Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fried Watermelon posted:

I'll take the new game and establish game polish. Thx

Scoss posted:

Good news, all you have to do is put the game down and pretend it actually releases 18 months from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
any of the classes/genders have notable voice work? i really dislike the female rogue, male barb was exactly what you’d expect. kinda regret having to hear this character and want to avoid bad ones in the future.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Lady Sorc is pretty good. I like that the voice lines for being out of mana match how you feel IRL.

"Out of precious mana..."
"I am out of mana, yet again."

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Can't speak for other classes, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by male barb's voice and characterization. I thought it was quite nice to see a character who could have easily been portrayed as a one note brute of a character, as someone who speaks with care and a note of compassion to both his allies during the story and to the people needing help in the side quests.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Male barb is ok, but I do miss D2/D3 barb
Male Necro is p.good

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Doomykins posted:

Lady Sorc is pretty good. I like that the voice lines for being out of mana match how you feel IRL.

"Out of precious mana..."
"I am out of mana, yet again."

You are courting pain ... and death!

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I was finishing up renown last night and during a quest where it does the typical enemies surround you while talking my sorceress said fully voiced "You have no idea the power I wield". drat right! They of course instantly died when they turned hostile.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i should be able to kill an angel in this game. i hope that's what they announce.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Shotgun Earth Bulwark is laughably busted.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Zeg posted:

Shotgun Earth Bulwark is laughably busted.

Yeah I switched away from it because 1. Wolf tornado build is rly fun and 2. Seems like it’s probably bugged???? I did a 7 mil bulwark explosion and there is no way that’s intentional

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

socialsecurity posted:

Don't aspects kinda already do exactly that though?

That was their whole design philosophy with aspects. You could make any piece of gear legendary and add an aspect that fit your build. The thing they said they didn't like about sets was that your build was literally garbage until you got the "Resource Costs reduced by 100% and damage increased by 10,000%" set bonus and that bonus was so good that nothing else mattered.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If they want sets to be cool, there should be a set bonus and also the pieces can hold an aspect. Best of both worlds.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BabyRyoga posted:

Anyone ITT make top 1000 Hardcore but not get their name on the list for the statue?

It's happening to 100s of people, including top 20 and top 100 players who made tweets and or even linked streamed clips of getting it, apparently, including a personal friend who played the game like 20 hours straight for the first week or so to get it done. He is understandably pissed.

Noticed that Asmowhatever guy had a video about it this morning. Usually ignore this guy, but he went off on the broke brained conspiracy theorists in his chat and it made me smile a little. Blizzard seems to have made a list up of people who shouldnt be on the list.

Some poor soul will likely have to be validating leveling logs from the servers and twitter posts for the next two months straight.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 6, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I know nothing about this competition to get onto the statue but how does Blizz not have exact time/level of anyone in their always online game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That was their whole design philosophy with aspects. You could make any piece of gear legendary and add an aspect that fit your build. The thing they said they didn't like about sets was that your build was literally garbage until you got the "Resource Costs reduced by 100% and damage increased by 10,000%" set bonus and that bonus was so good that nothing else mattered.

I miss sets that did cooler poo poo than Number Go Up Max like D2's Necro set that turned you into a fuckin Vampire. Maybe have a set for Druid that turns him into a big loving Raven or a Sorc set that lets you become a ball lightning for a bit.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

SettingSun posted:

I know nothing about this competition to get onto the statue but how does Blizz not have exact time/level of anyone in their always online game.

I think you had to post on social media and send DMs over twitter or something. There were restrictions if you were playing a press release you werent eligible, etc..

Blizzard hosed themselves by making hoops, basically. Now they get to validate it all over and over until it's perfect.

Or not, and give everyone the finger. Who knows.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Just send everyone who asks a certificate saying their name is definitely on the statue. Nobody is going to go Blizzard's offices and verify all 1,000 of the names.

It will quiet the demon in some people's minds just to be told they definitely are on there.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Gimme a Necro set that removes all my minions but turns me into a big rear end golem.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Failboattootoot posted:

People keep defending D4 with "it's better than D3 was at launch." And that literally doesn't matter because if I were to load up D3 right now, I would not be playing launch D3. D4 is not competing with launch D3, it's competing with current D3. Also PoE and LE and maybe also Grim Dawn and some iteration of Torchlight but Torchlight fuckin sucks, unlike D3 or D4, both of which are good.

look man you can't expect game devs to actually build on the past!!! That's cheating!
(in blizzard's case it's more likely that literally none of the people that learned those lessons in the past are still there at all, for uh, a range of reasons). Ultimately though it's not like consumers should have to care about that, it'd just be nice to get things that don't go backwards.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

To be fair, some of the removal of D3 QoL features and change in art direction were intentional and laid out in their development blogs in response to a lot of D2 fans who were extremely mad about D3 being "too arcade-y," "too casual," and too light/colorful.

