Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ProperCoochie posted:

Anybody have that meltdown rant post about enterprise printers?
The "Please insert paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3. Please insert paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3. Please insert paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3" one or whatever.

Printers in general. Their ideal state is one of broken and any time they are not in that state is most fleeting with all theirs thoughts are to they can return to that peace again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

All I want is a waterproof iPod-shuffle sized square mp3 player that can clip onto your shirt and is light enough not to obnoxiously bounce around when running. Apparently this technology was lost 10 years ago, and music is only possible through shittier products that are huge and clunky or constantly corroding. I have been buying the same post-market water proofed shuffle every 3-4 years for the past 15 years and goddamn they are getting expensive and hard to find.

Truth. I've been using an old Sansa Clip and it's constantly breaking in new and exciting ways, but there's nothing to replace it with.

-Whenever I turn it on or off the screen goes bright green for over a minute.
-Random crashes, and if they happen in the middle of a podcast/ audiobook, it doesn't save progress.
-Guaranteed crashes on some music files. You wanted to listen to Bombtrack? I don't loving think so!
-Won't connect via usb anymore, the pc just doesn't recognise it. I have to use a micro sd card.
-The clip itself snapped off.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dip Viscous posted:

Everyone knows that the search built into Windows sucks, but for the past couple of months it's been "they have to be loving this up on purpose to screw with people" bad. No matter what I search for it only ever finds completely unrelated files, even if I search for a character exact file name. Oh, you can't remember where you left that floppy image you know for certain is named "Microsoft Golf 2.0.img"? Okay fucko, have a Witchfinder General album and a 19 year old WinRAR installer! Totally random poo poo every time I try.

agent ransack is on my install day 1 list for a reason

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I got an ipod touch because I wanted to have something to learn iOS on and having a separate device to put music on makes me feel more motivated to listen to it I guess. I genuinely prefer the old way of using iTunes for stuff instead of syncing it through Finder and having separate apps for music, podcasts, shows, and other stuff.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Extra row of tits posted:

It nearly impossible to get an actual discount now.

Want to buy online?
Belong to a certain Gym get a discount
Buy a set amount get a discount
Your birthday get a discount
Just google “store name + discount code”

I spend more time finding and comparing the best discount available at that moment than deciding what I want to buy. You’d have to be clinically insane to just click buy now.

My last purchase: $150 + $50 item + $10 postage.

After a few hours of discount hunting and calculations.

$150 item for $128
$50 for $43
Free $50:item
Free $20 credit
Free postage.

Have you tried the Honey browser extension? Cuts a lot of time out of the coupon hunt.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Koburn posted:

Truth. I've been using an old Sansa Clip and it's constantly breaking in new and exciting ways, but there's nothing to replace it with.

The Clip is still in production, but I can't vouch for whether or not they made the new ones suck.

I have an old one with Rockbox firmware that I still use for listening to audiobooks in bed. I have no idea how the battery still holds a charge, but it does.

Edit: this right here, the MuVo, was the pinnacle of MP3 player design. No cables needed, just slide the halves apart and plug it in like a flash drive. No dumb software needed to add music, just copy and paste. No internal battery to poo poo the bed, it runs for ~20 hours on a rechargeable AAA.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 6, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Ok but organizing music files is the worst tho. Especially when half your collection is mislabeled poo poo from the era of Kazaa and Limewire...

I'm glad to never have to do that, ever again.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Dip Viscous posted:

The Clip is still in production, but I can't vouch for whether or not they made the new ones suck.

I have an old one with Rockbox firmware that I still use for listening to audiobooks in bed. I have no idea how the battery still holds a charge, but it does.

Edit: this right here, the MuVo, was the pinnacle of MP3 player design. No cables needed, just slide the halves apart and plug it in like a flash drive. No dumb software needed to add music, just copy and paste. No internal battery to poo poo the bed, it runs for ~20 hours on a rechargeable AAA.

i had one of these and i loving loved it. great design. amazing player for its era. mine wasn't fancy enough for an LCD though, it just had hardware buttons

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Koburn posted:

-Whenever I turn it on or off the screen goes bright green for over a minute.
-Random crashes, and if they happen in the middle of a podcast/ audiobook, it doesn't save progress.
-Guaranteed crashes on some music files. You wanted to listen to Bombtrack? I don't loving think so!
-Won't connect via usb anymore, the pc just doesn't recognise it. I have to use a micro sd card.
-The clip itself snapped off.

https://fiio.com/m5

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
A lot of my favorite soft drinks changed their recipe by reducing their sugar content slightly and then dumping in a buttload of artificial sweeteners to make them even sweeter than they were with pure sugar, I can't stand artificial sweeteners they have horrible acidic bleach like taste combined with a sickly sweetness that sticks around in my mouth for hours :barf:

Laserface posted:

Adobe Reader has always been terrible but its a specific kind of terrible now. The only reason I use it over a chrome window is because it had the signature button right there to click and drag. now that is buried 2-3 clicks in one of their horrible side pane things you can no longer turn off.

I have always been impressed by how they managed to make a program that reliably takes 15 min to load and then struggle to run on even the most powerful hardware available.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Ok but organizing music files is the worst tho. Especially when half your collection is mislabeled poo poo from the era of Kazaa and Limewire...

I'm glad to never have to do that, ever again.

Musicbrainz Picard is the tool you need. It even has an acoustic fingerprint function to recognize completely unlabeled files.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Have you tried the Honey browser extension? Cuts a lot of time out of the coupon hunt.

Doesn't that just like feed them all your browsing history?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Wendigee posted:

Doesn't that just like feed them all your browsing history?

Yes and it makes those cashback portal sites not track correctly, since that's the same avenue Honey makes its revenue.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

All I want is a waterproof iPod-shuffle sized square mp3 player that can clip onto your shirt and is light enough not to obnoxiously bounce around when running. Apparently this technology was lost 10 years ago, and music is only possible through shittier products that are huge and clunky or constantly corroding. I have been buying the same post-market water proofed shuffle every 3-4 years for the past 15 years and goddamn they are getting expensive and hard to find.

Have you tried checking out knock off ones? There’s some extremely cheap shuffle style MP3 players on aliexpress but I don’t know what degree of water proofing you need, I’m sure they’d fail that test immediately. On the other hand they cost like $3 so why not try anyways.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dip Viscous posted:

What's the red part for?

Like...it looks like all the "brains", controls, and even the headphone jack are on the removable grey part.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

DrBouvenstein posted:

What's the red part for?

Like...it looks like all the "brains", controls, and even the headphone jack are on the removable grey part.

Power

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
MS Paint sure has gotten "better" over time, which makes it more complex, more complicated, less simple, and less serves the singular purpose I would use it for, which is very simple drawings that I can very quickly save as .pngs

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Paint.NET is still good, and free. Download that.

Although speaking of Paint.NET, MS Paint, and Windows Search, it doesn't matter how much I open Paint.NET, or pick that from the option when I do a Windows search, it will ALWAYS put MS Paint at the top of the results list.

Edit: Oh, but don't just type in paint.net in your browser bar, because it will try to go to the website "www.paint.net" (seems to just be a parked domain for sale by GoDaddy*), you have to go directly TO google and type in paint.net in the search bar to get the paint.net download page.

*I'm not sure WHY the Paint.NET people don't try to buy that domain, but I assume GoDaddy is selling it for too much.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 6, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Believe it or not, HP Printers used to be rock solid and a great choice, though more expensive. That ended quite some time ago though.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Is this still in production? Maybe it's just my country but I can't see it on Amazon US either.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

It's kind of the opposite story of this thread but how the gently caress did Anker become who they are. Feels like they wished it from a genie or something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

First page of Google results is all AI-generated/bullshit copy optimized to hell to be caught in search to serve ads

The image search devolving into a fugly array of AI generated "art" is really annoying. The fact that the images are generated using the keywords you searched for, possibly because you searched for them, is really unhelpful.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

redshirt posted:

Believe it or not, HP Printers used to be rock solid and a great choice, though more expensive. That ended quite some time ago though.

