Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, it was primarily a labor and contract dispute between a PMC and the Russian government. But that's not the same as just a coordinated media op to trick outsiders.

It might also have been to expose anyone who might not be totally loyal.

Oh snipe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

It might also have been to expose anyone who might not be totally loyal.

Pretty extreme op if that was the case. Being so publicly scared of disloyalty that you sacrifice an IL-22 and a helicopter or maybe more than one is a bit over the top.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I wouldn't let the IAEA look at anything that is any way sensitive

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Pretty extreme op if that was the case. Being so publicly scared of disloyalty that you sacrifice an IL-22 and a helicopter or maybe more than one is a bit over the top.

Well the fact that the dude is already back in Russia, hanging out with friends, doesn't really lend itself to the "dude who tried to coup Putin" narrative.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Like it would be so lovely if you're in the Russian air force and lost a bunch of coworkers and at least one pretty rare aircraft and then was told "don't worry, it was all just a trick to fool people, RIP your coworkers." I guess such is life, if that was the case. I think it's more likely that it was a contract/labor dispute that got way out of hand before they came to a deal and their senses.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Well the fact that the dude is already back in Russia, hanging out with friends, doesn't really lend itself to the "dude who tried to coup Putin" narrative.

Yeah, I never said it was a coup. A labor dispute is not a coup.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the special operation seems to be a labor dispute between russia and ukraine

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

The photo of the “IL-22” being shot down was a 2 engine not 4 engine plane (the il-22 is a 4 engine plane) and footage of the theoretical wreckage has been contradictory and unrecognizable (at least one image may have been reused from another crash). The area where it was supposedly shot down was also off the highway and not within Panstir range. The helicopter wreckage is also similar in its lack of clarity.

Otherwise, supposedly some cars and trucks got destroyed.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Jul 6, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

bedpan posted:

I wouldn't let the IAEA look at anything that is any way sensitive

i would let them

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7252407185898999086

emgeejay has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Jul 6, 2023

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I doubt the whole Wagner thing was staged, because Putin seems genuinely pissed off about Prigozhin's temper tantrum and probably can't let it go. If Prigozhin is back in Russia it's probably to be submitted to some new humiliation.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

KomradeX posted:

I guess it was an op

But what was the op? an attempt to expose traitors?

Or my preferred explanation because it would be hilarious. The US tried bribe Prigozhin into staging a coup to throw Russia into disarray opening up their defensive line to the counter-attack. But Prigozhin had no intention of doing that and conspired with Putin to stage just enough of a coup to get paid by the US, at which point he called it off and split the cash with Putin.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I doubt the whole Wagner thing was staged, because Putin seems genuinely pissed off about Prigozhin's temper tantrum and probably can't let it go. If Prigozhin is back in Russia it's probably to be submitted to some new humiliation.

Putin hates him so much he allowed Prigozhin’s forces to keep their heavy weapons.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, but the Western media very clearly can’t accept that. YouTubers and the NYT are still going nuts over it.

How much has the territory they taken just the result of adding up all the no-man’s land they through bodies into at this point?

All of the territory, at least in the southern front which was supposed to be the major focus of the offensive, that Ukraine has taken thus far is the security zone before Russia's first main line of defense that isn't supposed to last anyway. In other words its capture doesn't significantly degrade Russia's defenses

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

KRS-Oneishly: "It's going down TONIGHT"

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Ah, Iraq. Sometimes I have fun 1990s end of history memories surface like that Madeleine Albright was cool with killing 500,000 iraqi children, bragged about it even, and that was via starvation and what not at like 500 a day for 3 years.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

The photo of the “IL-22” being shot down was a 2 engine not 4 engine plane (the il-22 is a 4 engine plane)

It may have been an aircraft of a different type, but I don't want to risk the thread rules by posting a bunch of pictures of a burning plane with crew on board.

If the cost of an op to trick the media types is to shoot down several of your aircraft and lead to public VKS funerals, I guess that's real commitment to the op.

Putin did expressly state that Wagner's mutiny killed Russian military personnel. Chatter on telegram was that the VKS in particular was pissed off by how irresponsible Wagner was in surface-to-air engagements during the mutiny.

e: yeah, the tail number and fuselage of the downed plane matches an IL-22 known to be operated by the VKS, and the wing shape of the plane going down on flames is decidedly not the shape of an AN-26's wings or body, but shaped like an IL-22. And the Russian government has not denied any of the claims that an IL-22 was shot down. It's possible these are all elaborate photoshops and prop wreckage set up by Russia to trick people into thinking an IL-22 was shot down when they actually lost a different airplane, but occam's razor and all.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 17:59 on Jul 6, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Priggy has already given up most of his PMC force, except the hard core african veterans. So Priggozhin has been declawed. Him going o his mansion to pick up his favorite firearm gifts doesn't suggest Putin and Priggozhin were in on the con, or he is allowed to move back to Russia.

Now if we hear more MOD high level management changes, then we can have more data to guess the original motive of Prigozhin's "labor dispute protest rebellion."

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
As always sanctions are about directly hurting the regime, they never do that. They are about inflicting immense suffering on the population in some misguided idea that a starving population being directly attacked by the US through sanctions will somehow muster the strength to rise up and overthrow their leaders for the benefit of the US.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Organ Fiend posted:

They *could* if they want to, but it's not free. They're still spending huge amounts of money, resources and lives on this war, even if 'the west' is losing more.

The calculus for the US is to offer Russia something more valuable to Russia than what could be gained from continuing the war (minus the cost of the war). Simultaneously, what they offer must be less painful for them than the cost of continued support of Ukraine.