The art direction changes are fine, but I think the people who thought that D3 ruined D2 because you didn't have to walk everywhere, they put the vendors too close to together, added auto-pickup for gold, and added infinite character respecs are weird masochists.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I don’t want sets I want more uniques like Druid has

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I would also like wt5. That’s about it. I like nm dungeons

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Stuff I hope they announce today:

- New NM dungeon rotation.

- New uniques or modifications to existing uniques that create new build/gameplay opportunities. Stuff like the Druid items that make you a wolf or bear full time are cool. Put more interesting or build-defining stuff like that in the game.

- Buff the least used skills. There is a huge batch of stuff that never gets used because it's just not good.

- Buff ultimate skills and then put them on a new button that doesn't take up a slot on your hot bar.

- More stash tabs.

- Searchable stash.

- World tier 5.

- a seasonal theme/mechanic that gives more to do from 70-100.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I hope they announce they can make a game that continues to be good after 200 hours.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
+new uniques/legos
+a cool seasonal mechanic
+qol solutions for inventory aspects (hint: just add them to the codex of power. make a new tab on there for dropped aspects)
+SOME MENTION OF LOOT FILTER. i dont care if it doesn't happen until season 5. just tell us it's coming

those are my hopes

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Them rotating nm dungeons isn’t gonna do much, I’ve done most of the normal dungeons in the game and they basically bleed together. There’s like 8 tile sets in the game.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Nightmare Strongholds

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Nightmare Strongholds

Instanced nightmare strongholds that can reward 1-3 grand radiant shining chests

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Nightmare Strongholds

And Cellars.

WIFEY WATCHDOG posted:

Instanced nightmare strongholds that can reward 1-3 grand radiant shining chests

Careful, they'll end up like Whispering Chests. Maybe they'll do something about those, too?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

harrygomm posted:

any of the classes/genders have notable voice work? i really dislike the female rogue, male barb was exactly what you’d expect. kinda regret having to hear this character and want to avoid bad ones in the future.

i really like female barb a lot more than the others I've tried

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

+new uniques/legos
+a cool seasonal mechanic
+qol solutions for inventory aspects (hint: just add them to the codex of power. make a new tab on there for dropped aspects)
+SOME MENTION OF LOOT FILTER. i dont care if it doesn't happen until season 5. just tell us it's coming

those are my hopes

All reasonable and all likely I'd guess.

I like the game, but I got burned out quicker than I'd expected. Hoping today's stream offers up some exciting poo poo.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
loot tetris with aspect juggling when you find upgrades sucks rear end. Let us add aspects to the codex, and then pick em from the codex in a separate per slot dealio like the cube slots in d3. Upgrade the rolls in your codex aspects by extracting better ones as you find em to improve the min roll dungeons ones.

Otherwise all of this stuff

Ehud posted:

Stuff I hope they announce today:

- New NM dungeon rotation.

- New uniques or modifications to existing uniques that create new build/gameplay opportunities. Stuff like the Druid items that make you a wolf or bear full time are cool. Put more interesting or build-defining stuff like that in the game.

- Buff the least used skills. There is a huge batch of stuff that never gets used because it's just not good.

- Buff ultimate skills and then put them on a new button that doesn't take up a slot on your hot bar.

- More stash tabs.

- Searchable stash.

- World tier 5.

- a seasonal theme/mechanic that gives more to do from 70-100.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Fixes I'd like to see at some point