If you're getting a consumer grade printer for your own use, get a Brother laser. Rock solid. I got one like ten years ago for just over a $100, and it still works just fine, and it can even do simple scans and photocopies.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bad Purchase posted:

i got a free 4k Crapple TV as part of a promotion for subscribing to some Direct TV streaming service for a few months after ATT bought them or something like that, and thank christ i have that thing

other than the remote using swipes instead of arrow buttons to move around, the thing works and performs perfectly, it’s a true workhorse that never lets me down. and saves me the headache of the LG WebOS garbage my TV runs, which i’m pretty sure is the same software that Palm made for those creepy blonde woman commercials before selling it to HP to use for SmartPrinters. god knows how it ended up in LG TVs after that. i used to have a chromecast which was basically abandoned by google after a year and would just stop working for months when netflix released an update. also tried an amazon fire something or other, and holy poo poo it must be named that because the only thing anyone should do with their janky rear end products is set fire to them.

don’t get me started on how godawful the youtube apps are for TVs and phones these days compared to the browser. basically have to keep a laptop around so i can airplay that poo poo to the Crapple TV.

the real killer app on the appletv is steamlink. works perfectly. i dread when my dumb lcd tv finally gives up

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

coldpudding posted:

A lot of my favorite soft drinks changed their recipe by reducing their sugar content slightly and then dumping in a buttload of artificial sweeteners to make them even sweeter than they were with pure sugar, I can't stand artificial sweeteners they have horrible acidic bleach like taste combined with a sickly sweetness that sticks around in my mouth for hours :barf:

I have always been impressed by how they managed to make a program that reliably takes 15 min to load and then struggle to run on even the most powerful hardware available.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a genetic taste thing, like how black coffee tastes like chocolate, how a grapefruit could be edible, or cilantro tasting like soap to some people but not others. I assume artificial sweeteners are the same thing, because the disgusting chemical tastes that come with them are not something anyone would choose to ingest on purpose, let alone consider at all comfortable to sugar. Salt has more in common with the flavour of sugar and sweetness than loving aspartame/stevia/etc

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
google chrome lately, when you click or use shortcut to open a new tab, it will go to the address bar like normal sdo you can start typing, but then immediately click itself off so typing does nothing. It doesn't happen every time you open a tab, after it happens once it seems to not happen again until you at least click away and start doing other stuff for a bit.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

DrBouvenstein posted:

If you're getting a consumer grade printer for your own use, get a Brother laser. Rock solid. I got one like ten years ago for just over a $100, and it still works just fine, and it can even do simple scans and photocopies.

Yup. HL-2270DW crew here. Bought it 12 years ago for $70 and it still works great.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the real killer app on the appletv is steamlink. works perfectly. i dread when my dumb lcd tv finally gives up

Moonlight is great too if you've got an Nvidia card. I've found it works better with emulators than steamlink does.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I remember when printers came with a full tank of ink when you purchased them, and for a while in the 00s, the printers themselves were so cheap, people would just buy a new printer when their ink ran out lol. It was legitimately cheaper than buying new ink.

The manufacturers quickly figured it out, and since their whole business is predicated on continued ink sales, now new printers only come with these tiny little temp carts that are only enough for two farts worth of printing

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My kvetch: thrift stores and the existence of Shein and the like. Holy poo poo, thrift stores are riddled with Shein poo poo and you can tell before even reading the label, usually by touch. Garbage quality from a heinous company.

Like I’ll find H&M tier clothing in thrift stores in solid shape, and they’re usually pretty good to buy and will typically last for a long time if you know how to take care of it. Shein however feels like poo poo Halloween costume fabric or like, something off, not to mention the durability (but that’s what happens with clothing like that…or most these days).

Sucks that unless you’re paying for bespoke or RTW, clothing quality is inconsistent (and with some bonkers ideas of sizing)

Khanstant posted:

I'm starting to wonder if it's a genetic taste thing, like how black coffee tastes like chocolate, how a grapefruit could be edible, or cilantro tasting like soap to some people but not others. I assume artificial sweeteners are the same thing, because the disgusting chemical tastes that come with them are not something anyone would choose to ingest on purpose, let alone consider at all comfortable to sugar. Salt has more in common with the flavour of sugar and sweetness than loving aspartame/stevia/etc

I grew up with a perpetually dieting parent so artificial sweeteners taste…normal to me? Rarely is there a diet version that I truly find abysmal, maybe sweet n low back in the day? Occasionally there’s an oddball stevia brand that tastes off.

I definitely will have hyper tumors from all the diet alternatives in 20 years, on top of the other issues of having a perpetually dieting parent as a child.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Khanstant posted:

Idk if the formulas are different now or it’s just a getting older thing when I was a kid any diet soda might as well have been piss for how unwilling I was to drink it, now I think it often tastes better than sugar

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I just accidentally clicked on an ad for the 200th time because outlook decided to start showing ads like an unread email at the top of my inbox so thanks for that Microsoft

Spell_blade
Apr 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

There is, in some people, they only bind to sweet receptors so only taste sweet but in others, they bind to sweet and bitter receptors and taste gross. It's linked to the gene TAS2R31.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5155417/

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Elder Postsman posted:

Yup. HL-2270DW crew here. Bought it 12 years ago for $70 and it still works great.

I have the same one! Just bought a pickup roller for it

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

GolfHole posted:

It's kind of the opposite story of this thread but how the gently caress did Anker become who they are. Feels like they wished it from a genie or something.

gently caress I love my Anker poo poo. The Bluetooth speaker lasts forever between charges. I had a set of earbuds that went years of being used 8-9 hours a day before finally dying. Now they don't make the same kind and I'm mad as hell :mad:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

teen witch posted:

My kvetch: thrift stores and the existence of Shein and the like.

Yes! You also used to be able to find solid electronics and kitchen gear at thrift stores, but now it's just the cheapest straight-from-alibaba crap that's already broken.

Like, thrift stores are now just full of badly made crumbling things people are too embarrassed or guilty to throw out. Just moving the trash from your house to the thift store and making it someone else's problem to dispose of your old humidifier that's missing its top piece.

I used to LOVE thrift store shopping but nowadays it's just depressing.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Which reminds me of another thing people do - donating expired food to food pantries and homeless shelters. Or food that no one could possibly use. Stop that! If you're going to donate food to the needy, get staples and get them from the store so they're recent. Why do we think foisting our rotting poo poo onto the poor is an appropriate disposal solution?

That's not something that got shittier over time tho, that's always been lovely, it's just sorta related to the thrift store thing.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I sent a google calendar invite for an event to some friends, which went right to their spam folders.

Apparently if you haven't sent a calendar invite to someone before google will automatically flag it as spam (even if you have emailed them before). This is to combat the extreme number of spam calendar invites that scammers send out. The work around is to send the invite, then email your friend to check their spam folder for the invite.

In the near future, all google services will be used solely by scammers to steal your parents' social security checks. This will usher in a new age of analog invites and fancy stationary.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Spell_blade posted:

There is, in some people, they only bind to sweet receptors so only taste sweet but in others, they bind to sweet and bitter receptors and taste gross. It's linked to the gene TAS2R31.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5155417/

Neat, I wonder how much this popped up in taste testing. I suspect I have something like this because even if I got used to the taste, it's simply not analogous to sweet. Butter doesn't quite feel right either, especially since bitter is often one of the better flavour components for things.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Extra Large Marge posted:

This will usher in a new age of analog invites and fancy stationary.

Lol and people laughed at me when I sold my computer and electronic devices for a custom wax sealing stamp kit.

Look who has the best comms security now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Wendigee posted:

Amazon does this on the Kindle they told.me it had something to do with unfair practices if I could buy a book through the phone app? I now have to buy it from the website. Been that way a few months and it's real weird.

I think it was something about google wanting a cut of the in-app purchase profits for any app in the play store.

What drives me most insane about it, is that you can browse through books on the app, but they don't include a loving link to the book online. They expect you to add what you want to a wish list from the app, go to the site and navigate to wherever in the terribly user-unfriendly menu the wish list is, then click the link to the book from there to go to the page where you can buy it. Just give me a loving link directly from the app. It would be trivial to add this.