their secret documents elsewhere.

I can’t imagine Russians are that stupid to just hold war room meetings in side offices of the plant or on the roof. And it would run counter to the five principles of nuclear safety by making portions of the ZNPP into areas of military operations.

It’s not like the IAEA is asking to inspect Shoigu’s house.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

1stGear posted:

I thought Fizzy got threadbanned from here and was about to start a ruckus but lmao this is way funnier.

Free Fizzy.

cspam doesn't do threadbans, and fizzy is welcome here

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

it is truly a mystery

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Interesting choice of facial features on that caricature

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

Maybe it's just telling the rules-based international order to get bent, seeing as it has that kind of precedent. I just don't think they necessarily have a terrific and well-argued for Reason for doing it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

would you let the cia into your NPP if they were trying to blow it up ?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

it is truly a mystery

First, people said IAEA would simply inspect and find any malicious activity at ZNPP if it existed, so IAEA’s lack of findings are evidence that Ukraine is lying, and Russia has no secret military ops at ZNPP.

Now it’s of course the IAEA should be restricted by Russia from doing thorough site inspections, because if the IAEA inspects ZNPP, they might find out about secret Russian military ops.

It’s not a very consistent idea expressed.

More consistent would just be to say that you believe without requiring evidence that Ukraine is lying and Russia is truthful. Then at least the logic would track.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
its about as much of a mystery as the true identity of the nordstream bombers

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

Maybe they are different posters' ideas

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The strongest reason someone might just assume that ZNPP will be fine, more or less, is that both Russia and Ukraine have been spazzing about it for over a year, but nothing significant has really happened, other than at least the IAEA getting limited access to the areas Russia permits.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cerebral Bore posted:

its about as much of a mystery as the true identity of the nordstream bombers

Who do you think did it?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The recent recapturing of territory from the Russians in the Kharkiv region by the Ukrainian armed forces has raised a question: Should AP use the term “liberated” for these towns and villages?

While the answer is delicate and nuanced, we believe that it is yes.

Webster’s New World Collegiate Dictionary gives a straightforward definition for the verb liberate: to release from slavery, oppression, enemy occupation, etc.

That fits the current circumstances. Therefore, in this conflict, we may use the words “liberate,” “liberated” or “liberation” when Ukrainian forces recapture or reacquire Ukrainian territory that had been seized and occupied by Russia. The use of the word recognizes that the territory was invaded and occupied by Russia and now has been restored to Ukraine.

It is important to recognize, though, that “liberated” is one of those words that does contain a value judgment. It denotes that these places were under occupation and their recapture means renewed liberty for residents. “Liberation” of territory communicates that the recapture of territory is a restoration.

We should be careful using the word “liberated” for all conflicts, because in some cases it is unclear whether the recapture of territory leads to greater freedom or benefits the population. For instance, many residents of eastern and central Europe may not have felt liberated when Soviet troops replaced German Nazi troops at the end of World War II. And the Chinese government uses the term “liberation” to refer to the 1949 Communist revolution, so the world has obvious pejorative tendencies in certain circumstances.

When it comes to Ukraine, we should attribute the “liberation” to Ukrainian authorities or others unless AP has been able to visit the areas and confirm their recapture.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

:eyepop: what a nose

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
If I was waging a war against a bunch of perfidious dudes with swastika tattoos who had already blown up at least two dams and suicide bombed a bridgeI would not permit their bowtie wearing buddies access to my nuclear infrastructure, regardless of how much they insist that they are the adults in the room.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

there could be a metal gear in the nuclear plant basement. can’t let that get out

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Considering the Russian military needs to actively secure the plant from multiple threat, it is pretty understandable they wouldn’t want the inspectors everywhere beyond what is needed for operation.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

Who do you think did it?

post/username combo

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Considering the Russian military needs to actively secure the plant from multiple threat, it is pretty understandable they wouldn’t want the inspectors everywhere beyond what is needed for operation.

You cannot inspect my room labeled “Very Safe Operations Only” right now. The door sign says it all!

Fine, if the argument is that the IAEA must not be allowed to inspect safety of the plant except in specific areas the occupation forces permit, go for it.

