Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Steadiman posted:

Still good for Zuck that he finally made something that has legs

The current social media environment has kind of "forced" people to look for other options.

Threads dropped early and incomplete based on Twitter animosity. Its obviously going to get a big hit initially, but it will die down, even among Instagram users I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffle House posted:

Has Elon Musk ever actually done anything, himself, other than call a dude in Thailand a pedophile or whatever that was

One time he put gems from his Dads Diamond Mine in his pocket

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Infinitum posted:

One time he put gems from his Dads Diamond Mine in his pocket

!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffle House posted:

Has Elon Musk ever actually done anything, himself, other than call a dude in Thailand a pedophile or whatever that was

Fired a man on the official written--in-blood Do Not Fire list, and belittled him, thinking he was some nobody code-toucher.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

elon dad: alright son why are there cookies missing from the cookie jar and diamonds missing from the diamond jar
elon: looking into it

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The only really good thing about Threads (so far) is the proposed integration with the Fediverse.

And no Instagram influencer is going to gently caress with that bullshit.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Hell yeah I love REAL-TIME information

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Have they said the integration is anything other than read-only rss style feeds? The little bit of official stuff posted in this thread has only mentioned others being able to "find you" and presumably read your posts

E: eh, I guess there's no real reason not to let you subscribe to external feeds as long as they still have all the analytics and can wrap ads around it, it doesn't really matter where the content came from if you're still in their garden

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 6, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

I'm mashing that last one but it won't sign me up!

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Sentient Data posted:

Have they said the integration is anything other than read-only rss style feeds? The little bit of official stuff posted in this thread has only mentioned others being able to "find you" and presumably read your posts

E: eh, I guess there's no real reason not to let you subscribe to external feeds as long as they still have all the analytics and can wrap ads around it, it doesn't really matter where the content came from if you're still in their garden

Do you mean Fediverse integration? From what I have read it seems it will be the same as you can currently do with Mastodon etc...Move your account to another instance, follow others from a different instance, etc...

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Radio Paranoia posted:

I'm mashing that last one but it won't sign me up!

Get more moist

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

when do we get embedded Thread and Bluesky "posts" on the forums

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

tbqh everything is better on Facebook including the memes

CaptainZot
Aug 11, 2000

Endorph posted:

elon dad: alright son why are there cookies missing from the cookie jar and diamonds missing from the diamond jar
elon: looking into it
elon dad: where is mother
elon: mother-mother or sister-mother
elon dad: yes
elon: concerning

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Waffle House posted:

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Waffle House posted:

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Waffle House posted:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

😂😂😂 the mastermemer at work sir

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Wait, wait, wait, the only thing not better on Facebook is Elon Musk getting triggered by NAFO

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Lovin' the vibe from the main Twitter bg:

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Lol on that because kids nowadays have MTB pedals with pins that will gently caress you up.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Has Elon done a public meltdown yet, or at least a rolling with the punches "I'm not mad" post?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

keep punching joe posted:

Has Elon done a public meltdown yet, or at least a rolling with the punches "I'm not mad" post?

I think everyone here who uses Twitter has him blocked and all the people who he interacts with blocked, so who knows.

I havent seen him or a bluecheck in ages.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

keep punching joe posted:

Hasn't that basically been his entire posting persona since the Twitter sale went through?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Endorph posted:

like if anything these signup numbers look pretty bad for threads because instagram has something like 500 million daily users and less than 10% of them have bothered.

In no world is 10% of your user base converting in less than 24 hours a failure when the average person still hasn’t heard about Threads through word of mouth yet lol

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

JUNGLE BOY posted:

In no world is 10% of your user base converting in less than 24 hours a failure when the average person still hasn’t heard about Threads through word of mouth yet lol

All the big Instagram accounts were on there before it went public. I'm not sure how long specifically. The feed was full of their version of verified initially.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

i dont think theyre going to because near as i can tell threads is 90% mcdonalds and wendy's 69ing in each other's replies

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It's never going to be not be funny that Elon gifted Threads a massive head start by driving away his user base because he's mad about AI

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

She has 139M followers on instagram.

They would all get a notification to Follow her on Threads when she imported her followers from Instagram.

Wee fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 6, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kazil posted:

It's never going to be not be funny that Elon gifted Threads a massive head start by driving away his user base because he's mad about AI how his wife left him for a trans woman

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Riven posted:

Lol on that because kids nowadays have MTB pedals with pins that will gently caress you up.

Right? I got scrapes from pedals when I was a kid. I hosed up on my bike pedals once and have scars.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

waffle iron posted:

https://www.garbageday.email/p/paying-to-use-a-site-you-cant-use

https://faineg.substack.com/p/facebooks-terrible-uncle-strategy

Here are a couple good articles on Twitter and Facebook. The second one brings up the point that if Threads makes it easy for all my annoying extended family members to find my posts (because they follow me on FB and IG) then I want nothing to do with it.

Oh, gently caress no.

Grey Cat posted:

Can't post nudity on threads, so basically useless.

:(
Well, that's a deal killer.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

*takes an entire box of Quietus*

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Apparently Threads also doxxed a sex worker by scraping her real name off an unrelated site and adding that to her profile instead of her professional alias.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Wee posted:

She has 139M followers on instagram.

They would all get a notification to Follow her on Threads when she imported her followers from Instagram.

That’s not how it works. You don’t “import your followers”

People have to opt into following all their insta follows or select which ones individually

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Buce posted:

*takes an entire box of Quietus*

Hell yeah, save some for me

...why do I keep getting reddit cares messages??

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Bronze Fonz posted:

Lovin' the vibe from the main Twitter bg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

JUNGLE BOY posted:

That’s not how it works. You don’t “import your followers”

People have to opt into following all their insta follows or select which ones individually

Yeah, they get a Friend notification and can choose to follow Ellen.