Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kingo Ligma posted:

This is myopia to the point of solipsism and on a par with "lowtax banning hentai lead to the end of western democracy". It also requires pretending America is the only country in the world, occasionally maybe Japan
There are two significant examples of very non-american posting I listed right there.

zedprime posted:

Are there any social networks without soccer moms or the president? That's the one I want to use.
Something Awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Something Awful.

are we really sure Joe Biden doesn't post here

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Other countries use Twitter as well, fyi.

It was the de facto platform for making any sort of public statement, and that made it disproportionately influential regardless of user numbers. That and the fact you could easily link to and read individual tweets and the links would work forever and be usable by anybody.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He might be somewhere in coupons.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just had to go check that coupons still exists.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Threads for me is a spinning galaxy in the shape of the turd logo. The website has nothing more. Is this because I'm on desktop or because I'm a filthy non-American country?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

He might be somewhere in coupons.

Probably lurking in AI but afraid to post about his bitching Vette

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought he had a trans-am

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

goatface posted:

He does

https://www.theonion.com/shirtless-biden-washes-trans-am-in-white-house-driveway-1819570732

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
should have bought threads.lol imo

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

goatface posted:

no wonder elon hates him

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

goatface posted:

Can it generate an argument out of nothing yet?

I'm trying really hard but no luck so far

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Ahmadinejad posted on Twitter and you’re laughing?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

ymgve posted:

Threads for me is a spinning galaxy in the shape of the turd logo. The website has nothing more. Is this because I'm on desktop or because I'm a filthy non-American country?

There is currently no web interface for it, it only works through the apps.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Twitter was a great way to trick people into thinking they were making an impact while totally nullifying any impact they may have had by, say, actually doing something real rather than tweeting.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'd like to point out how low quality the loving galaxy is on the threads web page. It's a whopping 650x650 png stretched to poo poo.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Jakabite posted:

Twitter was a great way to trick people into thinking they were making an impact while totally nullifying any impact they may have had by, say, actually doing something real rather than tweeting.

Thats a load of bull, my change.org petition says so right here

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Elon is about to fall down a spiral of depression the likes of which we've never seen. Since he bought Twitter, folks have been effectively held captive to his batshit insanity as there wasn't a viable alternative.

Who knows if Threads will actually overtake Twitter but now Musky has to worry about even more advertisers jumping ship and Twitter's infrastructure is going to keep breaking down to help push people towards Zuck.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Here's Threads, the hot new app

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

E the Shaggy posted:

Elon is about to fall down a spiral of depression the likes of which we've never seen. Since he bought Twitter, folks have been effectively held captive to his batshit insanity as there wasn't a viable alternative.

Who knows if Threads will actually overtake Twitter but now Musky has to worry about even more advertisers jumping ship and Twitter's infrastructure is going to keep breaking down to help push people towards Zuck.
We can only hope this speeds his transformation into Elowtax.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

He's so addicted to twitter it literally ruined his marriage.

There was no marriage at that point to ruin, he was never married to Grimes, it’s just that his divorced energy has evolved to the point where he just keeps acquiring new baby mamas without the fuss and rigamarole of legal structure.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Roko's Divorce. It's when your loser energy is so great it travels back in time and you get divorced before you even get married.

Putting the single in singularity

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Jakabite posted:

It also had the hilarious side effect of disqualifying many of them from employment or meaningful relationships because of the horrible things they’ve posted over the years under their own names.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Grey Cat posted:

I'd like to point out how low quality the loving galaxy is on the threads web page. It's a whopping 650x650 png stretched to poo poo.

is this a disabled javascript thing? for me the website is a 3d galaxy of dots you can drag around with the mouse

edit: I get a flat, rotating image in firefox so I guess that's the thing. in chrome it's a cool but useless effect, that is probably the best content the website will ever have

ymgve fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 6, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ymgve posted:

is this a disabled javascript thing? for me the website is a 3d galaxy of dots you can drag around with the mouse

The hell, that's weird because I was just thinking, "this would be much better as a javascript element".
I... have no idea why that's not on my end, I'm using the latest firefox and it's certainly not blocked.
E: You're right, I checked on chrome and it's just fine. Maybe they didn't bother supporting multiple browsers. :shrug:

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 6, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

https://writing.exchange/@kreig/110664764474921792

Concerning.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
If Threads disproportionately appeals to brands (and people who like “engaging with brands”), and captures more user data than Twitter, that could be enough for Threads to kill off Twitter.

It doesn’t need to be the better, more beloved, or even more popular service, it just needs to take more than its share of advertising dollars from Twitter. Meta is far better at monetising its audience than Twitter ever has been, so it seems reasonable to think this will happen.

Brands aren’t going to increase their budgets because a new platform is around, they will just reallocate them - it’s going to be completely zero-sum with Elon on the losing end.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Well some of this is hardly any news from most apps. It's really a trifle to grab OS sort of info.
The rest is well--expected of a facebook product at this point, they collect everything, stick you in a file and use you in an algorithm. They know where you live, they know your number, they know your name, sometimes even without you having an account, but just by other people around you having one.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
ITT: "I don't even HAVE Threads. Who is Twwiter? I haven't ever even learned what 'social media' MEANS. Where do you all drive to go see this 'Facebook' thing? Look how cool I am. I'm so cool now that I brag about ignorance."

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, cant believe Threads is just all the grifters and influencers from Instagram grifting and influencing all on one unfiltered and non-chronological mess of a feed.

Wee fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 6, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Catastrophe posted:

ITT: "I don't even HAVE Threads. Who is Twwiter? I haven't ever even learned what 'social media' MEANS. Where do you all drive to go see this 'Facebook' thing? Look how cool I am. I'm so cool now that I brag about ignorance."

I don't even know how to read :smug:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

steinrokkan posted:

I don't even know how to read :smug:

I don't know what you said since I can't read, but my posting method involves flinging poo poo randomly and seeing what sticks regardless of the topic.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
i have threads and the first thing i saw was possibly the worlds foremost art critic, Jerry Saltz, yelling at Congressman Matt Gaetz because he posted something about "Biden's laptop". What a world!

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

I don't know what you said since I can't read, but my posting method involves flinging poo poo randomly and seeing what sticks regardless of the topic.

We know.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

kdrudy posted:

We know.

Could I get that in an audio message?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Threads reached 10m in 7 hours

:rip: Twitter. Even if Threads is poo poo it basically fills the gap Twitter created

:lol: Elon spent 44 billion to be cucked by Zuck

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
This is giving me the dopamine hit I've been missing since I left Twitter tbh

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Infinitum posted:

:rip: Twitter. Even if Threads is poo poo it basically fills the gap Twitter created

What kind of a loser do you have to be to get dunked on by Zuckerberg of all people?

:laffo:

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Infinitum posted:

So Threads’ very early trajectory is closer to Google+ than FB or Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I got an app that let me search Twitter without an account and ads while I was stuck in airport hell doing the Great WestJet Fuckery of December '22. Twitter was useful for that sort of real time gripe-tracking. Didn't it play a large role in the Arab Spring?

lol that our own dead gay forums were here before and shall outlast the birdsite