-Make teleporting to a NM dungeon put me in the dungeon when I click it from the map. Why make me eat 2 load screens in a row? Simple fix.
-Dungeon tasks streamlined with less pointless backtracking. They're the main endgame and not really fun at this point.
-remove some of the real bad NM dungeon mods and maybe add some others
-rework damage and itemization. Vulnerable and crit being the only things that matter is no better than it was in Diablo 3 (crit chance/damage on everything). Now the pool is too big with too many worthless affixes because of this. Sorting through 99% of the trash yellows you get isn't fun.
-Legendaries don't feel special at all except when leveling to like 40-50. Most of them are trash and you're only checking if the aspect is well rolled. I don't have a fix for this due to how the itemization is currently. Fix that and this may be worked out on it's own.
-Make uniques able to have one slot rerolled also. They still feel special because of the unique text but sometimes it's a big tradeoff on pants or chest where you rely on some of your defensive rolls.
-make rerolling better. In D3 you can't get 2 rolls of the exact same thing when rerolling affixes. You can get the same as the item currently has and something new. Why that simple thing isn't implemented I don't know. Also it's crazy how fast it ramps up in cost and should probably be tuned a little better.
-make the horse work and not get caught on everything. Let me be as fast with a controller vs. a mouse. Let me run in town if you're going to space everything out so goddamn much. Or, just make towns not terrible.
-at a certain point (70, 80+?) can we just stop dropping normal and sacred items? Or loot filter would solve this. I'm pretty sure they still have a stupid high level requirement so it's not like you can hand them down to an alt you're leveling so what's the point? I stopped picking them up because it's less poo poo to sort through as a bonus.
-sell all feature at vendor
-glyphs shared between classes? There's a huge time sink in each character that I don't know that I'll create an alt per season but it would be nice to not have to do all this over again if I chose to. The grind right now is pretty extreme.

I've only played necro so I can't speak much to the balance of the other classes. If necro is anything to go by, there's tons of work needed to make more viable builds. I don't care about story stuff so much for whatever they add in for seasonal content. Eventually I want them (the seasonal theme) to change the way the game is played after a few seasons of trying out all the classes. Sets would be cool but I don't know how they balance them. In D2 I felt like most were useless or exceedingly rare, and they were the opposite in D3. 2-4 piece sets so there's still room to change stuff around? I dunno. I want them to change skills/playstyles instead of boost them to stupid levels again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

loot tetris with aspect juggling when you find upgrades sucks rear end. Let us add aspects to the codex, and then pick em from the codex in a separate per slot dealio like the cube slots in d3. Upgrade the rolls in your codex aspects by extracting better ones as you find em to improve the min roll dungeons ones.

Otherwise all of this stuff

I would like that too but it would be a fundamental change in how aspects work, because once you find one perfect roll you have it forever (or the season) instead of having to stockpile them in case you find those +2% crit chance gloves

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Oh I thought of one thing. We need some qol in terms of changing builds. Just make it faster at the least. Have actually avoided it because of how tedious it is.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

- a single seasonal stash slot
- stash keyword search system, like the skill tree
- a handful of new uniques, perhaps a few new aspects but doubtfully
- seasonal content is a short questline with a few cinematics and a mediocre boss (non uber bosses will always be easy in this game)
- doing the questline unlocks corruption zones: like helltides, new mob types you encountered in the new questline will spawn and drop some kind of 'corrupted' gear affix, and the new uniques

A lot fo people will call it great, a lot of people will call it uninspired and lackluster

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I like the aspect system as is I hope they don’t change it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

I would like that too but it would be a fundamental change in how aspects work, because once you find one perfect roll you have it forever (or the season) instead of having to stockpile them in case you find those +2% crit chance gloves
Fail.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

zoux posted:

in the context of a season I think that's perfectly fine, especially considering that for the number based aspects instead of the % based ones you'd have to find one on a max possible level piece with a high roll, etc. Without mega poopsock play it feels like filling out the codex with max roll aspects would be a reasonably accomplishable season goal, which then enables you to easily swap around builds as the season draws to a close so you can have fun experimenting before doing it all again in a couple months.

There is more than enough bullshit to chase in terms of purely gear stats, the game doesn't need another layer in the form of aspects that are also inventory clutter and timesink bullshit to farm mats just to use/swap builds/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

in the context of a season I think that's perfectly fine, especially considering that for the number based aspects instead of the % based ones you'd have to find one on a max possible level piece with a high roll, etc. Without mega poopsock play it feels like filling out the codex with max roll aspects would be a reasonably accomplishable season goal, which then enables you to easily swap around builds as the season draws to a close so you can have fun experimenting before doing it all again in a couple months.

There is more than enough bullshit to chase in terms of purely gear stats, the game doesn't need another layer in the form of aspects that are also inventory clutter and timesink bullshit to farm mats just to use/swap builds/etc.

I mean, it's just not ARPG design philosophy to do that. They aren't going to give you the primary one-use chase items forever.

Still haven't gotten that Aspect of Exposed Flesh btw...