But people should not also assume that means the IAEA is confirming safe operations. Can’t really do both fully, as the IAEA argues rather reasonably.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i thought the point of the inspectors was to stop the shelling of the nuclear plant, not to make sure the russians know how to operate it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The perfidious asiatic russ will just hide all the explosives they need to sabotage their own nuclear plant behind the door to this shed. No, it doesnt make sense, no there isnt any evidence theyve been doing anything like this, but they are cunning and we cannot trust them

These news are just red meat for a particular brand of libs that will hang on every bit of minutiae

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jel Shaker posted:

i thought the point of the inspectors was to stop the shelling of the nuclear plant, not to make sure the russians know how to operate it

The purpose is to inspect for the five principles established at the UN.

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/statements/iaea-director-general-statement-to-united-nations-security-council

quote:

I see these commitments as essential to avoid the danger of a catastrophic incident:

1. There should be no attack of any kind from or against the plant, in particular targeting the reactors, spent fuel storage, other critical infrastructure, or personnel;
2. ZNPP should not be used as storage or a base for heavy weapons (i.e. multiple rocket launchers, artillery systems and munitions, and tanks) or military personnel that could be used for an attack from the plant;
3. Off-site power to the plant should not be put at risk. To that effect, all efforts should be made to ensure that off-site power remains available and secure at all times;
4. All structures, systems and components essential to the safe and secure operation of ZNPP should be protected from attacks or acts of sabotage;
No action should be taken that undermines these principles.
5. The IAEA experts onsite, namely the IAEA Support and Assistance Mission to Zaporizhzhya (ISAMZ), will report to the IAEA Director General on the observance of these principles. The Director General will report publicly on any violations of these principles.

So it includes tasks like physical inspections of the plant and its facilities, reporting if they hear/observe shelling, reviewing readings of the plant itself, and speaking with the staff of the plant.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just cover the external walls and roof with nuclear inspectors lashed in place. If anything happens like shelling or something they'll know about it right away.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Minion of Freya posted:

If I was waging a war against a bunch of perfidious dudes with swastika tattoos who had already blown up at least two dams and suicide bombed a bridgeI would not permit their bowtie wearing buddies access to my nuclear infrastructure, regardless of how much they insist that they are the adults in the room.

Oh man I gave these inspectors free run of the place now all my computers have a CIA virus on them and the plants about to blow. How did that happen?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Russians should just lead IAEA to the roof top of the ZNPP and show they have placed some blown up rectangular pool toys on it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The safest move for Russia would be to just let the IAEA look at stuff like the roof. If Ukraine is full of poo poo, the IAEA can say so! And then if there were a false flag shelling of the plant roof, the IAEA could at least confirm they didn’t see poo poo on their daily inspection or whatever.

Hopefully no one is going to attack the plant anyway, so I hope this is all stage theater bullshit anyway. But Russia is missing an opportunity to let the IAEA fully inspect and then for the IAEA to publicly report they found nothing to corroborate Ukraine’s claims, since Ukraine is claiming there are explosives on specific roof points.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

V. Illych L. posted:

one wonders why people might not want inspectors to wander around with unrestricted and unsupervised access to all sorts of things

truly a mystery

US once again destroying an international agency's credibility. Almost as bad as that time they used the Red Cross to spy on people in Afghanistan, so the Taliban kicked them out. For all the West proselytizes their rules based international order, the US sure doesn't give a drat about maintaining the credibility those institutions need to function.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
remember when amnesty put out that report that was kinda critical of ukraine and then had to walk it all back after getting dogpiled by the nafo crowd?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

US once again destroying an international agency's credibility. Almost as bad as that time they used the Red Cross to spy on people in Afghanistan, so the Taliban kicked them out. For all the West proselytizes their rules based international order, the US sure doesn't give a drat about maintaining the credibility those institutions need to function.

Rules for thee, but not for me. Is the only rule of the US imperium.

IAEA go on the roof of the NPP, wow how'd they get this Lada up here

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's funny but not surprising that US sees every organization as a tool to use and discard to maintain their hegemony and nothing more than that.

Even funnier when those organizations convince themselves that they would be the one exception.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The inspector controversy has extremely 2000s Iraq vibes to it where kicking out the inspectors was used as evidence that Saddam was hiding wmds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cerebral Bore posted:

remember when amnesty put out that report that was kinda critical of ukraine and then had to walk it all back after getting dogpiled by the nafo crowd?

They stood by those findings, with one tiny caveat amounting to something like “we could have sourced this part a little better.” They didn’t retract or walk back the report.