Ultimately, I believe these things will converge and we'll have a negotiated settlement because the US controls Ukraine, and I don't think they're ready to die in nuclear hellfire for Ukraine.

Though Russia would have to be beyond stupid to trust anythint The West or The Ukriane say at this, after how they bragged about how the Minsk agreements were them buying time for this war. Leaving Ukraine as anything but a Galacian rump just means you're giving them time to rearm and reorganize to shell Donbas again

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Marenghi posted:

But what was the op? an attempt to expose traitors?

Or my preferred explanation because it would be hilarious. The US tried bribe Prigozhin into staging a coup to throw Russia into disarray opening up their defensive line to the counter-attack. But Prigozhin had no intention of doing that and conspired with Putin to stage just enough of a coup to get paid by the US, at which point he called it off and split the cash with Putin.

Hell if I know. Maybe some weird internal poo poo. Cause thats the only way any of this makes a lick of sense

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Priggy has already given up most of his PMC force, except the hard core african veterans. So Priggozhin has been declawed. Him going o his mansion to pick up his favorite firearm gifts doesn't suggest Putin and Priggozhin were in on the con, or he is allowed to move back to Russia.

Now if we hear more MOD high level management changes, then we can have more data to guess the original motive of Prigozhin's "labor dispute protest rebellion."

All of his other enterprises are defunct too. Seems like a lot of effort and sacrifice for a kayfabe.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
You don’t leave an actual enemy of the state alive with an army and free reign to travel in your country.

KomradeX posted:

Though Russia would have to be beyond stupid to trust anythint The West or The Ukriane say at this, after how they bragged about how the Minsk agreements were them buying time for this war. Leaving Ukraine as anything but a Galacian rump just means you're giving them time to rearm and reorganize to shell Donbas again

I really doubt a budget deficit is going to drive the Russians to the table, especially since in some ways it is an economic benefit to the country. The US has nothing to give the Russians.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
maybe they're gonna go old school and make priggy tour the country while hecklers jeer and throw rotten produce at him?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Which actor do you think did it?

Tom Cruise. He's got the training for it and I think he's got the right mix of patriotism, crazy, and slavish devotion to cults to be a secret agent

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Buffer posted:

Ah, Iraq. Sometimes I have fun 1990s end of history memories surface like that Madeleine Albright was cool with killing 500,000 iraqi children, bragged about it even, and that was via starvation and what not at like 500 a day for 3 years.

Yeah, Russia's war of genocide against Ukraine has fewer casualties, both from military strikes and economic collateral, than America's savage wars of peace.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

You don’t leave an actual enemy of the state alive with an army and free reign to travel in your country.

I really doubt a budget deficit is going to drive the Russians to the table, especially since in some ways it is an economic benefit to the country. The US has nothing to give the Russians.

I don't think its likely they'll take a deal when just more continual pressure will get them what they want anyway

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KomradeX posted:

I don't think its likely they'll take a deal when just more continual pressure will get them what they want anyway

We don’t know how long this war will go for but if the Ukrainians are already in the shape they seem to be then I don’t know why they wouldn’t just continue just doing what they are doing. They have plenty of troops and they are building plenty more material and there isn’t any pressure from the public.

Putting everything of Pirgozhin’s “rebels” to make another go?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

spacetoaster posted:

So all it takes to have "a history of trolling" and get banned is 10 posts over the course of a year in a megathread that are just slightly sarcastic arguments against a mod's position?

lol

He got banned by Russia.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

KomradeX posted:

This is true.

However, I don't believe that Russia has any interest in occupying or annexing west Ukraine. There's nothing of value there, and it would just put Nazi partisans inside their borders and loving Poland on their border. Better to leave the Nazis in a Nazistan that also serves as a buffer between Russia and Poland.

So there is a point where Russia has taken everything it could conceivably want, but Ukraine still, technically, exists entirely within Galicia. At this point I think we see a negotiated ceasefire where Russia has everything it wants, and the West doesn't have to concede defeat while simultaneously not needing to pump money and weapons into Ukraine.

I.e. a frozen conflict, like the Korean war.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Russian tsarist twitter seems to have shifted towards complaining about gay pride & fake chicken, think this counter-offensive's a bust

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There may be a point even Galicia doesn’t want to keep up with the war, maybe the Russians will go that far or maybe they won’t but I suspect the actual amount of hardcore supporters of the government is less than a lot of people think. The men who really care have been self selecting themselves, and if they aren’t willing to volunteer now, I don’t know if they are going to fight to death in the future.

Neurolimal posted:

Russian tsarist twitter seems to have shifted towards complaining about gay pride & fake chicken, think this counter-offensive's a bust

It is kind of hilarious even Russian nationalists don’t seem to actually want Russia to win deep down since the “right type” of Russia isn’t winning.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
give the eu to russia

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Nix Panicus posted:

Yeah, Russia's war of genocide against Ukraine has fewer casualties, both from military strikes and economic collateral, than America's savage wars of peace.

according to the UN numbers I think it's less than an average foggy bottom thursday

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The best thing for the EU is to forget about the US and NATO, and embrace being a dusty museum with bike lanes.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

The delivery of Danish, Dutch and German Leopard 1s has been delayed.

The herding of cats going well

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012
The Ukrainian dolchstoßlegende is starting to take its incredibly lame form.
https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1676947008253497352
Lifelong servants of the American empire are now tankies doing imperialism by trying to negotiate an end to the war. Eternal curses to the NGO liberals who taught the Ukrainian government to talk like this.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

americans cannot do treason to ukraine lol what a dumbass

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
no but wanting peace anywhere is a treasonous crime in the united states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Al! posted: