Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
The funniest thing about Tiedrich is that he pays for Twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I’ve started using Threads and from the perspective of someone who used Twitter as a Fandom space to follow fan-artists, memes, and the occasional discussion about games or anime I like it’s doing alright as an alternative to twitter.

There’s some key stuff missing, like not having a “following only” timeline, no media tab to see art people have posted, or the ability to search keywords or tags, but if they can get those features in I would seriously jump from Twitter

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I mean there's a bunch of non blue checks saying it's bad too. It sounds like it's just another Instagram. As long as the feed is like it is, I consider it unusable.

Bluesky feels the most like Twitter but it's not perfect and it's still invite only for some reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of them really want to push what they want people to use rather than what people want to use, and don't realise that's exactly why people are looking for any exit from Twitter.

I've seen it happen a ton of times personally, like the emigration from Skype to Discord.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
What is the economic incentive to show people algorithm promoted stuff rather than their own followed posts anyway? Does it generate more ad revenue that way? Someone mentioned the computational costs of generating a list but I can't imagine that that's actually relevant.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

hadji murad posted:

The funniest thing about Tiedrich is that he pays for Twitter

again:

Kith posted:

he's one of the many people that elon """graciously gave""" (see: forced) the checkmark on in an attempt to make them look foolish because they said that they would never subscribe to twitter blue because it's a stupid idea and elon is a bitch

no he doesn't

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Okay I stand corrected, his patreon only making 300 bucks is funnier

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Clarste posted:

What is the economic incentive to show people algorithm promoted stuff rather than their own followed posts anyway? Does it generate more ad revenue that way? Someone mentioned the computational costs of generating a list but I can't imagine that that's actually relevant.

~Engagement metrics~

(Look, doing it this way makes them spend 30% more time reading their stream; no word on if it's because it's on average 50% less useful).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

worse.

he's a Trump "frist post!" reply-guy who spent 4 straight years going "how dare you, sir!" like a text version of Keith Olbermann

He's one of the biggest slacktivists on the planet. No, quote tweeting Trump and others' tweets to get in a pithy one-liner isn't doing any good. It just spreads their message and plays into their claims that the Left is picking on them. Being mad on Twitter for internet points isn't important.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

His picture is exactly what I imagine when I think about what a guy who does those things would look like.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
He's probably the sort to talk about his Twitter clout at parties.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
He looks like a guy who's vaguely on the left but is a terrible tipper at restaurants

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

worse.

he's a Trump "frist post!" reply-guy who spent 4 straight years going "how dare you, sir!" like a text version of Keith Olbermann

He's also the father of the Awkward Zombie author.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

He's also the father of the Awkward Zombie author.

Whoa, that's crazy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Clarste posted:

The algorithm-driven stuff gets more engagement (and therefore holds people's attention on the site longer so they view more ads). That's why social media is all about algorithms in the first place - as much as people claim to hate them, there's a substantial number of people who are more receptive to algorithm-curated feeds than to feeds they curated themselves.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

The algorithm-driven stuff gets more engagement (and therefore holds people's attention on the site longer so they view more ads). That's why social media is all about algorithms in the first place - as much as people claim to hate them, there's a substantial number of people who are more receptive to algorithm-curated feeds than to feeds they curated themselves.

Please don't contribute to destruction of the meaning of the word "algorithm". Chronological is algorithmic, too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

greatBigJerk posted:

He's probably the sort to talk about his Twitter clout at parties.

Oh god I remember that clout website lmao

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Clarste posted:

The business model of social media is to be fun to use while losing money and building a userbase, then gradually turn the dial from fun towards profitability until the experience is such trash the whole thing collapses and everyone moves on to the next one. You attract users by showing them things they want to see (friends, follows) and then monetize them by showing them things they don't (ads, promoted posts) while making it as hard to leave as possible

https://www.wired.com/story/tiktok-platforms-cory-doctorow/

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

hadji murad posted:

Okay I stand corrected, his patreon only making 300 bucks is funnier

Posting is it's own reward

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

The business model of social media is to be fun to use while losing money and building a userbase, then gradually turn the dial from fun towards profitability until the experience is such trash the whole thing collapses and everyone moves on to the next one. You attract users by showing them things they want to see (friends, follows) and then monetize them by showing them things they don't (ads, promoted posts) while making it as hard to leave as possible

https://www.wired.com/story/tiktok-platforms-cory-doctorow/

The key innovation of social media is that people don't just want to see what their friends and followers are posting. They want to see poo poo that makes them furious so they can doomscroll all day, they want to see clickbait they can reshare with a push of a button to show all their friends and followers negative info about someone they hate.

That is why everything is algorithm-driven. The algorithm detects what posts we actually like, not just the stuff we claim to like or the stuff we think we like. Even if the stuff we like is "pounding out angry comments in people's replies all day like a retired boomer on a news site". It's a highly-optimized clickbait delivery system designed to determine exactly what kinds of clickbait we're most likely to click on.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

"Engagement" is not the same as enjoying. Do not buy into their framing of it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Clarste posted:

"Engagement" is not the same as enjoying. Do not buy into their framing of it.

Yes, but you can't measure enjoyment, which means you can't use it to sell eyeballs for advertising.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If nothing else, Threads is certainly making Elon Musk very much Not Mad. Even if the platform crashes and burns, that's enough for me right now.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/instagrams-threads-bursts-gate-millions-sign-ups-rcna92827

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Main Paineframe posted:

The key innovation of social media is that people don't just want to see what their friends and followers are posting. They want to see poo poo that makes them furious so they can doomscroll all day, they want to see clickbait they can reshare with a push of a button to show all their friends and followers negative info about someone they hate.

That is why everything is algorithm-driven. The algorithm detects what posts we actually like, not just the stuff we claim to like or the stuff we think we like. Even if the stuff we like is "pounding out angry comments in people's replies all day like a retired boomer on a news site". It's a highly-optimized clickbait delivery system designed to determine exactly what kinds of clickbait we're most likely to click on.

I'm not sure "like" is an accurate term here. They've found that it produces engagement, which is not the same thing. It detects things you interact with, not things you quietly appreciate while healing psychic damage. And it makes you want to engage with it by holding your social graph hostage and monopolizing media publishing so there's nowhere else to go

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

whydirt posted:

If nothing else, Threads is certainly making Elon Musk very much Not Mad. Even if the platform crashes and burns, that's enough for me right now.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/instagrams-threads-bursts-gate-millions-sign-ups-rcna92827
Agreed

He’s 100% going to start blocking links to Threads soon

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

I'm not sure "like" is an accurate term here. They've found that it produces engagement, which is not the same thing. It detects things you interact with, not things you quietly appreciate while healing psychic damage. And it makes you want to engage with it by holding your social graph hostage and monopolizing media publishing so there's nowhere else to go

People love interacting with poo poo they hate. Look at how many threads there are on SA dedicated to posting poo poo we hate so we can dunk on it. Look at how many posters have made that poo poo their entire posting identity. And SA doesn't have an algorithm we can blame that on!

People loving love seeing a tweet that makes them mad and then typing an angry comment in the replies and then sharing the tweet to all their friends so their friends can laugh about how bad it is and type angry replies about it too. I see that poo poo all over spaces that aren't algorithm-driven, like SA or Discord. Entire threads and channels dedicated to just reposting tweets from dumbasses everyone in the thread/channel hates, and then laughing about them.

Yeah, it wrecks people's emotional health and makes them absolutely miserable in the long run, but at the same time, they love it so much that they just can't stop coming back for those easy highs. People will complain all day about how Twitter makes them miserable, but they're not closing the app or deleting their accounts - they're staying glued to the screen, doomscrolling every day for things to complain about, even as they complain about how much they "hate" Twitter. The social media app isn't forcing them to do that, they're doing it because they love it so much that they just can't stop.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I don't think feeling compelled to do it is the same as loving it unless you're using "love" very loosely

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

Main Paineframe posted:

People love interacting with poo poo they hate. Look at how many threads there are on SA dedicated to posting poo poo we hate so we can dunk on it. Look at how many posters have made that poo poo their entire posting identity. And SA doesn't have an algorithm we can blame that on!

People loving love seeing a tweet that makes them mad and then typing an angry comment in the replies and then sharing the tweet to all their friends so their friends can laugh about how bad it is and type angry replies about it too. I see that poo poo all over spaces that aren't algorithm-driven, like SA or Discord. Entire threads and channels dedicated to just reposting tweets from dumbasses everyone in the thread/channel hates, and then laughing about them.

Yeah, it wrecks people's emotional health and makes them absolutely miserable in the long run, but at the same time, they love it so much that they just can't stop coming back for those easy highs. People will complain all day about how Twitter makes them miserable, but they're not closing the app or deleting their accounts - they're staying glued to the screen, doomscrolling every day for things to complain about, even as they complain about how much they "hate" Twitter. The social media app isn't forcing them to do that, they're doing it because they love it so much that they just can't stop.

I wonder if there's a parallel to smoking/non-smoking bar regulations here. It used to be that the vast majority of bars allowed smoking, and individual bars who went non-smoking didn't see notable increases in business. When there started being city-wide and state-wide regulations in places, all the bars saw increased business relative to the pre-regulation time. The explanation that stuck to me is that the size of the crowd was somewhat correlated to business (more people = more likely to run into friends/make new friends), but that smoking kept away a percentage of non-smokers. When the regulations became active, there were more non-smokers that started coming out than smokers that stayed home, driving the increase in everyone's business.

I'll agree that there are people who enjoy hateposting, and will enjoy it even if they won't admit it due to social acceptability. I do wonder how much that crowd size effect ends up justifying the way things are, and the extent that plays into platform decisions. I don't think you'll get away from algorithmic manipulation, people reaching the 'end' of their feed will generate less ad money than endless scrolling, but I'm not sure hateposting is as necessary to the success as it might seem.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

She didn't have time or energy to respond to Twitter's collapse over the weekend, but look! She wants to talk to you now a competitor has launched.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Competitors are good because then they actually have to compete and keep each other in check by doing less stupid poo poo.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Szmitten posted:

Competitors are good because then they actually have to compete and keep each other in check by doing less increasingly stupid poo poo.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
Everyone's voice matters*

* if they are white male cissies, rich, or just a big frothing puddle of hate

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Hadn't heard of this until now. More mud in Musk's eye at the very least.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/black-twitter-users-spill-app-rcna92456

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

My point of reference was WWF vs WCW and this tracks with that too.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
everyone's voice matters, particularly if they pay us money to put their awful posts at the top of the replies

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So there’s no way to limit Threads to just the people you follow? Seems like a trash app.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Apparently there's a way in the options to turn off suggested posts so it just shows you posts from who you follow.

Not sure how well it works. At the moment it apparently doesn't really run in a browser and gently caress downloading an app for it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

whydirt posted:

Hadn't heard of this until now. More mud in Musk's eye at the very least.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/black-twitter-users-spill-app-rcna92456
I did a double take because years ago there was a website, spill.com, which was an entertainment site but it’s long-defunct now

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

dr_rat posted:

Apparently there's a way in the options to turn off suggested posts so it just shows you posts from who you follow.

Not sure how well it works. At the moment it apparently doesn't really run in a browser and gently caress downloading an app for it.

This is a fun generational thing because here I am thinking what psychopath browses social media (or a forum) on a browser in 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I do because it's my primary distraction while at work! :colbert: